On Having Aluminum Windows Built

Trex52

Here in LOS there are no standard window sizes....you even have to be present to make sure the window openings are level, plumb and square...if level and plumb, they would be square. If you are smart, you would want a slope to the outside on the sill part of the opening as well. If you go with custom made aluminum windows....INSIST on them making them with the screen on the OUTSIDE....not the inside! There is absolutely no reason this can not be done and I am pretty sure they do it ass-backwards as a throw back to the wooden windows that open to the outside. As usual, there is no logic to having the screens on the inside....in fact I would call it illogical. Why would you want to open the screen first, so you can close the window???????? Oh, sorry....I didn't mean to mention logic in a construction related issue dealing with Thai workers. Real nice during the mosquito time if you have rain coming in. The aluminum channel they use can be done either way. So don't let them decide for you what should be. If one says can no do....find another that can/will. IT ABSOLUTELY CAN BE DONE. trex

You may have this problem with cheap made, sub standard windows but well made, well built windows come with built in pull down or pull across screens that work very well.

Have a look at the Hafele range. very well made windows and doors and readily available in Thailand.

Not possible to have the screen on the outside with the present extruded sections, unless you want rainwater flowing into the room.

The aluminum channel used on my windows could be done either way and still keep all but horizontal rain out. Nothing short of a port hole will keep out wind driven horizontal water. I just wished I had caught it in time...but nooooooo. So now all I can do is give advice on the matter. It can be done. At least my windows could have been done like that and still be just as water tight as they are now had I sat down with the guy that built them and made sure he understood and did it MY way. Oh well.....trex

You may have this problem with cheap made, sub standard windows but well made, well built windows come with built in pull down or pull across screens that work very well.

Have a look at the Hafele range. very well made windows and doors and readily available in Thailand.

You find anyone in Thailand that can produce a finished window opening of a stated size, to fit a pre-made window unit, then you should be playing the lottery. Now I know why I never saw pre-made windows in any of the home building supply houses I went to. It simply, can not be done. Not the way they build here. By the time the window is finally squared up with extra rendering or whatever, the opening is what it is. Shims are not used here for setting door frames or windows. Unless you do it yourself. Concrete rendering is not as forgiving as wood is. The windows made for our house an not cheap, sub standard windows...just built ass-backwards. trex

If you go with custom made aluminum windows....INSIST on them making them with the screen on the OUTSIDE....not the inside!

screens have to be taken out and cleaned periodically. a hassle if you have a two-storey home.

If you are smart, you would want a slope to the outside on the sill part of the opening as well.

if you are smart you don't have any sill outside but have the windows set flush with the outside wall. even sills with slopes give problems. sills are dirt collectors and when rain hits them, dirt is running down the wall spoiling your paint.

post-35218-0-52407600-1290336545_thumb.j

You find anyone in Thailand that can produce a finished window opening of a stated size, to fit a pre-made window unit, then you should be playing the lottery. Now I know why I never saw pre-made windows in any of the home building supply houses I went to. It simply, can not be done. Not the way they build here. By the time the window is finally squared up with extra rendering or whatever, the opening is what it is. Shims are not used here for setting door frames or windows. Unless you do it yourself. Concrete rendering is not as forgiving as wood is. The windows made for our house an not cheap, sub standard windows...just built ass-backwards. trex

correct! each and every window has to be made according to the opening and that applies to doors too. but then...

This Is Thailand! :sick:

If you are smart, you would want a slope to the outside on the sill part of the opening as well.

if you are smart you don't have any sill outside but have the windows set flush with the outside wall. even sills with slopes give problems. sills are dirt collectors and when rain hits them, dirt is running down the wall spoiling your paint.

Problem with having the window sills flushed with outside surfaces of walls is the resulting lack of depth of the facade as seen from the photo you posted. To avoid the dirt streaks, project the sill 2 inches beyond the wall surface.

post-77843-0-08272700-1290364226_thumb.j

Problem with having the window sills flushed with outside surfaces of walls is the resulting lack of depth of the facade as seen from the photo you posted. To avoid the dirt streaks, project the sill 2 inches beyond the wall surface.

i have more wall depth (25cm Superblock plus 3-4cm plaster) than the average house in Thailand but prefer window sills inside where they serve the purpose of taking decorative items as opposed to outside sills which are dirt collectors even when they are sloped and extended (serving no purpose). my 1.20m roof overhang would prevent 'normal' rain to wash the sill clean, id est dirt would accumulate. heavier rains with wind would wash down the dirt but the wind would force the dirty water against the wall. et voila! dirt on white paint = window sills outside a "no-no".

:jap: