American Football

ChuckZ

I'm unretired like Brett Favre. Yay?

OK, because it has been a year and I forget, please give us the list of teams that you will be rooting for this year. I kind of remember Carolina and I think Tampa Bay, but can't remember the others.

I think we did go through this last year; but I'm always ready to repeat myself, when the subject is football! :-)

Other than my Patriots, I root FOR: Carolina (Because the fans had class in Houston at SB 38, and because I think their HC, John Fox, is a pretty classy guy too.); San Diego (Because I lived in So Cal for over 30 years, and saw and enjoyed many of their games.); Kansas City (Added this year, because I wish the best for former Pats personnel guy, Scott Pioli.); Denver (Also added this year, for similar reasons - their new HC, Josh McDaniel, is also a Belichick protege.) Makes it tough with all 3 of those teams in the same Division, playing each other twice!! :-) I also root for Arizona, because I think Warner is a good guy, and it's great to see a perennial doormat give their fans something to cheer about. After waiting 42 years for the Patriots to win a Super Bowl, I KNOW what that's about!! :-)

Finally, I root for any team, on any given week, when they play the Jets, Dolphins, Raidahs, Colts, Steelers, Browns or Cowboys.

So, given all of that, you can see that I have a level of interest in dam_n near every game that's played, every week! :-)

That is enough teams to form a league of their own. I can't do that. I may root for individual players, but never when they are playing against the Cowboys, which is the only team that ever gets my loyalty.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wondering if American football is shown much on TV there? Is it broadcat on regular TV? Cable TV? Avaiable on satelite? I would like to be able to watch it from my apt.

And another question. How expensive is cable tv or a satelite?

Thanks,

Chuck

:D:D:D will muaythai or sepak takraw be available in america on cable,blah,blah...what a joke :):D:D

I'm wondering if American football is shown much on TV there? Is it broadcat on regular TV? Cable TV? Avaiable on satelite? I would like to be able to watch it from my apt.

And another question. How expensive is cable tv or a satelite?

Thanks,

Chuck

:D:D:D will muaythai or sepak takraw be available in america on cable,blah,blah...what a joke :):D:D

That post was from 4 years ago.

We will get 4 NFL games per week during the season and some NCAA football games each week as well. Muaythai is an international sport and can be seen in many countries around the world, not just in Thailand.

Via the TrueVisions Magazine it looks like we are getting NFL games on ASN and Truevisions Channel 64..Which means we get a choice between two games during the morning hours.

It appears, as is usually the case, the NFL broadcasts on TrueV will be on a "wait and see" basis; as the "published" schedules conflict. I just used the 'search' function on the TrueV website. I searched "All Channels" for "NFL" (which is the key word that works, since they list games as "NFL"). It shows NFL games scheduled for broadcast ONLY on ASN. This despite the fact that, as Joes said, the magazine shows "(Live)" games on BOTH True Sport 3 (61) and True Sport 4 (62) at 00:00 on Monday, Sep 21. Those would be early games on Sunday afternoon in the USA. They also show a second game on TS3 at 03:30. That would be a late afternoon game in the USA.

Now that is all in addition to the ASN listing of two games at those same times, 00:00 and 03:00, on that date.

Want some further complication? The same listing shows ASN with replays at 15:00 and 18:00 that same day; AND TS3 with replays at 16:00 and 21:30.

But wait ... there's MORE! :-)

Next Monday, opening weekend for the NFL, the TrueV online schedule for ASN shows FIVE DIFFERENT GAMES to be broadcast! They list live broadcasts of PHI @ CAR; WASH @ NYG; CHI @ GB (with replays of those games later in the day). They also list replays of JAC @ IND (14:00); and SF @ ARI (20:00). In the TrueV magazine, ASN lists the usual 3 live games (00:00 - 06:30, and 07:00 - 10:30. Then they show only "NFL Season 2009-2010" at 11:00, with NO additional listings for the day. Checks out, in terms of time, with what TrueV shows online. (The ASN online schedule, which has been accurate lately, only posts one week at a time, so I can't check that out for the 14th.)

The "possible" good news is that we'll have access to either live or replayed broadcasts of more than 4 games per week, with different games on True Sports channels and ASN. Not to mention replays on ASN of games that they don't broadcast live. (Could those be the games that True Sports is broadcasting live, simultaneous with the ASN live broadcasts?) But, as I said, with conflicting schedules (online vs. magazine), and the terrible history of TrueVisions for schedule inaccuracy ... WHO KNOWS?! :-)

I'm looking forward to checking out what actually happens. The "best case" possibility (for NFL NUTS, like me) is that we'll have access to as many as SIX DIFFERENT GAMES, either live or replays, every week!

By the way, there will be PAC-10 and WAC NCAA games on ESPN (64) at various times, as was the case last year. Some live, some replays. And Big Ten and ACC games on ASN. So there's also plenty of college football.

All things considered, while the specific schedules are a mystery, it looks like there's enough football to give some business to some local divorce lawyers!! :-)

SO, ARE YA READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?!!

Based on the recent posts here it looks as though ASN will have three (3) Sunday games; 1:00 PM, 4:15 PM and SNF at 8:30 PM (after the first weeks' 2 SNF games); all times EDT; the change to EST is Nov 1.

Maybe TrueSport will show another two (2) Sunday games.

Any indications re: MNF? (Tuesdays, 7:30 AM local time in any published schedule)

Via the TrueVisions Magazine it looks like we are getting NFL games on ASN and Truevisions Channel 64..Which means we get a choice between two games during the morning hours.

It appears, as is usually the case, the NFL broadcasts on TrueV will be on a "wait and see" basis; as the "published" schedules conflict. I just used the 'search' function on the TrueV website. I searched "All Channels" for "NFL" (which is the key word that works, since they list games as "NFL"). It shows NFL games scheduled for broadcast ONLY on ASN. This despite the fact that, as Joes said, the magazine shows "(Live)" games on BOTH True Sport 3 (61) and True Sport 4 (62) at 00:00 on Monday, Sep 21. Those would be early games on Sunday afternoon in the USA. They also show a second game on TS3 at 03:30. That would be a late afternoon game in the USA.

Now that is all in addition to the ASN listing of two games at those same times, 00:00 and 03:00, on that date.

Want some further complication? The same listing shows ASN with replays at 15:00 and 18:00 that same day; AND TS3 with replays at 16:00 and 21:30.

But wait ... there's MORE! :-)

Next Monday, opening weekend for the NFL, the TrueV online schedule for ASN shows FIVE DIFFERENT GAMES to be broadcast! They list live broadcasts of PHI @ CAR; WASH @ NYG; CHI @ GB (with replays of those games later in the day). They also list replays of JAC @ IND (14:00); and SF @ ARI (20:00). In the TrueV magazine, ASN lists the usual 3 live games (00:00 - 06:30, and 07:00 - 10:30. Then they show only "NFL Season 2009-2010" at 11:00, with NO additional listings for the day. Checks out, in terms of time, with what TrueV shows online. (The ASN online schedule, which has been accurate lately, only posts one week at a time, so I can't check that out for the 14th.)

The "possible" good news is that we'll have access to either live or replayed broadcasts of more than 4 games per week, with different games on True Sports channels and ASN. Not to mention replays on ASN of games that they don't broadcast live. (Could those be the games that True Sports is broadcasting live, simultaneous with the ASN live broadcasts?) But, as I said, with conflicting schedules (online vs. magazine), and the terrible history of TrueVisions for schedule inaccuracy ... WHO KNOWS?! :-)

I'm looking forward to checking out what actually happens. The "best case" possibility (for NFL NUTS, like me) is that we'll have access to as many as SIX DIFFERENT GAMES, either live or replays, every week!

By the way, there will be PAC-10 and WAC NCAA games on ESPN (64) at various times, as was the case last year. Some live, some replays. And Big Ten and ACC games on ASN. So there's also plenty of college football.

All things considered, while the specific schedules are a mystery, it looks like there's enough football to give some business to some local divorce lawyers!! :-)

SO, ARE YA READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?!!

I am not going to even try to figure out the NFL games as I don't think we will know until game times.

As it relates to NCAA football, according to ASN, they will feature BIG 10, PAC 10, BIG 12, ACC and SEC games, broadcasting 2-4 live games per week. Of course, this all could change, but that is according to their Forum based on questions they have received.

Based on the recent posts here it looks as though ASN will have three (3) Sunday games; 1:00 PM, 4:15 PM and SNF at 8:30 PM (after the first weeks' 2 SNF games); all times EDT; the change to EST is Nov 1.

Any indications re: MNF? (Tuesdays, 7:30 AM local time in any published schedule)

All of the MNF games will be shown 'live' on ASN, every Tuesday morning. They will also be replayed a couple of times each week, as will all 3 of the Sunday games that ASN will broadcast 'live'.

OMR, you remember me well. I can find something to like about every team except Dallas, but I bleed Panther blue.

I lived in Tampa when they were losing in orange, before the existence of the Panthers, and I'd love to see Raheem Morris do well, so there's that. Teams I cheered for before the Panthers and Bucs existed haven't been forgotten.

But I'm from North Carolina, and my home team is a very classy bunch, not to mention leading the league in arrests AND convictions during the Seifert regime, so they own me until they get kicked out of the playoffs again.

Does anybody know how someone who's just too dam_n cheap to spring for True again can watch the NFL this year?

OMR, you remember me well. I can find something to like about every team except Dallas, but I bleed Panther blue.

I lived in Tampa when they were losing in orange, before the existence of the Panthers, and I'd love to see Raheem Morris do well, so there's that. Teams I cheered for before the Panthers and Bucs existed haven't been forgotten.

But I'm from North Carolina, and my home team is a very classy bunch, not to mention leading the league in arrests AND convictions during the Seifert regime, so they own me until they get kicked out of the playoffs again.

Does anybody know how someone who's just too dam_n cheap to spring for True again can watch the NFL this year?

If you have a download speed that consistently stays above about 450 kbps, you can watch FREE on the internet. Now, it's not "broadcast quality"; but it beats no view at all!

If you don't know how to access any of the sites that do this, PM or email me, and I'll head you in the right direction.

A couple of updates....

Here's a free, no span/virus web site that's been showing the NFL Network in a good stream pretty much continuously all day....

Also....on Saturday, I shelled out $40 to buy the season pass for the NFL's new Game Rewind video service. This package basically gives you commercial-free video broadcasts of all 2008 season games, and will do the same for the 2009 season once the regular season starts on about a 24-hour tape delayed basis (but they do not show pre-season games).

The downside is, to purchase this package, you need to have a U.S. based IP address. Otherwise, if you're using a Thailand based IP address, you are required to buy a different NFL video package (Game Pass) that's $240 for the full season, but shows all the games live.

One thing I noticed today: With the Game Rewind video package, you not only need a U.S. IP address in order to access the NFL.com page to sign up for the service, you also need to maintain a U.S. IP address while you are watching the actual games. If you later should move to a Thailand based IP address at some point, the video streaming cuts out after about 5 minutes and times out.

The challenge, therefore, is to access a U.S. IP address that maintains a fast enough download speed to allow the Flash-based video to work properly. While my test of the service prior to purchasing worked fine, once I ran Game Rewind with a U.S. IP address, I had a lot of problems with the video hanging/lagging. But it ran fine with a Thailand address...but then the 5 minute or so timeout problem kicked in...

All of the MNF games will be shown 'live' on ASN, every Tuesday morning. They will also be replayed a couple of times each week, as will all 3 of the Sunday games that ASN will broadcast 'live'.

i see what looks like the first game of the season tenn v pitt on fri at 1900 bkk time (repeat of thurs opener). i could not find it in their magazine - but what else is new, and from the sounds of things looks like online schedules are going to be useless as well.

we should approach true and have them do a broadcast sms to mobiles that subscribe of the games, sending an sms for each game as it comes up - might be the only way to ever get reliable info. Thye do broadcasts for everything else why not this?

Well, as a CHarger fan, I guess I have to change my Gold Package before Tuesday. I hate to give in to their weird system and am tempted to downgrade to SIlver, but I guess I will have to pony up and go to Platinum.

Well, as a CHarger fan, I guess I have to change my Gold Package before Tuesday. I hate to give in to their weird system and am tempted to downgrade to SIlver, but I guess I will have to pony up and go to Platinum.

I suggest that you ask them to explain to you why the Silver plan gets ASN, and the more expensive Gold plan does not. I'd really love to see the explanation for that explained to a Gold subscriber! Please pass it along, if you get one.

just got my silver package yesterday . . tried to get an explanation for not having ASN in the gold package but all i got was some i-don't-know-laughs. also they said i could upgrade anytime, but you have to have your current package six months before you can downgrade . . at least i think that is what they said.

just got my silver package yesterday . . tried to get an explanation for not having ASN in the gold package but all i got was some i-don't-know-laughs. also they said i could upgrade anytime, but you have to have your current package six months before you can downgrade . . at least i think that is what they said.

No reason for you to complain, Q. But I'll tell you this, if I had the Gold package (I've been Platinum for years), I'd demand to get more than a giggle as an answer to why that more expensive package doesn't have an important channel (for Americans) that is available in the Silver package. I would be seriously pissed off, and biting my tongue to avoid a "Thai situation". It pisses me off now, and it's a non-issue for me on a personal level. :-)

I can't believe that I gave in, but I upgraded to Platinum today.

My condo is in the process of selecting a cable television supplier.  I didn't know that was even available, but it will have more channels and be cheaper.  And if I ever decide on a townhome or house, I can get a foreign-based satellite service and say goodbye to True Vision.

Regulars here may recall, I posted here a couple months ago when this first issue arose, about the craziness of True offering their Gold Package without ASN, but it being included in the less expensive Silver package. As I said at the time, I dumped my Gold package and downgraded to Silver. Haven't regretted it.

Saving a couple hundred baht each month that no longer goes to True, even after giving them a bit more to upgrade my DSL Internet service speed. Took the monthly savings, and paid $40 to buy a season's pass for the NFL's Game Rewind streaming video service. So now, I can watch all the televised games on ASN, watch other games live via the Internet, and catch anything and everything else via Game Rewind any time during the remainder of the week. Suddenly, it's getting BUSY!!! :)

PS - One of the few other things I liked about the Gold Package was being able to get CNN, albeit the somewhat crappy International version. For a long time, CNN has offered the streaming audio of their U.S. TV broadcast via their web site. But they only had individual video podcasts of some of their shows, not any live video stream. Lately, I found they had begun doing a live video stream of their U.S. TV broadcast as well...though today...when I checked it, it was down.

Here's the link for live CNN U.S. broadcast audio.

Here's the link for the live video stream I found...for their U.S. TV broadcast... But as I mentioned above, it was down today.... no explanation on the site.

so, does anyone know the definite schedule for ASN on sunday night/monday morning? patsfangr, is the early schedule you posted still a go?

Before I get into the games schedules discussion (again!), I want to alert everybody to what should be a good NFL Network show on ASN tonight. At 6 PM, they will be showing the "NFL Season Preview" show. I'll definitely be tuned in for that one!

I also want to invite you guys to join in on a "just for fun" pick the NFL winners game. I've started a group at the ESPN 'Pigskin Pick 'Em' site, and I'm trying get a large group of participants. It's free, and just for 'bragging rights'. There are no prizes of any kind. My group is called "AFL Golden Anniversary". The password to enter this private group is "FTFT". To enter, just go here: http://games.espn.go.com/pigskin/en/group?groupID=19973. Follow the instructions to join the group.

Unfortunately for all American football fans, Q, I'm not in charge of the schedules for either ASN or True Visions. :-) That's my caveat to cover the fact that anything I post is must my interpretation of what I get from the various sources available to all of us, including the TrueV magazine, and the TrueV and ASN websites. Right now, I believe that what I said earlier is what we can expect from ASN:

Both Sunday afternoon games, live at midnight and at 03:30, and replayed at various times the same day (Monday), and throughout the week.

The Sunday night game, live at 07:00 Monday, and replayed as above.

The Monday night game, live at 07:30 Tuesday, and replayed as above.

I'm finding the ASN online schedule (http://www.asn.tv/eng/scheduling090910.html) to be accurate. (Remember that the times shown are 1 hour AHEAD of Thai time!) The negative there is that their schedule is posted in weekly blocks, running Monday through Sunday. Which means that you can't see the weekend football schedule ahead of time. Those Monday games aren't shown until that same Monday. I'm going to write to them about that, and it would help if everyone here would do the same thing. Let's request that they try to give us at least a 2-week schedule, if not more!

As for TrueV, I'm not sure about anything they publish, since their own schedules (print and online) disagree! But the potential good news, which I mentioned earlier, is that they MAY be giving us 'live' broadcast of 2 DIFFERENT games from those shown on ASN; with replays of those different games on ASN later, for a total of SIX games available for viewing, either live or in replay. The TrueV schedule search page is here: http://www.truevisionstv.com/trueworld.asp...pk=0&mode=3

You can see that there are 5 different games shown there for broadcast this Monday. If you change the channel in that window of the search line to True Sport 3, you'll see that it shows the same two games, live at midnight and 03:30) that we're getting on ASN (Redskins @ Giants; Eagles @ Panthers). So I have no idea where the replays listed for ASN (Jags @ Colts; 49ers @ Cardinals) are coming from! I just hope it's correct! I mean, 6 games per week may not be as good as NFL Sunday Ticket back home; but it's pretty darn good for Thailand!

That's the best I can do for detailing the "expected" broadcasts for now, Q. As I said, I feel very confident that we can depend upon the consistent broadcast and replays of those 4 games on ASN. The rest is still "wait and see" for me.

Guys, I have sent a note to ASN to ask for an improvement in their online schedule. Currently, we can only access one week; and that week is SET from Monday through Sunday. It doesn't "roll" to show a week in advance at any time. This means that we really have no advance notice of the games to be broadcast 'live' from midnight Monday on, until after midnight Monday.

I'm providing a copy of the note I sent. I hope that each of you will either send a note of your own, or simply copy mine, and tell them that you support my request. Just go to their website, click on "Contact Us", and send your note. Here's the URL for the contact page, followed by a copy of my note:

http://asn.tv/eng/contactus.html?q=thankyou

Gentlemen,

Many, many thanks for the fantastic coverage of the NFL that you are bringing to us!

I would like to suggest one significant improvement to your website that would enhance our ability to enjoy your programming even more.

Your schedule now runs from Monday through Sunday. This means that we can't see the schedule for the weekend games, which are broadcast here in Asia on Monday, until they are already in progress!

Is it possible for you to improve the schedule package on your website by expanding it to at least two weeks? More would be even better.

If you cannot do that, can you reset the "week" to run from Sunday through Saturday? At least we would then have a full day of advance notice of the games to be broadcast.

Thanks again for your great coverage. I hope you'll continue to work on improvements for us.

While we're on the subject of ASN... here's a copy of a post I wrote to their ASN website forum re the scheduling of NFL Total Access, and their moderator reply posted just the other day... which sounds promising...

---------------------------------------------------

Post subject: Inconsistent/Crazy Scheduling of NFL Total Access

Post Posted: 02 Sep 2009, 14:45

First, I want to say, as an American living in Thailand, I think the addition of ASN to the TrueVisions cable lineup, and ASN's coverage of NFL football, are the best things that have happened to local television since I moved here. I probably watch ASN more than any other channel on my cable system. So I'm very happy about that.

Now for one gripe: I have to believe ASN paid some good money to obtain the broadcasting rights for the NFL content, including the pre-season, regular season and post season. The NFL certainly would be considered the premiere content among the various sports currently offered via ASN.... So....

The current scheduling of the daily NFL Total Access show seems to be absolutely crazy and have no consistent pattern or trend, not to mention each episode typically airing only once, and usually at some god awful hour like 1 am or 5 am or 3 am... And every day is different.

I really want to ask... why... the network cannot set a regular air time for this show, and then stick with it thru the season... and if need be... schedule a repeat airing of the same episode in a different time frame (day vs. night) for people who may not be home at certain hours.

The current scheduling situation makes it virtually impossible to watch NFL Total Access except on a very sporadic, happenstance basis. I would have to believe ASN ought to be give the program better scheduling treatment than it currently gets.

Looking forward to your answer, and hopefully better scheduling treatment for NFL Total Access.

-------------------------------------------------------

Forum Admin

Post subject: Re: Inconsistent/Crazy Scheduling of NFL Total Access

Post Posted: 04 Sep 2009, 13:09

Thank you for your valuable comment.

ASN will definitely look into the schedule and fix it the soonest.

ASN

And don't forget to set your alarm clocks for Friday/tomorrow morning....

ASN Network

Friday, 7:30 AM NFL SEASON 2009-2010 - TENNESSEE TITANS @ PITTSBURGH STEELERS

OPENING NIGHT LIVE

And then the game repeating Friday evening starting at 7 PM...

Unfortunately, according to the True web site schedule, the NFL Total Access season preview episode appears to have been slotted only one time (no repeats)... That was Thursday evening...and I just missed it... :)

I know we all tend to focus on pro football, but ASN will be televising 4 live NCAA football games Sunday morning (Bangkok time).

Right, OMR! And there will also be some NCAA games, both live and replays, on ESPN.

I certainly, as you said, tend to focus on the NFL. However, I do love to watch as much college football as time permits. The electric atmosphere at college games is fantastic; and it's great to get a look at the kids who will soon be in the draft pool for the NFL.

I've already watched 3 NCAA games, and plan to catch at least a couple each week.

And don't forget to set your alarm clocks for Friday/tomorrow morning....

ASN Network

Friday, 7:30 AM NFL SEASON 2009-2010 - TENNESSEE TITANS @ PITTSBURGH STEELERS

OPENING NIGHT LIVE

And then the game repeating Friday evening starting at 7 PM...

Unfortunately, according to the True web site schedule, the NFL Total Access season preview episode appears to have been slotted only one time (no repeats)... That was Thursday evening...and I just missed it... :)

So is the game on now?  I will have to rescan my transponder to get this channel, so eaiser for me to go down the road to watch it at a local restaurant.