Talk About Skyrocketing Prices ?

ThePunPun

Been out of the loop for a short time, but coming back into the loop is somewhat shocking.

I also read the other day that the gov't put a ceiling on pork at 170 baht per kilo

Was not too long ago that pork was 80 baht per kilo

Gonzo

The increases in the moo price apparently the result of disease decimating the pork industry all over Asia. On top of that a 20% price rise in feed. It has been said that a new crop of piglets is on the way which should lower prices in the near future. Let's hope.

Blue-Ear Pig Disease Strikes in Thailand Again

THAILAND - Pig producers expect the present high pork prices to come down over the next six months as new pigs entering the market make up for the present shortfall being blamed on a virus.

They said porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome (PRRS), also known as blue-ear pig disease, has reduced output, pushing retail pork prices to a record high of 160 baht a kilogramme from an average of 90-100 baht last year.

The PRRS virus causes reproductive failure in breeding stock and respiratory tract illness in young pigs. It has hit Asia including Thailand hard since last year.

Swine output in Thailand is expected to fall by 30 per cent this year from a previously estimated 12 million animals.

Surachai Sutthitham, president of the Swine Raisers Association of Thailand, said the local industry had also been affected by other ailments including porcine epidemic diarrhoea and foot-and-mouth disease.

As well, the hotter weather alone has shaved 14.5 per cent off average daily production of 38,000 animals, he said.

http://www.thepigsite.com/swinenews/27221/blueear-pig-disease-strikes-in-thailand-again

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...The increases in the moo price apparently the result of disease decimating the pork industry all over Asia. On top of that a 20% price rise in feed. It has been said that a new crop of piglets is on the way which should lower prices in the near future. Let's hope.

I read it was the female breeding pigs that were in short supply. Maybe Thailand should consider importing from the UK as there doesn't seem to be a shortage there.

...The increases in the moo price apparently the result of disease decimating the pork industry all over Asia. On top of that a 20% price rise in feed. It has been said that a new crop of piglets is on the way which should lower prices in the near future. Let's hope.

I read it was the female breeding pigs that were in short supply. Maybe Thailand should consider importing from the UK as there doesn't seem to be a shortage there.

I prefer the female breeding stock from Thailand over the female breeding stock from the UK but that is just my humble opinion.

Edited by BuckarooBanzai

Been out of the loop for a short time, but coming back into the loop is somewhat shocking.

Anyone have examples of rather sharp increases in food prices.

I did think that the gov't put a price ceiling on eggs a short while back.

Same shop, same size eggs and rack of 30 eggs:

July 1, 11, 95 baht per rack of 30

August 1,11, 98 baht per rack of 30

August 10, 11,105 baht per rack of 30

quite a good percent increase in just 40 days

I also read the other day that the gov't put a ceiling on pork at 170 baht per kilo

Was not too long ago that pork was 80 baht per kilo

Does make it difficult keeping a stable menu price.

On another topic,,,,,,thanks to all who PM'd and posted their kind thoughts and best wishes over the past couple months.... big sincere thank you

Gonzo

Nice to see you up and running again Gonzo....stay well.

The price of bloody pork, its all I hear about nowadays. I'm off pork for now, its banned from my house. Apparently there's no way anyone would be stupid enough to pay the current price for pork, so all that pork in the market has been sat there for at least a week and will make me sick.

I think I need to do the shopping myself for the foreseeable future.

pork shoulder 135 kilo @ Big C yesterday

On promotion at 112 kilo' last friday in Tesco. You should have seen the stampede! I noticed Cooking Oil at 37 baht in Big C Hang Dong this week so I think the big Oil rip off is calming down. They've been taking big margins on the Oil shortage for far too long.

Edited by trainman34014

• 1 month later...

Went to buy eggs only to find them closed - well not selling eggs any way.

Apparently "big companies" were pressurizing them for selling their eggs too cheaply and in some way "forcing" them to sell their eggs to them, so they could resell at a higher cost.

This is the second/third time its happened to them. After a while , I guess when no one is checking, things go back to normal.

For those who think the big names are into selling cheap food for the consumer forget it. All they want to do is force out the small guy so they can screw the producer and the customer.

• 2 months later...

Just by way of update on this...... not only are prices going up, due to the floods, or maybe not, too many things seem to be getting scarce

We all know now about the Singha Products, and the diet colas being non existant, but other products seem to be missing for some reason.

With regard to skyrocketing prices check this one out....

I now agree that "Butter is Better" and not only that , its cheaper.

A 5 Kg block of butter in 625 baht per the block, or 125 baht per kilo.

Best Foods 2 kg., little pail of margarine is now 265 for the 2 k pail, and it was as late as mid January of this year, 199 baht per the same size pail container. That increase of 66 baht is about a 33% increase in 11 months.

This equates to about 133 baht per kilo.

So Butter is not only better, its also cheaper.

Anybody else have input?

G

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Just by way of update on this...... not only are prices going up, due to the floods, or maybe not, too many things seem to be getting scarce

We all know now about the Singha Products, and the diet colas being non existant, but other products seem to be missing for some reason.

With regard to skyrocketing prices check this one out....

I now agree that "Butter is Better" and not only that , its cheaper.

A 5 Kg block of butter in 625 baht per the block, or 125 baht per kilo.

Best Foods 2 kg., little pail of margarine is now 265 for the 2 k pail, and it was as late as mid January of this year, 199 baht per the same size pail container. That increase of 66 baht is about a 33% increase in 11 months.

This equates to about 133 baht per kilo.

So Butter is not only better, its also cheaper.

Anybody else have input?

G

I only buy the 454g size Best Foods Marg' which is normally 65-67 Baht, but this week in Big C Extra it was on special at 63 and placed in the cabinet for Farang type foods away from its normal display area. Can't say I've noticed a dramatic price increase in this size for the last year or so but I don't watch the bigger buckets. As for butter, I normally use the butter blend spread which is cheaper and works perfectly well for baking.

My best most recent example of rocketing prices is nothing to do with floods, short supply etc. At the Deli Counter, top end of Rimping Nim City, near the butchery department, where to be fair, they have some pretty good products a single slice of Quiche recently went up from 80 baht to 125 baht!! The reason I know it was 80 is because Kasem Store Nimmanhamin sell a similar quality similar size slice for I think 75 Baht, and the two used to be equally competitive.

I am a grown man, and yes, I do love Quiche, but not from the Rimping Deli at 125 baht a slice.......and by the way, its not a very big slice either!!

gonzo.

re .. Anybody else have input?

airport rimping lasagna went from 85 baht in nov 10

to 95 baht in feb 11 and then to 110 baht in june 11 and its still that now

but it used to almost fill the box ... the portions now been cut down so much that ive stopped buying it

dave2

post-42592-0-62953000-1323869660_thumb.j

post-42592-0-14616400-1323869680_thumb.j

post-42592-0-41279000-1323869714_thumb.j

pork shoulder 135 kilo @ Big C yesterday

On promotion at 112 kilo' last friday in Tesco. You should have seen the stampede! I noticed Cooking Oil at 37 baht in Big C Hang Dong this week so I think the big Oil rip off is calming down. They've been taking big margins on the Oil shortage for far too long.

Switch to rice bran oil - it is 59 Bt a litre at Makro (60 Baht a litre if you buy a box of 12! :o) but is healthier and tastes better.

Domestic property rentals and utilities are certainly cheap compared to the UK, food prices are cheap here as long as you keep to buying seasonal locally grown produce, add a litre of olive oil and a box of mont clair wine and a few other luxuries in your shopping basket and see your shopping bill double.

I've been living fairly frugally for the last couple of months and as a family of four we have managed on around 32,000 a month, that excludes school fees and we own our house,I'd be pushing it to survive on less than 100,000 in the UK.

My god...

100K is approx 2000 pounds. to get that after tax you would have to be on nearly 50,000 a year and that is double what most people get

went shopping in rimping the other day and our usual twin-pack of duang dee hilltribe coffee had gone up from 170b to 209b in the space of the last fortnight. that was a bit of a shock.

I noticed that too :( I decided to try Moccona @ 88 Baht for a pack and I don't like it at all. I guess I'll be paying the higher price for Duang Dee. I really like that coffee a lot.

Took a case of 24-empties back to my local shop in Mae-Jo, and was told 145B (instead of the usual 120B), for a case of Nam-Soda, that's only a 20% price-hike, hope it's only temporary as I drink a lot of that stuff in the hot-season ! :blink:

Edited by Ricardo

Supply chains were cut off during the floods, now that they are able to deliver - the demand is back up, and shelves have to be restocked, creating an artificial up trend in the market.

Basic economics, when demand is up increase the price to maximize revenue.

Domestic property rentals and utilities are certainly cheap compared to the UK, food prices are cheap here as long as you keep to buying seasonal locally grown produce, add a litre of olive oil and a box of mont clair wine and a few other luxuries in your shopping basket and see your shopping bill double.

I've been living fairly frugally for the last couple of months and as a family of four we have managed on around 32,000 a month, that excludes school fees and we own our house,I'd be pushing it to survive on less than 100,000 in the UK.

My god...

100K is approx 2000 pounds. to get that after tax you would have to be on nearly 50,000 a year and that is double what most people get

If you are working and have 2 kids in the UK your guaranteed income is 15k (after deductions)

Whatever you earn is topped up with child tax credit to that amount.

Looking back at the threads discussing how much people have to live on in Chiang Mai, I wouldn't have thought these price increases would bother those high rollers one iota. Of course those of cheap charlie fame (including myself) would prefer that prices didn't increase, but hey, use local markets for your fruit and veg and it's still very cheap. The history of those shiny spotless fruits and veg that catch your eye as you walk in some supermarkets, could fill a whole toxicology textbook.

use local markets for your fruit and veg and it's still very cheap.

Strangely enough, I often find my local day-market in Mae-Jo more expensive than Tesco-Lotus or Big-C, at least for things like spuds or carrots or onions. But perhaps it's the 'farang-factor'. Must remember to smile & poot-Thai more when shopping !

use local markets for your fruit and veg and it's still very cheap.

Strangely enough, I often find my local day-market in Mae-Jo more expensive than Tesco-Lotus or Big-C, at least for things like spuds or carrots or onions. But perhaps it's the 'farang-factor'. Must remember to smile & poot-Thai more when shopping !

OK I will concede on the spuds, they normally don't have many as they're not a Thai thing, but I'm surprised at other things. I'll give you an example, but can't give you exact directions.

However, imagine drawing a line between Hang Dong Road before Big C heading toward HD and just past the or ba dor on Padad (river road). Slap bang in the middle is a market M,W,Sat all local produce, which changes with the season. Bags of onions, tomatoes, 5 Baht. All Thai veg same about 5 baht. Things like cauliflower and broccoli are more, but still very cheap, loads of green leafy veg. Lovely big Bananas 25 Baht a doz, big papaya 25 baht, this week a guy had apples 5 baht each. It's only a small market, but big enough to get the fruit and veg I want. I'm waiting for the strawberry lady to appear and buy loads to freeze.

And you don't need to speak Thai and you won't get charged more because you are a farang.

Edited by uptheos

I think the title of this thread "sky rocketing prices" is rather extreme .There is no doubt prices of some goods have edged up for a variety of reasons. But as Uptheos said there are bargain places to shop out there you just have to be a bit more pro active in finding them. Frankly I'm embarrassed when we buy a bag of tomatoes ,onions etc for 5 baht I wonder what the grower gets. Finally if you thing things are getting expensive here take a visit back to your own country..it will blow your mind.

I think the title of this thread "sky rocketing prices" is rather extreme .There is no doubt prices of some goods have edged up for a variety of reasons. But as Uptheos said there are bargain places to shop out there you just have to be a bit more pro active in finding them. Frankly I'm embarrassed when we buy a bag of tomatoes ,onions etc for 5 baht I wonder what the grower gets. Finally if you thing things are getting expensive here take a visit back to your own country..it will blow your mind.

i got 3 avacados for a bunch of bananas today, that price seems to hold steady ;)

D

i got 3 avacados for a bunch of bananas today, that price seems to hold steady ;)

D

I asked one girl how much were her coconutz? the price seemed the usual :P

D

Nothing wrong with the barter system. :lol: