New Passport From Hong Kong

My UK passport has around 3 pages left so will need a new passport soon. I know I can send an application to hong kong but I need to leave thailand at the start of next month as my visa expires.

I was thinking I could kill two birds with one stone - so to speak, and physically go to Hong Kong, as I was thinking of taking a trip there anyway for a holiday- does anyone know If I can apply for a new passport in person, and how long this would take?

Also will they issue a new passport to me - has only a few pages left - but is still valid until 2015?

Thanks

You could apply for a passport in person whilst you are in Hong Kong, though they don't recommend applying in person. They certainly will not fast track your app because you need to get back to Thailand so you would need to stay in Hong Kong for the time the application takes to turn round and factor that cost into the equation.

You can apply for a new passport at any time though they will only extend the new passport for a maximum of nine months.

When did you do that? I suspect when Consulate were still able to make new passports.

The new system does not allow the Consulate to issue new passports except in an emergency so they go into the queue for the regional office to make regardless of if you appear yourself or mail and that takes weeks.

And expect the same four weeks processing time.

http://ukinhongkong....apply/hong-kong

It could be as long as 6 weeks if the OP's experiences in this recent thread are typical:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/408363-british-passport-renewal/

The good news is that British citizens can be stamped in sans visa for 180 days on arrival in HK (according to HK Immigration website at http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/hkvisas_4.htm), thus giving more than adequate time should the RPPC there feel in a particularly leisurely mood :)

When did you do that? I suspect when Consulate were still able to make new passports.

The new system does not allow the Consulate to issue new passports except in an emergency so they go into the queue for the regional office to make regardless of if you appear yourself or mail and that takes weeks.

The first passport renewal was almost 3 years ago and the second renewal was circa 9 months ago which i believe was long after the the consulate in bkk were no longer allowed to issue new passports,

Actually the first passport renewal 3 years ago was an accepted emergency case as the next week i had to do some extreme traveling and only had one empty visa page, The consulate in hk requested some kind of proof of urgent need ie flight tickets...hotel reservations but in the end an email from the company admin was suffice, Although i do remember the officer i had to deal with was extremely unfriendly :realangry:

I suspect it has something to do with the construction of the UK passport. It is still hard cover right?

No, the old blue hardcover passports were replaced by the current burgundy ones about 22 years ago.

I dont think it has anything to do with the construction of the passport or security regulations but am convinced it has everything to do with financial gain...brits being shafted again,

Last time i visited the consulate in bkk i needed a letter of proof of residence to renew both my thai driving licences, when questioning the grounds for the extortionate fee ( about 2,500bht ...cant remember exactly) the girl behind the desk gave me an email address to mail assuring me i my question would be answered....again no reply, although on seeing the disheveled condition of my passport she gave me a protective plastic cover with metal corners,

I estimate if the thai immigration officers would take any care in where they place the stamps my passport could last about 4 years before being full, Often hk immigration shake their heads in disbelieve then proceed to find space between the thai stamps to try and save place on the visa pages.

Edited by tingtongfarang