Sirens On Sukhumvit For Past 30 Minites

bangkokjohn

Fusion Suite Hotel suk 21

fire now under control

twitter info

I walked down to see what was happening. What a mob! 5 fire engines and 50 of those freelance rescue squads. people everywhere and the road totally blocked. I'm not sure the volunteers are much use.

BAngkok fire dept. guys did save one guy on the top floor. Hats off to them.

That is outstanding that they managed to save someone!!

I am further down on Asoke and was watching the chaos as those volunteer rescue guys, in the small pick ups, were racing in both directions up and down Asoke. I saw one of the small black and white trucks with red lights going smack right into a street vendor pushing his sausage cart across Asoke. Totally destroyed the cart, but the vendor was okay. Subsequently, the local Soi dogs showed up to aid in the cleanup effort.

Edited by KHR1010

That is outstanding that they managed to save someone!!

I am further down on Asoke and was watching the chaos as those volunteer rescue guys, in the small pick ups, were racing in both directions up and down Asoke. I saw one of the small black and white trucks with red lights going smack right into a street vendor pushing his sausage cart across Asoke. Totally destroyed the cart, but the vendor was okay. Subsequently, the local Soi dogs showed up to aid in the cleanup effort.

About three years ago, there was a major fire at the Indian Embassy on Soi 23. There were so many pick-ups full of "Volunteers" that the legitimate fire fighting apparatus was significantly delayed getting to the fire.

I saw one of those pick-ups tearing down 23 with a load of guys sitting on the back side rails. He hit a curb and two of them were thrown off, one was pretty seriously injured. The whole thing was amazingly dis-organized.

I heard that the recent fire on Asoke was caused by some idiots letting off Loy Kratong hot air balloons from from the top of a building on Wednesday night. could that be true?

I went back to Patong for the first anniversary of the tsunami. The night before they had a rehearsal on the beach launching many khohm laawy which drifted off over the sea on a gentle offshore breeze. Perfick.

Come the night of the anniversary the wind had changed to onshore and all the lanterns were blown over the town. I watched one settle on top of a multi-storey car park. Eventually the organizers twigged and put out the call to stop launching them smile.gif