Are Swedish Tour Operators Covering Up The Threat Of Deadly Jellyfish In Thailand

webfact

CHA-AM: Another Scandinavian fatality in Thailand following a box jellyfish sting

Are Swedish tour operators covering up the threat of deadly jellyfish in Thailand

med_gallery_327_1086_13438.jpg

Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet has reported on another Scandinavian fatality in Thailand following a box jellyfish sting.

Ann Nordh, 59, from Jonkoping, was in Thailand on holiday with her husband. She died last Sunday in the Thai resort of Cha-am, after contact with a suspected deadly box jellyfish.

This follows the case of another Swedish tourist, Moa Bergman, aged 11, who was killed by a jellyfish off the tourist island of Koh Lanta in Thailand in 2008, and another case in Malaysia, earlier this year, when a Swedish tourist, Carina Lofgren died a quick but painful death after a box jellyfish attack.

In Carina's case, there was strong suspicion of a cover-up by the Malaysian authorities.

The doctor wrote "drowning" in my wife's autopsy report, says widower Ronnie Löfgren.

Ronny was just three feet behind his wife Carina, 45, when the deadly jellyfish attacked.

“Suddenly she started screaming and scratched her legs frantically. I understood immediately that it was a jellyfish attack " he says.

A few minutes later Carina Löfgren died in her husband's arms. He could still see the tentacles around his wife’s legs.

The accident occurred in February on the island of Langkawi in Malaysia.

“The doctor concluded that drowning was the sole cause of Carina's death. But that's bullshit. I saw the jellyfish and the damage it caused”.

“The only conclusion I can draw from this is that Malaysians want to hide the truth about the dangers of the deadly jellyfish. They are terrified of the fact that jellyfish can scare away tourists, "he says.

There are similar fears of a cover up in Thailand from Scandinavian tour operators fearful of losing custom if the prevalence of box jellyfish becomes widely known.

Aftonbladet reported that Swedish tour operators are still playing down the threat, and only warning holidaymakers locally about the risks, when they arrive at their hotels.

Thai authorities are aware, and according to the marine biology centre in Phuket, box jellyfish have become more common in recent years in the waters off Malaysia and Thailand. The centre issued an official warning last winter when an unusual number of the deadly jellyfish were found off the coast.

tvn.png

-- 2010-11-22

Source: aftonbladet.se

SHOCKING FACT VIDEO: What is Box Jellyfish?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws5hImeonEA

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been swimming here for 20 years, must have missed something... I bet it's much more dangerous to cross the street

Box jellyfish are a seasonal problem in tropical Australian waters. Generally the "wet" season is when they are dangerous. Northern Australia & Thailand are not dissimilar conditions wise. Generally it is best to not swim when they are about. Keep a bottle of white vinegar handy for treatment if a bite occurs. Still seek treatment; the vinegar usually slows things down. I am no expert on Thai jellyfish thougfh.

Stupidity rules. the Swedish evening newspaper is a funny one and that when the Swedes are covering up the threat of deadly cars in their streets. Ever wondered what will happen when you are hit by one of them...... It is a big big threat.I assume that there are riskier things in life than being killed by jellyfish. The chance of being killed in a Bangkok street by the army is really much bigger. Ans yes Jellyfish kill sometimes, just like elephants.

My son was stung by a jellyfish off Koh Samet last month, it was very painful for him and left welts on his arm and body that took days to go away, so these things are definitely here as are they in many warm water coastal areas, but I think to say they're a deadly threat is over the top, he was just unlucky as we didn't hear of any other people getting stung in the few days we were there.

Edited by bangkoksimon

The only way to get some of these Jellyfish off and some relief with vinegar. The resorts I used to stay at when you asked for vinegar they didn't know what it was when you spoke English but in Thai they knew. Just would like to say there should be a little safety training when people pay some big bucks sometimes to go on a holiday.

I have been swimming here for 20 years, must have missed something... I bet it's much more dangerous to cross the street

THis subject has been broached several times ob=ver the last few years and the lack of action - even cover up - has been suggested.

comments like the above are extremely unhelpful and show a lack of appreciation for the people killed and the risk involved.

A box jelly sting - attack is not really the right word - is very often fatal.

THey are not at all easily visible by swimmers and without simple emergency treatment and basic warning and advice there will be more needless deaths.there are some simple precautions that can mean the difference between life and death.A few years ago, I even asked the company I was working with if they were interested in sponsoring a campaign to educate people about these animals and provide first aid in the form of vinegar on beaches around Thailand - it fell on deaf ears.

Anyone who has lived in Queensland will know that the threat of "stingers" is real and serious.Whether there is a change in population or habitat as not yet been made clear.there was a conference on it in Phuket a while back but as expected virtually no concrete action has resulted.

BTW - I think that the pictures are not all of the box jelly one appears to be a portuguese man-of-war - unpleasant but nowhere near as deadly as the box-jelly or stinger.

Edited by Deeral

Jellyfish are always around. I have been stung three times so far....Hongkong, Thailand and Malaysia. Evidently, not by the Box. It is incredibly painful - and yes, vinegar or urine does alleviate the pain. The scars hang around for at least 2 months, too.

I notice at this time of year in Hua Hin, there are plenty of signs around advising against swimming given the jellyfish threat. That keeps me out of the water. But a big clue to the presence of jellyfish? You'll see their bodies washed ashore. So that's a good sign they're out and about and close to shore.

Box Jellyfish is not a matter to take lightly. I have been stung by the Hawaiian variety and although not as lethal the effects last for weeks. Wondering if here in Southeast Asia the box jellyfish follows the moon cycle as in Hawaii? Generally 12 days after the full moon box jellies will invade the southern shores of The Hawaiian Islands like clockwork and for two days warnings are posted. I just stay out of the water for those two days and haven't had anymore encounters since. If these Asia cousins follow a similar pattern maybe a warning system might be the answer????

I have been swimming Thai waters for more than 10 years almost without incident, last year ( october ) i was stung in Krabi but a jelly fish, very minor on the right hand but believe me i cannot desribe the pain, anyway I have always known of the jelly threat here and I always carry a small flask of vinegar just incase, after that was applied the pain quicly went leaving 4 red welt marks on my hand. i doubt it was actually a "box" or perhaps i was just lucky. Regardless off what people or authourities think, JELLY fish are in ALL temeperate waters at sometimes per year, letting people know and having correct first aid available should be a minimum.In Australia there are many stings per year yet rarely is there a death purely as people are told about the dangers and if they still want to swim some precautions are taken ( I assume )

Take care out there as I KNOW they are out there and they love WHITE meat!!!!:rolleyes:

Where is the evidence this is being covered-up in Thailand?

The cover-up mentioned in this article occurred in Malaysia -- and anyway, now it is reported here... so much for a cover-up.

Sadly, these jellyfish attacks occur in many parts of the world, but one incident per year out of all the millions of tourists who come to Thailand every year is an extremely small number.

There are far more dangerous activities like riding a motorbike or simply crossing the street.

seems like the safest place to be is in the water.

Ronny was just three feet behind his wife Carina, 45, when the deadly jellyfish attacked.

I never knew jelly fish attacked. :o

Maybe there is potential for a movie.. "revenge of the killer jelly fish"

It's quite clear that some people don't understand how dangerous these [articular jellyfish are - or are tey usually inot making trite comments on someone's death.

THe box jelly can actually propel itself through the water and it is believed will "hunt" it's prey. However with people it is most likely that they simply become "entangled" with it.

If you ARE stung/attacked by one of these - the most effective action is NOT to remove the tentacles - they havee millions of stinging "hypodermic-like" poison cells which continue to injec venom into the victim - handling them aggravates this..

Applying simple vinegar to the tentacles first,paralyses them, they can the be removed causing less harm.

It is the venom that kills the victim - not as some would suggest an allergic reation

I don't think that cover up is going on. I think Thai authority fully aware of this 3 case for 3 year period. Phuket Gazette run 2 page article about it. I think it was conferece here in Phuket involving scientist,government,tour operators an

and all information was easily accesable.

Thousands tourist swimming in Pang Na Bay and Phuket daily. If it was a real problem, it would of many more cases.

I never knew jelly fish attacked. :o

Maybe there is potential for a movie.. "revenge of the killer jelly fish"

Marine biologists in Australia have concluded that box jellyfish hunt in packs, so attack may well be an appropriate word.

I see its the old 'head in the sand' response from the usual suspects. Just because one has not killed you does not mean that they don't kill, just as I have not been hit by a high speed train, but I am sure it would kill me.

Jellyfish are here and jellyfish have killed here, I was stung in Koh Chang this year and it was just a minor irritation, but if that jellyfish was a deadly one then it would be a different matter.

The only way to get some of these Jellyfish off and some relief with vinegar. The resorts I used to stay at when you asked for vinegar they didn't know what it was when you spoke English but in Thai they knew. Just would like to say there should be a little safety training when people pay some big bucks sometimes to go on a holiday.

You won't get RELIEF with vinegar - it is not an antidote it prevents further injections.

THe pain is said to be excruciating.

THese are not just ANY jellyfish - yes there are plenty of jellyfish in the Andaman and the Gulf, but even the ones that sting are nowhere near as dangerous as the Box jelly - it is one of the most toxic venoms to humans that exists.

If the numbers are increasing or for what ever reasons "attacks" are increasing, tourists need to know about it.

BTW - if you are concerned, you can swim in "rash suits" (a la Thorpedo) or even wearing panty-hose over your torso and legs can offer protection!

Edited by Deeral

I do not know if there are different types of jelly fish, but i been stung a few times and it does hurt like hel_l but certainly did not kill me.

I even been stung on my glans-underarm and groin(this one is a killermad.gif)

Possibly she was in a shock from pain, either way condolences to the husband, nothing worse then watching your loved one die.

Indeed, this article is absolutely ridiculous. The video shows a "nearly invisible" one centimeter wide deadly Jellyfish that does not kill instantly, yet it is claimed that the poor person who died in Langkawi was attacked by a creature big enough to wrap its tentacles around the victim causing a quick death, which in my mind does suggest drowning. Highly irresponsible to accuse both the Malaysian authorities and the Swedish Tour Operators of a cover up with absolutely no evidence whatsoever. This really is sensationalism at its very worst.

I don't think that cover up is going on. I think Thai authority fully aware of this 3 case for 3 year period. Phuket Gazette run 2 page article about it. I think it was conferece here in Phuket involving scientist,government,tour operators an

and all information was easily accesable.

Thousands tourist swimming in Pang Na Bay and Phuket daily. If it was a real problem, it would of many more cases.

THHe first reported deaths attributed to jellyfish go back over ten years, but they have been on the increase - there are measures the authorities could have taken but they have chosen to ignore it - if that isn;t a coverup then it is dam close to one.the fact is that to find out anything about these creatures in Thailand is VERY difficult - the Authorities are doing te usual Thai thing - ignorte it and hope it goes away. We now seem to be getting one or two deaths a year and maybe a few more that are "misdiagnosed" etc........

You won't get RELIEF with vinegar - it is not an antidote it prevents further injections.

THese are not just ANY jellyfish - yes there are plenty of jellyfish in the Andaman and the Gulf, but even the ones that sting are nowhere near as dangerous as the Box jelly - it is one of the most toxic venoms to humans that exists.

If the numbers are increasing or for what ever reasons "attacks" are increasing, tourists need to know about it.

BTW - if you are concerned, you can swim in "rash suits" (a la Thorpedo) or even wearing panty-hose over your torso and legs can offer protection!

Ice also helps and there are creams now on the market, but make no mistake the pain is excruciating and does not go away in 1 day. As i said in my previous post, when i was bitten on glans, i was crying like a little girl because the pain goes through your entire body, getting every single muscle, feels like body been pulled apart

Ice also helps and there are creams now on the market, but make no mistake the pain is excruciating and does not go away in 1 day. As i said in my previous post, when i was bitten on glans, i was crying like a little girl because the pain goes through your entire body, getting every single muscle, feels like body been pulled apart

THis is NONSENSE - if you are bitten by a box jelly you will probably die if someone administers ice to you as it will only increase the injection of venom....these are NOT the usual jellyfish!!!!after you are in te hands of a doctor then let them choose what to do.....and there's no guarantee in Thailand they will know as the govt etc have issued no guidelines. If you want to know what to do look up an Australian site.

I'd also like to know where in Thailand you can by "creams" for a box jelly sting - they don't "bite"

Edited by Deeral

For the record, Box Jelly Fish and Blue Bottle Jellyfish as displayed in the photos do NOT attack. What a croc of crap these reporters put out. Any Jellyfish capable of stinging can cause reaction from heart palpitation, shock and in some instances, severe pain causes death but not by the poison as it rarely penetrates to cause the affect. Box Jellies breed in Mangrove swamps and as already mentioned by the Aussie - adhere to Vinegar and pull the tentacles off as soon as possible. The other thing to ease pain is put wet sand on the affected areas immediately and get help.

It is not rocket science and the stings of box jellies can be compared to a bee sting as opposed to a wasp. The wasp will cause the greater reaction and pain but both hurt as many of us know. The box jelly has tentacles which float freely and ensnare passing food and grow about 4+ feet in length. The sting is a paralysis and severe shock far worse than say the blue bottle sting.

Either way Australians learned a long tome ago not to swim in infested waters for 4 months of the year during breeding season and those who insisted used pantyhose whilst swimming their daily exercises making it nigh on impossible to be stung. The other thing to be aware of is don't swim during breeding season when onshore winds blow as the floating jellies get pushed back onshore.

The natural world is full of nasties but death from these occurs against very young (unable to cope with the shock) and older people with pre-existing conditions.

<br>I don't think that cover up is going on. I think Thai authority fully aware of this 3 case for 3 year period. Phuket Gazette run 2 page article about it. I think it was conferece here in Phuket involving scientist,government,tour operators an<br>and all information was easily accesable.<br>Thousands tourist swimming in Pang Na Bay and Phuket daily. If it was a real problem, it would of many more cases.<br>
<br><br>THHe first reported deaths attributed to jellyfish go back over ten years, but they have been on the increase - there are measures the authorities could have taken but they have chosen to ignore it - if that isn;t a coverup then it is dam close to one.

<div>the fact is that to find out anything about these creatures in Thailand is VERY difficult - the Authorities are doing te usual Thai thing - ignorte it and hope it goes away. We now seem to be getting one or two deaths a year and maybe a few more that are "misdiagnosed" etc........</div>

THis subject has been broached several times ob=ver the last few years and the lack of action - even cover up - has been suggested.

comments like the above are extremely unhelpful and show a lack of appreciation for the people killed and the risk involved.

A box jelly sting - attack is not really the right word - is very often fatal.

THey are not at all easily visible by swimmers and without simple emergency treatment and basic warning and advice there will be more needless deaths.there are some simple precautions that can mean the difference between life and death.A few years ago, I even asked the company I was working with if they were interested in sponsoring a campaign to educate people about these animals and provide first aid in the form of vinegar on beaches around Thailand - it fell on deaf ears.

Anyone who has lived in Queensland will know that the threat of "stingers" is real and serious.Whether there is a change in population or habitat as not yet been made clear.there was a conference on it in Phuket a while back but as expected virtually no concrete action has resulted.

BTW - I think that the pictures are not all of the box jelly one appears to be a portuguese man-of-war - unpleasant but nowhere near as deadly as the box-jelly or stinger.

Deeral is right on the ball with his comments.

A couple of years ago when I was in Khao Lak, a Scandinavian guy came out of the water, covered in a jellyfish rash. I poured on vinegar, even though the staff at the beach side resto said it shouldn't be used.

Later I was told by a jellyfish expert in Townsville that it was mosty probably a 'sheet jellyfish' that caused the sting. Vinegar was the correct first aid.

If there are box jellyfish around, then that is bad news. Northern Queensland beaches are full of warning, bottles of vinegar every 200 metres and parts of the beach netted off to keep out the stingers.

Box jellyfish have long tentacles, and where they hit you, a large rash is left like a burn. It is a painful way to die I'm told.

The term Irukunji' is aboriginal, and means something like 'painful death'.

I remember seeing a very recent documentary about this. Their poison is apparently the most deadly naturally occuring toxin known to man!

One of the researchers was stung and in agonizing pain for days. They described it as several days of utter hel_l! Not something I ever want to experience.