Iphone Screen Repair In Koh Samui?

Would appreciate any advise.

I have a original factory unlocked (purchased in Hong Kong in 2009) iPhone 3GS. The screen recently started developing some dead pixels which has started becoming progressively worse (not sure why it started in the first place)

Does anyone now of a good iPhone Repair option in Koh Samui?

Thanks in advance, LJ

• 5 months later...

those dead pixels won't be repaired, it's a result of the phone being dropped either once or a cumulative effect and needs to be replaced. i just dropped mine this morning and my screen is f u k t. total spider web. is there anyone here on samui that can replace an iphone screen?

hey bluebell, i'll be making the rounds today to try and find someone and will let you know if i do. i've been googling and it appears to be a simple home replacement if you buy the glass and have a few tools. i'd prefer to have someone experienced replace mine but if push comes to shove i'll be doing it myself. my 3gs glass is completely shattered.

hey bluebell, i'll be making the rounds today to try and find someone and will let you know if i do. i've been googling and it appears to be a simple home replacement if you buy the glass and have a few tools. i'd prefer to have someone experienced replace mine but if push comes to shove i'll be doing it myself. my 3gs glass is completely shattered.

Chuckle. If you have a look on EBay you will see dozens of broken iPhones for sale, all of them being sold with the replacement screen also. People are lured into buying DIY replacements, believing it to be a easy job, and then they discover that it's not. Not only that but they have additionally damaged their phone in the process. :realangry:

I've even seen Thai phone shops in Tesco - the so-called experts (double-chuckle ..."I'm a Thai person: I can do anything") - opening phone cases using screwdrivers to pry them apart! (For those not aware of these things, there are special plastic tools available that don't dig holes in the case.) With the iPhone screen it's also useful to use a rubber sucker to remove the screen.

On top of this, the iPhone is one of the several phones which has two screens: a surface digitizing screen which sits in contact with the LCD screen underneath (you'll need to check if both screens are broken). And then you'll also need to order the peel-off printed sheet of adhesive film to glue everything back together again . . . the parts alone come to close on 1,500 baht. That's a quality 3-rd party replacement screen - the original full kit from an Apple/iPhone agent is over 5,000 baht (I forget exactly quite how much now . . .)

I've done 14 or 15 of these now and know the pitfalls. if you haven't experience in pulling phones apart then I wouldn't begin with an expensive one like the iPhone to experiment on!

:rolleyes:

Rob

Edited by robsamui

thanks for the reply rob. i've really got no interest or intent of doing it myself unless i can't find someone experienced that's willing to accept a few baht to do it for me.

at this point the phones a paperweight. i was planning on getting a new one from the states in a few months but this has altered my schedule a bit. if i can't get someone to fix it, it will either remain as a paperweight or i'd have to try it myself.

thanks for the reply rob. i've really got no interest or intent of doing it myself unless i can't find someone experienced that's willing to accept a few baht to do it for me.

at this point the phones a paperweight. i was planning on getting a new one from the states in a few months but this has altered my schedule a bit. if i can't get someone to fix it, it will either remain as a paperweight or i'd have to try it myself.

Yes - and that's why I mostly don't do them anymore.

On the one hand folks insist on paying me Thai wages and I really can't be assed to spend 3 hours and get 300 baht for it.

But on the other hand they moan and whinge about the results of paying Thai people to do the job for them.

Funny old world, innit! :unsure:

R

well from my perspective, i was planning on replacing this 3gs over the summer anyway (hoping either for them to release a 5 and if not will get the 4). if i'm paying thousands of baht to fix the screen on a phone that has been dropped hard enough to shatter the glass, i might just end up with nice new glass on a phone that doesn't work properly anymore when i could have added a few more thousand baht and just got the new one anyway.

the morning started out in a quandary that is slowly morphing into a simple pain in the backside.

This repair is for an iPhone 3GS device with a broken glass screen or malfunctioning touch screen. The image behind the screen should still be intact.

During the repair process, all of our devices are air compressor cleaned and subsequently spot cleaned with an alcohol wipe to remove residue and decrease connector malfunction.

Our technicians use a 360 degree adhesive that covers all sides of the phone insuring a perfect seal which prevents dust and debris from collecting between the screen surfaces.

As opposed to most companies doing repairs, we have always, and we continue to use only 100% Apple original parts on our repairs

$69.99

that seems very reasonable to me. too bad they are in the states 55

got my 3gs repaired at the Bliss Tel shop inside Tesco. 1,400 baht and the phone is as good as a used phone with shattered glass could be i suppose. top marks to apple for this one, the glass was completely spider webbed top to bottom with pieces of glass missing but the phone still worked, could swipe, send sms, call etc. even had small shards falling out each time i'd use it.

i asked him about repairing my 2g and he said 4k baht because apparently you can't just replace the glass or something, i didn't care too much about that old phone so i just let the kids play with it anyway.

got my 3gs repaired at the Bliss Tel shop inside Tesco. 1,400 baht and the phone is as good as a used phone with shattered glass could be i suppose. top marks to apple for this one, the glass was completely spider webbed top to bottom with pieces of glass missing but the phone still worked, could swipe, send sms, call etc. even had small shards falling out each time i'd use it.

i asked him about repairing my 2g and he said 4k baht because apparently you can't just replace the glass or something, i didn't care too much about that old phone so i just let the kids play with it anyway.

Thanks for posting the info Joe, will check them out. Unfortunately I think the touch screen may also be damaged as one area non-responsive, but worth a try.

Thanks again.