Creosote

GUANO

Hi,

After creosote or a similar kind of thing to treat some wood that will be outdoors. We have quite a lot of wood to be treated! Creosote came to mind as it's cheap and pretty effective.

Has anyone seen any around or know of a similar inexpensive product to help protect against the elements?

Also does anyone know what creosote is in Thai or have a picture of a bottle/can?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

GUANO

To be honest with youu I have no idea.

When I was young we used creosote to protect wood that was going into the ground such as Telephone poles and stakes.

It was smelly and black. Not exsactly what you would want above ground. That could have changed in the last 50 years.

You might try a Paint store I am sure they would have wood preservatives.

I think I would find a safer alternative though - not to good for the water table I would think.

"The federal government has not developed regulatory standards and guidelines to protect people from the potential health effects of exposure to coal tar creosote in drinking water and food.

However, regulatory standards and guidelines in air and water exist for the key individual polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and phenols --the major chemicals that cause harmful health effects--contained in creosote.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has declared creosote a restricted use pesticide, which means that it can only be bought and used by certified applicators and only for those uses covered by the applicator's certification. Any creosote that is released into the environment that registers over one pound must be reported to the EPA.

Creosote Dangers and FELA

Unfortunately, railroad workers, primarily maintenance of way employees, are exposed to high concentrations of creosote on a daily basis. They are, therefore, at a higher risk for diseases tied to creosote exposure. Freshly treated wood that contains creosote can cause harm to an individual who has direct skin contact or inhales toxic vapors.

In an October 2002 report, the Agency for Toxic Substance and Disease Registry detailed that "workers who work with creosote-treated wood in building fences, bridges or railroad tracks or installing telephone poles may face exposure. Those who inspect or maintain these materials ... also risk exposure to creosote."