Black Carbon Like Residue On Plant Leaves?

I have some Camelia plants in my front planter which has a uniform black carbon like dust on the top surface of the leaves and on the stems. Nothing on the bottom of the leaves. Top new growth doesn't have it. Can wipe the "carbon dust" off.

I have sprayed insect killer on it. Doesn't affect nearby non-camelia type plants.

Last year did see it on accross drive plant of different variety and insect sprayed it then, not to return.

Could it be a form of plant mould? Anyone have this in their garden? How did you get rid of it? What is it? The entire leave is covered with a thin uniform layer of the black dust and adjoining painted planter cement sides also have some on it.

It almost looks like someone sparayed aerosol flat black paint on the leaves with overspray on the adjoining planter.

I would appreciate any help with this problem. Thank you.

It sounds like a mould or fungal growth to me ProThaiExpat.

Back in Australia when my camelias got this black sooty rust on them, I used a "white oil" spray to rid them of the disease.

I haven't seen this product in Thailand though.

I have some Camelia plants in my front planter which has a uniform black carbon like dust on the top surface of the leaves and on the stems.  Nothing on the bottom of the leaves.  Top new growth doesn't have it.  Can wipe the "carbon dust" off.

I have sprayed insect killer on it.  Doesn't affect nearby non-camelia type plants.

Last year did see it on accross drive plant of different variety and insect sprayed it then, not to return.

Could it be a form of plant mould?  Anyone have this in their garden?  How did you get rid of it?  What is it?  The entire leave is covered with a thin uniform layer of the black dust and adjoining painted planter cement sides also have some on it.

It almost looks like someone sparayed aerosol flat black paint on the leaves with overspray on the adjoining planter.

I would appreciate any help with this problem.  Thank you.

Black sooty deposits can be made by some tropical insects. Try spraying with a diluted washing up liquid or other soap based product for a couple of weeks.