American Football

ChuckZ

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Khun Patsfangr,

The licensing arrangement in Thailand (and maybe in southeast asia region) of the NFL playoff did packaged by Conference but it's effective on the divional rounds and the conference championships.

For the Wild Card Playoff, ESPN package have saturday games and True Package have sunday games. It's been this way since 1999 (the first year that True Visions bought NFL license).

I believe that the Broadcast licenses outside the U.S. is not related to any U.S. network, it's solely belong to the NFL as well as the Superbowl. (that's why last year superbowl broadcast and commentator on True Vision is from the NFL Network not FOX which sucured superbowl license in the U.S.)

This still doesn't all make sense, Chris. If the licensing is by Conference, then we should get ONE game on Saturday, and ONE on Sunday next week (Divisional Round), right? Both games should be from the same Conference. And, on January 18, we would get only ONE of the Conference Championship games (from the same Conference as what we get on Saturday and Sunday next week). That's how it should work out, if your description of the licensing is correct.

Let's see what we get. Then we can talk again.

In any case, it seems a very weird structure that completely ignores the realities of NFL Playoffs. I have trouble understanding how the NFL could put together packages like that, if, as you say, they control the licensing setup. Sad.

Patsfangr, Chris' comments make sense. If correct, and I think he is, then the responses we received from Truevisions that they will be televising the upcoming NFC playoff games only would be correct.

What I am confused by is that, at present, Truevisions is not showing on their printed or web schedules that they will be televising any NFL playoff games this weekend. I have written them to clarify this. If it is only the NFC playoff games, then we would get Saturday's Ariz. vs. Carolina (Fox) that would be televised here on Sunday starting at 8:15 AM and Sunday's Phil. vs. Giants (Fox) that would be televised here on Monday starting at 1AM.

Since we were both told that some other company has won the rights to televise the AFC playoff games, and we are in Thailand communicating with a Thai company about games to be televised in Thailand, I can only assume that some other company has the rights to televise these games in Thailand. It would be interesting to know which company (they may have Pay Per View similar to Truevisions).

One more time, guys. This "AFC / NFC" licensing statement does NOT reflect what ACTUALLY HAPPENED this past weekend! TrueV televised two games on Monday morning. Those games were: an AFC Wildcard Game (BAL @ MIA), and an NFC Wildcard Game (PHI @ MIN). One game from each of the two Conferences!

But, according to Chris, the "Conference license" will only be in affect for the NEXT two weeks. That is equally difficult to understand. Why would there be separate licensing agreements for last weekend, as Chris stated. He said that ESPN had the Saturday license, and TrueV had the Sunday license. Why would it be different for last weekend vs. next weekend????? If the NFL controls the licensing agreements, such a switch from one week the next seems very unlikely to me. That is hardly the "American way" of doing such things.

As I said, we'll see what develops. But I personally still believe that it's a US TV NETWORK issue; and will believe that until and unless the actual broadcasts prove differently. I think TrueV has a license (from whatever source) to broadcast games from CBS and FOX; and does not have one for games broadcast on NBC or ESPN. That seems to me to be much more in line with American business practices, and matches EXACTLY with the games we got on TrueV during the Regular Season, and the Wildcard games we got last weekend.

Patsfangr, it looks like the Pats are going to put the franchise tag on Cassel.

Yup, I saw that, OMR. There are two possibilities on that, both of which make sense for the Patriots.

First, it could be (and has been speculated by one media source) that the Patriots have good reason to believe that Brady's rehab is not going well, and could require additional surgery that would keep him out for all of 2009. If true, since Cassel clearly demonstrated that he can successfully run the offense, the Pats would want to keep him for next year, even at the cost of the very large cap hit (about $14.5 million, they say).

The other possibility (and the one I HOPE is true) is that the Pats want to ensure that they get a nice return for Cassel in a trade with a team that needs a proven QB. There are several of those out there, as we all know. With the F-tag on him, Cassel would cost a team claiming him via that tag TWO Round 1 Draft picks. A team could work out a "sign and trade" deal with the Pats to get Cassel at a lower cost - perhaps a R2 and a (present or future) R3 pick, for example.

We won't really know which of those is true until we see where Cassel ends up. If he's traded, then we'll know that the Pats are confident that Brady is on track for return next year. If he stays with the Pats, then we can be fairly certain that Brady is, indeed, facing more time off the field.

By the way, guys, my name is George. ' Patsfangr' is part of my email address. I'd rather be addressed by name, than by address. :-)

I hope you guys will feel the same way. I'd rather call you by your real name, than by a website "handle". That's especially true for you "regulars" on this thread. You know who you are! :-)

After all, if we were sitting in a sportsbar, talking about the NFL, I don't think we'd be addressing each other by the names of the streets we live on, would we? "Hey, 7th Avenue, how'd you like the game?" "Great game, Main Street. I wonder how West Broadway Road liked it?" "Let's ask him when he comes out of the John!" :-)

Dear Khun Patsfangr,

The licensing arrangement in Thailand (and maybe in southeast asia region) of the NFL playoff did packaged by Conference but it's effective on the divional rounds and the conference championships.

For the Wild Card Playoff, ESPN package have saturday games and True Package have sunday games. It's been this way since 1999 (the first year that True Visions bought NFL license).

I believe that the Broadcast licenses outside the U.S. is not related to any U.S. network, it's solely belong to the NFL as well as the Superbowl. (that's why last year superbowl broadcast and commentator on True Vision is from the NFL Network not FOX which sucured superbowl license in the U.S.)

This still doesn't all make sense, Chris. If the licensing is by Conference, then we should get ONE game on Saturday, and ONE on Sunday next week (Divisional Round), right? Both games should be from the same Conference. And, on January 18, we would get only ONE of the Conference Championship games (from the same Conference as what we get on Saturday and Sunday next week). That's how it should work out, if your description of the licensing is correct.

In any case, it seems a very weird structure that completely ignores the realities of NFL Playoffs. I have trouble understanding how the NFL could put together packages like that, if, as you say, they control the licensing setup. Sad.

Patsfangr, Chris' comments make sense. If correct, and I think he is, then the responses we received from Truevisions that they will be televising the upcoming NFC playoff games only would be correct.

What I am confused by is that, at present, Truevisions is not showing on their printed or web schedules that they will be televising any NFL playoff games this weekend. I have written them to clarify this. If it is only the NFC playoff games, then we would get Saturday's Ariz. vs. Carolina (Fox) that would be televised here on Sunday starting at 8:15 AM and Sunday's Phil. vs. Giants (Fox) that would be televised here on Monday starting at 1AM.

Since we were both told that some other company has won the rights to televise the AFC playoff games, and we are in Thailand communicating with a Thai company about games to be televised in Thailand, I can only assume that some other company has the rights to televise these games in Thailand. It would be interesting to know which company (they may have Pay Per View similar to Truevisions).

One more time, guys. This "AFC / NFC" licensing statement does NOT reflect what ACTUALLY HAPPENED this past weekend! TrueV televised two games on Monday morning. Those games were: an AFC Wildcard Game (BAL @ MIA), and an NFC Wildcard Game (PHI @ MIN). One game from each of the two Conferences!

But, according to Chris, the "Conference license" will only be in affect for the NEXT two weeks. That is equally difficult to understand. Why would there be separate licensing agreements for last weekend, as Chris stated. He said that ESPN had the Saturday license, and TrueV had the Sunday license. Why would it be different for last weekend vs. next weekend????? If the NFL controls the licensing agreements, such a switch from one week the next seems very unlikely to me. That is hardly the "American way" of doing such things.

As I said, we'll see what develops. But I personally still believe that it's a US TV NETWORK issue; and will believe that until and unless the actual broadcasts prove differently. I think TrueV has a license (from whatever source) to broadcast games from CBS and FOX; and does not have one for games broadcast on NBC or ESPN. That seems to me to be much more in line with American business practices, and matches EXACTLY with the games we got on TrueV during the Regular Season, and the Wildcard games we got last weekend.

George, Chris is correct. I'vee been an observer of the NFL broadcast scene here for years. But I was not here for last season's playoffs, and last season was the first year for the ESPNStarsports oufit, based in Singapore, to not air the Sunday and Monday Night Football games here. So some kind of TRUE and 'Goal TV' tie-up bailed out viewers for the latter half of the season, and it must have been the same tie-up that brought you the Saturday Wild Card games last year.

Because that's how it had worked in the past here. The Saturday playoff games were aired (and sometimes delayed and then butchered) by ESPN, and then the next day UBC/True did the Sunday games. Then for the next two rounds, ESPN aired the AFC games (and in earlier times they even had in-studio announcers at their Bristol headquarters providing lame audio commentary--Mark Brown and that ilk--to accompany the video feed from FOX/CBS...it was horrible!!) and UBC had the NFC games ( a relief the hear the actual on-site, professional network announcers we're familiar with, instead of the clowns at Bristol.)

For many years now, the Super Bowl as seen outside America has been a seperate, 'international-version' production. Last years' was the first, or maybe the second, for it to be strongly ID'ed as an NFL Network production. In years past, the commentary was quite 'dumbed-down', as if the announcers were reminded that they had the 'teach' the game of football, turning the Super Bowl into 'football 101', in addition to describing the action.

My question is, who in the heck has 'the rights' to the AFC games? Whoever has them is 'holding out'??? ESPN over here has the rights? That I can't quite fathom, when they are not going to be airing any games.

TRUE doesn't want to pay for the rights, I understand that. But it doesn't do the NFL any good to have a rightsholder who's not going to air the games!

Chris is also right, the former UBC, now TRUE, was able to get the concession from the government to operate only under the condition that it not sell commercial time. Go figure! They get revenue only from fees paid by subcribers. How very strange, to be in the broadcast business, and not be allowed to sell spots. In the past, they even had to block CMs coming on during breaks from the outside stations (CNN, BBC, etc.) they carry. Perhaps you've seen the 'sorry for the interruption, will resume shortly' board? But now they can, it seems, let those pass through. But none of the domestic TRUE stations have CMs.

And on the TV rights for NFL football, it is the NFL that controls all international TV rights. There may have been a clause for NBC to allow it to air Sunday night games delayed by a week or so on CNBC overseas outlets during last season, but they paid the NFL for that. And that didn't happen again this year, I believe. That is a condition the networks comply with. The NFL holds the rights, sells them to overseas broadcasters and probably provides CBS, FOX and NBC some kind of stipend for production services to get the games satellite-linked to broadcasters in various countries/regions.

I'm tired of this BS...I jsut wanna see some PLAYOFF FOOTBALL!

OH, and what'd I tell you about those Sunday games? Ravens and Eagles, movin' on!

Man, I wish I could see 'em all this weekend....

Edited by rwilem

Dear Khun Patsfangr,

George, Chris is correct. I'vee been an observer of the NFL broadcast scene here for years. But I was not here for last season's playoffs, and last season was the first year for the ESPNStarsports oufit, based in Singapore, to not air the Sunday and Monday Night Football games here. So some kind of TRUE and 'Goal TV' tie-up bailed out viewers for the latter half of the season, and it must have been the same tie-up that brought you the Saturday Wild Card games last year.

Because that's how it had worked in the past here. The Saturday playoff games were aired (and sometimes delayed and then butchered) by ESPN, and then the next day UBC/True did the Sunday games. Then for the next two rounds, ESPN aired the AFC games (and in earlier times they even had in-studio announcers at their Bristol headquarters providing lame audio commentary--Mark Brown and that ilk--to accompany the video feed from FOX/CBS...it was horrible!!) and UBC had the NFC games ( a relief the hear the actual on-site, professional network announcers we're familiar with, instead of the clowns at Bristol.)

For many years now, the Super Bowl as seen outside America has been a seperate, 'international-version' production. Last years' was the first, or maybe the second, for it to be strongly ID'ed as an NFL Network production. In years past, the commentary was quite 'dumbed-down', as if the announcers were reminded that they had the 'teach' the game of football, turning the Super Bowl into 'football 101', in addition to describing the action.

My question is, who in the heck has 'the rights' to the AFC games? Whoever has them is 'holding out'??? ESPN over here has the rights? That I can't quite fathom, when they are not going to be airing any games.

TRUE doesn't want to pay for the rights, I understand that. But it doesn't do the NFL any good to have a rightsholder who's not going to air the games!

Chris is also right, the former UBC, now TRUE, was able to get the concession from the government to operate only under the condition that it not sell commercial time. Go figure! They get revenue only from fees paid by subcribers. How very strange, to be in the broadcast business, and not be allowed to sell spots. In the past, they even had to block CMs coming on during breaks from the outside stations (CNN, BBC, etc.) they carry. Perhaps you've seen the 'sorry for the interruption, will resume shortly' board? But now they can, it seems, let those pass through. But none of the domestic TRUE stations have CMs.

And on the TV rights for NFL football, it is the NFL that controls all international TV rights. There may have been a clause for NBC to allow it to air Sunday night games delayed by a week or so on CNBC overseas outlets during last season, but they paid the NFL for that. And that didn't happen again this year, I believe. That is a condition the networks comply with. The NFL holds the rights, sells them to overseas broadcasters and probably provides CBS, FOX and NBC some kind of stipend for production services to get the games satellite-linked to broadcasters in various countries/regions.

I'm tired of this BS...I jsut wanna see some PLAYOFF FOOTBALL!

OH, and what'd I tell you about those Sunday games? Ravens and Eagles, movin' on!

Man, I wish I could see 'em all this weekend....

Well, that is the most incredible, uncoordinated, illogical, bunch of "business decisions" that involve American businesses that I've ever seen! (Well, outside of sub-prime mortgages and auto makers, that is!)

The NFL has been making a conscious effort, over the past few years, to become an international sport. How the he_ll can they leave this spaghetti bowl of licensing arragements like this, and expect to be successful outside of the USA? Over the years since Pete Rozelle took over, the NFL has been an incredibly successful enterprise. This situation is completely contrary to that record!

If they own all of the rights, how can they allow this to go on?

OK, I guess I'll have to treat this like the Thai "traffic control" situation, and just accept the fact that it sucks, and move on.

I'm happy that, at least, the NFL has done it right with "NFL Game Pass". I'll happily pay my $14 per week again next year to see whatever games I want to see, whenever I want to see them; and let this 'licensing agreement' bullsheet play out to whatever it plays out to! GOOD GRIEF!

7:40 PM now, and the TrueV site search still shows NO NFL games for next weekend. So, it still looks like it will be the low quality 'streaming' source for all 4 games. I hope my C.A.T. connection stays solid during those wee hours of the morning!

Gotta go grab a beer, take a deep breath, a deep drink, and chill out!

On advertising, about two or three years ago the law changed. I had expected that we would get overwhelmed with advertising, but then something must have changed afterwards (as governments change) and we only get some advertising on Truevisions. Since it is mostly logos from Thai companies (Singh beer is prominent), I would guess the law is now that logos are acceptable.

George, I can guarantee that we‘ll be able to watch the NFC games this weekend on True. However, it’s the Ravens-Titans game that I want to see the most. :-(

I think the Pats just want to get the highest possible return for Cassel. If Cassel somehow stay with the Pats next season with the F-Tag salary, he’ll have higher salary than Brady’s. Brady’s a saint if he don’t feel anything.

I’ll write E-mail to Thai's NFL commentator to tell him exactly how WE feel and see whether he can help persuade TRUE to pay for the AFC rights next year. If I got any response, I’ll tell you guys.

hey patsfangr,

yeah, i had the regular season gamepass too . . but the playoff one is five times better, such better picture quality, very clear with large screen . . regular season was pretty fuzzy with large screen on my laptop. it was like watching the game back in PA. and it looks like next year we should be able to watch multiple games at a time . . up to four.

GO BIRDS! RIDE THE WAVE INTO THE MEADOWLANDS! NO PLAX!

George, I can guarantee that we'll be able to watch the NFC games this weekend on True. However, it's the Ravens-Titans game that I want to see the most. :-(

I think the Pats just want to get the highest possible return for Cassel. If Cassel somehow stay with the Pats next season with the F-Tag salary, he'll have higher salary than Brady's. Brady's a saint if he don't feel anything.

I'll write E-mail to Thai's NFL commentator to tell him exactly how WE feel and see whether he can help persuade TRUE to pay for the AFC rights next year. If I got any response, I'll tell you guys.

So you're saying that we'll get one game on Sunday morning (would be ARI @ CAR, at 0815); and one on Monday morning (PHI @ NYG at 0100), right? I'll keep checking the TrueV website search to see if it ever gets posted. It is only Tuesday, and they are always slow to post; so it may show up tomorrow or Thursday.

This "NFC ONLY" license should also mean that we'll get only one of the two Conference Championship games on Monday morning, January 18.

It is still beyond me how they ended up with different licensing arrangements for the first week of the Playoffs than they have for the next 2 weeks. What a screwed up way to do business; showing only "one lane" of the two lane "road to the Super Bowl"! Euro soccer fans would burn down the TrueV broadcast building if they did that for one of their seemingly endless string of "Championships"! (Anybody else notice that there seems to be a "league championship" every month or so? The have more "cups" than dam_n coffee shop!) :-)

hey patsfangr,

yeah, i had the regular season gamepass too . . but the playoff one is five times better, such better picture quality, very clear with large screen . . regular season was pretty fuzzy with large screen on my laptop. it was like watching the game back in PA. and it looks like next year we should be able to watch multiple games at a time . . up to four.

Sounds great, qwunk. Although my picture was crystal clear for the Regular Season games I watched. Maybe you were having some problems with your ISP's download speeds.

I hope you're right about the simultaneous multiple games access. I tried that once this year, and, of course, it was not possible.

Anybody else notice that there seems to be a "league championship" every month or so? The have more "cups" than dam_n coffee shop!

I have joked about this with my Brit friends. They cry and moan about their team being edged out of a championship game, and then two weeks later they are right back in the hunt for a different championship. Having said that, it may well be because of this that True has decided to dump professional American football and fully support professional soccer. With soccer, there is always something going on so the people at True know there will be year round interest. With American football being seasonal, True doesn't think about it until that time of the year when it is too late.

George, so far I have had no response from Truevisions on a request I sent yesterday asking for a clarification of upcoming games and which company won the bid to broadcast NFL games in Thailand. Of course, I suspect that no company won the bid to broadcast in Thailand and that Truevisions simply didn't want to pay for it.

This is the problem with the lack of competition.

Anybody else notice that there seems to be a "league championship" every month or so? The have more "cups" than dam_n coffee shop!

I have joked about this with my Brit friends. They cry and moan about their team being edged out of a championship game, and then two weeks later they are right back in the hunt for a different championship. Having said that, it may well be because of this that True has decided to dump professional American football and fully support professional soccer. With soccer, there is always something going on so the people at True know there will be year round interest. With American football being seasonal, True doesn't think about it until that time of the year when it is too late.

Solution! Get a contract with 'NFL Network' to broadcast their 24/7 programming. Interrupt that programming only during the season to broadcast 'live' games, and couple of reruns during prime time. BINGO! Year round interest! :-)

Just joking, of course. There's no way that they'd surrender an entire channel to the relative handful of American NFL addicts here. But wouldn't it be great?!

George, so far I have had no response from Truevisions on a request I sent yesterday asking for a clarification of upcoming games and which company won the bid to broadcast NFL games in Thailand. Of course, I suspect that no company won the bid to broadcast in Thailand and that Truevisions simply didn't want to pay for it.

This is the problem with the lack of competition.

NO, OMR; this is the problem with being a small minority of the customer base. Look at it this way, how disappointed and frustrated would you be to be a Euro soccer fan "trapped" in the USA, with the NFL, NBA, MLB, and even NASCAR, virtually monopolizing pro sports broadcasting? For that matter, how disappointed and frustrated are American NHL fans?!

There just aren't enough of us, OMR. Or, at least, there aren't enough of us who are presenting our interest and requests, in writing, to TrueV. We aren't the "squeeky wheel".

The ultimate frustration of this is that we wouldn't care about it if we all had a high speed download capability. Every sporting event we'd want to watch is available via free streaming sources. But, with our Thailand "DSL" speeds, the quality of those broadcasts is poor, at best. Only the $230 annual subscription to 'NFL Game Pass' can get the NFL coverage we addicts want; and even that isn't complete (no NFL Draft!).

This, along with many other inconveniences, I'm afraid, comes with the choice of living here.

By The way, in case we need something else to rant about regarding the TrueV coverage of American football, how about the fact that they aren't broadcasting the BCS Championship game on Friday morning. They have broadcast many NCAA games throughout the season, including several Bowl Games over the past couple of weeks. But they are apparently NOT broadcasting the BIGGEST GAME OF THE YEAR! Wonderful!

This one, it appears, is all on ESPN; since that's the network that's broadcasting all of the NCAA games. Again, I'm sure that there's a separate, and "expensive", licensing deal for that game. I'll probably try to 'stream' it, and hope the connection holds up.

Since the consensus is that I won't be able to watch the Chargers take on the Steelers, what do people recommend I do for the best quality streaming?

I have been watching the games being uploaded from my Slingbox/Tivo back in San Diego, but while I am paying for 2 mbs, in reality, I bounce up and down from 55 kps to maybe 250 kps, and the constant flux makes the stream halt and skip.  It is almost impossible to watch.

Just joking, of course. There's no way that they'd surrender an entire channel to the relative handful of American NFL addicts here. But wouldn't it be great?!

I spent the New Years holiday in the Philippines, you know they have a dedicated NBA channel there?

By The way, in case we need something else to rant about regarding the TrueV coverage of American football, how about the fact that they aren't broadcasting the BCS Championship game on Friday morning. They have broadcast many NCAA games throughout the season, including several Bowl Games over the past couple of weeks. But they are apparently NOT broadcasting the BIGGEST GAME OF THE YEAR! Wonderful!

This one, it appears, is all on ESPN; since that's the network that's broadcasting all of the NCAA games. Again, I'm sure that there's a separate, and "expensive", licensing deal for that game. I'll probably try to 'stream' it, and hope the connection holds up.

So true, or should I so not True...Because of the holidys my True magazine came yesterday. I ran in the house looking to see if they were showing the NC game at 8AM Friday morning knowing full well they showed the GMAC, ROSE and other lesser bowls...NOPE.......Darn'it anyway.....I'll still enjoy it on the streaming net but sure would love to watch it.....

I spent the New Years holiday in the Philippines, you know they have a dedicated NBA channel there?

Nothing personal, Huggy. To each his own on sports loves. But I've been a "one trick pony" for sports for several years. I grew up as a baseball fan, since I was born many years before the NFL became popular. I was equally rabid for the NFL and MLB from about 1955 until the strikes in MLB started taking the whole league, rather just a single batter, off the field! Their greed pissed me off so much that I totally left MLB.

I never did like basketball. Perhaps that was rooted in my total ineptitude in the game, from childhood on. I like to think it was because there's just too much scoring in the game, leaving all of the emotion to be withheld for the end. (And I'm from Boston; so I grew up during years of the Celtics dynasty. Still, I never got into the sport.)

So the NBA channel in the Philippines doesn't make me the least bit envious. Now, if they had an NFL channel ... :-)

hey patsfangr,

Sounds great, qwunk. Although my picture was crystal clear for the Regular Season games I watched. Maybe you were having some problems with your ISP's download speeds.

I hope you're right about the simultaneous multiple games access. I tried that once this year, and, of course, it was not possible.

yeah, you probably have a faster internet connection in pattaya . . but that means you might get HD next season. mine went from fuzzy to crystal clear, so if you have enough download speed you should get the HD that's offerred now.

hook your computer up to a big screen and live large for the "tom brady comeback season" . . you should be able to make out the fibers in his leg strengthening as the season rolls on :o

I received this today via email from Truevisions:

Kindly be advised the NFL schedule as follows;

NFL DIVISIONAL PLAYOFFS (NFC)

SUN 11 ARIZONA AT. CAROLINA (L) 08.15 TS5

MON 12 PHILADELPHIA AT NY GIANTS (L) 01.00 TS4

Yeah, they now have that, and the replays, showning in the website search. Interesting that they're using True Sport 5 to broadcast the Cards @ Panthers game. First time they've done that, I believe.

Looking at this in the most positive way possible, this will, at least, give me the opportunity to minimize my sleep loss. I can go to be early on both Saturday and Sunday nights; and get up to watch the Chargers - Steelers game on a stream at 4:45, followed by the Cards - Panthers at 8:15 on TrueV.

Then, on Sunday, I COULD have the same schedule to watch the Ravens - Titans game on a 'live' stream; and watch a TrueV replay of the Eagles - Giants game at 12:30 PM. The only danger there is that they'll likely be flashing, and maybe even discussing, the results of the earlier Eagles - Giants game during the 'live' broadcast of the Ravens - Titans game. Seeing the score will take a lot out of my desire to watch the replay. (After all, it's not like it will be a Patriots game!) So, I'll have to make the decision on Sunday night about whether I want to pull an overnighter, or risk missing the "full experience" of watching the Eagles - Giants game, which could be a good one, without knowing the outcome. Such is the dilemma of an NFL fan living on the wrong side of the world! :-)

hey patsfangr,

yeah, you probably have a faster internet connection in pattaya . . but that means you might get HD next season. mine went from fuzzy to crystal clear, so if you have enough download speed you should get the HD that's offerred now.

hook your computer up to a big screen and live large for the "tom brady comeback season" . . you should be able to make out the fibers in his leg strengthening as the season rolls on :o

I do hook up to my big screen for the "primary games", qwunk. Even if the Patriots are on TrueV, I watch them on 'NFL Game Pass', because I then get to see the studio "game breaks" for highlights of other games.

I truly have no idea how the HD thing works. My big screen is "HD capable", but I have no idea what it takes to get a true HD picture to the screen. He_l, I'm not even sure I'd know it if I saw it. I never had HD before I left the US 3 years ago. If it's not "fuzzy", "blurred", "jumpy", or "interrupted", I'm happy! You gotta remember, I go back to playing with the rabbit ears to get rid of the "ghosts" "snow", and "squiggles" on the screen! :-) (Who out there remembers those days?)

I just got my true visions today. How sweet. Of course, the Eagles game has to start at 1. I have to try to see if I can tape it, or stay up and watch it all night combined with a mini-party. Do you think they will repeat the games the following day?

I just got my true visions today. How sweet. Of course, the Eagles game has to start at 1. I have to try to see if I can tape it, or stay up and watch it all night combined with a mini-party. Do you think they will repeat the games the following day?

The schedule shows repeats for both games on Monday. The Eagles - Giants at 1230 and 2130; and the Cards - Panthers at 1830.

Some news of interest, just for OMR.

Texas Judge gives 7 year old right to decide custody.

Dallas, TX, December 31, 2008

A seven year old boy was at the center of a county courtroom drama yesterday when he challenged a court ruling over who should have custody of him. The boy had a history of being beaten by his parents and the judge initially awarded custody to his aunt, in keeping with child custody law and regulation requiring that family unity be maintained to the highest degree possible.

The boy surprised the court when he proclaimed that his aunt beat him more than his parents and he adamantly refused to live with her. When the judge then suggested that he live with his grandparents, the boy cried and said that they also beat him. After considering the remainder of the immediate family and learning that domestic violence was apparently a way of life among them, the judge took the unprecedented step of allowing the boy to propose who should have custody of him.

After two recesses to check legal references and confer with the child welfare officials, the judge granted temporary custody to the Dallas Cowboys, whom the boy firmly believes are not capable of beating anyone.

Happy New Year!

How 'bout them cowboys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't shoot me, OMR. I'm just the messenger! :-)

I am watching the end of the really FANTASTIC BCS Championship game between Oklahoma and Florida!

I will say no more, because, if you don't already know the outcome, you'll want to watch the replay of this game that WILL be carried on TrueV's ESPN channel. Here's the schedule for the replays:

NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME 00015: OKLAHOMA VS. FLORIDA09-Jan-2009 21:30 00015: OKLAHOMA VS. FLORIDA11-Jan-2009 07:30Again, it's been a great game, and well worth watching.

Nothing personal, Huggy.

Hi George,

(BTW-I'm Pablo) no offense taken whatsoever, I was merely referring to the fact that it would be great to have a dedicated American Football channel here, but first we would need to get the Thais as interested in the game as the Filipinos are in NBA basketball.

Maybe we should petition the NFL for an Exhibition game in BKK? After party at Larry's?