Buying A Domain Name

Hikage

Have to agree with the anti GoDaddy sentiment,  their support is shocking and has anyone tried to transfer a domain from them? Its probably easier to invite Osama round for tea and get a response.

NetworkSolutions or Registryrocket have always been my prefered domain registrants. I would personally avoid "free hosting" if you want anything near to what you would call a professional website.

Well, I had a lot of dealings with NetSol when they had a monopoly on regos and even now they are still unbeleveably(sp) arrogant.

I would avoid Network Solutions like the plague.

Butterfly, I think you just endeared yourself to all the Mods 55555555

Do you know what a PM means :o

:D

yeah, it looks like it !!! :D

Yeah, NetSol is one evil Registrar. They are VerigSign now right ? when they were a monopoly they were a pain the ass, but you could steal their domain names in a matter of minutes there thanks to their wonderful insecure email system. We would play nasty tricks back then when we were pissed with site owners :D

I never am able to understand why people split hairs over a couple of dollars in reg fees. As for the hosting, there is no such thing as a free ride, so I never would use a free host. Have you ever asked yourself why they do it for free? If you don't know, why are you trusting them with your data?

You can get a decent host for a basic site for about the price of a couple cups of coffee. Best bet if you can is to get a smaller provider you can get on the phone than some behemoth with bugger all support.

cv

I never am able to understand why people split hairs over a couple of dollars in reg fees. As for the hosting, there is no such thing as a free ride, so I never would use a free host. Have you ever asked yourself why they do it for free? If you don't know, why are you trusting them with your data?

You can get a decent host for a basic site for about the price of a couple cups of coffee. Best bet if you can is to get a smaller provider you can get on the phone than some behemoth with bugger all support.

cv

That's exactly why I reg privately with Daddy and then host with 3ix :D

Butterfly, I used to lay in wait for the names to expire at netsol and grab them .... thats how I got yourname, expats, rockandroll, qld, aussies etc.... way back in 99-98 :o

Butterfly, I used to lay in wait for the names to expire at netsol and grab them .... thats how I got yourname, expats, rockandroll, qld, aussies etc.... way back in 99-98  :o

Good names. How much did you sell them for ? (in PM if you do tell me) :D

"Taking" domain names back then was like shooting fish in a barrel :D

You didn't need to wait for the expiration to take over a domain name :D

Edited by Butterfly

ahh...just wish i could go back in time....not much...maybe 9 or 10 years when domain name registration was free....

i was only a kid then,...otherwise maybe could have minted like u guys...

udon: u got any good domain names up yr sleve now? im thinkin of a webmail service.,.PM me in case u got ne...

ahh...just wish i could go back in time....not much...maybe 9 or 10 years when domain name registration was free....

i was only a kid then,...otherwise maybe could have minted like u guys...

udon: u got any good domain names up yr sleve now? im thinkin of a webmail service.,.PM me in case u got ne...

Only one left: dotcom.net

definitely godaddy.com, i recommend AGAINST directnic.com (support takes at least 3 days for *any* inquiry).

Not sure what happened to you... I've been using directnic for over 5 years, registered nearly a hundred names, transferred names in and out, never once had any issues. My domain is always in DNS within 12 to 24 hours. Their free hosting options are reliable and reasonable as well.

i dont have any issues with the domains resolving, but i've only used the support ticket for like 5 times the past year and every time it took 3 days at least to only get a "we forwarded your ticket.." and then another few days to actually get a solution.

cv

Absolutely. If you can't afford 5 bucks a year for a name, and 1 dollar a month for hosting...for gods sake! Dealing with a crap internet company is Just Not Worth The Pain.

You can transfer your domain to any registrar you like, so long as you have the password (some Thai hosting companies that organise domain registration as part of the 'deal' have an annoying habit of trying not to give you the password).

I have a similar problem my father in the UK has a .co.uk domain name which is registered with netnames.co.uk he doesn't need hosting at the moment because a company he is working with has agreed to host his site for him but he does require pop emails with the domain name.

Could someone inform me if there is a company that offers this service and if he needs to transfer the domain name from netnames.co.uk how he would go about doing so. It may be necessary in the future for him to host the site so if the free email comes as part of a hosting service then that would be OK.

I am posting this here because I have unwittingly become the company's Bangkok based IT department and I'm seriously under qualified.

I work for a web development company and we often register names for clients. So we have over 220 domains registered on GoDaddy and haven't had a single problem. The only issue we have with them is that their SSL graphic for your site is cheesy looking.

However I personally use namecheap since any domains I personally buy have a high likelyhood of needing to be transfered at some point in time.

I have over 30 domains registered with GoDaddy, having transferred many domains from Network Solutions registered many years ago, the first domain registered in 1992.

Bottom line: GoDaddy is a very fine domain registrar. Their private domain feature is excellent. Their web-based user interface works well.

I have also used GoDaddys's hosting service - business reasons -I could not host a particular web site on my company public servers. The hosting was satisfactory and worked as advertised. Have also used their mail hosting feature, cheap enough for me and works, but is not very pretty or fancy - i.e. their web-based mail application is far inferior to Yahoo!, for example.

I do not use GoDaddy DNS, and host all DNS for free at SiteLutions.Com and ZoneEdit.com.

Keep in mind that, for reliability and available purposes, it is best not to host all your services with one provider. I recommend you use two DNS providers that are different than your hosting provider or your registrar.

Caveat: Internet services are similar to other tools like hammers and saws, for example. The utility of a hammer in the hand of one person can be very different than the utility of a hammer in the hand of another. The highly negative posts in this thread about GoDaddy's registrar services are misinforming, based on my almost 14 years of Internet domain experience. GoDaddy is perfectly fine as a registrar for my Internet service requirements.

I agree with the negative comments about Network Solutions, and transferred many domains to GoDaddy from NetSol many years ago - and my "Internet provider stress factor" went from very high to zero afterwards.

Hope this reply was helpful.

I have a similar problem my father in the UK has a .co.uk domain name which is registered with netnames.co.uk he doesn't need hosting at the moment because a company he is working with has agreed to host his site for him but he does require pop emails with the domain name.

Could someone inform me if there is a company that offers this service and if he needs to transfer the domain name from netnames.co.uk how he would go about doing so. It may be necessary in the future for him to host the site so if the free email comes as part of a hosting service then that would be OK.

I am posting this here because I have unwittingly become the company's Bangkok based IT department and I'm seriously under qualified.

Please could someone tell me of a recommendation for purely webhosting in the UK based on my comment before.

I've had one extremely positive experience with Network Solutions - frankly, they saved my arse when our hosting company vanished taking the registrar password with them. Their customer service was outstanding - when I called and explained my problem the guy said:

'I can help you with that sir...' (and he did).

Not exactly the kind of response I was expecting from any kind of web-related help desk! The down side: They are very expensive, but as usual you get what you pay for.

Re. hosting, I use 3ix.org for several sites now and very impressed with their customer service.

Edited by Crushdepth

• 2 weeks later...
A few people have commented that they are hosting elsewhere. Where exactly is elsewhere. Please.

Withnail

Try the-webfreaks.com (also known as 99cent-host.com) They have some good deals on a very basic hosting package and free domains for their upper level hosting packages.

Look at michelonia-thailand.com if you need Thai support.

Then take a look at the rest of the www.michelonia.com group depending on what country you are in.