Eric Clapton Live In Bangkok 2011

webfact

More to do with one of Eric's contemporaries, I don't recall ever hearing Dave Gilmour play a bum note, does anyone have any recordings where a wrong bend or note is discernible?

Dave Gilmour plays live around once every ten years,Clapton plays live around 10 times every year. But hey they are both great. Use to go and see Dave play in a band called "Jokers Wild" in Cambridge, when we were in our teens. :violin:

jb1

Clapton is willing to take chances and not stay solely in the safe spot, which is also the boring spot and not from the heart. In this area an occasional clunker is to be expected, but also amazing flights of invention can happen. I'll gladly take the risk of a clam for the possibility of incredible improvisation.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll bet the show was fantastic! Besides being a great musician himself, Clapton has one of the great backing bands around, Chris Stainton on keys, Willie Weeks on bass and the incomparable Steve Gadd (think Steely Dan Aja drum solo).

For those who couldn't make the show and for blues guitar lovers in general, I would highly recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00428CPUY/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=1278548962&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003VB5D84&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=08P4831PMK7GAC07TKAD

Spee, Thanks for that. I was wondering which band Steve Gadd, originated from.

jb1

More to do with one of Eric's contemporaries, I don't recall ever hearing Dave Gilmour play a bum note, does anyone have any recordings where a wrong bend or note is discernible?

Dave Gilmour plays live around once every ten years,Clapton plays live around 10 times every year. But hey they are both great. Use to go and see Dave play in a band called "Jokers Wild" in Cambridge, when we were in our teens. :violin:

jb1

Clapton is willing to take chances and not stay solely in the safe spot, which is also the boring spot and not from the heart. In this area an occasional clunker is to be expected, but also amazing flights of invention can happen. I'll gladly take the risk of a clam for the possibility of incredible improvisation.

Well said animatic. Couldn't have put it better myself.lol

jb1

Many have asked the question.."Can a white guy really play the blues?"

Give me Keb'Mo style of blues over old slowhand anyday..thats just pure unadulterated talent..can't be faked.

After considering some of his song titles you could be forgiven for thinking he has spent some time in LOS..:rolleyes:

"Thats not love"...."Hand it over"...."Anybody seen my girl".....and who could forget the old classic "Perpetual blues machine", to name but a few

scary aint it? :lol:

jb1

I like them both & while you dont hear blues from Gilmore much he sure can.

Gilmore when he did that muddy waters trib cd with Paul Rodgers did "Standing Around Crying" & was excellent

Clapton of course has tons of blues & Have You Ever Loved a Woman was great...Also some stuff he did with various guys like Doyle Brahmhall II

Take a listen..............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYw8QjaIKfU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T0awKzrVPg

Edited by flying

jb1

I like them both & while you dont hear blues from Gilmore much he sure can.

Gilmore when he did that muddy waters trib cd with Paul Rodgers did "Standing Around Crying" & was excellent

Clapton of course has tons of blues & Have You Ever Loved a Woman was great...Also some stuff he did with various guys like Doyle Brahmhall II

Take a listen..............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYw8QjaIKfU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T0awKzrVPg

Hi Flying,

Just listened to "Standing around Crying" Thanks for that. It is now added to my favourites. When I get my itunes sorted out will put it on my iPod. Going a little off topic. Paul rodgers seems to like doing tributes. I have an live album he did with Queen, for Freddie. Still a great voice.

jb1

Many have asked the question.."Can a white guy really play the blues?"

All of the black greats both living and recently deceased have freely acknowledged there are many great white bluesmen (edit: and blueswomen). Their main point almost across the board, is that it's the soul that makes the music not the color of the skin and speed of the fingers.

You can hear some of these phrases and discussions in the CD "In Session: Albert King and Stevie Ray Vaughn" and in the DVD from Clapton's 2010 Crossroads Guitar Festival in Chicago.

All of the black greats to a man would freely admit that Clapton is a great bluesman through and through. What separates Clapton from the field is that he continued to work and perfect all of the different blues guitar styles.

Give me Keb'Mo style of blues over old slowhand anyday..thats just pure unadulterated talent..can't be faked.

Kevin Moore aka Keb'Mo' is a great guitar player with any style of guitar. The steel guitar just happens to be his bread and butter.

Edited by Spee

Hi Flying,

Just listened to "Standing around Crying" Thanks for that. It is now added to my favourites. When I get my itunes sorted out will put it on my iPod. Going a little off topic. Paul rodgers seems to like doing tributes. I have an live album he did with Queen, for Freddie. Still a great voice.

jb1

Hi jb1....yes Rodgers does seem to do tributes a lot & Does have a killer voice

That track Standing Around Crying has some GREAT blues guitar by Gilmore one of my favorites

If you get a chance check out that CD.....It also has Jeff Beck doing Good Morning Little school girl

Gary Moore doing She Moves Me

Buddy Guy doing an acoustic Muddy Water blues

Neal Schon has a couple of tunes on there & other greats too

I bought it in 93 when it first came out & you can probably get it all free online somewhere

http://www.amazon.com/Muddy-Water-Blues-Tribute-Waters/dp/B00006JOCR

The old bluesmen grew up playing a "Guitar" made out of a shoebox with some kind of neck cobbled on & God knows what for strings. Whether from the Mississippi Delta or Chicago they are great. This is what Jeff Beck, Keith Richards, Eric Clapton & John Mayall grew up listening to.

Not black but Jeff Beck can trade licks with the best of them. So could Stevie Ray Vaughn. So can Billy Gibbons, Kenny Wayne Shephard & the 17 year old phenom Jonnie Lange.

My faves are Robert Cray & the Ice Man Albert Collins. Robert Cray blew EC off the stage in Madison Square garden a few years ago. Butch Trucks Doyle Bramhall II - stunning.

The old bluesmen grew up playing a "Guitar" made out of a shoebox with some kind of neck cobbled on & God knows what for strings. Whether from the Mississippi Delta or Chicago they are great. This is what Jeff Beck, Keith Richards, Eric Clapton & John Mayall grew up listening to.

Not black but Jeff Beck can trade licks with the best of them. So could Stevie Ray Vaughn. So can Billy Gibbons, Kenny Wayne Shephard & the 17 year old phenom Jonnie Lange.

My faves are Robert Cray & the Ice Man Albert Collins. Robert Cray blew EC off the stage in Madison Square garden a few years ago. Butch Trucks Doyle Bramhall II - stunning.

Went to see Clapton at the Royal Albert Hall a few years back. Robert Cray was in his band (they are great friends), along with Andy Fairweather-Lowe & Nathan East, I forget who the drummer was. A great show. Also saw Robert Cray at the Cambridge Corn Exchange. A pre tour warm up gig, excellent.

jb1

& the 17 year old phenom Jonnie Lange.

Ummmm ..... Jonny Lang just turned 30. Not sure about Jonnie Lange.

As for Cray and Clapton, they're both great. Clapton, Beck, Wyman, Page, Mayall and others from Britain and Ireland picked up on the great Delta bluesmen, but so did many other perhaps less known musicians in the US, Butterfield, Bloomfield, Cale, Stevie Miller, et. al. The San Francisco bay area was a hub for all of these people. Many of the surviving Delta bluesman credit Robert Cray for resurrecting the blues in the mid 1980's, and rightly so. I'm sure Clapton doesn't have any issues with those sentiments.

Bill Wyman's Blues Odyssey is an excellent, well referenced historical chronology of blues. Nice big full color glossy paged book.

http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Wymans-Blues-Odyssey-Journey/dp/0789480468/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1298232903&sr=1-4

Your comment about Jeff Beck is spot on. He is a master of many styles.

Edited by Spee

I really sorry I missed Eric Clapton's performance. No matter what some commentators say he is a guitar legend. He has also had quite a lot of bad luck in his life.

I hope to have a chance of seeing the DVD.

briliant he did all the stuff his fans would know , hadnt heard rocking chair before, that is still going round in my head. only problem i found was gwtting back to town thousands of people and a handfull of cabs.....

Yeah thanks for correcting my spelling.

Jonny Lange.

Age 17 when he released his first album.

If you haven't heard it I suggest you steal it off Napster or whatever you do.

Personally I listen to CD's on my 500,000 baht rig. Edited by powderpuff

Saw Jeff Beck in Australia last year 2010 and Stanley Jordan in BKK Two very Fine Geee Tar Players That dont sing unlike Eric Calpton.......

One thing Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton do have in common is there love of hot rod rods ...and being a rodder my self these guys are cool duds ohhh forgot Brian Zetsler from the Stray Cats hes one cool rockabilly GeeeTar Player

But for my Money Pat Metheny is one od the finest guitar Players of all time he is a perfectionist.............