Pattaya's Yobs

PattayaOneTeam

Kris & Noi’s Private Posts

Do you have a question about customs or culture, or perhaps just a general comment on life in Thailand?

Email Kris & Noi at: [email protected]

Morons-R-Us

I’ve been happily living in Pattaya for 15 years, but in the past few years I’ve seen a real drop in the standard of visiting expats. Despite the awful exchange rates it seems that plenty of yobs from many countries still manage to get here. Being English I notice my fellow countrymen more, and I think they are amongst the worst. People

from other countries are often arrogant and rude to Thais and other expats, but some Englishmen just want to get severely drunk and then make trouble. I’m not a Lord

Posh myself, but I never act the way these people do. I love it here; the weather, food, and way of life. As a single man who enjoys a social life, this is perfect for me. I wish that the louts would find somewhere else and leave the rest of us, Thais and expat residents, in peace.

Cornish

In any internationally-famous resort, where sex and alcohol are in abundance, there will be an unruly element amongst the visitors, and Pattaya has always had its share of Neanderthals. However, many expat residents would agree with you that the percentage of crude, rude deadbeats has increased in recent years, and visitors from the newer Pattaya markets receive poor reviews from expat blogs for their bad manners and rudeness towards other citizens. But the Brits, with their “in yer face” attitude and taste for binge drinking, still seem favourites to top the Expat Violence and Vomit league table. Nevertheless, you are overstating the issue; most expats can live here as long as you have without ever encountering any trouble from other expats. Although Pattaya would certainly be a more pleasant place if they didn’t visit, you are more likely to be mugged or burgled by a Thai than be bothered by a palefaces cretin.

Nice Schmutter?

Like just about everyone else here, I’ve often been annoyed by Indian tailors trying to shake my hand like an old friend and drag me in to their shop, but—and don’t laugh—I want a couple of suits made and would like to try them. Years ago, a colleague at work came back from Pattaya with some, and he did look smart; wish I had made a note of the tailor. They must be decent, as there are hundreds of them here making a living. Can you recommend any?

Steptoe

There are also hundreds of massage parlours, some good, some which will give you a permanent backache, so the number of shops is no guarantee of performance. To find the recommended shops, take a look at the expat forums and note the comments of people who have actually used them; this will give you a few to check out. Treat the ones who advertise ridiculously low prices and throw in extra shirts and trousers, as too good to be true. Go for good quality material, this is what makes the suit, don’t go for a rush job; and ask him why he speaks like an Aussie.

[One tailor I can wholeheartedly recommend is AMA Fashion, situated on Central Pattaya Road, opposite Tops Supermarket. I have taken a number of friends there over the years and all have been extremely satisfied with the work. Ed.]

Enjoyed this article? Why not go to our poll and vote for it at:

FREE DOWNLOAD HERE

Download the full #4 issue in PDF format here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/files/download/660-pattaya-one-issue-4/

gallery_327_1086_2603.gif

-- Pattaya One 2010-11-22