How To Cope In Thailand While Losing Money Abroad

Loz

PF-savings_1766721b.jpg

Given this reality, does it make more sense to move your money (some/all?) over to Asian Markets?

I wonder how many people know their "savings" are diminishing in value? and if I'm wrong and you are all aware, perhaps you'd share some of your tatics for making your money out perform inflation while minimizing risk...

I don't think an ex pat forum should replace one's IFA but on a quiet Sunday I am curious to test the water in terms of both awareness of and creative solutions to the problem of money being worth less.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this I am probably what you would call ultra-conservative.

I dont have a terrible lot to play with and dont want to get into shares, property or other speculation.

I keep what little I have in term deposits with banks and a couple of safe finance companies (govt guaranteed).

I live on the interest and a small pension.

It can be said that my interest will buy less each year but I find I can live easily on less than the income I get from these two.

That means I can increase me deposits every year or two and hopefully this means my principal and interest increase at more than the rate of inflation

Worked for me so far, but who knows in the future.

Also in the position where the NZ $ is moving up against the Baht and that sure helps.

Yes Loz, its definately something to think about.

My thoughts are where can you invest that doesnt have a lot of exposure to share markets?

Im sure a lot of us watched our superannuation crumble after the various market crashes over the past years. Mine still has'nt recovered 100% and funny, even if you redirect the pie of where your super money is supposed to be invested, you still seem to loose out..super is definately a mugs game for mine.

The way the world is heading it only seems a matter of time before the next disaster hits all of our pockets and i have no trust in those who dominate these sorts of situations and actually make a packet while the rest of us loose out big time.

Maybe the best and safest option would be property? From my own experience, my investment property in Oz gives a pretty good stable return and the market value of real estate in general in Oz seems to have no ceiling.

I dont have a terrible lot to play with and dont want to get into shares, property or other speculation.

I keep what little I have in term deposits with banks and a couple of safe finance companies (govt guaranteed).

It can be said that my interest will buy less each year but I find I can live easily on less than the income I get from these two.

That means I can increase me deposits every year or two and hopefully this means my principal and interest increase at more than the rate of inflation

Also in the position where the NZ $ is moving up against the Baht and that sure helps.

Robby nz may i ask you how much intrest you collect on your deposit.

I got intrest rate of 3.75 % for 5 years with a Belgium bank.

Further i do some stock true Tisco (thai company on Sathorn) and currency trade.

Not big money, just enough to have some extra beer money :burp: .

My thoughts are where can you invest that doesnt have a lot of exposure to share markets?

Im sure a lot of us watched our superannuation crumble after the various market crashes over the past years. Mine still has'nt recovered 100% and funny, even if you redirect the pie of where your super money is supposed to be invested, you still seem to loose out..super is definately a mugs game for mine.

The way the world is heading it only seems a matter of time before the next disaster hits all of our pockets and i have no trust in those who dominate these sorts of situations and actually make a packet while the rest of us loose out big time.

Maybe the best and safest option would be property? From my own experience, my investment property in Oz gives a pretty good stable return and the market value of real estate in general in Oz seems to have no ceiling.

Everybody is different. Some are expert investors, others are not. If you are one of the latter, like me, be careful with your investments. Inflation will eat up your money, but so will poor investments. I'm a real estate kinda guy. Over the long run, it does well with inflation.

As long as China is doing well, Oz will do well. If that bubble bursts, as some are predicting, so will Oz, Brazil, etc. Yesterday's winners are tomorrow's losers.

Everybody is different. Some are expert investors, others are not. If you are one of the latter, like me, be careful with your investments. Inflation will eat up your money, but so will poor investments. I'm a real estate kinda guy. Over the long run, it does well with inflation.

As long as China is doing well, Oz will do well. If that bubble bursts, as some are predicting, so will Oz, Brazil, etc. Yesterday's winners are tomorrow's losers.

What happens to Aussie dollars when the Chinese currency goes up?

Further i do some stock true Tisco (thai company on Sathorn) and currency trade.

Sure I have investments with http://www.marac.co.nz/content/investing/rates/default.aspx among others.

I have some long term investments I have had for a few years, made them when interest rates were high.

One is returning 10% (5 yrs) and another 8% both Govt Guaranteed.

Also some others at at 7%.

As a non NZ resident I have what the call Approved Issuer Levy Status which means I only pay a levy of 2% instead of non resident withholding tax which is 10%.

Below is a sentence from a letter I got from NZ IRD.

2% AIL (Approved issuer Levy) can be deducted by some NZ Banks or Finance companies instead of the Non Resident Withholding Tax. It depends what country you live in if this is a good option or not.

This may not be a good option for someone who has to pay tax in another country.

I also have money with this bank http://www.anz.co.nz/ratefee/interest.asp.

The rates are somewhat lower but again Govt guaranteed and with AILS of 2%

http://www.marac.co.nz/content/investing/rates/default.aspx

Link above did not come up right

Edited by Robby nz

What happens to Aussie dollars when the Chinese currency goes up?

Way out of my league on that one. I've got a friend in Shanghai. He wants me to do some RE investments with him there. So, I've been doing a bit of research. What I have read is that some people are starting to become nervous about a bubble in China. If it is true....which is a big if....countries who have benefited from China could...and I say could...be in trouble. The articles mention Oz and Brazil....as they are selling a lot to China and are doing really, really well right now due to this.

Here is one article where they mention Brazil. The other one I saw was on BBC. I'll try to find the reference.

Again! I am no expert....just sharing what I have read.

http://finance.fortune.cnn.com/2010/11/17/chanos-vs-china/

Way out of my league on that one. I've got a friend in Shanghai. He wants me to do some RE investments with him there. So, I've been doing a bit of research. What I have read is that some people are starting to become nervous about a bubble in China. If it is true....which is a big if....countries who have benefited from China could...and I say could...be in trouble. The articles mention Oz and Brazil....as they are selling a lot to China and are doing really, really well right now due to this.

Here is one article where they mention Brazil. The other one I saw was on BBC. I'll try to find the reference.

http://finance.fortu...hanos-vs-china/

China is not working the same way as the USA. If you analyze China's situation with an American point of view, you can't have it right.

What we see now is the collapse of the american model and the rise of the "capitalism with Chinese characteristics" model.

China is not working the same way as the USA. If you analyze China's situation with an American point of view, you can't have it right.

What we see now is the collapse of the american model and the rise of the "capitalism with Chinese characteristics" model.

Apparently you know what the Chinese model is. So what happens to the Aussie dollar if the Chinese currency begins to get more expensive?

While you are at it could you tell me according to capitalism with Chinese Characteristics, why the Aussie dollar pays 5% British pound 5% Euro 10% interest in an Aussie bank (multi currency savings account) and the Swiss Franc also in an Aussie bank pays no interest?

I have monies banked in Thailand, UK and the United States.

I`ve had to invest these long term, 3 to 5 years in order to gain the max interest. I think the investment part and amounts of interest is not a problem, because it`s there with good returns if you shop around.

The trick is how not to lose out when bringing money over to Thailand, especially for those like me who`s incomes come from abroad. I guess this is the main pitful for most of us.

Personally I wouldn`t even consider investing in Thai real estate. You really have to know what you are doing and in most cases unless you purchase expensive desirable property and land in an area right in the centre of town somewhere, you could be stuck with something that never increases in value or nobody wants.

How to beat or get the best from the bank exchange rate system is the question. No matter how good we invest abroad what`s the point if we lose it all via the exchanging of currancies?

Right. China is pure capitalism. I heard the same stuff about the Japanese back in the 80's. Never happened. We'll see...but the thunderclouds are looming on the Chinese horizon. Things can't go up forever, and entire housing developments can't stay vacant forever.

Did you read where something like 30% of their economy is based on internal construction? Way more than Dubai, and look what happened there....

"While you are at it could you tell me according to capitalism with Chinese Characteristics, why the Aussie dollar pays 5% British pound 5% Euro 10% interest in an Aussie bank (multi currency savings account) and the Swiss Franc also in an Aussie bank pays no interest?"

there's no such thing like an Aussie bank paying that kind of interest for GBP and €UR as mentioned by you! <_<

Edited by Naam

^ ^ China is more than 1 billion people, most of them in under developped area. Even if the export market dries up (which is not going to happen) the local market can sustain growth that can't be achieve anywhere in the western world.

All your bench marks are based about what you know in the western world. I say in China it's different, they don't play by the same rules ....

If you think you're right, short China.

Your call ... Your money :)

Edited by JurgenG

Right. China is pure capitalism. I heard the same stuff about the Japanese back in the 80's. Never happened. We'll see...but the thunderclouds are looming on the Chinese horizon. Things can't go up forever, and entire housing developments can't stay vacant forever.

Did you read where something like 30% of their economy is based on internal construction? Way more than Dubai, and look what happened there....

from a study on the Chinese economy (German university):

"The current urban population of 500 million is officially forecast to reach 800 million by 2020. The need to construct more than 10 million new apartment units every year has been stable for the past 20 years."

Dubai banked on foreigners buying real estate, China does not.

"While you are at it could you tell me according to capitalism with Chinese Characteristics, why the Aussie dollar pays 5% British pound 5% Euro 10% interest in an Aussie bank (multi currency savings account) and the Swiss Franc also in an Aussie bank pays no interest?"

there's no such thing like an Aussie bank paying that kind of interest for GBP and €UR as mentioned by you! <_<

You are correct. I pasted the wrong number. Here are some correct ones.

Singapore dollar 0.09%

Australian dollar 1.98% 2.13% 2.33% 2.63%

Swiss franc 0%

Same question why does the Aussie dollar and Sing dollar pay interest and the Swiss not?

Edited by mark45y

"All your bench marks are based about what you know in the western world. I say in China it's different, they don't play by the same rules ...."

BINGO!

Agreed. Here's a comment from a member of the Chinese central bank's monetary policy committee. I'm guessing he knows a bit about the market there, and he is ringing the alarm bell, as are many others globally. My friend in Shanghai agrees. His apartment was purchased for 550k USD 4 years ago and he is getting unsolicited offers for 1.2M now. Housing is becoming out of reach for mainstream Chinese. Entire housing developments are empty. My friend said they are considering a "vacant" housing tax to try and curb speculation. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Something like 30% of the revenues for local municipalities come from the real estate market, speculation. If that were to slow down, it would be trouble.

Because China combines a potential bubble with the risk of social discontent, the problems in China's housing market are more severe than those in the United States before the financial crisis hit, according to an adviser to the Chinese central bank.

“The housing market problem in China is actually much, much more fundamental, much bigger than the housing market problem in the U.S. and U.K." before the financial crisis, says Li Daokui, a professor at Tsinghua University and a member of the Chinese central bank’s monetary policy committee.

“It is more than [just] a bubble problem,” Li says. “When prices go up, many people, especially young people, become very anxious. It is a social problem,” Li told the Financial Times.

Li added that China is “running the risk or is on the verge of overheating,” but the situation isn't yet out of control.

As well as calling for modest increases in deposit rates, which are negative in real terms, Li says a gradual appreciation in the currency would help companies prepare for when the renminbi was considerably stronger.

The moves reflect growing unease over the failure of repeated efforts to fully bring under control a property market that has shot out of reach of most ordinary Chinese and is viewed as a threat both to political stability and to the financial system.

Though China's overall economy has entered what many economists are calling a "soft-landing," with forecasts for roughly 9 percent growth in the last quarter of the year, real estate remains a wild card.

"The housing problem affects people's livelihood and apart from being an economic problem also affects social stability," the government statement said. "Excessively high housing prices make it difficult for families to find homes, increase financial risks and are an obstacle to coordinated economic development."

Authorities have sought repeatedly to cool the market by discouraging housing purchases for investment purposes, particularly speculative buying, that has helped drive prices out of reach for many city dwellers.

The recent gains in the value of China's currency, the yuan, are also believed to be drawing in illicit flows of investment from overseas, adding to upward pressures on prices.

"Together, the yuan's appreciation and booming housing prices are thought to have contributed to the frothiness in the property market, perhaps risking an inflationary spiral or financial crisis," said Hui Qiangjian, a senior researcher at E-house R&D Institute in Shanghai.

Singapore dollar 0.09%

Swiss franc 0%

Same question why does the Aussie dollar and Sing dollar pay interest and the Swiss not?

i am getting 0.375% p.a. on a Swiss Franc deposit, maturity 30 days. other interest rates (same maturities) on cash are presently (my case):

TRY 6.150%

ZAR 7.125%

BRL 8.375% (via non deliverable 1Y forward)

SGD 0.478%

NZD 3.875%

AUD 4.630%

THB 0.450%

NOK 1.150%

€UR 0.250%

USD 0.185%

JP¥ 0.000%

A fine example off eggs and baskets from Naam.

The issue is not just interest but spreading bets on currency fluctations.

There's a lot of people putting significant amounts of their savings in Australia (yes those interst rates do look attractive) - But in reality the $Oz is a single basket - the riks are not only the same as they where for the GBP a few years back, but it is also repeating the same mistake (risking a compounding of the effect).

My view on living in Thailand on savings from overseas (we'll take that as retirement) is that you need at least as much money to retire in comfort and security in Thailand as you would to live in comfort at home - The security at home comes from it being your country with property ownsership rights and welfare.

Those who doubt that figure are presumably ignoring the problem the OP has raised - not to metion other risks and problems.

If not retirement then I think the best way to live in Thailand on money from overseas is to be earning a living wage here (living as in the amount that would secure your future in your home country).

People who I see as being at real risk right now, and in the near future, are people who got sold the QROPS lie that the pension you had at home which was designed to provide a retirement income after you reach 65 years old, could provide you with a retirement income from the age of 55 in Thailand.

There's going to be a lot of people facing long term econmic hardship over that one.

Hey, but the carpet baggers got their fee.

from a study on the Chinese economy (German university):

"The current urban population of 500 million is officially forecast to reach 800 million by 2020. The need to construct more than 10 million new apartment units every year has been stable for the past 20 years."

Dubai banked on foreigners buying real estate, China does not.

Here's an interesting analysis of how the Chinese come up with down payments:

The overwhelming majority of end-user purchases [in real estate] probably came from resettled residents who used their compensation cash for down payments. Resettlement compensation is the biggest transfer of wealth from the government to the household sector since the privatization of low-cost public housing a decade ago. It is probably the most important government action supporting today's economy.” That is, people receive windfall amounts as compensation for homes that are demolished by the government and then apply that compensation to down-payments on further apartments, generating more demand and industry, driving growth. But one can’t understand the full impact of this situation until one considers what that means for the argument that Chinese property purchases are normally financed through “savings”. If “savings” are generated in such a manner, they have a rather odd status. In order to compensate home owners through resettlement, local governments must take out *institutional loans* and use the land as collateral. Thus, in effect, Chinese “savings” for the purchase of new homes undertaken in such a manner are actually reprised forms of debt, not household debt but government debt, which is now heavily involved in the property market [state-reported statistics for the first quarter of 2010 show that the government was responsible for 42% (!) of all property purchases in Beijing]. Xie makes the point frighteningly clear: “[Resettlement compensation] uses a form of leverage to support demand. Local governments borrow to pay compensation packages, using land as collateral. Resettled residents use compensation cash as down payments for mortgages. In this way, *government debt becomes equity for mortgage debt; there is no real equity in the financing chain.*”

Sure I have investments with http://www.marac.co....es/default.aspx among others.

I have some long term investments I have had for a few years, made them when interest rates were high.

One is returning 10% (5 yrs) and another 8% both Govt Guaranteed.

Also some others at at 7%.

As a non NZ resident I have what the call Approved Issuer Levy Status which means I only pay a levy of 2% instead of non resident withholding tax which is 10%.

Below is a sentence from a letter I got from NZ IRD.

2% AIL (Approved issuer Levy) can be deducted by some NZ Banks or Finance companies instead of the Non Resident Withholding Tax. It depends what country you live in if this is a good option or not.

This may not be a good option for someone who has to pay tax in another country.

I also have money with this bank http://www.anz.co.nz...e/interest.asp.

The rates are somewhat lower but again Govt guaranteed and with AILS of 2%

http://www.marac.co....es/default.aspx

Link above did not come up right

Thanks Robby NZ i will look into when back in LOS and have some more time.

NFS

I am moving out of US$ - over the 3 years i have bought Asian assets mostly - my portfolio is now 30% property (Indonesia- some of highest rental returns in world, though risky regarding legal issues/ownership), 30% stocks (Thailand and Indonesia, plus BRICs), 30% cash, 10% Gold. I will be moving more cash into Thai stocks if there is a big market correction (i.e.. fall in stock prices) in the coming months.

Property is good- though Asia prices are very 'bubbly' right now. I was going to buy in Bangkok last year- but have put this on hold for now

I recommend you move back into stocks IF you have several years before you retire- otherwise your bank savings will be eaten up by inflation. If you are retired or about to retire then yes, best to keep your money out of the stocks markets.

Singapore dollar 0.09%

Swiss franc 0%

i am getting 0.375% p.a. on a Swiss Franc deposit, maturity 30 days. other interest rates (same maturities) on cash are presently (my case):

TRY 6.150%

ZAR 7.125%

BRL 8.375% (via non deliverable 1Y forward)

SGD 0.478%

NZD 3.875%

AUD 4.630%

THB 0.450%

NOK 1.150%

€UR 0.250%

USD 0.185%

JP¥ 0.000%

Those are excellent interest numbers. Are they available somewhere close to Thailand? Say Singapore? Because I can't find anyone in Singapore who will give me any interest on THB or CHF. I would assume they are from a trading account. Can one just leave money in a brokerage account and not trade?