American Football

ChuckZ

Easy there, rwilem. True Visions doesn't select the games to be broadcast here. They always broadcast the "national" games that are broadcast on (US) Sunday afternoons by CBS and FOX. Those schedules may be changed by those networks as a result of the standings. But they, too, have limitations. The TV contracts specify that there must be some minimum level of exposure for all teams. The networks are allowed to "flex" some games, and, in fact, have done so this week by moving the Jets - Dolphins game from it's original 1:00 PM start to the 4:15 start time.

So hang on for a couple of days, and check the schedules on TrueVisions site again near the end of the week. You may get a pleasant surprise. In fact, don't bet on even that schedule being correct. Sometimes, TrueVisions isn't on top of it enough to pick up the US network changes. Your best bet, if you're an "overnighter" like me, is to just tune in at 1:00 AM next Monday morning, and see what you get. Same with the 4:15 game.

In any case, as I said, don't blame TrueVisions. They have no input at all to what the US networks broadcast nationally; and that is the feed that they get here.

Thanks, patsfang.

A check of the website today shows--and you'll like this--NE at Buffalo for the first game, and Dallas-Philly the second. And yes, the NFL has moved the Den-SD to the SNF slot, which wasn't reflected in the Yahoo sports week 17 sked I was looking at when I wrote them yesterday.

But I have to tell you, as far as which games TRUE gets or what the NFL provides them with, I don't think that is right about us here getting the 'national' broadcasts of the networks. That NE-OAK game few weeks back was certainly was not a 'national' broadcast, and neither was the Buffalo-Denver game this past weekend. (Ian Eagles and Soloman Wilcotts are not your "A" team.)

We do get a fair share of them, no doubt, but there are some so-so matchups aired here. But I do remember a couple seasons back, in week 16 they had an utterly meaningless St. Louis-Oakland game, so I wanted to tell them at least one fan wasn't happy with the schedule that was being promoed on the channel for week 17. (I mean, Seattle-Arizona?)

But it looks OK now, and maybe my input had a little effect? As I say, I just hope they don't screw up the first round of the playoffs. NBC has the first two widlcard games, I think they came through via GOAL TV last year. No GOAL TV this year, so...???

Really, the bottom line is that True doesn't get to pick the games they televise in the middle of the night. Hence, while your letter reflected how most of us feel, it had no impact on the international network True is a part of.

We all are highly disappointed that our sport has been neglected by True. I hate soccer, but at any time during the day or night there are 5-10 soccer games being televised. Even if I loved soccer that would still be overkill. I really wish they would get the message, but I guess that won't change until a Thai politician buys into an American football team and that isn't likely to happen in my lifetime.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really see that "tremendous accuracy" on the run from Romo, OMR. I'll grant you that he's better than most; but no QB can throw as accurately on the run as he will with his feet set. I think you'll find that most of Romo's INT's come when he throws on the run. I still say that he leaves the pocket too quickly, and that means he's throwing on the run more often than necessary; which reduces the number of throws made with maximum accuracy, from a set position.

Patsfangr, the fact is that most of Romo's interceptions actually happen when his feet are set (he throws high). Watch him more closely next time. Romo is a wrist passer (which is why strong armed QB's could have played through the pinkie injury, but Romo couldn't). He often completes passes when throwing from either the back foot, on the run or both feet off the ground and all of his passes are short armed (no follow through - not needed).

Actually, Romo's throwing arm is one of the weakest in the NFL, but the Cowboys are usually close to the top in plays over 20 yds. Watch his long passes (usually less than 50 yds in the air) and you won't see a whole lot of air under the ball. He has an extremely quick release (like most wrist passers) and he gets by on is ability to throw accurately on the run, backing up or both feet completely off the ground. At this, he is the best in the NFL. Couple all this with this quickness (he makes his OL look better than they are because he is really tough to sack) and you have one of the most exciting QB's to watch in the NFL. They don't always win (for sure), but they are always fun to watch.

I humbly defer to the dedicated Cowboys fan on that, OMR. You have certainly seen a lot more of Romo than have I. I will, as you suggest, watch more closely next time for those subtelties in his passing game. I fully concur, as I noted before, on his quickness. He does an incredible job of escaping from pass rushes that would almost certainly sack most other QBs. That alone makes him fun to watch, as were Fran Tarkenton and Archie Manning, way back when. But I still think he often leaves the pocket too soon.

Speaking of QB's, are you mellowing a bit on Cassell? For me, I think he has been immensely better than I first thought.

On a completely different subject, as you know I have been saying that our next HC's (Jason Garrett) play calling abilities suck. The article below, while politically correct, pretty much says the same thing. Being the heir apparent (this has to be Phillips last year), you will be happy to know that Jerry Jones will be bringing in another mediocre head coach dooming us to more frustrations next year. I am even beginning to long for the days of Barry Switzer.

Speaking of QB's, are you mellowing a bit on Cassell? For me, I think he has been immensely better than I first thought.

On a completely different subject, as you know I have been saying that our next HC's (Jason Garrett) play calling abilities suck. The article below, while politically correct, pretty much says the same thing. Being the heir apparent (this has to be Phillips last year), you will be happy to know that Jerry Jones will be bringing in another mediocre head coach dooming us to more frustrations next year. I am even beginning to long for the days of Barry Switzer.

I'm much more than "mellowed" on Cassel, OMR. He has done a really wonderful job of listening to his coaches, and improving his game. When he first started (in his case, LITERALLY, FIRST started!), he had zero pocket awareness, and was virtually incapable of ever looking for more than his primary receiver. Both important aspects of his game have come along so quickly that it's mind boggling. He's got ALMOST Brady-like ability to side step in the pocket, while keeping his eyes downfield, and going through his progressions. His confidence has grown tremendously, and his accuracy has improved with it. And, of course, when he does have to run, that's one aspect of his game that's much better than Brady's. He's got pretty good speed, for a QB (not in the Romo area, but decent).

Bottom line is that I'm certain that he'll be starting for somebody next season. There are a few good options out there for him (Detroit? Tampa Bay? KC?); and, based upon his performance over the last half of this season, they'll be willing to pay him more money as a solid starter than the Pats will as a backup.

Funny thing is, I was very high on him when he came out of USC; and stayed in his corner until this pre-season. He got quite a bit of work in the pre-season, and he looked AWFUL! Most Pats fans, including me, were hoping that Belichick would pick up a vet QB as a backup for Brady, because we feared what would happen if Brady went down, and we had to turn to Cassel. We all screaming "I told you so" for the first few games of the season. Well, serve up that big helping of crow. I'm ready to eat all I deserve. Matt Cassel is already a better than average NFL QB; and he's going to get better. Some team will be very lucky to pick him up in the FA market this year.

I think most Pats fan wish him nothing but the best, as long as he gets out of our Division! I know I do. He's helped our team to retain a very respectable image, when we thought we'd be lucky to finish with a handful of wins, with the injury to Brady, and several other starters throughout the season.

Really, the bottom line is that True doesn't get to pick the games they televise in the middle of the night. Hence, while your letter reflected how most of us feel, it had no impact on the international network True is a part of.

We all are highly disappointed that our sport has been neglected by True. I hate soccer, but at any time during the day or night there are 5-10 soccer games being televised. Even if I loved soccer that would still be overkill. I really wish they would get the message, but I guess that won't change until a Thai politician buys into an American football team and that isn't likely to happen in my lifetime.

How much money have you got, OMR? If you can finance a campaign for me, I'll run for PM, and I promise to get the full NFL schedule broadcast 'live' in Thailand! How about if I pledge to work out a contract with the NFL to allow every NFL fan in Thailand to select the games of his choice each week? You gonna finance my campaign, and vote for me? :o

How much money have you got, OMR? If you can finance a campaign for me, I'll run for PM, and I promise to get the full NFL schedule broadcast 'live' in Thailand! How about if I pledge to work out a contract with the NFL to allow every NFL fan in Thailand to select the games of his choice each week? You gonna finance my campaign, and vote for me? :o

I will vote for you, but you have to get the financing elsewhere. Or, if you can find someone to pay you a nickel for every soccer game televised on True, you will have all the money you need in one week.

The bottom line, and I think you already know this, the amount of NFL being televised in Thailand drops every year. It wasn't all that long ago when even Thai channel 3 had one game a week as well. Now, it is the worst coverage of the NFL on record, but it is the best that I can remember for college football. I think the people at True think all American football is the same and it doesn't matter as long as we get our healthy dose. Of course, it does matter.

I will vote for you, but you have to get the financing elsewhere. Or, if you can find someone to pay you a nickel for every soccer game televised on True, you will have all the money you need in one week.

The bottom line, and I think you already know this, the amount of NFL being televised in Thailand drops every year. It wasn't all that long ago when even Thai channel 3 had one game a week as well. Now, it is the worst coverage of the NFL on record, but it is the best that I can remember for college football. I think the people at True think all American football is the same and it doesn't matter as long as we get our healthy dose. Of course, it does matter.

My bottom line is that I still recommend to any NFL fan outside of the USA who has not run the test on the new software being used by the NFL for their "NFL Game Pass", do so as soon as you can. I signed up this year, and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. There is only occasional "blur" and/or interruption of the signal; not nearly enough of a problem to interfere with full enjoyment of the games.

For anyone not yet familiar with it, it allows you to choose any game of your choice to watch "live"; plus the ability to replay any games, on demand! Those are all pure football, with the commercials edited out, but the complete game included. You also get a couple of the NFL Network programs loaded in for replay on demand. And, of course, you get the full studio "live" broadcast, including those in-game highlights that are frustrating "dead air" on TrueVisions.

The cost, the way I looked at it, is about $14 dollars a week for the full 17-week NFL season. Is that a lot of money for a real NFL fan? I don't think so. It's actually about the same price I paid for "DirecTV Sunday Ticket" back home in California. It is certainly well worth it for me; and I'll be renewing my subscription next season.

If you want to run a full test of it, sign up for the 1-week package for next week. I think it's about $15. Check out the quality of your video; and the replay options. Then you can decide whether you want the Playoffs package they're offering for $60; and/or whether you want to go for it next season. If you do that, the only reason that you need TrueVisions is to watch two games simultaneously; their broadcast on your TV, and another game on your PC. (Yeah, I'm that addicted. I actually do that every week; with sound on only one of them, of course.)

My bottom line is that I still recommend to any NFL fan outside of the USA who has not run the test on the new software being used by the NFL for their "NFL Game Pass", do so as soon as you can. I signed up this year, and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. There is only occasional "blur" and/or interruption of the signal; not nearly enough of a problem to interfere with full enjoyment of the games.

For anyone not yet familiar with it, it allows you to choose any game of your choice to watch "live"; plus the ability to replay any games, on demand! Those are all pure football, with the commercials edited out, but the complete game included. You also get a couple of the NFL Network programs loaded in for replay on demand. And, of course, you get the full studio "live" broadcast, including those in-game highlights that are frustrating "dead air" on TrueVisions.

The cost, the way I looked at it, is about $14 dollars a week for the full 17-week NFL season. Is that a lot of money for a real NFL fan? I don't think so. It's actually about the same price I paid for "DirecTV Sunday Ticket" back home in California. It is certainly well worth it for me; and I'll be renewing my subscription next season.

If you want to run a full test of it, sign up for the 1-week package for next week. I think it's about $15. Check out the quality of your video; and the replay options. Then you can decide whether you want the Playoffs package they're offering for $60; and/or whether you want to go for it next season. If you do that, the only reason that you need TrueVisions is to watch two games simultaneously; their broadcast on your TV, and another game on your PC. (Yeah, I'm that addicted. I actually do that every week; with sound on only one of them, of course.)

Fellas,

Sure, the Field Pass is great, that would be so cool to have, the ideal way to go.

But if you're not on it, or can't watch via the other sites, etc., being able to see some NFL action on TV works.

And back to the original query, just how is it decided which games TRUE gets to air? Someone mention 'international' broadcasts, what the NFL supposedly 'sends'. OK. Well then how is it that Sunday afternoon NFL games that are aired in the Philippines are often a different set than the games aired here?

So why/how does the Philippines get other, and often, better games--and with all the "Let's go to J.B. for a game break" highlights and the halftime shows with Jimmy, Terry, and the rest. The countries are obviously all getting different games, in Eurpe there are several games aired via the NASN channel.

That's the scoop I'd like to know, how that is decided. 'Cause sometimes 'dog' games--sorry, patsgang, NE-Oakland was one--aired this way, and that's a drag, and I think even the NFL would/should do better for boosting their product over here. If they even care about that.

Fellas,

Sure, the Field Pass is great, that would be so cool to have, the ideal way to go.

But if you're not on it, or can't watch via the other sites, etc., being able to see some NFL action on TV works.

And back to the original query, just how is it decided which games TRUE gets to air? Someone mention 'international' broadcasts, what the NFL supposedly 'sends'. OK. Well then how is it that Sunday afternoon NFL games that are aired in the Philippines are often a different set than the games aired here?

So why/how does the Philippines get other, and often, better games--and with all the "Let's go to J.B. for a game break" highlights and the halftime shows with Jimmy, Terry, and the rest. The countries are obviously all getting different games, in Eurpe there are several games aired via the NASN channel.

That's the scoop I'd like to know, how that is decided. 'Cause sometimes 'dog' games--sorry, patsgang, NE-Oakland was one--aired this way, and that's a drag, and I think even the NFL would/should do better for boosting their product over here. If they even care about that.

No offense taken on the "dog game" referrence for the Pats - Raidahs game, rwilem. For everyone other than Pats fans, it was! :-)

I have no idea how all of the international contracts are structured. I wasn't aware that Europe, the Phillipines, and other countries, get different games than we get here in Thailand. I still believe that TrueVisions gets what the NFL gives them, under whatever contract agreement they have. I doubt very much that they (TV) have any influence at all over that.

If someone has evidence that I'm wrong about that, please share it with us. But that's what I believe. I'd be very interested in knowing the specific process myself. In fact, I think I'll send a note to TrueVisions myself, with a more "inquisitive", and less "accusatory" approach. I've had some pretty good response from them in the past. I'll give it a try, in hopes of satisfying the curiosity that many of us have about this.

Fellas,

No offense taken on the "dog game" referrence for the Pats - Raidahs game, rwilem. For everyone other than Pats fans, it was! :-)

I have no idea how all of the international contracts are structured. I wasn't aware that Europe, the Phillipines, and other countries, get different games than we get here in Thailand. I still believe that TrueVisions gets what the NFL gives them, under whatever contract agreement they have. I doubt very much that they (TV) have any influence at all over that.

If someone has evidence that I'm wrong about that, please share it with us. But that's what I believe. I'd be very interested in knowing the specific process myself. In fact, I think I'll send a note to TrueVisions myself, with a more "inquisitive", and less "accusatory" approach. I've had some pretty good response from them in the past. I'll give it a try, in hopes of satisfying the curiosity that many of us have about this.

I have no evidence that you are wrong and in fact, we just saw the NFL (under their flex schedule format) change the time of the Cowboys Eagles game to be the second game with True immediately following suit. This is a very good indication that they subscribe to whatever network provides these games outside of the US.

I don't think the Philippines still has different games. They did last year, but I was under the impression not this year. Of course the armed forces network has its own system, but that is normally relegated to their own personnel.

OK. You succeeded in getting the rise. All in fun.

While a whole lot more was expected from the Cowboys (by me, for one), the Eagles, Giants and Redskins are still tough to beat. At least for now. Injuries to starting QB's have a way of changing a teams fortune quickly and injuries are a big part of this game.

This is true, while everyone knew that Romo was a key factor in the Cowboy's ability to win I think it surpised a lot of people just how big of a factor he was now that he's out. He'll be back in not too long though and provided he stays healthy the Cowboys (as much as I hate to admit it) will probably still remain the odds on favorites to win the NFC title despite the disasters of the last two weeks. I must also begrudgingly admit that the Eagles, Giants and Redskins are indeed tough but I'm still not ready to concede that they are that much better than some other NFC teams that I think will end up being much better than most expected. I believe that the Bears and the Cardinals will end up being much better than anyone gave them credit for. The Buccaneers already look much tougher than most expected as well. In the AFC I look for Tennessee to keep right on winning but for Buffalo's early success to soon fade into mediocrity. I don't think New England can repeat their past success without a healthy Brady and appear to be a team on the way down. The entire AFC west is pretty sorry as is the NFC west with the possible exception of Arizona. All in all I'm thinking there is more parity in the entire league than what most people thought there was before the season started and I beleive that whatever team you may support that this year will be a competitive one with a lot of upsets and surprises. It's gonna be a good year for football. I must, of course, continue to root against your Cowboys every inch of the way. You see, where I grew up there were only 2 kinds of people--Chicago Bears fans and.....Well, I best not use such language for fear of being banned.

I apologize for being absent during most of you guy's commentary during the season. A lot of the reason is that my last post (above) proved to be mostly (with some exceptions) pretty incorrect (I thought Arizona and Chicago would have been much better and New England much worse than they turned out) and I must admit I have been fairly humbled by it. I have been reading this thread fairly regularly though. My post was right on the fact that it has been a good year for football however, with lots of upsets and surprises. Who would have thought before the season that San Diego would be 7-8 going into the final week. I see your Cowboys and Pats are still in it although rather tenuously. My beloved Bears have fallen short of my hopes but are also still in the hunt albeit just barely. They need a win at Houston on Sunday coupled with either a loss by the Vikings against the Giants at the Metrodome or a win in Houston plus losses by both the Cowboys and the Buccaneers (possible but unlikely). I'm also afraid the Giants will be resting some of their starters since they have already clinched home field advantage throughout the playoffs. I myself, have unfortunately been stuck working temporarily here in Houston for the last 3 months but am anxiously awaiting my return to Thailand on January 9th for 3 months (I work for a subsidiary of a large oil company). The only good news about being here in Houston is that I was able to get my hands on a really good ticket for the Bears-Texans game on Sunday. If you're buying a single ticket your odds of finding a good one greatly improve. I am beyond psyched at going, it will be a huge game on a day packed full of huge games. Sitting in front of the TV is pretty convenient but nothing beats being there in person. I've been reading about the problems you guys are having with getting the games over there and the scheduling of the ones you do get. Hope it works out well for you this week. I'll check back with you later.

--Groongthep

P.S. Sorry Old Man River but if the Bears win I got to be rooting for the Eagles

post-23727-1230360753_thumb.jpg

Edited by Groongthep

OK. You succeeded in getting the rise. All in fun.

While a whole lot more was expected from the Cowboys (by me, for one), the Eagles, Giants and Redskins are still tough to beat. At least for now. Injuries to starting QB's have a way of changing a teams fortune quickly and injuries are a big part of this game.

This is true, while everyone knew that Romo was a key factor in the Cowboy's ability to win I think it surpised a lot of people just how big of a factor he was now that he's out. He'll be back in not too long though and provided he stays healthy the Cowboys (as much as I hate to admit it) will probably still remain the odds on favorites to win the NFC title despite the disasters of the last two weeks. I must also begrudgingly admit that the Eagles, Giants and Redskins are indeed tough but I'm still not ready to concede that they are that much better than some other NFC teams that I think will end up being much better than most expected. I believe that the Bears and the Cardinals will end up being much better than anyone gave them credit for. The Buccaneers already look much tougher than most expected as well. In the AFC I look for Tennessee to keep right on winning but for Buffalo's early success to soon fade into mediocrity. I don't think New England can repeat their past success without a healthy Brady and appear to be a team on the way down. The entire AFC west is pretty sorry as is the NFC west with the possible exception of Arizona. All in all I'm thinking there is more parity in the entire league than what most people thought there was before the season started and I beleive that whatever team you may support that this year will be a competitive one with a lot of upsets and surprises. It's gonna be a good year for football. I must, of course, continue to root against your Cowboys every inch of the way. You see, where I grew up there were only 2 kinds of people--Chicago Bears fans and.....Well, I best not use such language for fear of being banned.

I apologize for being absent during most of you guy's commentary during the season. A lot of the reason is that my last post (above) proved to be mostly (with some exceptions) pretty incorrect (I thought Arizona and Chicago would have been much better and New England much worse than they turned out) and I must admit I have been fairly humbled by it. I have been reading this thread fairly regularly though. My post was right on the fact that it has been a good year for football however, with lots of upsets and surprises. Who would have thought before the season that San Diego would be 7-8 going into the final week. I see your Cowboys and Pats are still in it although rather tenuously. My beloved Bears have fallen short of my hopes but are also still in the hunt albeit just barely. They need a win at Houston on Sunday coupled with either a loss by the Vikings against the Giants at the Metrodome or a win in Houston plus losses by both the Cowboys and the Buccaneers (possible but unlikely). I'm also afraid the Giants will be resting some of their starters since they have already clinched home field advantage throughout the playoffs. I myself, have unfortunately been stuck working temporarily here in Houston for the last 3 months but am anxiously awaiting my return to Thailand on January 9th for 3 months (I work for a subsidiary of a large oil company). The only good news about being here in Houston is that I was able to get my hands on a really good ticket for the Bears-Texans game on Sunday. If you're buying a single ticket your odds of finding a good one greatly improve. I am beyond psyched at going, it will be a huge game on a day packed full of huge games. Sitting in front of the TV is pretty convenient but nothing beats being there in person. I've been reading about the problems you guys are having with getting the games over there and the scheduling of the ones you do get. Hope it works out well for you this week. I'll check back with you later.

--Groongthep

P.S. Sorry Old Man River but if the Bears win I got to be rooting for the Eagles

post-23727-1230360753_thumb.jpg

No problem here since the only team in the NFL that can dominate the Cowboys is the Cowboys themselves. So much talent being wasted. Anyway, it is quite possible that the Eagles will have been eliminated before their game with the Cowboys even starts. I hope not as I think that would only piss the Eagles off and they are already good.

The Texans have been tough this year. You are in for a close game. Enjoy and happy holidays.

Congratulations to the Eagles.

This is a game I expected. The Cowboys shouldn't have been in the playoffs this year and showed why today. I have been saying they made a mistake with Jason Garrett for most of the season and the article just written in Dallas below, pretty much sums it up.

Think about it. Garrett is the offensive coordinator. He is Romo's QB coach and he calls the plays. During this fiasco, how many times can anyone remember his actually talking with any of the players? Even at the end you saw Romo surrounded by three coaches as Romo let loose his feelings, but Garrett was nowhere in sight. This is our heir apparent. If Parcels had still been coach, don't you think he would have been involved?

Newman: This wasn't Wade Phillips' fault »

Stars think Cowboys' offensive woes start with Jason Garrett's scheme

7:50 PM Sun, Dec 28, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz

Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

T.O.'s frustration with Jason Garrett's offense is old news that gets rehashed on a weekly basis. But you can't just dismiss T.O.'s concerns because of his history of battling coaches.

Especially since Tony Romo agrees that the league has caught up with a lot of what Garrett calls.

Romo didn't call out Garrett by name after the loss to the Eagles. But the Cowboys' two highest-profile playmakers made it clear that Garrett should shoulder a large share of the blame for the Cowboys' offensive woes.

"They exposed us," Romo said. "It's something that we do fundamentally offensively. So give them credit. Give [Eagles defensive coordinator] Jim Johnson credit."

Romo, who completed 21 of 39 passes for 183 yards and committed three turnovers, specifically pointed to the way the Eagles attacked the Cowboys' pass protection. He said the Eagles were able to get blitzers free while taking away the "hot" receivers by playing tight man coverage.

It's the second consecutive week Romo mentioned that the Cowboys were outschemed, particularly in pass protection. That doesn't shine a favorable light on the job done by Garrett and offensive line coach Hudson Houck, who was a major downgrade from Tony Sparano.

"Scheme is a major, major part of it that the normal fan or writer doesn't understand sometimes," said Romo, who promised that the Cowboys would be better next season. "If you're put in a really good situation, it really allows your team to be successful a lot. That's why I think some games, it's easy to say, 'Well, he didn't play good.' A lot of it is scheme."

There is no arguing that the talent-to-production ratio is way out of whack for the Cowboys' offense.

During a sitdown interview with Deion Sanders on NFL Network, T.O. called out Garrett for not using him properly. T.O. has expanded his complaints recently to include the way that Garrett uses -- or doesn't use -- all the team's weapons.

"I just feel with the weopons on this team, we just need more opportunities," T.O. said today. "We need to be a little more diverse with the capable guys in this lineup.

Whatever the case may be, if those things don't happen, then hey, we just have to stick with what we have.

"But I know there needs to be some changes in regards to getting some guys involved,

putting guys in position to win. It all starts with guys who are calling the plays."

Alas, my beloved Bears lost too, but having been a fan of the team all my life, I am used to it. :o On the bright side, this was the first time I had been to Reliant Stadium and was quite impressed. Great place to watch a game.

I'll be back in Bangkok on the 9th. I know this question has probably been asked a 100 times before but what's the consensus on the best place to watch the play-offs in BKK? I'll be lucky if the hotel I'll be staying in even shows the re-runs.

Edited by Groongthep

anyone going for the nlf playoff gamepass in HD? http://www.nfl.com/gamepass?campaign=YH_GP_playoffs

do you think it will work just like the regular season one?

E-A-G-L-E-S, EAGLES! sorry OMR and to those who didn't get in, but had to gloat. what a day for the eagles; what a swing from last weeks tremendous downer. i can't believe today just happened, first the raiders upset, then houston kneeling it down - and then the smashing of the cowboys . . SIMPLY AMAZING. SUCH A LONG SEASON. WE WERE 5-5-1 AND MCNABB WAS BENCHED. Tampa ws 9-3 and fighting for homefield throughout.

patsfangr, i hope your pats got in at 11-5 . . even though i kinda hate them. they deserved to.

My Patriots also came up short of the Playoffs. Only the second team since the merger to do so with an 11 win season.

But they went out with an impressive win, in incredibly challenging conditions. They take home with them this off-season the pride and appreciation of every Patriots fan I know. The players they lost to injury could dam near form an All Pro team; or, at least, the solid core of one.

Nobody, including me, gave them a chance to be in the running for a Playoff spot. Most of us believed they'd fail to achieve a .500 record. Matt Cassel's improvement throughout the season was magical to watch. The decimated defense scratched and clawed, and did just enough to let that constantly improving, Cassel led offense win 11 games, while losing only 5.

So, while I am certainly disappointed to see our season end in December, I leave this season as proud of this Patriots team as I have ever been of any team in their 49 year history. There are deficiencies to address in the off-season, with the secondary being the greatest of those. But I'm confident that Belichick and Pioli will find a way to do that.

I fully expect to see the Patriots back among the top teams in the league next season. I hope to be here, cheering loudly and proudly, to see them make a serious run for their 4th Lombardi Trophy.

Hopefully, TrueVisions will carry all of the Playoff games, as they did last season. If so, I won't be pulling any more overnighters to watch them, as I have the regular season games this year. I'll wait for the replays. I'd still like to see every Playoff game; but, in all honesty, I'm not willing to make the sleep sacrifices necessary to see them 'live', now that the season is over for my Patriots.

I certainly won't spring the $60 for the NFL Game Pass Playoff Package. Again, not worth it to me to watch "other teams" go for the trophy.

Personally I would rather watch a replay any day than have to sit through the interminable commercials of live.

Not to mention middle of the night.

TV ruined football.

How could we attract foreigners to be fans of our sport?

More boring than a cricket match that stops for lunch.

Pats Bills Q2 right now.

You might as well cheer for my Panthers. If you don't, Steve Smith might break your face. :o

As I've said before, Michael, I developed great respect for Panthers fans, and their sportsmanship, when I spent SB 38 weekend in the streets of Houston among them. Cool dudes, before and after the game. So I will, indeed, be hoping that good things happen for the Panthers in the Playoffs.

In the AFC, I'll actually be having similar hopes for the Dolphins. The objective NFL fan in me has to respect what that team, and Pennington, in particular, has done this season. The team was 1-15 last season; and Pennington was a much maligned castoff from the choking Jets. With a rookie Head Coach at the helm, they ran up an 11-5 record, and won the AFC East. Congratulations and respect are definitely in order for the Dolphins!

So give me an extremely unlikely Panthers - Dolphins Super Bowl matchup, and I'll be very happy. That's what my heart says.

My head says that, unfortunately, "THE COLTS ARE BACK!" Manning's injury after affects are far behind him; and they may be a very serious threat against the Titans and Steelers. Pretty much the same can be said for the Chargers. If Tomlinson is healthy enough, they are also a serious threat. The game between these two next week may well be the one that decides the AFC Championship!

In the NFC, I have a bit of a soft spot, and lots of admiration, for the Falcons. I am, after all, a native of Boston; so the Matt Ryan (Boston College) story does get to me. They'd be right behind the Panthers as my "heart" pick. But I don't see any team in this group that's as well rounded as the Giants. It's going to be tough to keep them from going back to the Super Bowl again this year.

Come February, I see the Colts and Giants fighting for the Lombardi Trophy. Yup, the Manning brothers, head-to-head. And let me say that I really hope I'm wrong. They make me SICK! But that's what my head tells me.

What does everybody else hope for, and/or predict?

anyone going for the nlf playoff gamepass in HD? http://www.nfl.com/gamepass?campaign=YH_GP_playoffs

do you think it will work just like the regular season one?

E-A-G-L-E-S, EAGLES! sorry OMR and to those who didn't get in, but had to gloat. what a day for the eagles; what a swing from last weeks tremendous downer. i can't believe today just happened, first the raiders upset, then houston kneeling it down - and then the smashing of the cowboys . . SIMPLY AMAZING. SUCH A LONG SEASON. WE WERE 5-5-1 AND MCNABB WAS BENCHED. Tampa ws 9-3 and fighting for homefield throughout.

patsfangr, i hope your pats got in at 11-5 . . even though i kinda hate them. they deserved to.

I knew you would post. We haven't heard from you in quite awhile, but then I understood why.

Romo had a rough day. He played with a back injury and then collapsed in the shower after the game due to a rib injury. He also, and a lot more telling, said they were out coached (he was talking about Jason Garrett).

Specifically, he said opponents have figured out their blocking schemes and could completely blanket their receivers and that the Cowboys have had nothing new to come back with. For Romo, who didn't come from big programs at the high school and college levels and has sat on the bench for most of his career, he greatly relies on the offensive coordinator's game plan.

It is no wonder Romo and Witten were drawing up plays by themselves. The defense is another issue, but the 5 turnovers and lack of production from the offense (field position) was the key to the Eagles win today (OK, I give the Eagles some credit, but do so grudgingly).

Patsfangr, everyone who knows anything about American football knows a system that keeps a team that wins 11 out of 16 games from getting into the playoffs is flawed and should be changed. The Pats accomplished way too much this year to be kept out of the playoffs. At least I can say my Cowboys sucked this year, but in your case it should never happen.

BTW, I won't be surprised if Cassell is still with the Pats next year. I don't know the status of his contract, but if he is allowed to go to free agency expect the Jets to make a serious effort to get him.

Lastly, for the SB I think it will be the Giants again this year. I have already picked the Steelers, but I really don't know as there are so many good teams in the AFC to choose from.

Come February, I see the Colts and Giants fighting for the Lombardi Trophy. Yup, the Manning brothers, head-to-head. And let me say that I really hope I'm wrong. They make me SICK! But that's what my head tells me.

I agree with you 100% on the Manning brothers (and their old man too) patsfangr. I guess advertisers and the sports commentators must think that somebody likes them but I'm certainly not one of them and most people I know feel the same way. What's with Al Michaels and John Madden always flashing the cameras up to Mommy and Daddy Manning's luxury sky box during the game like they're some kind of royalty. <deleted> 'em. Give me the typical blue collar fan any day.

I would hate to see a Colts - Giants match up as much as you but I imagine the odds makers will probably like the chances of it happening. If I had my choice I'd love to see a Vikings - Steelers Super Bowl (two classic teams) but my better judgment tells me the Vikings won't make it past the 1st or 2nd round. Steelers have a chance though.

I agree with you 100% on the Manning brothers (and their old man too) patsfangr. I guess advertisers and the sports commentators must think that somebody likes them but I'm certainly not one of them and most people I know feel the same way. What's with Al Michaels and John Madden always flashing the cameras up to Mommy and Daddy Manning's luxury sky box during the game like they're some kind of royalty. <deleted> 'em. Give me the typical blue collar fan any day.

I would hate to see a Colts - Giants match up as much as you but I imagine the odds makers will probably like the chances of it happening. If I had my choice I'd love to see a Vikings - Steelers Super Bowl (two classic teams) but my better judgment tells me the Vikings won't make it past the 1st or 2nd round. Steelers have a chance though.

I'll add one other scenario. How about the "Most entertaining Super Bowl matchup"?

How would you like to see the Chargers vs. the Cardinals? Again, a very unlikely happening. But that could be some offensive show! :o

At the other end of the spectrum, a Ravens - Panthers matchup could put everybody to sleep!

I'll add one other scenario. How about the "Most entertaining Super Bowl matchup"?

How would you like to see the Chargers vs. the Cardinals? Again, a very unlikely happening. But that could be some offensive show! :o

At the other end of the spectrum, a Ravens - Panthers matchup could put everybody to sleep!

What I don't want to see is another screw up by the officials leading to one team (or both) getting into the SB. This year the officiating has been horrendous.

Hopefully, TrueVisions will carry all of the Playoff games, as they did last season. If so, I won't be pulling any more overnighters to watch them, as I have the regular season games this year. I'll wait for the replays. I'd still like to see every Playoff game; but, in all honesty, I'm not willing to make the sleep sacrifices necessary to see them 'live', now that the season is over for my Patriots.

I certainly won't spring the $60 for the NFL Game Pass Playoff Package. Again, not worth it to me to watch "other teams" go for the trophy.

Guys, hope you will start sending TRUE VISIONS notices of our desire to see all the playoiff games.

A check of the website schedule today already shows the Sunday U.S.time games, Baltimore-Miami and Philly-Minnesota, on TRUE SPORT 4, at the usual 1:00 AM and 4:15 AM times, and the Monday evening replay times. (Agree with you, patsfansgr, the replays are a great way to watch.) (Although they screwed it up last night, airing the Dallas-Philly game at 6:30, then the earlier-played Pats-Bill at 9:30...go figure.)

BUT the Saturday games, Atlanta-Arizona and Indy-San Diego ARE NOT on the TV schedule at all, not on TRUE SPORT 4 or any of the other TRUE SPORT channels. (They've got some of the 30-minute 'NFL Game Day' broadcasts--highlights of this just-concluded weekend's games--running when there are actual playoff games happeneng!)

Speak up, put them on notice that we want to see all the playoff games.

http://www.truevisionstv.com/contactus/eng/contactus.aspx

That will be a drag if they screw up the playoffs.

Guys, hope you will start sending TRUE VISIONS notices of our desire to see all the playoiff games.

Speak up, put them on notice that we want to see all the playoff games.

http://www.truevisionstv.com/contactus/eng/contactus.aspx

That will be a drag if they screw up the playoffs.

Here's a copy of my effort, guys. I hope you will all join the effort. We HAVE had success in the past by showing strong interest. Remember the addition of the "GOAL TV" package for the ESPN games last season? It didn't happen this year. I have no idea why. But it's worth a shot to get all the Playoff Games, isn't it? You can just do a 'copy and paste' of my note, if you wish, and preceed it with a personal note expressing your strong support for my request. And don't forget to include your TrueVisions Subscriber Number after your name! Please, let's give it a maximum effort, OK? ... Here's my note to them:

Hello!

I am writing to ask if Truevisions will be broadcasting ALL of the Playoff Games for the USA's National Football League. The current schedule shown on your website ( http://www.truevisionstv.com/Search/eng/SearchResult.aspx?Type=1&Package=8&World=3&Channel=0&FromDateTime=2009/01/04%2000:00&toDateTime=2009/01/07%2000:00&Keyword=nfl) shows ONLY the two games that will be played on Sunday in the USA (Baltimore at Miami at 0100; and Philadelphia at Minnesota at 0415).

Are you aware that there are two games to be played on Saturday, in the USA (Sunday morning here in Thailand)? Those are Atlanta at Arizona at 0430 Sunday (here); and Indianapolis at San Diego at 0800. These, too, are Playoff Games, and are equally as important to NFL fans as are the two games you show on your schedule.

I hope that this was just a posting error, and that you will, as in the past, broadcast ALL of the NFL Playoff Games. After all, TrueVisions broadcasts soccer games 24 hours a day, on several channels. I think it is not too much to ask that you provide your fans of American football with complete coverage of the Playoff Games for the next few weeks. Don't you agree?

The following week, the same situation will be in place. There will be two games played on Saturday, January 10 (USA); and two more on Sunday, January 11. Thailand times for those games will be 0430 and 0815 on Sunday, January 11; and 0100 and 0430 on Monday, January 12.

The "Conference Championship Games" will be played the following week, on Sunday, January 19 (USA). The times for those games here in Thailand will be at 0300 and 0630 Monday morning, January 19.

Finally, the Super Bowl will be played on Sunday, February 1 (USA). That will be on Monday morning, February 2, here in Thailand.

I know that you have a lot of fans of NFL football here in Thailand. I hope that you will be able to give us live broadcasts of ALL of these NFL Playoff games, as you have done for the last few years. I will be anxiously awaiting your confirmation of plans to do so.

Thank you for your attention!

George

Subscriber Number xxxxxxxxxx

anyone going for the nlf playoff

Romo had a rough day........

and always will when the pressure is on.

The guy comes from a small time college program where he also would choke in pressure situations, and gets tunnel vision when under the gun.

Cowboys need to draft or trade for a bigtime QB.

GO BOLTS ! GO EAGLES ! (Bolts because my Faders are out, Eagles because I'm holding an 8-1 Vegas ticket for them to be NFC Champs)

The guy comes from a small time college program where he also would choke in pressure situations, and gets tunnel vision when under the gun.

2+ years starting for the Dallas Cowboys makes him more "bigtime" than any college QB could ever dream of being not to mention most of the pros.

2+ years starting for the Dallas Cowboys makes him more "bigtime" than any college QB could ever dream of being not to mention most of the pros.

I fully agree.

There is no question that the Cowboys will stick with Romo. This isn't a player problem. It is a coaching problem.

It was just a few years ago that the Cowboys had Bill Parcels, Tony Sparano and Sean Payton. Now they have Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett. Phillips says he will change, but of course he can't and Garrett says he is still learning, but of course he should already know. This is a coaching problem, both in team technique and team attitude. Jerry Jones needs to step up and get some "bigtime" coaching before this team plays "bigtime."

GO BOLTS ! GO EAGLES ! (Bolts because my Faders are out, Eagles because I'm holding an 8-1 Vegas ticket for them to be NFC Champs)

So what is your opinion of Jamarcus? So you don't think this is a comeback on your Romo comment, I like Russell and think that he will do fine with some experience. For a lot of these guys, despite major talent, self confidence only comes with playing experience at the NFL level.

BTW, if your comment on Romo choking at the college level were true, Payton wouldn't have gone after Romo before he went after Brees.

Edited by Old Man River