Are Swedish Tour Operators Covering Up The Threat Of Deadly Jellyfish In Thailand

webfact

A quick summation of the box-jelly....

One of the most venomous creatures on the planet is the box jellyfish. The box jellyfish is especially unique because it actively follows and hunts its prey. Most jellyfish just drift until they happen to capture something. It is still not known how the box jellies see their prey. They have eyes, but no brain, so scientists do not know how the jellyfish understand what they see. They weigh up to four pounds, and can have tentacles up to ten feet long.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

THis comment by "supaprik" 0 sums it up IMO....

"In Australia there are many stings per year yet rarely is there a death purely as people are told about the dangers and if they still want to swim some precautions are taken ( I assume )"

the point being that the Thai authorities are doing NOTHING to inform the public,

All this means that tourist exspecially are at risk - very few Thai people enjoy swiming in the sea and when they do they are usually well covered up

As much as I sympathize with your son's misfortune. I think you either misunderstand the point of this thread or don't realize how deadly certain marine creatures are? It seems to me the point is that the existence of one of natures deadliest creatures is being kept from the tourist public for fear of harming tourism.

You can get stung by a jellyfish in any ocean in the world. In 99% of cases, it would be nothing more than slight pain and discomfort, not life threatening to a healthy individual. The box jellyfish (Spinorex Fleckori) is a different story all together - it is the jellyfish equivalent of the funnel web spider . It is simply the deadliest creature in the sea in times of size versus its ability to kill.

One of the reasons its so dangerous and difficult to treat once stung, is that its sting contains 110 different protein based venoms. Once stung even a strong healthy person is in serious trouble. It attacks the central nervous system, subsequently paralysing the cardio vascular system. As it is a protein based venom the best form of first aid (immediate) treatment is to remove the tentacles, drench the sting site/s with:- in descending order of efficacy - meat tenderizer; white vingar; any vinegar; pee on it as a last resort.

Regardless of where you swim, but particularly in the tropics carry a small bottle of one of the above with your swim gear. Another preventative aid, is a body stocking, it protects against stings & against the sun. Surfers in Australia actually wear womens tights, 2 pair, one for the legs & the other for the arms and torso. (with a suitably positioned hole in them). Not the most fashionable but effective.

Do not underestimate the seriousness of the box jelly. It is a killer. It can kill you as quickly as a snake, almost as quickly as a crocodile, but not as noisily. Would you swim with crocs? I wouldn't. I've lived in Thailand for 10 years and had no idea there were box jellies here. (there's food for thought) I'll be thinking twice before swimming unprotected again.

My son was stung by a jellyfish off Koh Samet last month, it was very painful for him and left welts on his arm and body that took days to go away, so these things are definitely here as are they in many warm water coastal areas, but I think to say they're a deadly threat is over the top, he was just unlucky as we didn't hear of any other people getting stung in the few days we were there.

I have been swimming here for 20 years, must have missed something... I bet it's much more dangerous to cross the street

THis subject has been broached several times ob=ver the last few years and the lack of action - even cover up - has been suggested.

comments like the above are extremely unhelpful and show a lack of appreciation for the people killed and the risk involved.

A box jelly sting - attack is not really the right word - is very often fatal.

THey are not at all easily visible by swimmers and without simple emergency treatment and basic warning and advice there will be more needless deaths.there are some simple precautions that can mean the difference between life and death.A few years ago, I even asked the company I was working with if they were interested in sponsoring a campaign to educate people about these animals and provide first aid in the form of vinegar on beaches around Thailand - it fell on deaf ears.

Anyone who has lived in Queensland will know that the threat of "stingers" is real and serious.Whether there is a change in population or habitat as not yet been made clear.there was a conference on it in Phuket a while back but as expected virtually no concrete action has resulted.

BTW - I think that the pictures are not all of the box jelly one appears to be a portuguese man-of-war - unpleasant but nowhere near as deadly as the box-jelly or stinger.

Deeral is right on the ball with his comments.

A couple of years ago when I was in Khao Lak, a Scandinavian guy came out of the water, covered in a jellyfish rash. I poured on vinegar, even though the staff at the beach side resto said it shouldn't be used.

Later I was told by a jellyfish expert in Townsville that it was mosty probably a 'sheet jellyfish' that caused the sting. Vinegar was the correct first aid.

If there are box jellyfish around, then that is bad news. Northern Queensland beaches are full of warning, bottles of vinegar every 200 metres and parts of the beach netted off to keep out the stingers.

Box jellyfish have long tentacles, and where they hit you, a large rash is left like a burn. It is a painful way to die I'm told.

The term Irukunji' is aboriginal, and means something like 'painful death'.

Many people stung by box-jellies still suffer after effects - pain and scars - YEARS later.

The only way to get some of these Jellyfish off and some relief with vinegar. The resorts I used to stay at when you asked for vinegar they didn't know what it was when you spoke English but in Thai they knew. Just would like to say there should be a little safety training when people pay some big bucks sometimes to go on a holiday.

You won't get RELIEF with vinegar - it is not an antidote it prevents further injections.

THe pain is said to be excruciating.

THese are not just ANY jellyfish - yes there are plenty of jellyfish in the Andaman and the Gulf, but even the ones that sting are nowhere near as dangerous as the Box jelly - it is one of the most toxic venoms to humans that exists.

If the numbers are increasing or for what ever reasons "attacks" are increasing, tourists need to know about it.

BTW - if you are concerned, you can swim in "rash suits" (a la Thorpedo) or even wearing panty-hose over your torso and legs can offer protection!

Ice also helps and there are creams now on the market, but make no mistake the pain is excruciating and does not go away in 1 day. As i said in my previous post, when i was bitten on glans, i was crying like a little girl because the pain goes through your entire body, getting every single muscle, feels like body been pulled apart

THis is NONSENSE - if you are bitten by a box jelly you will probably die if someone administers ice to you as it will only increase the injection of venom....these are NOT the usual jellyfish!!!!after you are in te hands of a doctor then let them choose what to do.....and there's no guarantee in Thailand they will know as the govt etc have issued no guidelines. If you want to know what to do look up an Australian site.

I'd also like to know where in Thailand you can by "creams" for a box jelly sting - they don't "bite"

"after you are in te hands of a doctor then let them choose what to do.....and there's no guarantee in Thailand they will know as the govt etc have issued no guidelines" - gvernment telling doctors what they have to do, sounds re-assuring, really! I always thought doctors were supposed to know more about medical treatment than governments.

all i can say is jelly fish is very deadly and very true that it can easily kill , be it a fish or human being .

just like some spider or insect that can kill .

that why i alway prefer to swim in a pool -

is wlay good to know some basic knowledge and danger you may face , just like crossing a road we must learn to protect ourselves .

Stupidity rules. the Swedish evening newspaper is a funny one and that when the Swedes are covering up the threat of deadly cars in their streets. Ever wondered what will happen when you are hit by one of them...... It is a big big threat.I assume that there are riskier things in life than being killed by jellyfish. The chance of being killed in a Bangkok street by the army is really much bigger. Ans yes Jellyfish kill sometimes, just like elephants.

How dare you say that VOLVO's are deadly

"after you are in te hands of a doctor then let them choose what to do.....and there's no guarantee in Thailand they will know as the govt etc have issued no guidelines"

- gvernment telling doctors what they have to do, sounds re-assuring, really! I always thought doctors were supposed to know more about medical treatment than governments.

Your blind faith in Doctors is unfortunate.

Don't over estimate Doctors - they can't pull rabbits out of hats - they are not omniscient either - they have to be informed of dangers etc to be aware of the possibilities. In this case box jellies. As the "authorities" have chosen NOT to publicise the existence of and potential dangers of the Box jelly, then it is also very likely that local doctors may not be prepared or even aware that they may be called upon to treat a patient suffering fro this sort of venom.

Doctors are not infallible either and are only human. Government policies will in many cases decide largely on what and how they treat.

Edited by Deeral

FYI the Thai word for vinegar is น้ำส้มสายชู or Naam Som Sai Shu

Ronny was just three feet behind his wife Carina, 45, when the deadly jellyfish attacked.

I never knew jelly fish attacked. :o

Maybe there is potential for a movie.. "revenge of the killer jelly fish"

It's quite clear that some people don't understand how dangerous these [articular jellyfish are - or are tey usually inot making trite comments on someone's death.

THe box jelly can actually propel itself through the water and it is believed will "hunt" it's prey. However with people it is most likely that they simply become "entangled" with it.

If you ARE stung/attacked by one of these - the most effective action is NOT to remove the tentacles - they havee millions of stinging "hypodermic-like" poison cells which continue to injec venom into the victim - handling them aggravates this..

Applying simple vinegar to the tentacles first,paralyses them, they can the be removed causing less harm.

It is the venom that kills the victim - not as some would suggest an allergic reation

A friend of mine got stung by a jellyfish (obviously not a box), in Hua Hin, many years back. He still has the scars.

It was on the main beach, in front of Sofitel, there was a tent with first aid p4eople there.

As to when the knowledge about deadly jellyfish goes back, there is a French thriller based on someone diying from stings from jellyfish, based in Hua Hin, that is, at least 20 years old.

Makes one wonder, as studies in Southafrica claim to have come to the conclusion that a shark attack is imminent after "peeing" whilst in the water, if the box jelly, as they "hunt" in packs, might be attracted by the same.... as there are plenty of people swimming and engaged in other water sports activities, but very, very few incidents of box stings are surfacing...

just my 2 cents

Jellyfish are always around. I have been stung three times so far....Hongkong, Thailand and Malaysia. Evidently, not by the Box. It is incredibly painful - and yes, vinegar or urine does alleviate the pain. The scars hang around for at least 2 months, too.

I notice at this time of year in Hua Hin, there are plenty of signs around advising against swimming given the jellyfish threat. That keeps me out of the water. But a big clue to the presence of jellyfish? You'll see their bodies washed ashore. So that's a good sign they're out and about and close to shore.

I was walking Lipa Noi beach the other day, only about 1.5K and I counted at least 20 large beached jellyfish and numerous small ones, even a puffer fish

post-115165-0-48139700-1290409448_thumb.

I was stung by a jelly fish in Hua Hin several years ago. I couldn't see the culprit in the murky water but I don't suppose it was a box jelly as I am still around to tell the tale. However, it was a lot nastier than other jelly fish stings I have had around the world which were more like a horse fly bite - extremely irritating for 24 hours only. On that occasion in Hua Hin I felt what seemed like a sudden bolt of high voltage electricity in my upper thigh that make my leg buckle under me. At first I couldn't figure out what had hit me but then realised I must have been stung by a jelly fish with very powerful venom.

The sting quickly developed into a painful red patch about 4 inches across and I went to a local clinic that evening. The doctor gave me some steroid cream which he claimed would make the swelling and pain go away within 24 hours. It did no such thing and the sting turned into a suppurating mass within a week. I went to BNH hospital in Bangkok where the doctor surprised me by claiming that jelly fish venom had brought out latent herpes zoster (shingles) virus in me and prescribed the very expensive anti-viral Zovirax cream. I am sure this was just a bullsh*t excuse to sell some expensive medication based on wild medical speculation, since the Zovirax did nothing over a three week period of applying the pricey little tubes. I didn't want to see any more useless charlatans and suffered the suppurating mass on my leg in silence after that, just applying much cheaper anti bacterial cream which also seemed to have no effect. After three months of enduring discomfort and pus seeping through my trouser leg at embarrassing moments, the infection suddenly crusted over permanently and disappeared within a week leaving a bumpy scar that has not gone away.

Since then I have heard stories of other swimmers getting similar jelly fish stings in Hua Hin, Cha Am and Pranburi, including a girl who was stung on the face, and I haven't swum in the sea on that coast since that day. I would strongly advise avoiding the sea in that region and possibly in other regions too. Maybe some think the odds are strongly in their favour or enjoy playing Russian roulette but how would you feel if one of your kids went through such a painful experience and ended up scarred for life or even dead?

Edited by Arkady

My wife and I were both stung by jellyfish in Huahin 2 years ago. We were in the water together when we suddenly found ourselves surrounded by the things. They certainly did not "attack" but the current flow drove them right into us. The sting effected her quite a bit more than me. Mine only hurt for 15 mins or so, but her's hurt for a lot longer. There are many different kinds of stinging jelly fish, some much more toxic than others and not all people react to the toxins in the same way. A wasp or bee sting can kill some people but most just hurt for a short time. It just depends on your level of tolerance for that particular toxin. Judging by the numbers of jelly fish floating around the beaches of the Gulf of Thailand at some times of the year, there must be hundreds or even thousands of contacts, most of which would never be reported. If tour operations are going to start a panic over jellyfish, they better add Motorbikes, Mini Buses tour buses, Tuk Tuks, high balconies, ungrounded electrical devices, and a wide range of other well known LOS hazards...:rolleyes:

The infamous box jellyfish has frighteningly powerful venom which can instantly stun or kill prey.

Their venom is considered to be among the most deadly in the world, containing toxins that attack the heart, nervous system, and skin cells. It is so overpoweringly painful that human victims have been known to go into shock and drown or die of heart failure before even reaching shore.

They are pale blue and transparent in color and get their name from the cube-like shape of their bell. Up to 15 tentacles grow from each corner of the bell and can reach 10 feet (3 meters) in length and can weigh 2 Kg. So lying next to a 6ft man they would be almost the same size.

Each of their tentacles has about 5,000 stinging cells, which are triggered not by touch but by the presence of a chemical on the outer layer of its prey.

Box jellies are highly advanced among jellyfish. They have developed the ability to move rather than just drift, jetting at up to four knots through the water. They also have eyes grouped in clusters of six on the four sides of their bell. Each cluster includes a pair of eyes with a sophisticated lens, retina, iris and cornea.

And YES they hunt in packs and attack! Vinegar (Acetic Acid) will help by disabling the box jelly's nematocysts that have not yet discharged. Urine will not! Neither will Ammonia, Sodium Bicarb, Lemon Juice, Vodka (Alcohol), Papaya or other commonly held old wives tales! The best thing one could do to help a victim is cardiopulmonary resuscitation which takes priority over all other treatment options...

Did some of you you miss something? Yes! The fact that over the 10 or 20 years that you have been swimming apathetically to the dangers around you, they have been increasing in numbers by/and diversifying their areas of habitat.

JellyFish or Shark and Elephant even, death comes in many disguises......

But some of you more senior guys out there seem to be less sensitive to the poor guy who lost his wife in the deathly jelly-fish attack in malaysia, its not a laughing matter, the lady was killed and the poor guy held her in his arms watching her died....did not seem like any bit funny to me.

yes Australia

Box Jellyfish-

One of the more deadly animals on the face of the Earth, also called "Sea Wasp". The toxin present on the tentacles is so strong, that survivors describe it more as an electrical shock than a burn. Cardio-Respiratory functions may stop in just 3 minutes, and mouth to mouth resuscitation and first aid procedures are essential to keep the victim alive. The box jellyfish is responsible for more deaths in Australia than snakes, sharks, and salt water crocodiles put together.

1,000,000 World deaths per year from mosquitoes! ,120,000,000 infected with malaria, same/same motor accidents 1,000,000 deaths , and 50,000,000 injured

The mosquito is the deadliest animal.

Motorcycles kill the most tourists and 'suicides' is higher rate for expats than the averages of home countries,

balconies and roof tops are way more dangerous than jellyfish

Edited by yellow1red1

Having read this article and also the two web-sites referred to, the thought of coming across a box jellyfish off the beaches of Pattaya and Jomtien has rather scared me sh*tless. I feel confident in saying that I will not be paddling in local waters again.

I spent most of my life in Hawaii before coming to Thailand a few years ago. First of all, there are life-guards at most of the heavily populated beaches in Hawaii to protect the health and safety of swimmers.

Secondly, the State will issue warnings when it is known that the ocean has large amounts of jelly fish in waters near shore. The most common jellyfish in Hawaii is the Portuguese man of war.

I have been stung several times by the man of war. It was very painful but left no lasting affects. However, some people are very allergic to jellyfish - and it is usually the same people who are allergic to bee stings. In the case of such allergies, the sting can be fatal.

There is absolutely no good reason to cover-up naturally occurring phenomena in the ocean -- especially when people's lives are at risk.

All countries should be responsible in advising their own citizens, as well as visitors, when there are dangerous conditions in the ocean environment.

Quite dreadful to imagine your Loved One passing whilst in your arms and so quickly - RIP.

Vinegar....thanks for the info.

Brewsta

:(

I have been swimming here for 20 years, must have missed something... I bet it's much more dangerous to cross the street

Box jellyfish are a seasonal problem in tropical Australian waters. Generally the "wet" season is when they are dangerous. Northern Australia & Thailand are not dissimilar conditions wise. Generally it is best to not swim when they are about. Keep a bottle of white vinegar handy for treatment if a bite occurs. Still seek treatment; the vinegar usually slows things down. I am no expert on Thai jellyfish thougfh.

This is terribly sad news no matter if you think box jellyfish are a problem in Thailand or not. I have commented a fair bit over the past few years on this subject having been caught up first hand in a life-threatening box jellyfish sting in Thailand. There appear to be plenty of experts offering advice on the topic which is fair enough though potentially dangerous. Someone said that rubbing sand on the stings is a good idea - well, rubbing sand on the sting of a 11 year old Swedish girl on Koh Lanta a few years ago is probably what killed her. There are several species of box jellyfish. The big one is the Chironex species (in Australia it is Chironex fleckeri, in Thailand it is slightly different, as it is in the Philippines etc) and someone here also said if it wraps its tentacles around you then you will drown - for god's sake it's not an octopus or giant squid; Chironex is THE most venomous animal on the planet. A snake or spider will kill you in a matter of hours, this jellyfish will do it in minutes or seconds and it does not have more than 5000 stinging cells per tentacle, it has around 1000000 per 1cm of tentacle. And if you are stung you need to pour vinegar on the tentacles BEFORE you pull them off (or more cells are injected) and you must do this for at least 30 seconds ( = big bottle!).

Here are some facts that are on a blog on the topic http://thaiboxjellyfish.blogspot.com/2010/06/weird-wonderful-and-wobbly-box.html

There are probably more Scandinavian visitors to Thailand getting injured or killed in traffic accidents, drownings, food poisonings, etc etc than box jellyfish so they probably feel they have no obligation to pass information on to their customers. But as is evident here on this forum and all over is that there is huge ignorance regarding box jellyfish. People know about traffic, most about swimming, tasting/sensing rancid food etc but not these jellyfish that are a real threat, they are in the water, they do not get washed up like other jellyfish because they have vision and can swim to avoid floating to shore, just like they can avoid human legs and most often do. Knowing about them, being aware, understanding the risk, taking proper precautions where required - what is wrong with this? This approach works in Australia and tourism is still booming. The government in Thailand is limited by resources as they put their money into bigger issues with big kill counts. They do make an effort, though a bigger one is required. Doctors will do as they are instructed and they need to be educated. Resort owners need to take responsibility also in increasing awareness.

In Langkawi Malaysia in July this year around 200 tourists were hospitalised with irukandji stings (a type of box jellyfish also in Thailand). This is a problem that will not go away and may well increase, statistics are suggesting this, Swedish tour operators and all those mentioned here need to be honest and upfront - there are deadly box jellyfish in Thailand, they are not a big problem in fact lethal stings are relatively rare, but it happens and people die and get badly injured every year, "this is what you need to know......" They will still come.

" I understood immediately that it was a jellyfish attack " he says.

Haha i thought jellyfish were pretty much at the mercy of the current and people just swam into them, according to this they're predatory creatures.

P.S. i got stung 28 years ago in Penang, Malaysia and it bloody hurt, followed by a night night of urinating every 5mins and hallucinating, an experience i shalln't forget in a hurry.

"The box jellyfish has been called "the world's most venomous creature,"

The box jellyfish actively hunts its prey (zooplankton and small fish), rather than drifting as do true jellyfish. It is capable of achieving speeds of up to 4 knots (1.8 m/s)

Whereas some other jellyfish do have simple pigment-cup ocelli, box jellyfish are unique in the possession of true eyes, complete with retinas, corneas and lenses.

Box jellyfish are known as the "suckerpunch" of the sea not only because their sting is rarely detected until the venom is injected, but also because they are almost transparent.

Once a tentacle of the box jellyfish adheres to skin, it pumps nematocysts with venom into the skin, causing the sting and agonizing pain. Successful use of Chironex antivenom by members of the Queensland Ambulance Transport Brigade showed that Acetic acid, found in vinegar, disables the box jelly's nematocysts that have not yet discharged into the bloodstream (though it will not alleviate the pain). Common practice is to apply generous amounts of vinegar prior to and after the stinging tentacle is removed. Removal of additional tentacles is usually done with a towel or gloved hand, to prevent secondary stinging. Tentacles will still sting if separated from the bell, or if the creature is dead. Removal of tentacles without prior application of vinegar may cause unfired nematocysts to come into contact with the skin and fire, resulting in a greater degree of envenomation.

Effective treatment is available but not in America or Canada.

http://www.drugs.com/mmx/sea-wasp-antivenom.html

" I understood immediately that it was a jellyfish attack " he says.

Haha i thought jellyfish were pretty much at the mercy of the current and people just swam into them, according to this they're predatory creatures.

P.S. i got stung 28 years ago in Penang, Malaysia and it bloody hurt, followed by a night night of urinating every 5mins and hallucinating, an experience i shalln't forget in a hurry.

was that due to the jellyfish sting or a nite out on the lash? whistling.gif

I was stung in Hua Hin last February, was painful but the pain went away after an hour or two. But it was nothing compared to the pain of the sting that I got while swimming off of Penang Malaysia in December of 2006.

I took this photo about a week and a half after I was stung if I remember correctly:

318418352_320de252fc.jpg