End Of Gasoline 95 Sales?

OK, my wife just sprang this on me, anyone know how true this is?

Apparently our friendly government will ban sale of gasoline 95 from January next year, forcing everyone to use gasahol 95.

Since I have no intention of damaging my engine by attemting to run it on a fuel that it was not designed for (and BMW Germany advised against it) I'd really like to know if anyone else has heard this.

Or (hopefully) my wife is mistaken and something got lost in translation.

yup, but not at the end of the year...gradual phase-out of 95 octane similar to the phase-out of leaded gasoline a few years back.

if your car can't take gasohol, then you can try 91 and place in some additives everytime you fill her up. i think STP has one available in supermarkets.

or maybe plan to get a newer car/engine that can take gasohol

i think Brazil is on E-20 already (20% alcohol content).

Interestingly I got this reply from BMW Thailand, at odds with Germany who said Gasohol is a no-no:-

Dear Customer,

Basically the gasohol fuel-95 can be used in any brand vehicle model that was produced from the year 2000. However, we do not recommend gasohol fuel-95 to be used in any BMW or MINI model that was produced before the year 2000 since it might cause some parts to deteriorate or become defective, as they were not specifically designed to be used with alcohol.

Should you wish to use gasohol fuel-95 with your BMW or MINI model, we would recommend you to switch from gasohol fuel to gasoline fuel at every four tanks of filling due to gasohol fuel is a mixture of gasoline 90 % and alcohol (ethanol) 10%; in which might cause some parts specifically made of plastic to deteriorate or become defective in case of solely using gasohol fuel for a long period.

Please also note that in order for you to use either regular gasoline or gasohol fuel, you must empty the previous fuel content from the system as much as possible, according to an announcement from the Ministry of Energy.

I remember similar advice from th UK govenment when we changed to all unleaded fuel. A LOT of engines were destroyed by valve seat erosion.

I'll stick to real fuel as long as they sell it.

Ethanol is an agricultural product and so they can't produce as much as they like in a short time. Last I read they couldn't even decide what to make it from. I reckon gasohol usage is way below 10% at the moment - it's very unlikely it would make major headways until the end of the year. It's simply not worth the trouble for consumers.

I've also read that due to decreased power output people might run their engines at higher revolutions to keep with the traffic, which defeats the whole purpose.

The issue has been out for months and not once they gave any figures on fuel economy and power.

It's just politicians trying to get in PM's good books.

If I recall, alcohol burns at a higher temperature than gasoline which can mess up gaskets in the engine. Cars designed to use alcohol have to have their whole engines revamped to handle the new fuel. Depending on the ratio of alcohol to gasoline, perhaps it won't be too strong for good quality cars. I have a very thirsty 1981 Toyota and I would be afraid to put even one drop of alcohol in that thing! I guess it's down to 91 if 95 gets phased out.

in the USA I think all gasoline is 10% ethonal,

not sure if its works cost wise but in the USA the corn farmers are a big lobby and get stuff like this pushed thru,

Brazil had  ethonal based cars for years

In Brazil this type of fuel comes from sugar cane alchohol. I dont know what the ratios are but when you have a rainstorm all off the cars that run on alchohol pull to the side of the road and turn off their engines. Can you imagine the kaos this would cause with Bangkok traffic.

Gasohol won't damage the engine itself, but only the fuel lines and gaskets in the fuel system. (fuel pump, carburetor/injection pump,...)

Once the fuel/air mixture is in the engine it doesn't affect anything at all...

In the newer cars (after 2000) the rubber lines / gaskets are of a higher quality and can handle the added alcohol without problems!

My friend and I, stopped at a gas station outside of Pattaya a few months back, seeing the red 95 logo, we stop our bikes next to the pump and fill them up....After looking more closely, I realised there was a slight price difference....Gasohol... :D:D:o ...I didn't notice anything, but they should advise customers when they say "gao ha, tem tank krap"!" not to put 95 gasohol....anyhow the attendants usually have the brains of a one eyed goat....Be careful, what you put in your engines...