Airasia : How Much Luggage Weight Is Allowed ?

miodo2009

I think it depends on where you are going. Normally its much cheaper if you pre pay for your luggage when you buy tickets than pay for it when you check it. If you already know you will have 40 kgs, then just book it with them.

• 2 weeks later...

There's no free luggage allowance. You simply choose and pay for whichever option suits your needs. If you choose say "Medium", then you pay 300 Baht for 20KG. If you didn't calculate it very well and your case weighed 21 KG, then you'd be charged an extra fee for the additional kilogram. See Baggage Supersize for more details.

Do make use of your option to check-in up to 7 days prior to your flight either online, or by using your mobile. If you use your mobile, you might possibly see a message that the resolution on your phone was insufficient to display the barcode (it happened to me). Don't worry, just turn up at the Web Check-in desk and tell them you checked in with your mobile. They'll be able to find you in the system easily enough if that happens and will print your boarding pass for you.

To fly domestically on AirAsia you have to pay a fee for any checked luggage, as described above. For international flights, the first 15kg is free. Or at least that's how it worked for a Bangkok-Denpasar flight I just took.

You have to pay for both domectic and international flights up to 30kgs. AirasiaX baggage charges is more expensive than Airasia. You are also only allowed 7kgs cabin allowance and strictly only 1 piece. They do and will check your carry on luggage for weight!

You will select the weight of luggage when you book your flight. I get a default asking if I want to pay for 15kg. I often travel Airasia with heavy stuff. Experience suggests that the more I pre-book the more tolerant check-in is, ie. if I pre-pay 25 kgs they'll give me a couple extra ok. If I book 15kg no way. Most times.

At check-in I ask to weigh my carry-on bag(up to 7kg). If it's a little over they'll often say ok and put a 'weight checked' sticker on and it doesn't get re-weighed at the gate.

Your laptop is seperate to the 7kg carry-on. Put heavy things such as books in this. Not weighed. Ladies can carry a handbag unweighed. Not sure if this is in addition to the laptop bag. This is not against the rules. I may sound like a 'cheap charlie' but I'm an Aussie of Scottish ancestry. Look after your pennies and your pounds will look after themselves(gotta roll your 'r's). I was also married to a Jew for 15 years.

There are variables such as how full flight, supervisors morning spiel, carrier's profit and loss for the month, but can't count on these factors at check-in when you're lugging 8 bags.

Definately pre-book your baggage weight. Very expensive to pay at check-in. Better to pre-pay a few more kilos than you reckon you'll need.

• 4 weeks later...