Housing Loan Regulations For Thais

I'm wondering if two Thais, unmarried and unrelated, can apply for a housing loan together. I ask this question as a co-worker is about to buy a condo with his (not legally registered wife) and I'm wondering if the bank would allow a home loan for them? I think it's a different situation than a registered husband and wife as they are legally a single entity in the eyes of the law.

Just curious

In my experience, no. Most banks want to see a legal/family relationship between co-borrowers for home loans - could be parent/kid, brother/sister, husband/wife & various combinations thereof.

Well I can confirm for a fact that a Thai national can get a home loan without a "legal" relationship in Thailand.

The GF at the time, who is now the wife was, given a 100% home loan through SCB and I co-signed the loan and I am a farang, so therefore if a Thai national + farang who are not married can do this, then Thai-Thai not married will be able to do it

Soutpeel, in co-signing what kind if credentials did you have to provide? The bank would no doubt require that in the event the primary borrower went default they would somehow be able to chase the co-signer for payment.

Copies of relevant pages in passport

Work Permit

Previous 12 months pay slips

Letter from the company, confirming position/Salary etc

I expected the whole process to be a time consuming/frustrating experience, but was pleasantly suprised, I only went the bank once to sign off on the agreement, so all in all pretty painless