Anti Virus Recommendations Needed

astral

For several years I have been running Avira antivirus, but it looks a though this

may the source of the problems I have been experiencing recently

So I have removed Avira.

The question is what to replace it with?

I am looking for a reliable, prefereably free programme.

MS Security Essentials has been suggested.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks

Comodo Antivirus and Firewall (now called CIS) has served me extremely well for the past couple of years. I also scan weekly with Spybot S&D. Last time I had an undetected virus that was serious enough to prevent Windows from even booting was on my old laptop with Norton installed. Getting rid of that garbage also improved the boot time by about 40%.

I use NOD32 exclusively on Windows, Avast on Linux. NOD32 and Norton have excellent heuristics, which can spot unknown viruses. Some definition based AVs can have issues in virus "microclimates" like Thailand where a lot of local scripts and trojans propagate. Good heuristics helps defend against that.

I disinfect far too many AVG and Panda "protected" computers at work to ever trust them.

AVAST on the other hand has improved remarkably in the past few years.

I have been running ZoneAlarm Pro Firewall for several year and the sub has just renewed

So I looked that their Security Suite which includes Antivirus

It looked as though they would charge me again for the upgrade.

I challenged them on the chat line and they offered to reverse my renewal payment for Pro.

This meant I could go for the Security Suite for just $5 extra ($34.95)

Then came their Black Friday offer with the Extreme Security for $25

That is $5 less than I wa paying for the firewall on its own.

What a bargain. I jumped at it.

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/cart.htm

Watch the script, or yuo may end up buying 2 or 3 copies instead of the one you need

The offer finishes Monday 29th November

I used to use Avast and NOD32 - Avast let me download a trojan which wrecked some havoc, then detected the trojan when I ran a full scan. I'd like Avast to explain how that is possible.

NOD32 is good but isn't all that user-friendly with Settings.

My recommendation is iObit Security 360 (CNET download link).

I've used Avast for six years or so. I like it. It is free. It updates itself several times a day. It has caught several viruses. I am happy with it. I use Antimalwarebytes also. Same comments as to Avast, except you have to update it manually..easy to do. I also recommend Glary Utilities for lots of reasons. You are welcome. Cheers from Sattahip

AVG Update Cripples Windows 7

by Robert Boland

For those of you who are using Windows 7, you may want to watch out if your using AVG antivirus to protect your system. On Wedensday night, AVG released an update for it’s antivirus program which completely crippled Windows 7 64 bit systems and rendered them useless.

The problem leaves the machine in a continuous reboot loop. At the time of writing this, thankfully AVG have pulled the update and say it’s now safe once again to update your systems. They’ve apologised for making a mess of things and are now providing instructions on how to get your system back up and running once again.

The culprit was a simple virus definition update version 271.1.1/3292 (432/3292). The error message that appeared was

STOP: c0000135 The program can’t start because %hs is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

Luckily AVG have now got a couple of different fixes out, one simple quick and easy option is to boot into safe mode, and then do a system restore to before the AVG update. But in some cases users haven’t been able to boot into safe mode and AVG have a couple of different options for that too, there’s a bit of work in it though.

If you’re one of those people who have applied to update, but are yet to reboot your system and be affected by this issue, there is still a chance to save your machine. You need to find the preparations folder located at C:\Program files (x86)\AVG\AVG10 (64-bit systems) and delete it. You should then be able to reboot as normal.

If you still haven’t managed to get yourself sorted, AVG say they will be releasing a tool to sort it all out over the next couple of days, but if you’re still really stuck, try the AVG forums.

It’s ironic how the software that we trust to protect our systems from nasty viruses that cause these problems in the first place can actually turn against us sometimes!

Source: Windows 7 News

• 3 months later...

No need to look any further than Microsoft Security Essentials these days. It's free and despite what you might expect, its good. Avira is also good, if you can stand the constant nagging and popups to buy it.

AVG is the worst in my opinion and I encourage people to get rid of it.

I used to use Avast and NOD32 - Avast let me download a trojan which wrecked some havoc, then detected the trojan when I ran a full scan. I'd like Avast to explain how that is possible.

NOD32 is good but isn't all that user-friendly with Settings.

My recommendation is iObit Security 360 (CNET download link).

I have Malwarebytes and Avast at the mo.

Does your recommendation cover everything that my 2 do. Not up on this stuff. :)