American Football

ChuckZ

He could mean the Ravens. I think the Cardinals flew off to the Arena League. :D

The Cardinals ended up at 8-8 last year. Three of their 8 wins were against Pittsburg, Cleveland and Seattle all teams with overall 10-6 records. Not spectacular but certainly respectable.

No I believe the poster is referring to the Sea Chickens.

They reside in the weakest division in the NFL.

The NFC West is definitely pathetic (Rams and 49ers) but a real strong arguement can be made that the AFC West (Raiders, Chiefs, Broncos :o) is even worse.

Edited by Groongthep

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He could mean the Ravens. I think the Cardinals flew off to the Arena League. :D

The Cardinals ended up at 8-8 last year. Three of their 8 wins were against Pittsburg, Cleveland and Seattle all teams with overall 10-6 records. Not spectacular but certainly respectable.

The NFC West is definitely pathetic (Rams and 49ers) but a real strong arguement can be made that the AFC West (Raiders, Chiefs, Broncos :o ) is even worse.

Huh? The Chargers are Joe-Q's pick to win the Super Bowl this year......

The NFC West is definitely pathetic (Rams and 49ers) but a real strong arguement can be made that the AFC West (Raiders, Chiefs, Broncos :o ) is even worse.

Huh? The Chargers are Joe-Q's pick to win the Super Bowl this year......

No question the Chargers will be back in the playoffs again this year. They'll very possibly win all 6 games against the teams in their own division. Not entirely because the are so strong but also because the rest of their division is so bad.

birds = eagles; you know the eagles and cowboys hate each other as they are in the same division. just playing, i would expect a cowboys fan to say the same about the eagles or giants . . well that is if a cowboys fan could talk :o

birds = eagles; you know the eagles and cowboys hate each other as they are in the same division. just playing, i would expect a cowboys fan to say the same about the eagles or giants . . well that is if a cowboys fan could talk :o

whoops ! Sorry quunk89. Coming from the left coast I only heard of Seattle's team called "the birds".

You are right, if the Eagles stay healthy, they will be a contender.

So what do you guys think about Brett Favre insisting on coming back and now being sent to the Jets? If this guy would have just made up his mind and really left the first time he said he was going to leave he would have gone down in the books as one of the classier players ever to play the game. Instead he besmirches his good name and fantastic record by 2 or 3 times saying that he is going to retire just to change his mind later. Oh, and each time he said he was going to go he made a big show of it complete with tears and hugs and all that crap. Now people will look back and see just another spoiled arrogant jock. What a douche bag.

Edited by Groongthep

So what do you guys think about Brett Favre insisting on coming back and now being sent to the Jets? If this guy would have just made up his mind and really left the first time he said he was going to leave he would have gone down in the books as one of the classier players ever to play the game. Instead he besmirches his good name and fantastic record by 2 or 3 times saying that he is going to retire just to change his mind later. Oh, and each time he said he was going to go he made a big show of it complete with tears and hugs and all that crap. Now people will look back and see just another spoiled arrogant jock. What a douche bag.

I don't think we can judge another person's emotions with any degree of accuracy. And we certainly can't judge the intensity a person feels for an emotionally charged career like NFL football.

I'll tell you this, when the Patriots won the first Super Bowl of their 42-year history, every one of which I had ridden through with them, I cried like a baby. When I watch Patriots games, my emotions are totally illogical and immature. Whether they win or lose has no tangible affect on my life. But there's no way that I can convince the emotions that flow within me of that fact!

Brett Favre was a hel_l of a lot more than a "fan" of the Packers. They were second only to his family in importance to his life. I believe that the emotion he showed when trying to retire were real. I believe that the team, the game, and his part in them, were so much a part of him that he had a very difficult time dealing with ending it.

I still respect him for the way he played the game; and for his dedication to it. If all of our American politicians truly had that same level of dedication; we'd have a much better country.

I think the guy's been genuinely undecided for years, and while it's been a pain in the backside to watch, it happens. If I ran the Green Bay franchise -- be very glad I don't -- I'd have cut him a year or two ago when he was sucking. Like Jimmy Johnson did to Dan Marino.

I read one theory somewhere that, when with the Green Bay brain trust, Favre could almost, almost, just aaaaaalmost see it their way. Then he'd go home, into the orbits of agent and wife, and change his mind yet again. Pure speculation, but the guy is much more indecisive off the field than on it.

But as it played out, well, the Jets just got a lot more interesting. And as for Favre, well, 16 years is a long time to hold the same job. Why not let him see what he can do somewhere else? He still knows the game, and he's still got the arm strength to crack shoulder pads. Maybe he'll "have fun out there" again. (*groan*)

Oh yeah, and as a Panther homer, Favre and the Jets don't affect me at all.

I feel bad for Pennington, like the Jets fans who love him. Student of the game, extremely sharp mind, absolutely a class act all around, one shoulder surgery too many. I'd love him on the bench in a mentor role. Talk of him STARTING in Miami smells like desperation for that franchise. We want Cleo Lemon!

Oh, and I thought the Jets still had Vinny Testaverde on speed dial...

I don't think we can judge another person's emotions with any degree of accuracy. And we certainly can't judge the intensity a person feels for an emotionally charged career like NFL football.

I'll tell you this, when the Patriots won the first Super Bowl of their 42-year history, every one of which I had ridden through with them, I cried like a baby. When I watch Patriots games, my emotions are totally illogical and immature. Whether they win or lose has no tangible affect on my life. But there's no way that I can convince the emotions that flow within me of that fact!

Brett Favre was a hel_l of a lot more than a "fan" of the Packers. They were second only to his family in importance to his life. I believe that the emotion he showed when trying to retire were real. I believe that the team, the game, and his part in them, were so much a part of him that he had a very difficult time dealing with ending it.

I still respect him for the way he played the game; and for his dedication to it. If all of our American politicians truly had that same level of dedication; we'd have a much better country.

Well I totally agree with you about how fans' emotions can be totally illogical and immature; I feel the same way about the Bears. I've lived and died with them since I was a kid. I've even made stupid bets on them in Las Vegas knowing in the back of my mind they didn't stand a chance. Such is the life of any die hard fan. But back on topic, I was talking about Favre. Pro athletes do need to be concerned about their image and need to rise above the silliness of average fans. Favre will probably be around football long after he finally does retire or at least his name will be kicked around long after he is gone. The spectacle he has made of himself in this "I'm leaving-No, I'm staying" shenanigans will continue to hurt him. Hopefully we won't see him in a half time interview 10 or 20 years from now blabbering some drunken bull$h*t like Joe Namath. I still think he's a douche bag.

Sorry, I thought you were referring to the Cardinals. The Eagles are another story. All kidding aside, the Cowboys/Eagles always play tough games, similar to the Cowboys/Giants and Cowboys/Redskins. Let's face it, this is a tough division.

Sorry, I thought you were referring to the Cardinals. The Eagles are another story. All kidding aside, the Cowboys/Eagles always play tough games, similar to the Cowboys/Giants and Cowboys/Redskins. Let's face it, this is a tough division.

True, true OMR. Proof in the pudding is that Giants Super Bowl win. Top to bottom I believe the NFC East is the toughest division. I actually am thinking of some futures bets on both the Redskins and the Eagles.

Regarding Brent Favre, I thought his agent was GENIOUS when they got that 20 million "stay retired" golden parachute, but alas, now Favre will follow the same path as Montana and other greats who stuck around a little too long and ended their careers on some shi**ty team instead of the teams where they reached greatness. One and done for Favreee and no 20 million this time around........too bad.

On the other hand, if Tom Brady goes out for the season (and I don't wish that on anybody, just speculating) the Jets might be in a good position to win the division. Big if though....

Regarding Brent Favre, I thought his agent was GENIOUS when they got that 20 million "stay retired" golden parachute, but alas, now Favre will follow the same path as Montana and other greats who stuck around a little too long and ended their careers on some shi**ty team instead of the teams where they reached greatness. One and done for Favreee and no 20 million this time around........too bad.

What Favre's agent was able to achieve is to move from a very small market to a very large market.

Huge Redskins fan, and a pretty big Buckeyes and Bearcats fan as well.

Looks like another black and blue season for the NFC East. Any team in the division should be happy to split with the rest. I was over the moon when Gibbs first came back to coach but it became pretty clear early on the game had passed him by - Not so much on the field but off the field. Turning the team over to Zorn looks like it might just work out. The S man has put to much into big names and big moves, a man like Zorn can take the team back to basics. Besides if anyone can sort out the QB situation in DC it's Zorn.

The Buckeyes will probably play yet again in the national championship game (biggest hurdle being USC in the beginning of the season and then Michigan to close it out).

I’ll be keeping my eye on Georgia – lots of talent returning for them as well.

Bearcats had their best season in decades but lost some talent on the O side of the ball. If the system is why they won so many games last year they’ll be OK. They also need some of the young guys to step up to the plate on the D line. They got a couple of corners that allow them to play hard n’ fast with blitz packages, and this gave them a huge edge last year turnover ratio.

Up until last year my internet connection worked fine for video streaming. But last year, same provider, same package, things went to sh*t. The connection was fast enough for less than half of the games.

Hail to the Redskins, Hail Victory, Braves on the warpath, FIGHT FOR OL' DC.

Huge Redskins fan, and a pretty big Buckeyes and Bearcats fan as well.

Looks like another black and blue season for the NFC East. Any team in the division should be happy to split with the rest. I was over the moon when Gibbs first came back to coach but it became pretty clear early on the game had passed him by - Not so much on the field but off the field. Turning the team over to Zorn looks like it might just work out. The S man has put to much into big names and big moves, a man like Zorn can take the team back to basics. Besides if anyone can sort out the QB situation in DC it's Zorn.

The Buckeyes will probably play yet again in the national championship game (biggest hurdle being USC in the beginning of the season and then Michigan to close it out).

I’ll be keeping my eye on Georgia – lots of talent returning for them as well.

Bearcats had their best season in decades but lost some talent on the O side of the ball. If the system is why they won so many games last year they’ll be OK. They also need some of the young guys to step up to the plate on the D line. They got a couple of corners that allow them to play hard n’ fast with blitz packages, and this gave them a huge edge last year turnover ratio.

Up until last year my internet connection worked fine for video streaming. But last year, same provider, same package, things went to sh*t. The connection was fast enough for less than half of the games.

Hail to the Redskins, Hail Victory, Braves on the warpath, FIGHT FOR OL' DC.

Good post other than you root for the wrong teams. Actually, I can't really say that about the Bearcats because I don't know which team this is (and am too lazy to try and figure it out).

Go Pokes!

TIME TO LOBBY TRUEVISIONS!

Some of you may remember the bad start that we got off to last year with NFL coverage on Truevisions. ESPN-Asia dropped coverage of the Sunday and Monday night games; and we only got the Sunday afternoon games for a few weeks. I, and others, wrote to Truevisions, and they fixed the problem by contracting with 'GOAL TV' to give us those night games again, returning us to 4 live NFL games each week.

I just sent a note to Truevisions to check on the plan for this season (copy below). I want to suggest that all of you take a couple of minutes to write your own note to them, demonstrating a significant level of interest, and urging them to again provide us with that full 4-game broadcast schedule.

I know that all of you love the NFL. Isn't it worth a couple of minutes to do what we can to ensure maximum coverage again?

Contact truevisions at: [email protected]

"Hello!

I wrote to you several times last year about coverage of American Football (NFL). You did a wonderful job for fans of American Football here. When ESPN-Asia dropped coverage of the NFL night games on Sunday and Monday nights (Monday and Tuesday morning here); you contracted with 'GOAL TV', and returned to live broadcasting of 4 NFL games each week for us. Thank you very much for your effort!

Now, the NFL season is about to begin again in September. Have you set your broadcast plans for this season? Will you be providing live broadcasting of 4 games for us again this year? I hope that you will be able to do this.

I look forward to hearing from you soon; and I continue to enjoy both the programming and the attention to customers that Truevisions provides.

Thank you!"

Good post other than you root for the wrong teams. Actually, I can't really say that about the Bearcats because I don't know which team this is (and am too lazy to try and figure it out).

Go Pokes!

University of Cincinnati are the Bearcats. Much better known for their basketball team. But they put up a good showing every now and again in football. The year the Buckeyes won the national Championship the Bucks closest game was probably with the Bearcats (with the exception of the Championship game itself).

Love the Skins, and pull for the NFC East, but I must say I think the NFC East has the most selfish lot of owners in the league.

Here's the response from Truevisions regarding my inquiry about broadcast plans for this season:

"Dear Khun George,

Thank you for your support in our services. For your inquiry about NFL programs, please be informed you that we have secured the right to broadcast this program. However, we are in the process of negotiating to broadcast the most matches that we can. If we have the final solution, we will update on our website. Therefore, please keep yourself updated with our website.

Thank you for your kindness and continued support. Write us again whenever we can be of further help to you. Please contact us at 02-7252525 or [email protected]"

As usual, nothing very specific to start with. I did a search on the website, and came up blank for "NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE" in September. So, we can only hope that we got their attention; and wait to see when the scheduled broadcasts actually show up. They have always done a very poor job of maintaining the website. We probably won't know what's really happening until opening weekend. Can't trust the schedule magazine either; especially during the first month. They sometimes fail to load that properly for new programming also.

They DO pay attention. They just aren't very good at actually coordinating the publication of schedules, whether online, or in print.

Here's the response from Truevisions regarding my inquiry about broadcast plans for this season:

"Dear Khun George,

Thank you for your support in our services. For your inquiry about NFL programs, please be informed you that we have secured the right to broadcast this program. However, we are in the process of negotiating to broadcast the most matches that we can. If we have the final solution, we will update on our website. Therefore, please keep yourself updated with our website.

Thank you for your kindness and continued support. Write us again whenever we can be of further help to you. Please contact us at 02-7252525 or [email protected]"

As usual, nothing very specific to start with. I did a search on the website, and came up blank for "NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE" in September. So, we can only hope that we got their attention; and wait to see when the scheduled broadcasts actually show up. They have always done a very poor job of maintaining the website. We probably won't know what's really happening until opening weekend. Can't trust the schedule magazine either; especially during the first month. They sometimes fail to load that properly for new programming also.

They DO pay attention. They just aren't very good at actually coordinating the publication of schedules, whether online, or in print.

Thanks Patsfangr. As usual, many of us will miss the first game and only find out when someone catches it by accident and then posts it here. Then the next week the time of the game will change again. It is kind of like a scavenger hunt.

I do have another solution which may or may not be practical for people here.

I still own my house in the USA, and I pay for my Direct TV there and have a TIVO. I then bought a Slingbox which connects my computer to the TIVO. I can schedule and record shows or watch them live via my computer. The streaming quality is not great. Although I pay for 1 GB, I rarely get even half of that, so it can be blocky or a low resolution. So i watch it on my smaller compuer screen rather than my tv, but at least I can watch my Chargers play each week.

I've seen the Slingbox solution (streamed live) here a few times and while it might be OK for the hard-core fan who is visually- and hearing-impaired I was not at all impressed. If the game is not on live here, say one of the four weekly games on TrueSport 4, then I prefer to download the game via a site like tenyardtorrents (they have a lot of 2007 "yearbook" videos currently in addition to the pre-season games), even though I might only get to see the game 36 hours later. I download all the Patriots games anyway, along with the weekly show on Ch. 5, and sometimes review them again, especially when they might be playing an opponent for a second time (division, playoffs). The torrents do not have commercials, which I admit I sometimes miss, and the run-time is nearly always 120 min. I go back at least three times during the NFL season so occasionally get to a game in Foxboro, or just sit around all Sunday soaking in the experience that we miss here. Never any leaves to rake, gutters to clean or snow to shovel.

hey lomatopo,

thanks for the info - will check out tenyardtorrents if i don't go with the yahoo thing . . not sure how well the yahoo thing will work with my internet connection (plus the cost). also, about the redskins, saw enormous improvement in jason campbell last year - at least in the games he played against the eagles. gonna be a great battle in the NFC east this year!

I'm one of those "hard core fans", Lomo; so I watch every Patriots game. If it's not broadcast by Truevisions here, I use a "streaming" site, and watch via "Sopcast", "TVUPlayer", or "VLC" software. We are at the mercy of the guys who are nice enough to set up streams for the games (with no fees paid to them); but there is rarely a case when somebody isn't providing a stream of a game.

The quality of the picture varies, with TVU being the sharpest. But they're all "watchable", with a little "jumping" and lack of resolution. I still transfer it from my PC to my big screen, and just deal with it. It's better than trying to follow it on the "NFL Game Day", or other printed updates available online.

But I still hope for as many games as possible on Truevisions!

I'm one of those "hard core fans", Lomo; so I watch every Patriots game. If it's not broadcast by Truevisions here, I use a "streaming" site, and watch via "Sopcast", "TVUPlayer", or "VLC" software. We are at the mercy of the guys who are nice enough to set up streams for the games (with no fees paid to them); but there is rarely a case when somebody isn't providing a stream of a game.

The quality of the picture varies, with TVU being the sharpest. But they're all "watchable", with a little "jumping" and lack of resolution. I still transfer it from my PC to my big screen, and just deal with it. It's better than trying to follow it on the "NFL Game Day", or other printed updates available online.

That's how I watch all the Pats games live (at whatever time). I definitely DON'T think it's for the visually or hearing impaired! You gotta have those skills sharpened to the format! :o

That's how I watch all the Pats games live (at whatever time). I definitely DON'T think it's for the visually or hearing impaired! You gotta have those skills sharpened to the format! :o

I, too, don't let the time of the broadcast keep me from wathing 'live'. But I will admit that I was pissed off at the players when I got up at 6 AM to watch them sleep walk through that game at Tampa on Monday morning! What a shameful performance that was, pre-season or not.

FWIW I was only commenting on the quality of two live Slingbox streams of NFL games I have seen. I thought they were unwatchable but I didn't tell my friend that as he seems to think they are fantastic. I have not seen other streaming formats so can't really comment on them. Also no problem watching the games live here in Thailand, when broadcast on UBC. But for those games I miss I love having the torrents.

FWIW I saw a brief article in the Globe, with quotes from Bob Kraft and Mike Vrabel re: extending the NFL season to 17 or 18 games. The sentiment seems to be that this will happen sooner rather than later.

I'll be back in Boston for week 4 but the Pats have a Bye that week. :o I'll also be back in Nov. so may be able to go to the Thursday night game, Nov 13, NYJ at NE {kicks off week 11} ) .

I just emailed True regarding the NFL schedule and here is the reply today.

Dear Khun Peter,

We have acknowledged your message and we would like to inform you that it will be showing on True Sport3. The schedule or further details, we will inform you again when we get the confirmation.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Thank you for your kindness and continued support. Write us again whenever we can be of further help to you. Please contact us at 02-7252525 or [email protected]