Potatoes In Thailand

sanpakwan

I buy potatoes from my local supermarket near Chiang Mai. I have found them to be excellent friers and bakers making great british chips, but a poor mashed or plain boiled potatoe. They mash o.k. but return to their solid state soon after cooling. I have added milk or butter, to return the liqiud,pepper taste a little better but not as good as the British spud which fluffs up so easily, creamy smooth.

Any one know what strain they are growing?

Interesting topic, but I have no experience in growing potatoes in Thailand. I know for sure when i become a long term visitor in Thailand I will grow my own potatoes even if I have to smuggle them from Norway.

But I will prefer to do it the legal way.

Someone must know where to find seed potato. ( set potato).

And of cause we are talking about potatoes for dinner meals. Fried-boiled- baked- mashed, whatever.;)

Interesting topic, but I have no experience in growing potatoes in Thailand. I know for sure when i become a long term visitor in Thailand I will grow my own potatoes even if I have to smuggle them from Norway.

And of cause we are talking about potatoes for dinner meals. Fried-boiled- baked- mashed, whatever.;)

The problem is,that it is hard to get a "Jack of all Trades" spud, most varieties are developed to suit a specific pupose,IE.the best baking tater does not mash well.

The main potato grown here was developed for growing in tropical area for the potato crisp trade , they are classed as chipping potatoes and most of the potatoes available in outlets here are only factory rejects from that trade.

Rimpings Supermarkets used to air freight potatoes from Oz ,but you paid through the nose for them.

The problem is,that it is hard to get a "Jack of all Trades" spud, most varieties are developed to suit a specific pupose,IE.the best baking tater does not mash well.

The main potato grown here was developed for growing in tropical area for the potato crisp trade , they are classed as chipping potatoes and most of the potatoes available in outlets here are only factory rejects from that trade.

Rimpings Supermarkets used to air freight potatoes from Oz ,but you paid through the nose for them.

That would explain why they make good chips I notice thy contain less water

In the supermarkets in the U.K. potatoes will have a label on the bag or box stating the variety, we can then choose for example: maris piper for frying king edward for boiling,charlotte for new and salads.

Any Idea what we have here in Thailand does it have a name we can compare with

At 30baht or less per kilo retail, I assume they are grown locally up in the mountains where it's not so hot. Or someone is making a huge loss.

Air freight or temperature controled sea freight would be expensive.

Tesco uk is about the same price for home grown. with a wider choice of course.

Are the potatoes sold in the supermarkets actually grown in Thailand? I seem to remember from previous threads that people who have tried to grow them here have had little success.

Most of the potatoes sold in Thailand are from PR China ... Potatoes are grown locally on contract to Lay's or some of the Thai-based snack makers.

There are varieties of potato that are grown in Northern Florida including red skinned varieties ... I would think some of those warm weather varieties would do well if you built some above ground grow boxes.

e.g. http://www.utahpreppers.com/2009/05/potato-grow-boxes/

Many Thanks for the link.

I will be back in Thailand in January. I plan to try out these grow boxes with a few sample sets

,Hope to see the results before the climate gets too hot.

Most of the potatoes sold in Thailand are from PR China ... Potatoes are grown locally on contract to Lay's or some of the Thai-based snack makers.

There are varieties of potato that are grown in Northern Florida including red skinned varieties ... I would think some of those warm weather varieties would do well if you built some above ground grow boxes.

e.g. http://www.utahprepp...ato-grow-boxes/

There may be only one variety of potato available in Thailand,which I have been told by an Australian professional grower,that other varieties will not grow successfully,due to the the soil,and bugs,diseases and general conditions.

All the Supermarket seems to be only selling one type,by all appearances.

Oh for some King Edwards,Maris Pipers,and Pentland Javelin.

And new Jersey Royals for the ultimate Potato Salad.

Edited by MAJIC

There may be only one variety of potato available in Thailand,which I have been told by an Australian professional grower,that other varieties will not grow successfully,due to the the soil,and bugs,diseases and general conditions.

All the Supermarket seems to be only selling one type,by all appearances.

Oh for some King Edwards,Maris Pipers,and Pentland Javelin.

And new Jersey Royals for the ultimate Potato Salad.

Or some Brownells,Binjes , Up to Dates , or the ultimate Chrissy dinner tater ,the Pink Eye.

To investigate planting above ground varieties of potatoes other than what could be bought locally you have to use in Google the term 'True potato seed' or TPS rather than 'potato seed' which will give you results for the 'seed potato' tuber.

Are the potatoes sold in the supermarkets actually grown in Thailand? I seem to remember from previous threads that people who have tried to grow them here have had little success.

I think I recall seeing, a sign for a 'Chiang Mai Potato Growers Association', or co-operative. Somewhere a bit north of Mae-Jo ?

Many people have tried to grow potatoes and many have failed.

If you want to grow potatoes, I suggest that you start with something easier like tomatoes. Tomatoes are in the same family as potatoes and both suffer from stem rot here. They can be doing quite well and then the stems just turn to mush. I don't know if this problem is fungal or what, but if you can sort that problem out, you will maybe do well.

I haven't tried to grow potatoes for a long time, if I ever get the inclination to try again I would use cut off bottles to get the water straight into the soil, it certainly helps with tomatoes. On no account get the foliage wet.

Thanks to a suggestion by Jandtaa, I now cut the bottom off of plastic bottles and bury it upside down with about a third standing proud. Filling this with a watering can (spray rose removed) takes the water straight down to the roots without getting the foliage wet. It may help with potatoes as well.

Potatoes are almost ready to be planted in Mae Sot now in early December.

The farmers first deep plowed, now are laying sprinkler pipe,

and will soon plow the ridges and plant.

The neighbor fields to my farm have grown potatoes for the second year now.

They are a white potato, presumably mainly for potato chips.

When they harvest, they are bagged in two different color net bags.

Last year the nice big ones were bagged in green, and trucked out immediately,

while the small ones were bagged in yellow, and stored for local retail sale.

If anyone wants to buy seed when the March harvest comes,

the small ones might be a good buy.

Of course you have to hold them in cool storage for 8 months until next Winter.

I've asked my farm manager to ask if we can buy seed at the same time theirs is delivered.

What I saw last year convinced me that I want to be in this myself.

My observation is that heavier irrigation with much more fertilizer would roughly triple the yield.

But irrigation is always thought to be adequate when the surface is soaked,

and fertilizer is seen as an unbearable cost and gamble.

We are already prepared with a very heavy sprinkler irrigation system,

and an all season river to pump.

Just a matter of seed, ground prep, and planting.

Many people have tried to grow potatoes and many have failed.

If you want to grow potatoes, I suggest that you start with something easier like tomatoes. Tomatoes are in the same family as potatoes and both suffer from stem rot here. They can be doing quite well and then the stems just turn to mush. I don't know if this problem is fungal or what, but if you can sort that problem out, you will maybe do well.

I haven't tried to grow potatoes for a long time, if I ever get the inclination to try again I would use cut off bottles to get the water straight into the soil, it certainly helps with tomatoes. On no account get the foliage wet.

Thanks to a suggestion by Jandtaa, I now cut the bottom off of plastic bottles and bury it upside down with about a third standing proud. Filling this with a watering can (spray rose removed) takes the water straight down to the roots without getting the foliage wet. It may help with potatoes as well.

French Fried Tomato dosn't seem quite as appealing

Waiting for further details now,

but here's initial information learned yesterday.

A company based in Chiang Mai provides Seed Potato to growers who agree to sell to them.

The cost of the seed is B35/kg.

The planting rate is 200 kg / rai => 1,250 kg/ha

For farmers who don't have money to do it all themselves

They also provide crop financing for the crop,

which is deducted from the harvest.

Will report more as I learn it.

I intend to plant a river bottom field of 1.5 hectare

if this Company's system allows for a new Grower on short notice.

Sprinklers already in place for three years,

so for me it's a matter of ground prep and plant.

• 3 weeks later...

Spunta is indeed a Dutch variety. In Thailand it is grown mainly for consumption, its shape is long and its flesh light-yellow. For processing a variety called Atlantic is more suitable, tuber is round, white-flesh and a higher dry matter content then Atlantic. Also the sugar content of Atlantic is lower and there fore more suitable for frying. The used grow Kennebec in Thailand as well, not sure if they still do.

Be careful with using "home saved" seed, the growing conditions in Thailand are not the best for seed potato production. Virus infected crops leave virus infected tubers, when using seed from these crops the yield potential for the next crop is already reduced. Only use the best looking plants for seed.

Edited by CMexpat