Dirty Air In Bangkok

Searat7

I have had problems with the dirty air in Bangkok (post nasal drip, coughing, poor breathing) since I came here 6 yr ago. Usually when I return from USA after summer holiday I need help after two weeks here....my doctor gives me steroid shot in mouth, vacuums mouth/nose and instructs me to take pseudephedrine. Sometimes I have needed a second treatment. This time I have had 3 treatments and they have not worked. Additionally I am now getting sinus headaches if I spend too much time on the street (will try mask for long walks in future). Has anyone else found a cure for this condition short of leaving Bangkok for a less polluted area ?

Clean religiously.

Add A/C with hepa filter or extra air filter device with hepa filters.

Minimize the time windows and doors are open. Plug any air leaking spots (and there are MANY in Thai built houses/condos/apartments).

Install an air ventilation system that draws air in from the outside, but filters is thoroughly.

Create positive indoor air pressure (air pressure inside is greater than that of the outside). This way air can't infiltrate your home, but instead wants to exit the home.

The air quality in Bangkok was one of the reasons I moved down to the Pattaya area. (The other reason was the noise.)

Whenever possible -- i.e. not overly oppressive heat or humidity -- I prefer to have fresh air to breathe rather than use the air con, and that was a real problem in Bangkok. I lived in three different areas, thinking maybe if I got away from certain traffic patterns, it would help, and it didn't.

What finally motivated me to move was in my last apartment, I had maid service 3x weekly and on the day she didn't mop the floors, the bottom of my feet would be *BLACK* from the stuff on the floor. I decided that filtering that black soot through my lungs was not a good idea so I split.

Where I live now in Jomtien, there are occasional days of pollution, but it almost always blows away at night. For the few days that the haze lingers, I don't mind using the air con so much, knowing it's just for a few days.

I would never live in BKK again for this reason. Walking down Sukhumwit is like smoking a few packs of cigs.

After having lived in Kuala Lumpur, Sarawak, Saigon, Hanoi, Yangon and Vientiane I still find the air quality in my part of Bangkok (Silom) some of the best of any major city in Asia (apart from Vientiane).

Honest, this is not a flame!