Sweetbread

The Gentleman Scamp

I had a bacon and egg sandwich today not realising it was on that sweetbread that is so popular in Asia (not just Thailand) and I wretched with such force that those around me thought I was bringing up my liver.

I could not touch the sandwich after that.

Sweet bread is an abomination and blasphemy towards real bakery.

The bread itself is always a horrible, 'false' texture, almost like some spongy latex material used to make things that you squeeze when stressed then watch them regain shape.

Now, is sweetbread an Asian invention or just a horrible mutation of our own bread, a mistake that they stuck with and liked or a deliberate variation on an idea that was initaially that of which ever country invented bread in the first place?

What if it is a doughnut (or 'donut') ?

I like doughnuts very much. Especially those with raspberry jam, or vanilla creme, or choc topping with hundreds and thousands, or plain warm sugared ones fresh from the oven.

25 baht for 5 in Big C.

Now, is sweetbread an Asian invention or just a horrible mutation of our own bread, a mistake that they stuck with and liked or a deliberate variation on an idea that was initaially that of which ever country invented bread in the first place?

I think the "bacon and egg sandwich" was simply a foriegn concept for them.

Was this on their menu, or a special request?

There is plenty of "normal" breads to be found, including numerous commercial "enriched white bread", suitible for an egg sandwich.

Talk about a horrible mutation: "Enriched White Bread"

What if it is a doughnut (or 'donut') ?

I like doughnuts very much. Especially those with raspberry jam, or vanilla creme, or choc topping with hundreds and thousands, or plain warm sugared ones fresh from the oven.

25 baht for 5 in Big C.

I like the ones with custard in em.... :o

incidently .. I used to work in a bakery and when a new person started we used to stick them on the machine that injected the jam into to the donut, but we would increase the volume/pressure so that when they injected the donut it would explode, creating a big mess... very very funny :D

totster :D

Oh and how about the salad cream they put on fruit salads trying to fob it off as mayo?

Okay, if somebody was a qualified chef who was also a good baker, could they make a living traveling around Asia training the staff of hotels and resorts how to get their western food as spot on as possible?

I know the best hotels actually import foreign chefs but what about the 3 and 4 stars?

Many a true word p1p

Sweetbread is the culinary term for the thymus gland and the pancreas in young cows, sheep and pigs.

Absolutely nothing to do with bread from bakeries, sounds to me like they put a little too much sugar in the bread mix though :D , not that I know anything about baking :o