Govt To Support Widespread Use Of 3G, 4G, WiMAX: Abhisit

webfact

Govt to support widespread use of 3G, 4G, WiMAX: Abhisit

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said Monday his government would support the people to have access to wireless broadband connection in form of 3G, 4G and WiMAX data connection.

Giving a speech to launch the Thailand International Creative Economy Forum (TICEF) at Grand Hyatt CentralWorld, Abhisit said his government would implement the proposal of the national broadband committee to ensure that general people have access to wireless broadband connection and make use of it.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-29

Wouldn't that be fantastic? I wonder what he means by "support"?

Unfortunately I don't believe much will change in Land of Scams/Lack of Sanctions = LOS. This country is great for TALK. Not so when actions are suggested. Pity b/c the average Thai really deserves better.

EDGE which is already here is supposed to be able to deliver 256 kbps. It actually delivers about 10% of that. If they could just get what they have to work I'd be quite pleased, never mind future fantasies.

That's not the Thais' doing, that's just EDGE which basically doesn't deliver it's theoretical max. speed most of the time. Same with 3G - stick too many people on it, and it doesn't take that many, really, and it starts breaking down. See the USA / AT&T. The only reason it works here in the LOS - Chiang Mai True 3G - is because they didn't sell so many iPhones.

Delusions of 3G replacing the need for DSL - are therefore laughable.

Abhisit needs to get TOT and CAT out of the way - seems like a herculean task to me.

Well, if it's the same kind of "support" provided to date in getting 3G licenses issued (you saw how that turned out), then we still have a l.......o........n.........g wait. Just more political talk which when combined with about 30 baht will get you a bowl of noodles.

I am sure the Government looks forward to faster Internet speeds that will allow the thousands it employs and the Billions it chooses to spend in watching what Thai children post on Facebook pages, reading our texts and blogs and turning Thailand into a non discussion or debating society.

Whilst at the same time it limits, restricts and blocks the Thai peoples open access to information, advice and comment on the web for its own purposes and that of the military.

But dont worry, 3/4G will be a service that is another Thai "Elite" owned and run business. So as normal, that means it will be delievered late, mismanaged, overpriced and of poor quality........"Amazing" Thailand.:jap:

The problem with the speed of all of these is partly due to the number of users but mainly due to the lack of a large high capacity fibre optic backbone through-out the country.

That is mainly down to CAT and TOT.

When you get over that little hurdle the next biggest problem will be the international gateways to the world which strangely enough seem to be controlled by CAT and TOT.

The best solution is to strip them both of all their powers and let the industry run it themselves and build what they need and pay for whatever gateways they want.

Doing that will clear the biggest bottle neck of all.

Will it happen?

Can it happen?

See who has the biggest majority after the next election and if you are lucky you may hear the flying pigs warming up ready for take off.

Or not!

Edited by billd766

I found this on the BBC news website this morning as a comparison with Thailand.

UK lags on broadband and mobile

By Jane Wakefield Technology reporter

Britons love smartphones but have some of the slowest data rates

Continue reading the main story

Related stories

• Can sky-high broadband take off?

• Global broadband divide revealed

• Broadband Britain rollout delayed

Only a tiny percentage of UK homes have super-fast broadband and mobile speeds are slow compared to other nations, Ofcom has revealed.

In its annual International Communications Market report, the regulator said more needed to be done on fixed and mobile broadband.

Less than 1% of UK homes have super-fast broadband, compared to over a third of Japanese consumers.

Next-generation mobile services have yet to roll out in the UK.

Rest of the story is here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11889302

After applying for a landline in 2003 up here in Nakhon Nowhere I am still waiting and the UK is bitching that more needs to be done.

Edited by billd766