Banned - Airmail Parcels Over 430 Grams To The Usa

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is no link. The post office has the instructions from Homeland Security, which they are happy to show you if you ask - and can read Thai.

Wimpy,

I want to thank you for your thoughtfulness in posting the correct information on the current rules for mail to the USA.

You are an example of a businessman who does not take no for an answer.

The clerks at our local post office had no idea what you were talking about so yesterday I followed your advice and went upstairs to the managers office.

Sure enough there was a message from the main office in Thai that had the important points highlighted in yellow marker.

The bottom line is that you must mark the box "Known Sender" and add detailed information about weight and value on the customs form the invoice in clear plastic is an optional step and not required.

Now our airmail small packet boxes are going out smoothly with no extra charges.

Once again you have my thanks and if you lived near me I would take you out for a drink.

Edited by TravelerEastWest

Wimpy is correct...and the restriction on airmail packages to the U.S. over a certain size apparently is ongoing until later this year (Feb. 7 on the notice)...

I already posted on this in a separate thread here, and included a photo of a notice re the restriction I found on the counter at the Nana Post Office...

See that notice here... It's the doing of U.S. Homeland Security...

Wimpy is correct...and the restriction on airmail packages to the U.S. over a certain size apparently is ongoing until later this year (Feb. 7 on the notice)...

I already posted on this in a separate thread here, and included a photo of a notice re the restriction I found on the counter at the Nana Post Office...

See that notice here... It's the doing of U.S. Homeland Security...

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4118598

Actually, that notice is very misleading as it is a partial translation.

In Thai the notice goes on to explain that known senders are exempt from the rules.

Also you do not need to be a business and 30 days of regular post office useage = "known sender"

TEW, when I asked the Nana Post Office staff guy about the notice, he seemed to be trying to tell me that I could mail a larger package via EMS anyway...

But his English was only marginal, and I couldn't get him to explain HOW/WHY I'd be able to mail such a package when the notice said I couldn't...

That day, I wasn't trying to mail a larger package... I just had an envelope to go via EMS... But I was taken aback by the notice, and hadn't recalled seeing anything like that before...

FYI, the photo I posted was the entirety of the message they had posted on the counter in English... There was nothing else in the English version that was there on the counter.

TEW, when I asked the Nana Post Office staff guy about the notice, he seemed to be trying to tell me that I could mail a larger package via EMS anyway...

But his English was only marginal, and I couldn't get him to explain HOW/WHY I'd be able to mail such a package when the notice said I couldn't...

That day, I wasn't trying to mail a larger package... I just had an envelope to go via EMS... But I was taken aback by the notice, and hadn't recalled seeing anything like that before...

FYI, the photo I posted was the entirety of the message they had posted on the counter in English... There was nothing else in the English version that was there on the counter.

Yes, I understand - you are not wrong - the notice was completely misleading.

But then again you do not get rocket scientists typically working at post offices...

From a practical point of view many people ramble on about how much harder it is to do business in Thailand and at first glance this post office issue seems to back up the negative folks - but in reality those of us who take a "Wimpy" view of doing business in Thailand simply keep going and just make things happen.

Most of the time everything works out if you have patience, smile and keep going...

Thai PO is quite a competent organisation. I've received pretty good advice in the past.

The thought that anyone can get any better done with a cheeky smile or tea money bribes is crazy.

The rules come from US homeland security, and are to do with prevention of illicit goods and contraband, and possibly bombs.

I'm not a great fan of Uncle Sam at present, but can understand why they might get a little miffed about having their industry and security undermined, but perhaps it's the tea money after all.

Thai PO is quite a competent organisation. I've received pretty good advice in the past.

The thought that anyone can get any better done with a cheeky smile or tea money bribes is crazy.

The rules come from US homeland security, and are to do with prevention of illicit goods and contraband, and possibly bombs.

I'm not a great fan of Uncle Sam at present, but can understand why they might get a little miffed about having their industry and security undermined, but perhaps it's the tea money after all.

My comment above was a general one relating to getting things done in Thailand...not advice on dealing with the Thai Post Office.

Persevere... persevere... ask to talk to the manager instead of the CSR.... and sometimes pay a bit of tea money... :rolleyes:

Yes, absolute nonsense.

As shown to me by the post office, the current rules are that you can send parcels over 500 grams by air or EMS if you are a "known person" at the post office.

I read about this as well, a person in Japan explained it. Some postal services in Japan refuse to ship the 450+ gram packages, while others allow it. There seems to be an effort to identify senders or as you mentioned only "known person" can send.

How inconvenient. Where will it end. People need to inquire and question... We are learning now more than ever the concept of false flag attacks, and things are usually not what they seem...

Thai PO is quite a competent organisation. I've received pretty good advice in the past. The thought that anyone can get any better done with a cheeky smile or tea money bribes is crazy. .....

Actually if you are comparing the Thai post office to the US post office you may be correct.

If you are comparing the Thai post office to a well run business anywhere in the world then I will politely say that they have a great deal of room to improve. Our current discussion is a perfect example the managers know the "known person" rule but do not train their staff - in many post offices throughout Thailand - probably not all...

Now can you get better service through politeness - yes to an extent. Can you get better service through other types of offers a good question... I can say that give I gift baskets of fruit at New Years but no alcohol, and they do go the extra mile to help and explain the rules to me. But this is in the countryside I do not do this in Bangkok. The staff and managers both change often.

Thai PO is quite a competent organisation. I've received pretty good advice in the past. The thought that anyone can get any better done with a cheeky smile or tea money bribes is crazy. .....

Actually if you are comparing the Thai post office to the US post office you may be correct.

If you are comparing the Thai post office to a well run business anywhere in the world then I will politely say that they have a great deal of room to improve. Our current discussion is a perfect example the managers know the "known person" rule but do not train their staff - in many post offices throughout Thailand - probably not all...

Now can you get better service through politeness - yes to an extent. Can you get better service through other types of offers a good question... I can say that give I gift baskets of fruit at New Years but no alcohol, and they do go the extra mile to help and explain the rules to me. But this is in the countryside I do not do this in Bangkok. The staff and managers both change often.

Correct, but I heard that they are now handing out stickers: KNOWN PERSON to be put on well known clients' foreheads to make it easier for the (newly appointed) staff to recognize a fully trusted client, shipping parcels over 450 grams to the US without any dangerous content.

LaoPo

Correct, but I heard that they are now handing out stickers: KNOWN PERSON to be put on well known clients' foreheads to make it easier for the (newly appointed) staff to recognize a fully trusted client, shipping parcels over 450 grams to the US without any dangerous content.

LaoPo

Sounds good to me - smiling....

My comment above was a general one relating to getting things done in Thailand...not advice on dealing with the Thai Post Office.

Persevere... persevere... ask to talk to the manager instead of the CSR.... and sometimes pay a bit of tea money... :rolleyes:

Ok jfc, no offence meant.

Thinking about it, maybe they are not so competent, at least in checking the items at the PO counter or airport.

Time was, if you wanted to send a small parcel you had to present it to the clerk unsealed so the items could be inspected. This is the rule, but now everyone just arrives with the flap stapled down and away we go. Hence, it would seem that there are an infinite number of steroids, drugs, knock offs, and who knows what leaving Thai air space and presenting USA with a real headache.

Not doing their job properly! or possibly detection of drugs is the job of the receiving country maybe.

Thinking about it, maybe they are not so competent, at least in checking the items at the PO counter or airport.

Time was, if you wanted to send a small parcel you had to present it to the clerk unsealed so the items could be inspected. This is the rule, but now everyone just arrives with the flap stapled down and away we go. Hence, it would seem that there are an infinite number of steroids, drugs, knock offs, and who knows what leaving Thai air space and presenting USA with a real headache.

Not doing their job properly! or possibly detection of drugs is the job of the receiving country maybe.

Would be unacceptable that these people check what i send ! This is my own responsability and my business, not theirs, they are just here to serve me and shut up !

People send drugs from Europe also, but does anyone check parcels posted from any European country ?

The reason they may or may not want to look in "small packet" parcels is to ensure they contain no first class mail. Small packet is a special rate for small merchandise and gifts. The current rule is you cannot seal the package with tape, to facilitate inspection.

None taken!!! :)

They always have the drug sniffing dogs, I'd imagine, if they needed them... Though not entirely sure what kinds of things their sniffers are trained to detect... :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

They also told me at post office that the ban is left because we are February 8th, but i guess that they don't know and just assume because it is the date previously written on the document ?

Any more info ?

Thanks.

Managed to send a parcel (2,2kgs) to US yesterday. (Int'l Air Parcel)

1st the PO staff rejected , but after I insisted they make a phone call and the guy at the other end confirmed.

• 2 weeks later...