Vientiane Denying Tourist Visas Now?

I didn't restrict my comments or advice to only those already in Thailand, apparently you did by mentioning the 100k expense of travel. So, applying at Hull may not be a "silly reccomendation". There are a number of people who make visa arrangements before departing their home country, or region. I simply suggest that they should be aware that it may not be as simple to obtain visas within this region as before, so perhaps best to plan accordingly, especially if intending a long term stay.

Edited by beechguy

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no clear rule any more, granted. There used to be a rule that you cannot be a tourist in Thailand for more than 180 days in a one-year period.

The purpose was to get rid of all those foreigners who work here, be it as bar owners or language techers, who do the visa run to a neighbouring country on a regular basis. These people, who work without a work permit and without paying taxes, have spoiled the climate for those who really stay on Thailand's beautiful beaches for a long time and just spend money.

Are you talking about the visa exempt entry limit that was in place from 2007 - 2008? That didn't affect tourist visa entries. I was doing back-to-back tourist visas back then without a problem.

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. I have already been corrected that this did not apply to Tourist visas.

I understand that in total, there is no 180-day restriction any more,. Good to know.

• 3 weeks later...

There is, and was, no limit on number of visa exempt entry and the 90 day provision was abandoned several years ago. After 3 or 4 you may start to be asked why and if you are working.

I'm on my 3rd visa exempt entry. I want to stay in Thailand, get a job, a house, a wife, etc. At some point I'll need to change from the current status. Question: should I do this now, ie., move into the tourist visa track, or keep going on the exemptions? The law allows for 'multiple entries" and the provision limiting stays to 180 days in any year was dropped in the Nov. 2008 Order. It's inconvenient to leave every 30 days and makes me nervous that, at some point, I could suddenly be denied entry. Should I wait or get a tourist visa?

You can always be denied entry, with or without a visa. Entry is upon discretion of the immigration officer.

Mario, your reply provides a big picture view of things - thank you. However, typically there is some predictabilty to these matters. That is, in an extremely high percentage of cases, a traveler with a valid visa (or exemption) can safely assume they will be allowed entry (even though, as you say, an immigration officer may exercise discretion to the contrary. Then, all bets are off) But usually a person can predict a successful entry. My question is whether there is a change in that predictability as the number of uses of the exemption increases by an individual. There may not be any change to the predictability since the Nov. 2008 Order eliminated the 180-day stay limitation. In fact, one might be correct to infer that Immigration has loosened the limits on stay for exempt entries. My question is on the practical level and concerns whether anyone has noticed a discernable "tipping point" in this regard.

What about educational visas? My passport is packed with tourist exempt stamps,ED visas and extensions but not a single Tourist Visa. Could I be denied a tourist visa?

I cannot be absolutely sure but I think if you did not have any tourist visas you would get one. The problem seems to be with people on tourist visas.

Walen School - Learn Thai and no visa problems

www.thaiwalen.com

"Learn Thai and no visa problems."

eeuuuhhhhh.....

What was that other poster saying again about abusing the system?

You can always be denied entry, with or without a visa. Entry is upon discretion of the immigration officer.

Mario, your reply provides a big picture view of things - thank you. However, typically there is some predictabilty to these matters. That is, in an extremely high percentage of cases, a traveler with a valid visa (or exemption) can safely assume they will be allowed entry (even though, as you say, an immigration officer may exercise discretion to the contrary. Then, all bets are off) But usually a person can predict a successful entry. My question is whether there is a change in that predictability as the number of uses of the exemption increases by an individual. There may not be any change to the predictability since the Nov. 2008 Order eliminated the 180-day stay limitation. In fact, one might be correct to infer that Immigration has loosened the limits on stay for exempt entries. My question is on the practical level and concerns whether anyone has noticed a discernable "tipping point" in this regard.

The immigration officer would look at the whole picture, not only visa exempt entries or only tourist visa entries. But multiple entries on visa exempt entries so far has not been a real problem. But as noted, tourist visas are harder to get if back to back. That will mean more people going back to visa exempt entries, which might trigger a response (or not).

If you really want to stay in Thailand, you need a non-immigrant visa (and extensions of stay). So find a job as soon as possible.

• 1 month later...

Could someone tell me, please - In Vientiane Thai Embassy they want one copy of my passports main page only? I've read somewhere that they also ask for a copy of page with Lao visa, is that true?

Just make a copy of all pages make sure to sign each copy. Don't not worry if they do not want the copy they will either give back or bin it.