Flying With Aeroflot

rayfork

Flew with them years ago, here's a good place to start.

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/aeroflot.htm

I used them quite a few times from London to Bkk in the 90s. A couple of hairy moments like cabin crew removing what I suspect was one of the pilots en route to Moscow who was incapacitated in one way or another, but generally no problems and would be perfectly happy to use them again.

Yours, V. Putin.

Edited by baboon

One thing I did like about them back in the day was the fact they did not even pretend they were a top notch company. Staff members would point out to pax that they paid tuppence ha penny for ther fares, so what did they expect?

But to be fair, they are at least safe, and the pilots can and do fly through anything.

One thing I did like about them back in the day was the fact they did not even pretend they were a top notch company. Staff members would point out to pax that they paid tuppence ha penny for ther fares, so what did they expect?

But to be fair, they are at least safe, and the pilots can and do fly through anything.

And the staff are trained to crawl along the wings in flight to fix an engine failure. 10 out of 10 for that. :unsure::D

They have even been known to change wheels in flight

Flew them two years ago. My general recommendation is not to fly them unless you can't afford anything else.. Not unsafe unless you fly domestic I guess, but the staff generally unhappy/unfriendly. When transiting in Moscow it took some time for them to check my ticket and the people in front of my went were they should already so I didn't know where to go and was just sent in to some corridor where I could go left or right and after that had to figure out when to take a turn again.. Not so much fun being alone and ending up in some bus not knowing if you're in the right place..

Also they didn't have ANY in flight entertainment.. I'm not talking just not having a lcd screen in the seat in front of you, there just wasn't any at all! Now, that was a boring flight..

Used them LHR - BKK - LHR about 10 - 12 years ago. They were the cheapest, and an added bonus was that at that time they were one of the few remaining airlines that still had a smoking section. LHS - SVO was ok both ways, but the SVO - BKK leg was terrible. Landing at Don Muang was the most frightening landing I've experienced, everyone on the plane suddenly rediscovered their religious roots. The plane for the return journey was indescribable, The carpets were like the carpets just under the public bar in a busy pub (putrid and sticky), the seat backs were worn through with bits of foam hanging out, the plastic trims round the seats were broken and jagged and the service was the worst I've ever encountered.

Never again.

I'd rather holiday in Whitley Bay than fly with that shower of siht again!!!!!

You know, if there is one thing I hate on here it is posters who beat about the bush and dont tell you what they really think. :D

Talking of showers of sh1t, I remember a Biman Bangladesh flight when the bog broke and it was all running down the aisles.

Flew them once, never again.

Cabin crew decided to enjoy their flight and pretty much slept and drunk their way from HKG to Moscow in Business class as it was empty. Tried to get a drink and was told to go to the back and help myself!

Spend a bit more money if I were you and have a safe and enjoyable trip!

In Soviet Russia, plane pilots YOU!!

It's an OK airline. Not top-notch of course, but good enough. Bring a couple of books and an iPod - and also some USD if you would like to drink alcoholic beverages on board.

Quite generous with the non-alcoholic beverages too, actually. They placed it all in the back, so everyone could drink as much as they wanted without having to ask someone for each single glass of orange juice / tomato juice / tropical juice.

Edited by torasap

Cabin crew decided to enjoy their flight and pretty much slept and drunk their way from HKG to Moscow in Business class as it was empty. Tried to get a drink and was told to go to the back and help myself!

Me too, never again !! The story goes, flew with them because they were the cheapest and it was a great experience of testing your Karma and temper management.

The new airplane from Heathrow to Moscow was very efficient and I had an economy ticket but was put in first class as the plane was not full, very comfortable, as we approached Moscow it all when down hill from there. It was foggy and the aircraft was on approach but near ground the aircraft went to full engine thrust and we suddenly climbed steeply above the fog and heading for St. Petersburg. We had landed at a military part of the airport and were not allowed to get off. They open the cabin door, it was -5% or less a young lady sitting near me was becoming a blur so from all empty seats I grab the blankets and gave them to her, I ask one cabin crew who was smoking by the door if he could close it, he said no because he was watching the plane being re-fueled.:( After about 4 hours with were on our way and managed to land in Moscow. We knew the flight was late in and had been told we had miss the connecting flight to Bangkok. After three hours we boarded this plane it was enormous with an very high ceiling and old seats, one guy sitting along from me made me laugh saying " bloody hell this plane is older than me" and then said if it landed in Heathrow it would be grounded. We sat on the plane for a further 2 hours there were no more people coming on board so they decided to go. It must have been a old part of the runway too on take off luggage compartment doors fell open 2 flush ceiling lights fittings came down hanging on wires the cabin lights were going on and off. When in the air one of he passengers told us, if you want anything you have to get it yourself, you can smoke also at the end of the plane with the cabin crew.

Glad I had some to read and after what seemed even longer flight than usual we were circling over Bangkok for over 1 hour waiting for a landing time we were told. Everyone braced themselves we hit ground with a noisy but safe landing as the plane slowed down everyone started clapping but I had missed the last plane out to Phitsanulok. So tired after my wonderful flight with Aeroflop I booked into the Amari airport hotel :jerk: showing my Thai air ticket to Phitsanulok getting a discount price of what I thought was 4,700 bht and crashed out in this fabulous room. The next morning free breakfast in a beautiful restaurant time to check out and presented with a bill for

13,300 bht the 4,700 was the discount. :crying: another one of life's lessons learnt.:lol: :lol:

I won't bore you further with the return journey that was even more of a laugh :rolleyes: it took 4 days 5 if I had got to the Bangkok airport the time I should have but got to stay in the Amari again for free courtesy of Bangkok airport management.:clap2:

Me too, never again !! The story goes, flew with them because they were the cheapest and it was a great experience of testing your Karma and temper management.

The new airplane from Heathrow to Moscow was very efficient and I had an economy ticket but was put in first class as the plane was not full, very comfortable, as we approached Moscow it all when down hill from there. It was foggy and the aircraft was on approach but near ground the aircraft went to full engine thrust and we suddenly climbed steeply above the fog and heading for St. Petersburg. We had landed at a military part of the airport and were not allowed to get off. They open the cabin door, it was -5% or less a young lady sitting near me was becoming a blur so from all empty seats I grab the blankets and gave them to her, I ask one cabin crew who was smoking by the door if he could close it, he said no because he was watching the plane being re-fueled.:( After about 4 hours with were on our way and managed to land in Moscow. We knew the flight was late in and had been told we had miss the connecting flight to Bangkok. After three hours we boarded this plane it was enormous with an very high ceiling and old seats, one guy sitting along from me made me laugh saying " bloody hell this plane is older than me" and then said if it landed in Heathrow it would be grounded. We sat on the plane for a further 2 hours there were no more people coming on board so they decided to go. It must have been a old part of the runway too on take off luggage compartment doors fell open 2 flush ceiling lights fittings came down hanging on wires the cabin lights were going on and off. When in the air one of he passengers told us, if you want anything you have to get it yourself, you can smoke also at the end of the plane with the cabin crew.

Glad I had some to read and after what seemed even longer flight than usual we were circling over Bangkok for over 1 hour waiting for a landing time we were told. Everyone braced themselves we hit ground with a noisy but safe landing as the plane slowed down everyone started clapping but I had missed the last plane out to Phitsanulok. So tired after my wonderful flight with Aeroflop I booked into the Amari airport hotel :jerk: showing my Thai air ticket to Phitsanulok getting a discount price of what I thought was 4,700 bht and crashed out in this fabulous room. The next morning free breakfast in a beautiful restaurant time to check out and presented with a bill for

13,300 bht the 4,700 was the discount. :crying: another one of life's lessons learnt.:lol: :lol:

I won't bore you further with the return journey that was even more of a laugh :rolleyes: it took 4 days 5 if I had got to the Bangkok airport the time I should have but got to stay in the Amari again for free courtesy of Bangkok airport management.clap2.gif

That's hilarious! Sounds like an episode taken from Monty Python.

I like flying different routes to Thailand (Singapore / Hong Kong / Kuala Lumpur / Dubai so far) and was considering Aeroflot once myself, but I think I'll give them a miss.

They once had a crash where the captain let his son take the controls, then stood there giving him instructions as the plane spiraled down instead of taking control back. Turned out that their wrestling with the controls overrode autopilot and all they had to do was let go and it would have righted itself automatically.. It was an airbus A310..

Like that “Xircal” return journey for you, being fair to Aeroflot this was 7yrs ago:-

What I thought was my last day in Thailand was the day I should have been at the airport and looking forward to my return flight with “Aeroflop” emm ??.:rolleyes: Dam it ! I had read the ticket wrong 00.10 hrs was today and that had gone, Oh well !! off to Don Meung Bangkok, at 20:00 hrs presenting my ticket at the Aeroflop flights enquiry desk with apologies etc and about to ask what do I need to do but the polite young Russian lady threw my ticket back at me and said bluntly “ No problem flight delayed “ Oh ! OK thankyou, I said, and thought that was handy no extra to pay.B)

Finding the check-in desks there were many people there with crying kids from the night before still waiting as I should have been. People started walking away from the closed check-in desks and we were told to come back at 11:00 pm (23:00hrs).

At 23:00hrs there were many more people but the desks were still closed and then we were told to come back tomorrow at 6:00 am morning. Well there were people shouting and screaming at the check-in staff and it was all getting bit out of hand.:annoyed:

Suddenly a Thai guy from the airport management quieted down everyone by announcing that we all go to the Amari Hotel where we could spend the night free of charge.:)

A free late supper in the luxurious restaurant, had to pay for 4 small bottles Singha beer and glad I looked in the menu before another one at 150bht ea.

The room was as flash just like my first time stay, early morning call, off to free breakfast, off to check-in desk and told to come back about 12 noon, great !!!:unsure:

At 12 noon told to come back 6:00pm, great !! We eventually boarded at 21:00hrs (9:00pm) if someone had said enjoy your flight I think I would have punched them one, it must have been awful for the people coping with kids.

I don’t remember the flight I think we were all comatose by then, on arriving at Moscow we were told we had missed our connecting flights, well what’s new, everyone was in stunned silence anyway and we were given a ticket for a free breakfast. Whow !!

I had made friends with two brothers going back to England who were originally from, Sri-Lanka when we had found this run down place which was allegedly called a restaurant we handed our tickets to one of the staff and sat down, well I was sitting facing the oncoming breakfast brought by something out of a horror movie, she must have been an all in wrestler in her part-time or rugby player, she slammed it down on the table, each portion was, one hardboiled egg in shell and a small cup of black tea.

Smiling, I said thankyou very much, that looks nice, looks nice said one of the brothers abruptly with his back to her, that’s terrible, his brother turned around and said, not as terrible as what brought it. After he looked, he said Oh my God, I said go and complain, he said, I don’t think so, maybe I would not be coming back. We all just laughed and got stuck into some excellent Draught Guinness at a bar in the airport. After we supported each other to board the flight to Heathrow some many pints later we arrived back in good old England about 11:00pm. Great experience but never again.:jap: