Electric Service

Gonsalviz

If the poles and LV conductors are on your private property you will own them from the point of supply, that is the point where the supply conductors connect to your conductors (this is generally at the point of metering in Thailand). Metering is the responsibility of the PEA

The poles and conductors on public property are owned by maintained by the PEA/MEA.

They may well ask you to contribute some of the capital cost to extend their network. Contributing to the capital cost does not mean that it will become your property.

You should check with the PEA first for their requirements.

If the poles and LV conductors are on your private property you will own them from the point of supply, that is the point where the supply conductors connect to your conductors (this is generally at the point of metering in Thailand). Metering is the responsibility of the PEA

The poles and conductors on public property are owned by maintained by the PEA/MEA.

They may well ask you to contribute some of the capital cost to extend their network. Contributing to the capital cost does not mean that it will become your property.

You should check with the PEA first for their requirements.

Obviously what is on my property is mine.

In a previous post I was told to get a quote from PEA to run the lines to my property and give them my requirements. My question was if I have this done, is it probable that they will run the minimum required and allow every Joe farmer along the way to tap in dropping the voltage to my house?

I guess I should have been clearer.

Edited by Gonsalviz

The PEA should plan for future additions and take into account your max demand plus the estimated max demand. They will run a minimum size of conductor with regards to voltage drop and if it is to be single phase or three phase.

A guide might be to allow 2 A per house, 2 x 30 = 60A/3 = 20A per phase plus your max demand in amps.

Conductors would most probably be a minimum of 50A per phase based on three phase supply.

Yes they would be legally entitled to connect subject to PEA requirements.

Edited by electau

• 1 month later...

Well, this is the way it worked out. I had to pay ฿300,000 to run single phase 2 Km to my building site but this includes a transformer that is mine alone.

The alternative for 3 phase would have been to run a line for 3.5 Km at a cost of ฿ 2.5 million.

I was studying the electrical system they have in my area and it is amazing that anything electric works in Thailand. Entire villages run off of a single transformer that is miles away. My wife's parents village transformer is at least 200 meters away from the nearest house and 1 km from the last house in the village. Then people have strung wires for Kms away to power their houses, rubber presses, etc. :blink:

• 1 month later...
I was studying the electrical system they have in my area and it is amazing that anything electric works in Thailand. Entire villages run off of a single transformer that is miles away. My wife's parents village transformer is at least 200 meters away from the nearest house and 1 km from the last house in the village. Then people have strung wires for Kms away to power their houses, rubber presses, etc. :blink:

Pretty wild indeed. I am having major voltage drop issues at my house which 830 meters away from the nearest transformer and the last house to boot. When I have mentioned this to my wife she assures me that this is just how the power works in Thailand :lol: . Everywhere she has ever lived has been fed from undersized conductors and being that this is all she has ever known she thinks I wanting something that just isn't possible.

Can I ask what you paid for your single phase transformer and the kVA rating? There is a 25kV 3phase setup passing by me and I may have to buy my own and install it just inside my property line if I don't want to play the waiting game.