Wife Wants Viktor Bout Brought Back To Thailand To Face Charges Here

webfact

MERCHANT OF DEATH

Wife wants Bout brought back to face charges here

Victor Bout, the alleged arms smuggler who was extradited last week to the United States, should be returned to Bangkok to face pending court cases here, his wife said yesterday.

"However absurd it may sound, we will try to make the Thai government, which released Victor into the hands of the American authorities, bring him back from the United States to Thailand and release him," Alla Bout told a press conference.

She argued that Bout's lawyer on October 8 appealed an earlier ruling. Under Thai law all court cases must be cleared before an extradition can be carried out.

Alla Bout said she would take legal action against the Thai government, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and the authorities who signed the extradition papers.

"The government of Thailand has once more shown its complete subservience to Washington, and willingness to fulfill any order of their American bosses," she said.

Thailand insists that it strictly followed judicial procedures in the Bout case, and there was no political interference involved.

"The extradition was carried out as all the outstanding cases had been addressed," Foreign Ministry spokesman Thani Thongphakdi said. He added that there was no evidence that Bout's lawyer had submitted an appeal on October 8. Bout was extradited to the US on November 16 after a Bangkok court dropped a final case against him.

The decision to allow Bout's extradition irked the Russian government, which accused Thailand of bowing to US political pressure.

Bout faces charges of illegal arms trading and selling millions of dollars worth of weapons to a terrorist organisation for killing Americans. If convicted, he could be sentenced to life in prison.

US officials alleged Bout's air cargo business was a cover for transporting weapons and military equipment around the world, including to Africa, South America and the Middle East.

The 43-year-old former Soviet Air Force officer was arrested in Bangkok in March 2008 in a sting operation led by US agents posing as arms buyers for a leftist rebel group.

Bout has denied the charges, calling them "entirely a fabrication of the US".

His wife plans to travel to the US to support her husband in his ongoing travails.

She denied that her husband was a billionaire, as the US government and media sources claim.

"Today, Victor Bout is totally broke," Alla Bout said. "The American justice system, if it is just, and the American people, if they are moral, will have to ask themselves this question - if Victor's riches are lies, then what other lies could be hidden in the great mudslide that has been poured on my husband and family."

Alla said the US government had transformed her husband into a terrorist because they had failed to catch the real terrorist, Osama bin Laden.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-23

I would expect a serious newspaper to be more precise! You forgot to mention that once Alla Bout will be back in Moskau later this week she and her lawyers will prepare to sue the Thai government, the PM Abhisit and the authorities involved in his extradition at the International Criminal Court. She will charge them also with violating her husbands human rights by preventing due legal process, humiliating him during the procedure (stripping him naked and taking all his belongings) - these action were not different than a criminal kidnapping.

They are also going to sue the American entertainment industry for making a movie about Viktor that is pure fiction and that completely destroyed the reputation of Viktor.

Her lawyer mentioned that the case in Thailand is in good shape and from the legal standpoint he is very confident.

These are just the mere facts about what she said yesterday - I was there; no need to shoot the messenger...

I would expect a serious newspaper to be more precise! You forgot to mention that once Alla Bout will be back in Moskau later this week she and her lawyers will prepare to sue the Thai government, the PM Abhisit and the authorities involved in his extradition at the International Criminal Court. She will charge them also with violating her husbands human rights by preventing due legal process, humiliating him during the procedure (stripping him naked and taking all his belongings) - these action were not different than a criminal kidnapping.

They are also going to sue the American entertainment industry for making a movie about Viktor that is pure fiction and that completely destroyed the reputation of Viktor.

Her lawyer mentioned that the case in Thailand is in good shape and from the legal standpoint he is very confident.

These are just the mere facts about what she said yesterday - I was there; no need to shoot the messenger...

Some lawyers are going to make some money off of her. Nothing else will come of it.

Actually one more thing will come of it.... It will be a source of amusement and ridicule of TV and other forums.

Being arrested is not a criminal kidnapping.

If the film is pure fiction, how can it be about Victor?

Due legal process was followed. One case found to extradite him. Another case was withdrawn.

How can he face charges here? He was charged for breaking US laws, the US requested his arrest and extradition. As per the Thailand/US extradition treaty, he was arrested and a court case found that extradition was lawful.

(These comments aren't aimed at you, TF, just commenting as if it was in the OP)

"However absurd it may sound, we will try to make the Thai government, which released Victor into the hands of the American authorities, bring him back from the United States to Thailand and release him," Alla Bout told a press conference.

Yup .... sounds pretty absurd!!!!! :lol:

Some lawyers are going to make some money off of her. Nothing else will come of it.

Actually one more thing will come of it.... It will be a source of amusement and ridicule of TV and other forums.

I can't imagine a lawyer taking on her Thai cases "pro bono". She has to pay them, and it will be big money. So, if they are broke, where is the money coming from?

He cases won't get anywhere...she's just complaining to the media to get some attention...

Unfortunately I think she has no money to go to the US and no money to go back to Russia. Even if she went to the US (assuming they would give her a visa), the American press won't use her raves even for filler. The US courts will be happy to consider her request to bring him back after he finishes his time served in the US......whenever that is. Victor Bout is no longer news here in Thailand - he's gone, never to return. The press should move on. Stop printing the ravings of a women who's not sure what to do with herself now - it's not news.

Its a normal legal proceeding and her right to take legal action. A court will judge about this.

If there was a procedural error or something else not 100% kosher and they need Bout back in Thailand to fix this, i wonder how the USA will react if a Thai court request Bout back.

Its a normal legal proceeding and her right to take legal action. A court will judge about this.

If there was a procedural error or something else not 100% kosher and they need Bout back in Thailand to fix this, i wonder how the USA will react if a Thai court request Bout back.

Umm, that's not going to happen.

Has that happened before? Ever?

Has that happened before? Ever?

Some four or five years ago, there was an American guy extradited to Thailand. At the time, the press said that this was the first time that this had happened (US to TH). The man was wanted for various charges in both countries, but as the charges in Thailand were more serious (murder), the Americans agreed to send the guy to Thailand with the proviso that if the murder charge in Thailand failed then he would be returned to the USA to face the outstanding charges there.

The murder charge failed, and the guy is still walking around in Thailand (albeit on bail for other charges).

So - "i wonder how the USA will react if a Thai court request Bout back." not a snowball's chance in hel_l I would suggest.

What will not happen

a) she will not file the charges/ the request as announced

B) that a court will not review the decision to extradite Bout

c) will not request Bout back

or d) the USA will not give him back and ignore the then valid request to send Bout back?

And what makes you so sure? Do you know enough about all this to exclude any of these points?

What will not happen

a) she will not file the charges/ the request as announced

b ) that a court will not review the decision to extradite Bout

c) will not request Bout back

or d) the USA will not give him back and ignore the then valid request to send Bout back?

And what makes you so sure? Do you know enough about all this to exclude any of these points?

I think a) probably won't happen, b ) is unlikely, c) is very unlikley and d) definitely won't happen until the US have finished with him.

Just call it gut instinct.

edit .. I hate when b ) turns into B)

Edited by whybother

Some four or five years ago, there was an American guy extradited to Thailand. At the time, the press said that this was the first time that this had happened (US to TH). The man was wanted for various charges in both countries, but as the charges in Thailand were more serious (murder), the Americans agreed to send the guy to Thailand with the proviso that if the murder charge in Thailand failed then he would be returned to the USA to face the outstanding charges there.

The murder charge failed, and the guy is still walking around in Thailand (albeit on bail for other charges).

So - "i wonder how the USA will react if a Thai court request Bout back." not a snowball's chance in hel_l I would suggest.

Lets keep this as theoretical/hypothetical legal questions.

How would be the procedure in such a case? The 'USA' will not argue with "Has that happened before? Ever?" or "remember that guy some four or five years ago - so no,no not again".

The request to send him back would be a very valid one according to the Thai law, a request by a court the 'USA' cannot simply ignore or do something that would be seen disrespectful towards the Thai court and law system, the very law system that helped them in the first place to get Bout. They must have some good reasons to deny it. If there is no trust in the Thai law system the circumstance of his arrest would be become in a trail in the USA also highly questionable and could as a procedural error ruin the sought outcome the whole process.

How would be the procedure in such a case? The 'USA' will not argue with "Has that happened before? Ever?" or "remember that guy some four or five years ago - so no,no not again".

The request to send him back would be a very valid one according to the Thai law, a request by a court the 'USA' cannot simply ignore or do something that would be seen disrespectful towards the Thai court and law system, the very law system that helped them in the first place to get Bout. They must have some good reasons to deny it. If there is no trust in the Thai law system the circumstance of his arrest would be become in a trail in the USA also highly questionable and could as a procedural error ruin the sought outcome the whole process.

The request to send him back may be valid, IF they ever got around to requesting he get sent back. I think you're getting ahead of yourself. As per your above post, a) and b ) have to happen before they get around to thinking about c). And if c) happens, then we can start considering d).

edit: if they got as far as c), there would be a lot of appeals by the US to delay things (as Bout tried to do).

Edited by whybother

Ya just gotta keep asking the question - what is the Bout family and Russia so afraid of? And as for not guilty then why did Viktor get caught in the sting! Wish this story would just go away.... blink.gif

For me its quite understandable that neither Bout himself nor his wife and family wants him to be in jail.

And if everything is so clear why took it so long until he was send to the USA and that in a quick last minute move?

American law pays heed to precedence. Has it ever happened before? is very valid as that would be one of the first things the courts there would consider.

In the proffered example, the precedence is not established as the situation (charges in both countries) doesn't apply here.

Has a person ever been extradited to the USA by a country who subsequently requested that the extradition be retracted and the accused returned to that country?

The request to send him back may be valid, IF they ever got around to requesting he get sent back. I think you're getting ahead of yourself. As per your above post, a) and b ) have to happen before they get around to thinking about c). And if c) happens, then we can start considering d).

edit: if they got as far as c), there would be a lot of appeals by the US to delay things (as Bout tried to do).

for c - you mean same as Bout was seen to try to avoid justice(his 'delay tactic', albeit his legal right, was highly criticized at this board) the USA would do the same and try everything to delay and to deny him justice?

for c - you mean same as Bout was seen to try to avoid justice(his 'delay tactic', albeit his legal right, was highly criticized at this board) the USA would do the same and try everything to delay and to deny him justice?

Actually, Bout appealed that charges against him should NOT be dropped. Exactly how do you explain that?

The US asked for extradition based on 2 sets of charges. They were successful on one set, so they withdrew the other. Bout appealed against the courts accepting the withdrawal of charges.

What justice is Bout expecting? The courts found that he should be extradited. Does he want to complete the appeal of the other case so he can be extradited on that too? Or does he want that case dropped so he can be extradited on the first case?

I would expect that the US would appeal against a decision that does not go in their favour. They wouldn't appeal a decision that DID go in their favour.

American law pays heed to precedence. Has it ever happened before? is very valid as that would be one of the first things the courts there would consider.

In the proffered example, the precedence is not established as the situation (charges in both countries) doesn't apply here.

Has a person ever been extradited to the USA by a country who subsequently requested that the extradition be retracted and the accused returned to that country?

so what? No precedence? Will that be enough to deny to send him back?

so easy?

And what about the risk of a procedural error in the circumstances how he was arrested and detained?

Anyway Bout never talked with any FARC rebels in Bangkok nor sold them any weapons. If i go for the easy argument - the case should be closed.