Lending Issue, Advice Needed

nikkoid66

no, anyone lending money to a thai girlfriend and expecting it back, HE should be ashamed of himself for not knowing the rules.

Lend means give.

time and money are both vague notions in the mind of many thais. This is a legitimate observation based on nearly 5 years living among these people. arrange a time, don't expect them to be there. lend money, don't expect to get it back. This is the way of the Thai.

seems he knew the rules when dealing with Thai and wrote it out in a contract

the fact that you think its ok to steal the money says more about you than it does about Thai's.......

If he knew the rules, he'd know that his "contract" was null and void as he lacked the legal means to enter into such a contract by way of not having a license, work permit or even appropriate visa.

But thanks for playing. :D

Does your lack of consideration of the above points speak to your own sense of fiscal responsibility? :unsure:

No, but the fact that you think its ok to try to renege on a deal that you put your word to and signed to in a contract , speaks volumes about you...........

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised at the number of posters advocating ripping the Farang off by not paying the loan back.

As Jurgen points out, she is doing something positive in trying to honour the debt and pay the money back and not be the stereotypical devious Thai lady ripping off the poor innocent Farang that so many posters love to deride.

Polonius , a senile old fool who keeps on giving dumb advises ...

Maybe, but at least he was man enough to apologize to Ophelia when he realized he had been wrong about Hamlet all along; not exactly a characteristic of the usual agitator of misinformation and otherwise utterly deceptive twaddle speak and self-made up <deleted> we see so much of here on TV, is it (no names needed, we all know who I mean, dont we)..!?

a senile old fool who keeps on giving dumb advises ...

Like if we needed one more here :rolleyes::)

I have to give it to you - you finally got something right!

:clap2::cheesy:

People here seem to see only the dark side of every story.

She's trying to pay back, isn't it a positive point?

She say's she cant pay, doesn't she?

Keep in mind there are planty of countries where not being able to pay back can result in imprisonment. If she can't pay back it means there's a dark side to the story. Personally, I dont have any loans other than what I ramp up monthly using my AMEX card, but I have hunch even AMEX would smile if I first didn't pay a then called them up and asked them to see the bright side "at least I'm TRYING to pay back, isn't that a positive point..!"

Curtains...

Note that I confirm that she pays and will pay... she just truggle a lot to pay back and I think that when you f.ck a girl for free and get a lot from her like this guy did (use her as your secretary without paying her etc...) then you could lend money at no interest rate, as a friend.

These are my values.

OP. Having reread the thread I notice your gf is paying and will continue to pay her debt. I admire your gf morals. As your gf has a reasonable income from her job, maybe she could approach a bank for a loan obviously giving her smaller monthly repayments.

As for those posters saying pay back nothing as he's acting illegally, consider a few points. The gf could have borrowed from a local shark at similar or more likely higher rates. Falling behind in her payments could results in anything from threats to a severe beating or worse. There are times, at least for me, where the moral right out ways the legality of a situation.

i guess you should pay the farang off at the rate your gf agreed in the 1st place, and charge your gf at a interest free rate for her to repay you.

it is if you trust her. and she is not a scam, being tagged team with the farang for that 50k thb.

she agreed to the terms and conditions b4 making the loan. so as to say, she has to pay what she agreed to.

there you have 2 choice:

1. pay.

pay the farang off at the rate your gf agreed in the 1st place, and charge your gf at a interest free rate for her to repay you

pros: the gf will be really grateful.

cons: she may leave you as soon as u pay off her loan.

2. not pay:

do the above-mentioned posts; for example, change the phone no., contact the police, whatever. and therefore standing at the position of not paying.

pros: you save 50k thb

cons: the gf may leave you as you cant give her 50k thb for nothing.

you will end up being an in-honorable scam who help a fraud to cheat 50k thb off another farang,

no, anyone lending money to a thai girlfriend and expecting it back, HE should be ashamed of himself for not knowing the rules.

Lend means give.

time and money are both vague notions in the mind of many thais. This is a legitimate observation based on nearly 5 years living among these people. arrange a time, don't expect them to be there. lend money, don't expect to get it back. This is the way of the Thai.

the fact that you think its ok to steal the money says more about you than it does about Thai's.......

If he knew the rules, he'd know that his "contract" was null and void as he lacked the legal means to enter into such a contract by way of not having a license, work permit or even appropriate visa.

Does your lack of consideration of the above points speak to your own sense of fiscal responsibility? :unsure:

No, but the fact that you think its ok to try to renege on a deal that you put your word to and signed to in a contract , speaks volumes about you...........

You are right, it says, when I have realised I have been extorted, and despite that realization have tried to find an amicable middle road to restore both parties interests and dignity, I shall feel within my rights to use what laws and practices exist to remedy the situation expeditiously.

If you think this is unfair then I guess you would be the kind of guy that never batted an eyelid over "miss-sold" financial products in the west. You probably think those people all made their bed and should lie in it.

Well, I confess to being a little more realistic about my lot in life. If that offends you, so be it.

Lend means give.

You are right, it says, when I have realised I have been extorted, and despite that realization have tried to find an amicable middle road to restore both parties interests and dignity, I shall feel within my rights to use what laws and practices exist to remedy the situation expeditiously.

If you think this is unfair then I guess you would be the kind of guy that never batted an eyelid over "miss-sold" financial products in the west. You probably think those people all made their bed and should lie in it.

Well, I confess to being a little more realistic about my lot in life. If that offends you, so be it.

we are all intelligent beings who have opportunities to make choices, good or bad

having made a choice and given your word upon it, i believe you have a moral obligation to stick to your word

it is my choice not to respect those people who do not think the same and feel differently about matters of personal integrity and honour

i think a person whose word is no good, is no good

that's my choice, if that offends you, then so be it

Edited by timekeeper

You should let her pay back the loan and stay out of the case. If you pay the loan she will just do the same another time. She have to learn it the hard way, never to borrow money in Thailand, except from a bank. It could also be a scheme to set you up and she just returns to the ex after you paid the loan. You can never know for sure. This is Thailand.

offended? Moi? Jamais!

aig_bonuses_cartoon.jpg

Tres ammusant, all the same but, save the moral outrage for things that really matter. ;)

in my life integrity, honour and morality are not commodities of a variable value to exercise dependent on circumstances

if they are flexible in yours then that's your choice.......

ps as you seem to fancy yourself as a cunning linguist, its actually tres amusant with only one 'm'

offended? Moi? Jamais!

aig_bonuses_cartoon.jpg

Tres ammusant, all the same but, save the moral outrage for things that really matter. ;)

in my life integrity, honour and morality are not commodities of a variable value to exercise dependent on circumstances

ps as you seem to fancy yourself as a cunning linguist, its actually tres amusant with only one 'm'

honour actually spells "honor"...

offended? Moi? Jamais!

aig_bonuses_cartoon.jpg

only to an American whose countrymen bastardised the ENGLISH language we gave you

offended? Moi? Jamais!

aig_bonuses_cartoon.jpg

only to an American whose countrymen bastardised the ENGLISH language we gave you

honor is actually a latin word, it spells "honoris"... Edited by Forethat

This guy is a farang, he has a tourist visa and is asking for the money she cannot payback.

So, in conclusion: tell her to <deleted> and pay back the money she borrowed - according to terms and conditions she agreed - and while she's at it tell her to ask her boyfriend to stop moaning about it on the internet.

Another happy customer...

:mfr_closed1:

Seems like YOU should read what is written.

The guy making the loan doesn't want to honour the contract and wants the money back all in 1 go which she cannot pay back, but she can and does pay the interest.

Edited by PattayaParent

offended? Moi? Jamais!

honor is actually a latin word, it spells "honoris"...

in the English language HONOUR is the favoured spelling

Websters English dictionary states that it was first used in English literature before the year 1010

so the spelling Honour in English-English pre dates Honor used in American-English by some 600-700 years

Edited by timekeeper

we are all intelligent beings who have opportunities to make choices, good or bad

having made a choice and given your word upon it, i believe you have a moral obligation to stick to your word

it is my choice not to respect those people who do not think the same and feel differently about matters of personal integrity and honour

i think a person whose word is no good, is no good

that's my choice, if that offends you, then so be it

I wholeheartedly agree.

The guy making the loan doesn't want to honour the contract and wants the money back all in 1 go which she cannot pay back, but she can and does pay the interest.

Contrary to yourself (evidently), I actually did. If you want to I can remind you what actually WAS written. Here it goes:
My Girlfriend's ex-boyfriend has lent some money to her at an excessive rate (5%/month).

This guy is a farang, he has a tourist visa and is asking for the money she cannot payback.

Actually she need to pay him back almost all her salary every month and the guy don't want to negociate anything...he just want the money back and is very upset.

It is obvious (to the point of being over clear) that the issue here is that the OP describes an excessive interest rate as being the problem. So far there has been no mentioning of foreclosing the loan, something I'm sure the OP and more or less every single reader of this thread can confirm.

If the OPs girlfriend wants to pursue the agreed interest rate as being illegal I'm sure there are other options, but there has been no mentioning that the creditor (farang or not) is foreclosing the loan, which in my opinion would be remarkable, but a possibility since we dont know the terms of the contract.

You want to re-read one more time...and one more time.......and one more time....?

:D

Edited by Forethat

in the English language HONOUR is the favoured spelling

Websters English dictionary states that it was first used in English literature before the year 1010

so the spelling Honour in English-English pre dates Honor used in American-English by some 600-700 years

Granted - I stand corrected.

It is obvious (to the point of being over clear) that the issue here is that the OP describes an excessive interest rate as being the problem. So far there has been no mentioning of foreclosing the loan, something I'm sure the OP and more or less every single reader of this thread can confirm.

I would suggest the OP has more issues than just interest rates to deal with.

Time Keeper,

If your honour demands that you concede to being extorted, you have a different sense of honour than I. I find that if I have been reasonable and another party has been unreasonable then I must find a solution that fits the circumstances.

You sound like the sort of chap that would have lasted about 5 minutes in a Sopwith Camel because the Fokker tri plane was able to out maneuver you and so it was a fair kill. A more reasonable pilot might use the speed of the camel against the fokker and fly him into the sun, and an oncoming fellow brit could gut him like a fish!

Darwinian survival theory is not to be sniffed at. You sound like you have French blood*. :whistling:

*jus' kidding. ;)

Edited by Loz

I would suggest the OP has more issues than just interest rates to deal with.

he has indeed

Time Keeper,

If your honour demands that you concede to being extorted, you have a different sense of honour than I. I find that if I have been reasonable and another party has been unreasonable then I must find a solution that fits the circumstances.

You sound like the sort of chap that would have lasted about 5 minutes in a Sopwith Camel because the Fokker tri plane was able to out maneuver you and so it was a fair kill. A more reasonable pilot might use the speed of the camel against the fokker and fly him into the sun, and an oncoming fellow brit could gut him like a fish!

Darwinian survival theory is not to be sniffed at. You sound like you have French blood*. :whistling:

*jus' kidding. ;)

i would not have been extorted had i accepted this loan and neither was she.

no-one made her take the money, but i accept extraordinary circumstances may have made her accept it

one presumes she had no one else to turn to and asked her ex boyfriend to loan her the money

they agreed terms in writing, she made an informed choice, she accepted the terms of the loan, now she must abide by them.

anything else is just wrong in my book

as to French blood 'tis thee who quotes incorrectly spelled French not i........

i see from your history you have said before:

''Yorkshire born, Yorkshire bred.

Strong in't arm, thik in't hed! ''

your explanation of your birthplace explains a lot.........

A Yorkshireman's dog dies and he decides to have a gold statue made to remember the dog by

So he goes to a jewelers and sez "Can tha mek us a gold statue of yon dog?"

Jeweller sez "Aye lad does tha want it 18 carat?"

Yorkshireman sez "Nay, I want it chewin' a bone, yer <deleted>

Yorkshire man takes his cat to the vet.

Yorkshireman sez "Ayup, lad, I need to talk to thee abaht me cat."

Vet sez "Is it a tom ?"

Yorkshireman sez Nay lad ah've browt it wi' us."

Bloke from Barnsley with a sore backside asks chemist "Nah then lad, does tha sell arse cream?"

Chemist sez "Aye, does tha want a Magnum or a Cornetto

A Yorkshireman's wife dies and he decides that her headstone should have the words "She were Thine" engraved on it.

He calls the stone mason, who assures him that the headstone will be ready a few days after the funeral.

True to his word the stone mason calls the widower to say that the headstone is ready and would he like to come and have a look.

When the widower gets there he takes one look at the stone to see that it's been engraved "She were Thin".

He explodes - "Sodding eck man, tha's left t' flamin' "e" out!

The stone mason apologizes and assures the poor widower that it will be rectified the following morning.

Next day comes and the widower returns to the stone mason - "There you go sir, I've put the "e" on the stone for you".

The widower looks at the stone and then reads out aloud - "E, She were Thin".

Edited by timekeeper

Contrary to yourself (evidently), I actually did. If you want to I can remind you what actually WAS written. Here it goes:
My Girlfriend's ex-boyfriend has lent some money to her at an excessive rate (5%/month).

Actually she need to pay him back almost all her salary every month and the guy don't want to negociate anything...he just want the money back and is very upset.

If the OPs girlfriend wants to pursue the agreed interest rate as being illegal I'm sure there are other options, but there has been no mentioning that the creditor (farang or not) is foreclosing the loan, which in my opinion would be remarkable, but a possibility since we dont know the terms of the contract.

You want to re-read one more time...and one more time.......and one more time....?

I can only assume that English is not your native language, or that you failed English comprehension at school.

Hang on, I see you're American, that would explain it then.

offended? Moi? Jamais!

aig_bonuses_cartoon.jpg

which the Germanic peoples and the French gave to you :lol:

which the Germanic peoples and the French gave to you :lol:

agreed but it was refined by the best scholars in England to become the language spoken in the most countries

Edited by timekeeper

I can only assume that English is not your native language, or that you failed English comprehension at school.

Hang on, I see you're American, that would explain it then.

For someone who claims to know English it becomes even more embarrasing when you continue to pursue something so obvious even a non-english speaker (or american) native doesn't have a problem with this.

Read again.

:lol: :lol:

PS.

Anyone ever told you about English arrogancy and inability to admit being wrong..? I thought so.

Edited by Forethat

I cannot find a definition of extortion which includes purely leading money at a high interest rate without the threat of harm...

In fact the only reference i found to extortion and money lending was:

The term extortion is often used metaphorically to refer to usury or to price-gouging, though neither is legally considered extortion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extortion

Yet you seem to be saying just because the Ex BF lent money at an illegal high interest rate he is therefore guilty of extortion, but this appears to be incorrect.

Obviously if one was actually extorted (ie "borrow this money at 50% interest or i'll break your arm") then i don't think anyone would consider it "dishonorable" to renege on the loan, but seeing as that is not the case here it seems a moot point.

And even if the GF was in a very tight spot needing the money really bad (life or death) unless the Ex BF put her in that situation it still wouldn't be extortion.

Why not volunteer to pay the interest every month for your GF?

This way your GF would still honour (English spelling!) the deal she struck with her old BF, and at the same time you would not risk seeing your GF run away as soon as you've coughed up.

Seems like the cheepest non-risk solution to me.