Bangkok-Nong Khai High-Speed Train Project To Be Completed Late 2015

webfact

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It originally started in 1997, was mired by corruption and incompetence and halted.

I think you're getting confused with the Hopewell Project to Don Muang which stopped construction in 1997 due to the Asian financial crisis and was never restarted. They hadn't even begun construction on the new airport at that time, let alone the rail link.

I can't wait for this to be completed.

I wonder how hi-speed it is going to be. Nongkhai to BKK in 4 hours?

I have been on these trains in China many times and they are very high speed. Top speed this trip was 320 KM/H. That would make Nongkai in less than 4 hours. The inside of the train is just like an aircraft. Good on Thailand for doing this.

Just out of interest the train tracks are usually elevated, so no chance of hitting the 'som tam' man.

Cheers, Rick

I too have been on a lot of trains in China, and they are apparently up there technologically. Keeping people off the track is a bit easier in China because people tend to "fear" the law at least. I don't see how the line can follow the old line, there are portions of it that go straight through villages.

Furthermore, it goes straight through major towns on the way. Look at the line through downtown Khon Kaen. Passengers can almost shake hands with people living next to the line, plus several level crossings to negotiate.

There is going to have to be a hel_l of a lot of infrastructure built beyond the basics of the lines to make this feasible.

I have been on these trains in China many times and they are very high speed. Top speed this trip was 320 KM/H. That would make Nongkai in less than 4 hours. The inside of the train is just like an aircraft. Good on Thailand for doing this.

Just out of interest the train tracks are usually elevated, so no chance of hitting the 'som tam' man.

Cheers, Rick

I too have been on a lot of trains in China, and they are apparently up there technologically. Keeping people off the track is a bit easier in China because people tend to "fear" the law at least. I don't see how the line can follow the old line, there are portions of it that go straight through villages.

Furthermore, it goes straight through major towns on the way. Look at the line through downtown Khon Kaen. Passengers can almost shake hands with people living next to the line, plus several level crossings to negotiate.

There is going to have to be a hel_l of a lot of infrastructure built beyond the basics of the lines to make this feasible.

Thai, did you miss my earlier point? The trains are elevated. How could you run such a high speed system without this. Flooding in the rainy season etc.

cheers rick

Cheers, Rick

Thai, did you miss my earlier point? The trains are elevated. How could you run such a high speed system without this. Flooding in the rainy season etc.

cheers rick

I have seen them in China elevated mostly, with some very serious fencing to prevent people getting close. However, the reports I see say that the line is going to be alongside the old lines. Following the existing route, seems largely impossible to me. But lets see.

As typical, the cart has been put way infront of the buffalo.

At least negotiations have to be complete and aggreed upon, before a completion date can be announced.

Exact routs have to be established and approved by all local Govts. Impact studies have to be done, (yes even in LOS). Financing must be implace. Plans have to be drawn. Review, negotiate and award all bids for construction.

This alone is going to take 4 years to complete. One can easily add another 3 years to the completion date, for all the corruption investigations, that will lead to the arrest of many of the contractors and officials.

Sorry All if you already made your plans for a 2015 holiday and planned on taking the high speed train to Lao.

Edited by dcutman

At least negotiations have to be complete and aggreed upon, before a completion date can be announced.

Exact routs have to be established and approved by all local Govts. Impact studies have to be done, (yes even in LOS). Financing must be implace. Plans have to be drawn. Review, negotiate and award all bids for construction.

This alone is going to take 4 years to complete. One can easily add another 3 years to the completion date, for all the corruption investigations, that will lead to the arrest of many of the contractors and officials.

Sure, it would be like that in the west or if you would leave the job to the Thai alone.

Not so with the Chinese at the helm; they completed some 200 km of high speed railway in just 20 months.

http://news.xinhuane.../c_13575584.htm

They've now more than 7.000 kms of high speed rail network; they know what they're doing and constructing high speed rail tracks around the world.

Their technology is far ahead of competitors from Japan, France and even Germany due to the lack of experience, building many high speed trains and tracks.

There are even high speed tracks, connecting 2 cities (from Zhengzhou to Xi'an for instance; some 500 km) which completely knocked out the airlines between the 2 cities and ALL flights were completely canceled; people prefer a comfortable 2 hour train trip above a 40 min flight with all the hasles; next to that it is a lot cheaper than a plane ticket.

But, it's up to the Thai whether they cooperate or end up in driftsand because of local corruption.

LaoPo

Sure, it would be like that in the west or if you would leave the job to the Thai alone.

Not so with the Chinese at the helm; they completed some 200 km of high speed railway in just 20 months.

They've now more than 7.000 kms of high speed rail network; they know what they're doing and constructing high speed rail tracks around the world.

Their technology is far ahead of competitors from Japan, France and even Germany due to the lack of experience, building many high speed trains and tracks.

There are even high speed tracks, connecting 2 cities (from Zhengzhou to Xi'an for instance; some 500 km) which completely knocked out the airlines between the 2 cities and ALL flights were completely canceled; people prefer a comfortable 2 hour train trip above a 40 min flight with all the hasles; next to that it is a lot cheaper than a plane ticket.

But, it's up to the Thai whether they cooperate or end up in driftsand because of local corruption.

LaoPo

Ok 200kms in 20 months. But that is construction time. That 20 months is not from the time they thought of the idea. And at over 600kms to be built that would be 5 years if they started construction today.

Unless the Chinese have been sneeking around Thailand doing studies, buying land, negotiating with local governments and linning up all the contractors this is not going to even start for years.

Sorry but this just a fact of a large complex project. Even building a shithouse takes a little planning.

LaoPo

Ok 200kms in 20 months. But that is construction time. That 20 months is not from the time they thought of the idea. And at over 600kms to be built that would be 5 years if they started construction today.

Unless the Chinese have been sneeking around Thailand doing studies, buying land, negotiating with local governments and linning up all the contractors this is not going to even start for years.

Sorry but this just a fact of a large complex project. Even building a shithouse takes a little planning.

Of course it needs planning, but 200 kms could also be done in less than 20 months; the building/construction time is a matter of using prefabricated materials and items, planning and the number of engineers and workers you're planning to put on the job.

Logistics is the main key to a project like this and planning with Chinese engineers and (semi)-authorities takes a lot less time than in Thailand or western countries. Such a project can be done -planning time- within 12-18 months and not 4 years.

I could send you a video of a magnitude 9 earth quake proof hotel with 15 stories, built in Changsha/China in a week......but there are too many sceptical people around here who're just sitting in their chairs laughing and commenting on about almost everything happening right now in the world, claiming nothing is possible....well, I better not disturb them :rolleyes:

Everybody who knows China a bit knows also that virtually EVERYTHING is possible in China within the blink of an eye. There is no other country in the world where (foreign) companies can accomplish so much within such a short period of time as in China. Growth possibilities are mind boggling.

Of course there are and have been many problems and failures but that's mainly because of a lack of understanding and the big gaps in culture, language and expectations.

I know a little about it since I've been coming and going into China for over 30 years and work with Chinese companies on a daily basis.

IMO that high speed railtrack is going to be built but don't ask me when; that's up to the Thai authorities....:rolleyes:

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

It originally started in 1997, was mired by corruption and incompetence and halted.

I think you're getting confused with the Hopewell Project to Don Muang which stopped construction in 1997 due to the Asian financial crisis and was never restarted. They hadn't even begun construction on the new airport at that time, let alone the rail link.

No not confused. The present Suvarnabhumi link follows the old route of the West to East Hopewell line that was to lead out to the then proposed new airport.

No not confused. The present Suvarnabhumi link follows the old route of the West to East Hopewell line that was to lead out to the then proposed new airport.

The Hopewell project had 3 phases - Hualamphong to Don Mueng (North-South), Taling Chan to Hua Mak (East-West) and a "spur to the port".

Construction stopped in 1997 with an estimated 10% of the construction completed. Some of the concrete pillars on the east-west line were demolished for the airport link.

LaoPo

Of course it needs planning, but 200 kms could also be done in less than 20 months; the building/construction time is a matter of using prefabricated materials and items, planning and the number of engineers and workers you're planning to put on the job.

Logistics is the main key to a project like this and planning with Chinese engineers and (semi)-authorities takes a lot less time than in Thailand or western countries. Such a project can be done -planning time- within 12-18 months and not 4 years.

I could send you a video of a magnitude 9 earth quake proof hotel with 15 stories, built in Changsha/China in a week......but there are too many sceptical people around here who're just sitting in their chairs laughing and commenting on about almost everything happening right now in the world, claiming nothing is possible....well, I better not disturb them :rolleyes:

Everybody who knows China a bit knows also that virtually EVERYTHING is possible in China within the blink of an eye. There is no other country in the world where (foreign) companies can accomplish so much within such a short period of time as in China. Growth possibilities are mind boggling.

Of course there are and have been many problems and failures but that's mainly because of a lack of understanding and the big gaps in culture, language and expectations.

I know a little about it since I've been coming and going into China for over 30 years and work with Chinese companies on a daily basis.

IMO that high speed railtrack is going to be built but don't ask me when; that's up to the Thai authorities....:rolleyes:

LaoPo

Ok LaoPo

China is the greatest at everything. They are great at stealing patents and trade secrets as well. They stole all the bullet train info from the Germans and Japanese.

That being said PLEASE READ THIS ARTICAL AGAIN.

This is just in the discussion phase!!! It will be several months before they sign the first document to get this project started.

At this point it is only a discussion, and it just took place. That why I said "putting the cart infront of the buffalo"

It does not really matter what they can do in China. The question is what can be done in Thailand. Real LIfe.

Not sure how much construction you have been involed in. Does not sound like to much.

Reading about it on the internet does not count.

It is obvious you spend all of your time other than in Thailand. Because it is not to hard to figure out how it works here.

I would say 2020 at best for 650kms of high speed rail. That is a very big stretch.

Put it this way. Planning on the new international airport started in 1968. Govt projects in Thailand take some time. You can Wikepdia that one. 8 years to cmplete the rail link to the airport. 5 years to build the kanchanphisek bridge. I believe all way over budjet.

BTW yes I did watch the video on the six day hotel in China. The whole thing was just a stunt. It was just an open steel structure. With the exterior facade installed. Not one floor was pored with concrete not one interior wall was in place. no mechanical system was installed. No plumbing no sewer pipe, toilets or tile.

Watch the video. Not one cement truck to be seen and even at the very end you could see all the way through the building.

As with all construction there is alot you dont see. And this building being no different than any other.

The foundation and underground utilities took 3 months. The prefabrication of all the steel structure, floor pans interior and exterior walls was another 6 months. And god only knows how long it took the to PLAN and COORDINATE this sherade.

Edited by dcutman

Cheers, Rick

It is my understanding they are going to build a new line not just put faster trains on existing rails.

For that matter could existing rails handle the higher speeds?B)

The plan right now is for three major lines: one that connects Beijing  to London via the Channel Tunnel (or Chunnel) and continues on to  Singapore; a second line that covers Malaysia, Burma, Vietnam, and  Thailand; and a third that would bridge China, Russia and Germany to  other European railways. And, just when you thought it wouldn't get  crazier: China wants to get this done in the next 10 years.

http://dvice.com/arc...a-plans-mas.php

LaoPo

This really is a laugh a line stuff. Negotiations with the European Governments who will be involved were mooted in March of this year. I have not seen anything in the UK papers or on BBC about progressing this idea.  Given the economic downturn I would not expect much at all  to happen for a year or five.

I just love the thought that there will be a direct line to London from Beijing which then continues on to Singapore. Has anybody thought of providing the Chinese with an atlas?

Then just for laughs the Chinese will build a railway passing through Thailand and Malaysia but not going on to Singapore. Am I to suppose that if I am in Beijing and want to go to Singapore I have to go via St. Pancras? 

The jackpot is hit with the third scheme to drive a railroad through Russia (the alternative was through India!!!) to connect with the European rail system which does not apparently include the UK. 

I'm already thinking that someone is crazy but getting all this done in 10 years?  Insanity.  

It is my understanding they are going to build a new line not just put faster trains on existing rails.

For that matter could existing rails handle the higher speeds?B)

All the searches about this show that the new lines will be built alongside. This is the issue I don't understand.

http://www.asianewsnet.net/home/news.php?id=14173

The entire project, from Nong Khai to Bangkok and Rayong, and from Bangkok to Padang Besar, will cost almost Bt350 billion. The railway tracks will be built in parallel with existing tracks, but with a wider gauge of 1.4 metres, instead of the current gauge of 1 metre.

This seems completely impossible logistically, but lets wait and see. Would make a hell of a lot more sense to skirt the edges of the major cities on the way and build new stations. If they want to take the trains into the centres of the cities parallel to the old lines, they are going to have to move a hell of a lot of people. There are people living literally metres from these lines in some places. You want a 150kmh train going through existing habitation?

The plan right now is for three major lines: one that connects Beijing to London via the Channel Tunnel (or Chunnel) and continues on to Singapore; a second line that covers Malaysia, Burma, Vietnam, and Thailand; and a third that would bridge China, Russia and Germany to other European railways. And, just when you thought it wouldn't get crazier: China wants to get this done in the next 10 years.

LaoPo

This really is a laugh a line stuff. Negotiations with the European Governments who will be involved were mooted in March of this year. I have not seen anything in the UK papers or on BBC about progressing this idea. Given the economic downturn I would not expect much at all to happen for a year or five.

I just love the thought that there will be a direct line to London from Beijing which then continues on to Singapore. Has anybody thought of providing the Chinese with an atlas?

Then just for laughs the Chinese will build a railway passing through Thailand and Malaysia but not going on to Singapore. Am I to suppose that if I am in Beijing and want to go to Singapore I have to go via St. Pancras?

The jackpot is hit with the third scheme to drive a railroad through Russia (the alternative was through India!!!) to connect with the European rail system which does not apparently include the UK.

I'm already thinking that someone is crazy but getting all this done in 10 years? Insanity.

I tried my best to figure out the lines they were talking about but it made little sense.

How is the line going from Beijing to Singapore different from the line going through Thailand and Malaysia.

That's probably a complete misunderstanding from the journalist.

The way I understand would be:

• One line Singapore-London through India then... either central Asia/easter Europe or Middle-east and southern Europe, connecting to Eurorail in France.
  • One Line Beijing-Singapore through Viietnam, Lao, Thailand, Malaysia
  • One line Beijing-London through Moscow, Eastern Europe and connects to Eurorail in Germany

The first line sounds extremely difficult to make a reality. Whatever the direction, you'll have to go through very difficult countries (think Iran, Afghanistan) and quite a lot of mountains.

Economically, a "fast-speed" (150 km/h) railway for merchandise trains on those lines would be more viable.

China good at everything? You ask any mainland chinese about their products and they would tell you it's crap. They try not to take their own airline, because it's unsafe, i would rather drive instead of taking this high speed train...

@ LaoPo Since you have worked with chinese companies on a daily basis, you would know what they do to make money. SUch as adding melamine to animal food and baby milk so that it would show a high content of protein.

How is china more technologically more advance than Germany, France and Japan? They got help from Siemens, Bombardier and other countries to help develop the rails and rolling stock.

Forgot to mention. The Hongzhou transport hub is a great idea. Al forms of transport are in one places making it very easy to get anywhere in China. This is located at the Shanghai domestic airport and from landing there you can get the high speed train, normal train, underground, long and short distance buses and taxis. Now wouldn't it be great if they did something similar at Suwanabhumi. You could go anywhere in Thailand from one place, using any kind of transport. It's food for thought.

Cheers, Rick

LaoPo

Ok LaoPo

It does not really matter what they can do in China. The question is what can be done in Thailand. Real LIfe.

That's what I said ;)

It doesn't matter where I am or where I go. I came to Thailand more than 30 years for the first time and the same for China and coming and going ever since.

I did my steps here and there, including in Canada and the US where I also built my companies.

I have been around a bit ;)

LaoPo

Forgot to mention. The Hongzhou transport hub is a great idea. Al forms of transport are in one places making it very easy to get anywhere in China. This is located at the Shanghai domestic airport and from landing there you can get the high speed train, normal train, underground, long and short distance buses and taxis. Now wouldn't it be great if they did something similar at Suwanabhumi. You could go anywhere in Thailand from one place, using any kind of transport. It's food for thought.

Cheers, Rick

I agree, but the difference is that these kind of important infrastructures can't be done in Thailand with the same speed as in China....for various reasons.

PS: do you mean the Hangzhou high speed hub to Shanghai vv ?

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

They are great at stealing patents and trade secrets as well. They stole all the bullet train info from the Germans and Japanese.

:lol:..I'm sure you have top-secret information proving so?

But maybe you've never heard of a few mega companies in the train industry in China, like:

China Railway Group Ltd - 273.000 employees - a Hong Kong listed company with a market value of HK$ 115 Billion ?

or

China Railway Construction Ltd - 210.000 employees - a HK listed company with a market value of HK$ 117 Billion ?

How many km/miles of high speed rail tracks are there in Japan...Germany, France, the US, Spain ? Search and you wll find.

I don't blame the ignorant if it comes to info about China other than the media around the world, feeding the same ignorant readers/watchers with a lot of crap; that mis-information is mainly because of fear and non-understanding of the Chinese mind and extremele hard working population. The media just focus of what's wrong in China (and that's a lot) but the poor journalists, sent or not to China by their bosses only report what the west want to "eat...to swallow"....think of that!

At the same time China is developing with the speed of ultra sound and I blame the leaders of the west that they still think of the west as being superior to Asia.

That..........that is a big mistake!

Tonight I watched an amazing documentary* about healthcare in India (and heart surgery in particular) and I was completely flabbergasted how FAR they are in comparison to the west.

In the west a high qualified Heart-Surgeon does at his maximum a number of 3.000 (!) heart surgeries in his active Surgeon lifetime.

In this particular hospital in India a Surgeon in his 30's has done that number of 3.000already. This particular Chief Surgeon did already more than 25.000 heart surgeries and I don't know his age but I estimate him at around 45 to 50.

The rich in India pay around US$ 2.500 for a heart surgery..in the US that's close to $ 100.000.

In the US, special clinics for heart surgery do around 200 heart surgeries per year; in this clinic in India they do 600 to 700 PER MONTH..

In India they deliver 30.000 doctors per year which will increase to 100.000 doctors per year; Karnataka state in India trains more nurses per year than in the entire US;

* if you're interested, watch this (in English) and scroll to min: 25:33 and further at 31:30; completely unbelievable..but true!!

http://beta.uitzendi...enzeloze-leider

I only posted this (off topic) to show there's more to Asia than the info many are fed with

LaoPo

The plan right now is for three major lines: one that connects Beijing to London via the Channel Tunnel (or Chunnel) and continues on to Singapore; a second line that covers Malaysia, Burma, Vietnam, and Thailand; and a third that would bridge China, Russia and Germany to other European railways. And, just when you thought it wouldn't get crazier: China wants to get this done in the next 10 years.

LaoPo

This really is a laugh a line stuff. Negotiations with the European Governments who will be involved were mooted in March of this year. I have not seen anything in the UK papers or on BBC about progressing this idea. Given the economic downturn I would not expect much at all to happen for a year or five.

I'm already thinking that someone is crazy but getting all this done in 10 years? Insanity.

When you're finished laughing you might want to think that 5 or 10 years is a small grain of sand in Asian history. Asians and Chinese think in generations and future and not alike the western impatient human beings in NOW...

Even if a train link from Beiing to London would do only 150km/hr the job would be done in some 3 days. Can anyone imagine the time and money, saved for goods, shipped to Europe (and even onwards to the US by ship) ?

It would save 4 weeks of container-freight trips to Europe and 2-3 weeks saving time to the East Coast of the US if loaded from London or Rotterdam.

Watch and see it happen. The Chinese think far more ahead the future than most western minds

Only negative minds will never accomplish great success of their own. ;)

LaoPo

China good at everything? You ask any mainland chinese about their products and they would tell you it's crap. They try not to take their own airline, because it's unsafe, i would rather drive instead of taking this high speed train...

@ LaoPo Since you have worked with chinese companies on a daily basis, you would know what they do to make money. SUch as adding melamine to animal food and baby milk so that it would show a high content of protein.

How is china more technologically more advance than Germany, France and Japan? They got help from Siemens, Bombardier and other countries to help develop the rails and rolling stock.

:lol:..another ignorant poster. So..what do Chinese buy than in your opinion...1.335.000.000 people if they think everything is crap ? Ever been in China?

They try not to take their own airlines because they're unsafe ?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.ever been on any Chinese airport ? Do you know how many US and EU planes they bought and all these planes are unsafe ? Don't make me laugh anymore will you please; my belly hurts :lol:

But, I agree, I'm saddened and angry also to people and companies who are corrupt or do dispicable things with their products and food. IMO ? put them in jail for the rest of their lives since that's the only thing they're scared of and the government DOES put them in jail, if not worse.

I didn't say that China is more technologically advanced than Germany France, the US or any other country. I didn't claim so nor said so.

You guys seem to think that EVERYTHING was done and built with help from other western countries but that's far from the truth.

Maybe study and read a bit more, also from other sources than your own country's media ?

LaoPo

Cheers, Rick

I agree, but the difference is that these kind of important infrastructures can't be done in Thailand with the same speed as in China....for various reasons.

PS: do you mean the Hangzhou high speed hub to Shanghai vv ?

LaoPo

Hong chow is the hub in Shanghai Laopo. Bad spelling on my behalf.

Rick