How To Cope In Thailand While Losing Money Abroad

Loz

there is no gold bubble, but there is a treasury bubble. how many of you here are purchasing or plan to purchase a five/ten/twenty/thirty year US bond at the current interest rates? of course you aren't. that article was terrible btw.

one of the biggest reasons novices like to disparage gold is that gold prices surged and then fell in the 1970's in the midst of 20% interest rates. that was when we had a trade surplus and did not have the massive deficit that we currently enjoy. that was when the us debt was owned by Americans in long term bonds, not foreign nations in 2 year bonds. Such action to save the usd would be impossible in 2010.

I hear ya, but that was just one of many articles that are starting to talk about a bubble. With such a ruckus, something has to be going on...I just saying to be careful.

Again, sounds like the oil debate and look what happened there. Everybody was talking about how it could only go up....but I am no expert for sure! :jap:

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Naan's advice in an earlier post "any investment which i don't understand within 90 seconds is a 'no-no' for me."

Personally, I find this advice very strange. Knowledge is key to any investment; claiming that you'd have the ability to accrue knowledge - relevant to the situation - simply by pulling it out of thin air with the pores WILL disqualify you from virtually every investment there is.

As I said, knowledge is key to any investment. Anyone sauntering about claiming to have the ability to understand investments in less than 90 seconds is either an amateur or someone who's not at all interested or skilled in making investments other than trying to beat the inflation rate (even that will be tough using Neens advice). Successful investors spend both money and time to gain knowledge required from case to case.

Yes, most of our states and cities are heading for bankruptcy ... Most?? ...where is your Thorazine ... Even DARPA on your ZeroHedge doesn't agree with you.

... if the 'smart money' (as you put it) is really in gold why do you have this over-whelming compulsion to tell everyone the smart money is in gold ... just sit back quietly on the veranda and watch the rest of the non-smart world go down the tubes ...

Edited by jazzbo

things are worse since they made this cute picture graph, but i guess there is always Montana and North Dakota. this graph apparently does not take everything into account such as pension obligations.

http://www.forbes.com/2010/01/20/states-debt-pensions-interactive-map.html

question: how do you cut spending when X % of your GDP is based on spending? won't that result in even smaller tax revenues?

when do the spending cuts start?

Edited by Chunky1

Yes, most of our states and cities are heading for bankruptcy ... Most?? ...where is your Thorazine ... Even DARPA on your ZeroHedge doesn't agree with you.

... if the 'smart money' (as you put it) is really in gold why do you have this over-whelming compulsion to tell everyone the smart money is in gold ... just sit back quietly on the veranda and watch the rest of the non-smart world go down the tubes ...

i only do it on thai visa because A. it will be fun to brag about it later on and B. i might save a future balcony diver.

it will be fun to brag about it later on ... brag to whom? ... If things are as bad as you predict then it would definitely be the time to keep your mouth shut ...

From your Forbes.com link above I found the following Forbes Newsletter offer:

: Make the most out of gold’s phenomenal move higher but don’t get

left holding the bag when it’s time to run. Click here for instant

access to market timing analysis and specific gold, silver and hard

asset model portfolios in Curtis Hesler’s Professional Timing Service.

Doesn't sound like their version of 'smart money' is the same as yours.

Edited by jazzbo

jazzbo,

massive personal, state, national debt.

2 on going wars with talk of 2 more (pakistan/iran)

a (currently via intrade) 45% chance of a republican president in 2012 - good luck existing these wars

in 5 years, usa will be paying 50% of its tax revenue towards interest on its debt

world banks are stocking gold

countries (china and russia) are making deals to settle accounts in their own currency, not dollars

us gov has taken no steps thus far of reducing debt. both parties refuse to compromise.

x % of the gdp is the result of gov spending. cut spending = revenues fall --- the only jobs being added are in healthcare and education - 2 huge government subsidiaries.

there is a possibility that paper gold etfs are selling more gold than they own.

what is your argument against gold and for the us dollar?

• 2 weeks later...

I like Naan's advice in an earlier post "any investment which i don't understand within 90 seconds is a 'no-no' for me."

Personally, I find this advice very strange. Knowledge is key to any investment; claiming that you'd have the ability to accrue knowledge - relevant to the situation - simply by pulling it out of thin air with the pores WILL disqualify you from virtually every investment there is.

As I said, knowledge is key to any investment. Anyone sauntering about claiming to have the ability to understand investments in less than 90 seconds is either an amateur or someone who's not at all interested or skilled in making investments other than trying to beat the inflation rate (even that will be tough using Neens advice). Successful investors spend both money and time to gain knowledge required from case to case.

I think it is normal that an experienced and successful investor who has acquired a vast knowledge of certain asset classes rejects ideas whos details are 'out of range'. Having followed Naams postings and learned about his background for more than two years I conclude that he is not in dire need to bother with anything that is new to him.

I think it is normal that an experienced and successful investor who has acquired a vast knowledge of certain asset classes rejects ideas whos details are 'out of range'. Having followed Naams postings and learned about his background for more than two years I conclude that he is not in dire need to bother with anything that is new to him.

Dr. Naam could stop investing completely, spend all his time drinking fine wine and smoking cigars, and he would be fine for the rest of his life. Very smart guy....

Last year he gave hubby some real good advice. Now he is raving about him. I hope Naam is not gay. Otherwise*****

Why would that matter? Naam is an extremely sharp man, gay or not. I wish I knew 1/10th of what he knows about investments....

It matters because he seems to be an idol for my H U S B A N D. Whenever we discuss new investments or switching I have to listen to *Naam said, Naam posted, Naam warned, Naam suggested, Naam this, Naam that* :guitar: