American Football

ChuckZ

You forget. The Cowboys beat the Eagles in the first game.

My rooting for the Eagles is based on rooting for the division. I have always done this in every sport when my team is knocked out. If it was the Giants, I would be rooting for the Giants.

On calling the Cards the Phoenix Cards, I was simply pointing out that many get their name confused. It was most evident last week when one announcer never did get it right and finally gave up trying to remember they are now known as the Aridzone Cardinals.

Fair enough. I can understand your support of the division your favorite team is in. I myself am different. As you know I'm a die hard Bears fan and any time any team beats the Green Bay Packers I want to jump for joy.

I'm with Groongthep on this one. I wouldn't root for the Jets against ANY team in the NFL. Nothing would make me happier than to see the Jets go 0-16 every season!

I take it on a team-by-team basis. There are several teams that I strongly dislike (Jets, Raiders, and Colts lead the pack); and several that I tend to root for, except when they play the Patriots (Panthers, 49ers, Chargers, Saints lead that group). Most of my feelings are based upon certain things that specific owners, coaches, and/or players have done; either while with that team, or in their past. So my "friends and enemies list" is "dynamic". It changes as those individuals retire, or change teams.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You forget. The Cowboys beat the Eagles in the first game.

My rooting for the Eagles is based on rooting for the division. I have always done this in every sport when my team is knocked out. If it was the Giants, I would be rooting for the Giants.

On calling the Cards the Phoenix Cards, I was simply pointing out that many get their name confused. It was most evident last week when one announcer never did get it right and finally gave up trying to remember they are now known as the Aridzone Cardinals.

Fair enough. I can understand your support of the division your favorite team is in. I myself am different. As you know I'm a die hard Bears fan and any time any team beats the Green Bay Packers I want to jump for joy.

I'm with Groongthep on this one. I wouldn't root for the Jets against ANY team in the NFL. Nothing would make me happier than to see the Jets go 0-16 every season!

I take it on a team-by-team basis. There are several teams that I strongly dislike (Jets, Raiders, and Colts lead the pack); and several that I tend to root for, except when they play the Patriots (Panthers, 49ers, Chargers, Saints lead that group). Most of my feelings are based upon certain things that specific owners, coaches, and/or players have done; either while with that team, or in their past. So my "friends and enemies list" is "dynamic". It changes as those individuals retire, or change teams.

I don't have a list of favorite teams as it seems several others do. I like some players on other teams, but when it comes down to it, I am a Cowboys fan. I am not a Cowboys plus 4, 5 or 6 other teams fan. This is why when the Cowboys aren't in it (happening too often lately), I stick with the division and when the division isn't in it (like now) then I go with the conference (the Cards). Last year I ended up rooting for the Giants against the Patriots. This is how my loyalties run.

i have to give it up for kurt warner and the arizona O, i didn't think they could move the ball like that against the eagles D . . i knew they would be able to muster more O than the previous meeting in Philly, but i was expecting more of the second half with the eagles consistently in warner's face. props to the arizona O line and warners quick, smart decision making combined with accurate throws. fitzgerald is a beast; best receiver in football right now. arizona played physical for a change; where did that come from?

although i must say, on the last 4th down play for the eagles O, that was pass interference . . rod hood fell down and was grabbinng at curtis's legs way before the ball got there. not taking anything away from arizona, i just hate it when things end that way. although, mcnabb should have hit baskett for the first on third down anyway.

mcnabb made some great throws, especially in the second half (jackson, celek), but he was inaccurate at times and left a couple of huge plays on the field especially in the first half . . a sure touchdown to baskett was one of them. i love #5, but his streakyness is tough in big games. the d being exposed in the first half was the biggest issue though . again props to arizona and their O coordinator, great play calls that exposed the eagles blitz and aggressiveness. warner read the blitzes and unloaded the rock quickly to his playmakers. clutch drive for warner after the eagles went ahead and had all the momentum . . hof qb? second time losing to warner in the nfc championship game . . sucks!

Edited by qwunk89

I don't have a list of favorite teams as it seems several others do. I like some players on other teams, but when it comes down to it, I am a Cowboys fan. I am not a Cowboys plus 4, 5 or 6 other teams fan. This is why when the Cowboys aren't in it (happening too often lately), I stick with the division and when the division isn't in it (like now) then I go with the conference (the Cards). Last year I ended up rooting for the Giants against the Patriots. This is how my loyalties run.

And that last one, of course, is why you and I will not spend any time together in the afterlife, OMR. I'll try to get a message to you DOWN THERE, if I can! :o:D

how about that hit at the end of the steelers/ravens game . . that was brutal. i hope mcgahee is okay. wicked, wicked collision at fullspeed.

Few people hate the Steelers more than I do. That said, I don't think, as some do, that the helmet to helmet contact on that hit was intentionall. Scott DID lead with his shoulder. As they were about to collide, McGahee lowered his hear, a natural protective reaction. When he did that, since he was leaning forward, his head was higher than Scott's shoulder, causing their heads to clash before Scott's shoulder hit McGahee's body.

It was a terrible collision, and I certainly hope that McGahee has a quick and complete recovery.

Now, GO CARDINALS!!

UBC has shown the Cardinals/Eagles game twice today and the schedule shows another two showings later today and tomorrow.

Where the hel_l is the Ravens/Steelers game???

UBC BLOWS!!!

Check back earlier in this thread, cloghead. You'll see some detailed discussion about the "licensing agreements" that determine what can and cannot be broadcast by TrueVisions. Briefly, their licensing agreement allowed them to broadcast ONLY the National Conference Playoff games during the last two weekends. Thus, no Ravens-Dolphins or Steelers-Chargers last week; and no Ravens-Steelers this week. Nor, of course, are there any replays coming, since they didn't broadcast them 'live'.

Again, there's detailed discussion of the whole mess earlier, so I won't use space to beat that dead horse here.

Have you seen the nominations for NFL Coach of the Year?

OK, this pisses me off!

I have no problem with the nominations of :

- Sparano, who, as a rookie HC, took a 1-15 team to 11-5, and a Division Championship, with a scrap heap QB, and unknown WRs; or

- Harbough, another rookie HC, who had a rookie QB, and a RB corps constantly disrupted by injuries, and took them to a Wild Card spot; or

- Mike Smith, who stepped into a team that was reeling from the Vick mess, with another rookie QB, a unremarkable WR corps, and a questionable defense, and took them to a WC spot.

But how the hel_l can these idiots leave Belichick off the list, with all that the Patriots went through this year, and nominate:

- Coughlin, who has the freakin' SB champion team, with no significant losses until late in the season, and was eliminated from the Playoffs by a WC team; or

- Fisher, who was lucky enough to draft a RB who had one of the best seasons for a rookie in years, and, a solid, experienced, highly rated team, with a veteran QB; or

- Tomlin, whose team was LOADED going in, and favored by almost everyone to be in the Super Bowl.

NONE of those last three deserve a nomination over Belichick; NOT ONE OF THEM!

The prejudice against the Patriots around the league is disgusting!

OK, this pisses me off!

- Sparano, who, as a rookie HC, took a 1-15 team to 11-5, and a Division Championship, with a scrap heap QB, and unknown WRs; or

- Harbough, another rookie HC, who had a rookie QB, and a RB corps constantly disrupted by injuries, and took them to a Wild Card spot; or

- Mike Smith, who stepped into a team that was reeling from the Vick mess, with another rookie QB, a unremarkable WR corps, and a questionable defense, and took them to a WC spot.

But how the hel_l can these idiots leave Belichick off the list, with all that the Patriots went through this year, and nominate:

- Coughlin, who has the freakin' SB champion team, with no significant losses until late in the season, and was eliminated from the Playoffs by a WC team; or

- Fisher, who was lucky enough to draft a RB who had one of the best seasons for a rookie in years, and, a solid, experienced, highly rated team, with a veteran QB; or

- Tomlin, whose team was LOADED going in, and favored by almost everyone to be in the Super Bowl.

yeah, they really need to wait until the end of the season (playoffs included) to start giving out awards. i agree, belicheck should be up there. also, whisenhunt is looking pretty sweet right now. why they need to award things before the end of the season i will never know . . don't even get me started about the pro bowl . .

OK, this pisses me off!

Belichick did receive one vote.

I would think this is more a prejudice against Belichick himself and not the Patriots. Let's face it. Belichick seems to go out of his way to piss people off. He is a great coach, no doubt, but in the political arena that these nominations come from, he is a dud.

Another dumb call by the refs. That punt did not go out of bounds, did not touch an Eagle player & was recovered by the Cardinals.

Right result nevertheless.

I recorded the game on my PVR and on that play I replayed the replays many, many times looking for any sign that the ball changed directions (indicating it was touched). You are right. It wasn't touched. That should have been first and ten for the Cards on the Eagles 20 yard line. The officials flat out blew this call.

Oh, and I did the same on the throw to Curtis late in the game. They blew that one as well as it was, without question, pass interference.

Bandwagon jumper is a bit harsh, Mr Fargas. On the day the Panthers were born, I became a fan, first, foremost, and always. Their logo adorns my website, I didn't abandon them through the Weinke period, and they are my team. Hometown pride.

But once they got blown out of the playoffs, and I wiped away my manly tears, it seemed a shame to quit watching, so I needed a new rooting interest. Since there have been no Panthers for most of my life, those pre-Panther habits were my guide. Namely, love of the underdog. The Cardinal Bandwagon, from where I'm sitting, looks more like a songtaew with an empty bench, so I jumped in the back for a bumpy ride that I may or may not survive. Works for me.

(Oh yeah, it's a bright red songtaew. Looks like some kid's pajamas.)

I've loved the Steelers for about 40 years, and if they win a ring for the other hand, I'll be happy for them. hel_l, I think O'Donnell was paid off to screw them over anyway, plus Mike Tomlin impresses the bejeezus out of me. But, like Philly and Baltimore, I expect to see Pittsburgh in the playoffs every year. Arizona feels like now-or-never. Or once a century.

There are 32 teams. I cannot, like the average sportswriter, claim to love all 32 equally. There are my beloved Carolina Panthers, of course. There are also the teams I hate. Dallas, because they're Dallas. Detroit because the Fords are too incompetent to live, although I think Schwartz will turn them around and make me happy. I can find something to like about most teams, which is a good thing, because after all, every year there are 31 losing teams.

(Or "loosing," to quote the average blogger.)

Oh, and hating Dallas back when they were incompetent was no fun at all. That was just kicking someone when they were down, kinda like any Raider haters should feel right now.

"We Are Who We Thought We Were!"

P.S. Boston Celtics? I didn't know Boston had an NFL franchise. They've never been in the playoffs, have they?

(Sorry Patsfangr, I just couldn't resist. I'd be happy if my Panthers swipe Cassel or Brady -- it doesn't matter which. The Patriots can have a Delhomme, a Weinke, and David "Hide The Keys" Carr. And a bribe.)

OK, this pisses me off!

Belichick did receive one vote.

I would think this is more a prejudice against Belichick himself and not the Patriots. Let's face it. Belichick seems to go out of his way to piss people off. He is a great coach, no doubt, but in the political arena that these nominations come from, he is a dud.

You're certainly right about Belichick being the lightning rod for the prejudice, OMR. It's similar to the media's refusal to delay voting Ted Williams and Jim Rice into the Hall of Fame for so long, because both of them were less than cooperative with the press.

Qwunk is right on with noting that Wisenhunt also belonged among the nominees for COY this season. I would have listed Belichick, Wisenhunt, and Norv Turner (for the Chargers' improbable comeback) in place of Coughlin, Tomlin, and Fisher. My three all overcame greater coaching challenges than did those last 3 nominees.

My vote, by way, would still have gone for Sparano, regardless of who else was nominated, including Belichick. That was really an outstanding achievement.

As for the upcoming Super Bowl, it (we'd presume) will be shown on True UBC for those with Gold and Platinum packages... with the usual breaktime Thai language commentary.

For those without, I watched it last year at Bourbon Street (same Thai feed from UBC) and the experience was OK... just OK... One large screen in the newer dining room, and a lot of smaller TVs elsewhere. Price was just your choice, greater or less, of food and drink. They opened specially early that day for the game.

Was in Bully's Pub today for breakfast, and they're advertising opening at 5:30 am that day this year for the Super Bowl with a fixed price ticket for food and drinks. Asked the staff, what was the price of the ticket going to be, and the girl said her boss hadn't informed the staff yet -- even though they're advertising the ticket/event on their bulletin board inside... Hmmm......

I remember from last year, others saying they had a good/better experience with other places that instead carried the Malaysian (or other country) satellite TV feed, which came with English language commentary. But not sure what places have the non-True UBC feeds available this year.

As for the upcoming Super Bowl, it (we'd presume) will be shown on True UBC for those with Gold and Platinum packages... with the usual breaktime Thai language commentary.

For those without, I watched it last year at Bourbon Street (same Thai feed from UBC) and the experience was OK... just OK... One large screen in the newer dining room, and a lot of smaller TVs elsewhere. Price was just your choice, greater or less, of food and drink. They opened specially early that day for the game.

Was in Bully's Pub today for breakfast, and they're advertising opening at 5:30 am that day this year for the Super Bowl with a fixed price ticket for food and drinks. Asked the staff, what was the price of the ticket going to be, and the girl said her boss hadn't informed the staff yet -- even though they're advertising the ticket/event on their bulletin board inside... Hmmm......

I remember from last year, others saying they had a good/better experience with other places that instead carried the Malaysian (or other country) satellite TV feed, which came with English language commentary. But not sure what places have the non-True UBC feeds available this year.

Personally, I'm going to run a 'stream' from the US. If the quality is good enough, I'll stay with it for the entire game. If my picture quality is poor, I'll just use the stream to get the "Super Bowl ads", and the halftime show, which probably will also not be shown by TrueV.

In past years and I would think again this year, it will be shown on Thai TV as well. It has always been the same feed that UBC gets.

In its most basic form, the Cardinals beat the Eagles. Oh, the pain.

Calls usually balance themselves out. The Eagles got beat. GO CARDINALS.

They don't show AFC games because they are not considered to be football. The AFC was, and continues to be, glorified arena football. The Eagles-Cardinals game was a good example of American football. Great game.

Quick edit to say that watching the game on replay was great. No commercial breaks, no half-time break, etc. Now if they could just find a way to get rid of the announcers, it would be better. Aikman was calling the strip in the first quarter, the defining moment of the game. In the first quarter! It could have been if the Birds had scored. Wasn't that when Lewis dropped the pass?

Edited by Shotime

• 2 weeks later...
I just went to look at NFL.COM - got a message there saying the website has been blocked!!!. by C.A.T..

No problem for me. Are you a Steelers' fan? I heard that C.A.T. has been asked by the NFL to screen out obnoxious fans! :D

I'm from the Raider Nation - now I understand why it doesn't work................ :D

EVEN WORSE! :o You're lucky that your computer didn't explode! :wai: The curse of ineptitude will remain upon the Raiders as long as Al Davis continues to be in charge! :D

When the old man took my Raiders out of L.A. my passion for the team went with it. :D

Even though I was rooting for the Cards, I have to admit it was a hel_l of an exciting Super Bowl. Congrats to the Steelers and their fans but congrats too to Arizona for one of the best performances in the playoffs by an underdog in years (maybe ever). The Las Vegas odds were against them in every game and they almost ended up winning the whole show. Roethlisberger's TD pass at the end couldn't have been thrown any better. Three defenders right next to the receiver and he hits the one spot they couldn't get to. Wow!

Now comes that boring period between where football ends and baseball hasn't yet started. They play the World Baseball Classic again this year. Maybe somebody will televise some of the games, with all the Japanese fans here in Thailand I think it would draw some interest. As much as I try, I just can't get too excited about soccer, but I guess I'll keep trying.

Right on both counts, Groongthep. It was definitely an exciting game to watch. Two great comebacks from 10 points down by the Cardinals; but, when they needed just one more defensive stand, they couldn't get it done. Very painfully similar to the end of last year's SB. :-(

It had to be most painful for Larry Fitzgerald. They had to be about half way through inscribing his name on the MVP trophy when his defense let Holmes walk up and overwrite it!

I really hate seeing the Steelers win. So many of their fans and players have no class whatsoever. They are both poor losers, and poor winners.

But the fact is that they outplayed the Cardinals when they had to. They earned the win.

No baseball for me. I deserted that game when the players desertec me for the THIRD STRIKE years ago. I just have to dedicate my sports time to following the NFL off-season activity. There are a few more coaching moves to be made; then comes free agency and contract renewals; with the Draft not far behind. The really dead period is the months of May and June. Most of the player movement is done by then, and there's just nothing going on. Hibernation time!

By the way, the Pro Bowl will be broadcast 'live' on TrueV next Monday. Is everybody going to get up to watch it at 0430? :o ... Yeah, that's what I thought. :D

The last time that game was worth watching was wa-a-a-a-y back in the first few years after the AFL-NFL merger. It really did mean something to the players in the two conferences then. Now, the only objective for the players is to have a nice vacation in Hawaii, some fun on the field, and not get hurt.

Being named an All-Pro is still a matter of pride (and $$$) to the players (though the voting for that is really a joke now). But the game itself is waste of time.

By the way, the Pro Bowl will be broadcast 'live' on TrueV next Monday. Is everybody going to get up to watch it at 0430? :o ... Yeah, that's what I thought. :D

The last time that game was worth watching was wa-a-a-a-y back in the first few years after the AFL-NFL merger. It really did mean something to the players in the two conferences then. Now, the only objective for the players is to have a nice vacation in Hawaii, some fun on the field, and not get hurt.

Being named an All-Pro is still a matter of pride (and $$$) to the players (though the voting for that is really a joke now). But the game itself is waste of time.

Although I do hate the time in between football seasons, as this is my favorite sport, I am a baseball fan. I have tried to be a soccer fan and even during one trip to England went to a game, but I just can't get excited over it. I could get excited over Aussie Rules if it was on TV here (it used to be), as that game is about as close to American football as any sport can get.

On the pro bowl, that is what I have a PVR for. I will watch it, but on my own time.

George, did you notice that Truevisions had its own pre-game and half-time shows in Thai language? They also sent one of their guys to the SB for live reports. Hence, Truevisions knows full well that there is a Thai audience for American football.

George, did you notice that Truevisions had its own pre-game and half-time shows in Thai language? They also sent one of their guys to the SB for live reports. Hence, Truevisions knows full well that there is a Thai audience for American football.

I did notice that, OMR, but didn't watch it. I had both my TV and an internet stream on my PC running. I watched the game on the TV, which had a better quality video. I'd turn on the PC sound for those famous Super Bowl commercials, and for half-time. I only watched the "studio analysis" portion of half-time, since I'm not a fan of Bruce Springstein's music. As usual, there were some very amusing commercials. (You can see those, by the way, on NFL.com, if you enjoy that sort of thing.)

The crew doing the Thai commentary are the same guys who've been doing it for the past couple of years. It's strange that TrueV feels there's enough Thai interest in American football to have commentators for it; but won't spend the money to get licenses to broadcast more games. Oh well, I imagine that the commentators are pretty cheap, compared to what the licenses cost. I wish I had some numbers on that.

Let's keep working on them for more NFL games next year. In fact, I've actually suggested that they look into getting NFL Network for one of their "reserved" channels. How would that be? 24-7 coverage of the NFL, all year long!! I also wrote to the NFL about this.

I suggested to them that consider consolidating all game broadcast licenses with year-round NFL Network programming. The NFL Network broadcast could be 24-7, interrupted only for 'live', and 2 foreign "prime time" replay broadcasts of games. That's what I'd call an expat NFL nut's DREAM! And I really believe that the NFL could rake in some serious money with it!

I did notice that, OMR, but didn't watch it. I had both my TV and an internet stream on my PC running. I watched the game on the TV, which had a better quality video. I'd turn on the PC sound for those famous Super Bowl commercials, and for half-time. I only watched the "studio analysis" portion of half-time, since I'm not a fan of Bruce Springstein's music. As usual, there were some very amusing commercials. (You can see those, by the way, on NFL.com, if you enjoy that sort of thing.)

The crew doing the Thai commentary are the same guys who've been doing it for the past couple of years. It's strange that TrueV feels there's enough Thai interest in American football to have commentators for it; but won't spend the money to get licenses to broadcast more games. Oh well, I imagine that the commentators are pretty cheap, compared to what the licenses cost. I wish I had some numbers on that.

Let's keep working on them for more NFL games next year. In fact, I've actually suggested that they look into getting NFL Network for one of their "reserved" channels. How would that be? 24-7 coverage of the NFL, all year long!! I also wrote to the NFL about this.

I suggested to them that consider consolidating all game broadcast licenses with year-round NFL Network programming. The NFL Network broadcast could be 24-7, interrupted only for 'live', and 2 foreign "prime time" replay broadcasts of games. That's what I'd call an expat NFL nut's DREAM! And I really believe that the NFL could rake in some serious money with it!

I don't think there is a market here for the type of coverage they give soccer, but there is a big enough market here for them to pay to telecast more than the two games in the middle of the night during the season as well as ALL playoff games. They could even have their commentators doing the half time show instead of that constant Patriot/Charger replay. Even you must get tired of seeing that replay.

I think you are right in that the key is to start politicking for more games well before the season starts.

I don't think there is a market here for the type of coverage they give soccer, but there is a big enough market here for them to pay to telecast more than the two games in the middle of the night during the season as well as ALL playoff games. They could even have their commentators doing the half time show instead of that constant Patriot/Charger replay. Even you must get tired of seeing that replay.

I think you are right in that the key is to start politicking for more games well before the season starts.

Well, as an alternative, OMR, I definitely believe that they could do VERY well with a single channel, dedicated entirely to American sports. How's that sound? NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, and NASCAR, all on one channel; with sports news shows daily.

They have about 75 active channels on TrueV. Are you telling me that a channel with programming such as I described wouldn't get as many viewers as, say, the bottom 50% or so of those channels? I think it would actually be somewhere in the top 20. I do NOT, however, believe that TrueV has the contacts, or the know-how, to organize such a channel.

Well, as an alternative, OMR, I definitely believe that they could do VERY well with a single channel, dedicated entirely to American sports. How's that sound? NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, and NASCAR, all on one channel; with sports news shows daily.

They have about 75 active channels on TrueV. Are you telling me that a channel with programming such as I described wouldn't get as many viewers as, say, the bottom 50% or so of those channels? I think it would actually be somewhere in the top 20. I do NOT, however, believe that TrueV has the contacts, or the know-how, to organize such a channel.

As I wrote in my PM to you, I think you are exactly correct on the above. By having its own American football analysts, TrueV is admitting that they know there is a market for American football in Thailand. They already know there is a market for professional baseball and basketball, as well as PGA tournaments and tennis tournaments from the US. They probably aren't sure about the NHL or NASCAR (I'm not sure here either), but any interest here would be just gravy because there is enough interest in the other sports.