Flash Floods Hit Chiang Mai - 1 Dead, 7 Injured

george

I've been reading the first suggestions of building bigger dykes and walls around the city, and making shure that the drainage canals are cleared regularly.These solutions often are as shortsighted as they seem obvious.

Maybe the floods were exceptional, but does somebody have any figures on the rainfall? I wouldn't be surprised if the rainfall in the last days was not really that exceptional. I reckon, admitting that I don't know all the facts, that this is not a problem of too much water. It's a problem of a lot of water coming in at the same time. This problem will not be solved with big dykes and quick drainage.

On of the principles of the idea of intergrated watermanagement is to keep the water as much and as long on the place where it falls. Forest and jungle keep most water and if any water leaves the area, it does so very gradually. The so called run-off factor is multiplied if you turn it into farmland, and again more than doubled if you build on it. (And then I am not even mentioning all the problem of soil and land erosion...)

So in my humble opinion we don't need an end-of-pipe solution but a long term commitment of sustainable management of the watersystem AND it's surroundings on all kinds of levels. It's a crazy thing to believe that we can control nature.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good points, most of the mountain forest around Chiangmai is very degraded with hard lateritic soil on the forest floor, so the water just runs off straight away.

Anyone who wants to see a properly managed forest should vist the Royal Forst Project which is about 25 kms down the Chiang Rai Road. The forest there is very wet with lots of ponds.

Edited by lamphun

New photos taken at 5.30 pm tonight of Chiang Mai Night bazaar area have been added at www.thaichange.com/cm_flood.htm The water has gone down about 50cm. Loi Kroh above Duangtawan is now clear. A lot of damage left behind though. Water is still draining from Night Bazaar area.

Thanks to Happy Jack for posting those pictures - really gives a good idea of the extent of the flooding and its impact.

While you're looking at the pictures, scroll down to the bottom of the page where people who want to use the pictures are asked to make a donation to help those affected - and read the e-mail from a guy who thumbs his nose at the idea. You might want to do as I did and send this guy an e-mail telling him what you think about that kind of attitude. :o

Update:

Chiang Mai begins flood recovery, floods continue in Chiang Rai

CHIANG RAI: -- Serious flooding continued in some areas of the North today, including Chiang Rai, while receding floodwaters in Chiang Mai brought warnings of possible water-borne disease and looting.

While authorities rushed to rescue local residents and bring food and necessary social services, they now must protect residents from disease in disorder in the aftermath.

Flooding worsened in Chiang Rai today as the Lao River rose as much as five metres and flooded low-lying areas of villages in three districts.

Villages in Muang, Mae Lao and Wiang Chai districts are largely under water. Schools in affected areas closed today due to one-meter deep waters.

Fifteen thousand residents in seven districts are affected by flooding. Over 10,000 rai of farmland (one acre = 2.5 rai) have suffered severe crop damage.

Meanwhile, floodwaters in Chiang Mai began receding, but the Ping River still was one meter above its danger level today. Provincial disaster prevention and response officials are inspecting the damage and helping the victims.

Ten schools were closed in Chiang Mai. Boats were used to rescue children and stranded older persons. Military trucks evacuated tourists from flooded hotels and Night Bazaar shopping areas.

Finally, Ministry of Public Health officials opened health centers to deal with the threat of water-borne disease, while medicine was distributed to the flood victims in Chiang Mai.

--TNA 2005-08-16

While you're looking at the pictures, scroll down to the bottom of the page where people who want to use the pictures are asked to make a donation to help those affected - and read the e-mail from a guy who thumbs his nose at the idea. You might want to do as I did and send this guy an e-mail telling him what you think about that kind of attitude

I did, and doubt if he could read it judging by his pisspoor spelling abilty. :o

While you're looking at the pictures, scroll down to the bottom of the page where people who want to use the pictures are asked to make a donation to help those affected - and read the e-mail from a guy who thumbs his nose at the idea. You might want to do as I did and send this guy an e-mail telling him what you think about that kind of attitude

I did, and doubt if he could read it judging by his pisspoor spelling abilty. :o

I'm sure he could read mine udon...very much too the point. :D

I've posted a bunch of photos on my site www.thaichange.com/cm_flood.htm for anyone who wants to look. Since I took these early this arvo the water level has come up further - and it's now raining heavily which means the usual back-up with the drains will compound the problem. As you'll see from the photos some local landmarks have been hit hard.

Don't know the area at all but gutted by your pictures. The Riverside Restaurant was particularly poignant. I really feel for everybody involved. Here in England we complain about the rain, but the damage it does over here is non-existant in comparison. :o Thanks for sharing the pictures.

By Tuesday morning the water has receded a lot. The wife managed to get out yesterday evening to the south, but our road to the north is still flooded. Going out in a while to take care of some business...will see how much damage to the roads from two days of fast-flowing water over them.

A QUOTE FROM THE NATION BY PLEASE TAKE YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ARSE PRIME MINISTER TOXSIN SHINAWHAT? WHILE THE FLOOD WATERS ARE STILL AT A PEAK IN CHAING MAI

"Prime Minister Thaksin Shina-watra yesterday insisted that the overall floodwater levels in Chiang Mai were subsiding. He has already ordered that two dykes in town be opened to allow floodwater to drain out. "

Toxin why don't you go muck about in flood water up to your arm pits and see how you like it. :o

Edited by micman

FROM THE BANGKOK POST AS TO WHY CHAING MAI HAD SERVERE FLOODING THIS YEAR.

"A local source, however, said downtown Chiang Mai was quickly submerged by water because of faults in the flood warning system, releases of floodwater into the Ping river instead of irrigation canals and rainfall of 200 millimetres.

``Nobody wants to admit mistakes so the floods were blamed on illegal logging,'' the source said.

He said irrigation officials had released water from the Taeng river into the Ping instead of irrigation canals, fearing that areas at the foot of Doi Suthep mountain would be flooded, like last year.

This mistake resulted in up to 40 million cubic metres of water pouring into the Ping river, he said."

Just did a walk around the city area - sorry no more pics my camera gave up the ghost. Lots of mud everywhere and shops around night bazaar have been hit hard. In amongst the new buildings at the river end of Loi Kroh are some old wooden pole houses. The only problem for the people living in these is pumping out their gardens. Maybe 100 years ago people were a bit cleverer than today. Ever wondered why they built these up so high?

The army and city workers are out in force hosing down the streets and carting away mud. Getting around in these areas is still not easy by car or foot because of the number of trucks etc involved in the cleanup.

Some places have been saved by mere inches. Walking through the day market some shops were full of mud whilst others, with their floors just a little higher seem to have been spared. On the other side of the river the big clean-up is on in Riverside Restaurant, Gallery etc. Only a bit further down the road the Fillmore building seems completely unscathed.

Walking back home through the flower market it's business as usual, and at the rate the shops and roads are being cleaned up it seems like by tomorrow everything will be almost normal - at least in the city area that is...

Had to drive around the city today. The floods reached as far at the CM-Lampang Superhighway to the east. Monfort Hight School (on the Airport Superhighway) was severely flooded and remains in water and muck. Tung Hotel Road remains flooded this Tuesday afternoon. Parts of the train track are still submerged. In my area people pumping out water from low-lying areas

The area of town I live in is a historical floodplain. (From Chiang Mai City Life magazine):

"Nong Phueng village in Chiang Mai’s Sarapee district is the scene where the Muang (Wiang) Kum Kam community, early pioneers of the Lanna dynasty, flourished more than seven centuries ago. Then it was devastated by flood. The entire community vanished without a trace, buried under layers of earth and remained interred for several hundred years until the site was excavated.

Today that lost civilization is an emerging tourist attraction."

Several posts above I attached a picture of the temple of Wat Kum Kam again under threat from flooding.

Update:

Chiang Mai begins flood recovery

CHIANG MAI: -- Serious flooding continued in some areas of the North today, including Chiang Rai, while receding floodwaters in Chiang Mai brought warnings of possible water-borne disease and looting. While authorities rushed to rescue local residents and bring food and necessary social services, they now must protect residents from disease in disorder in the aftermath.

Flooding worsened in Chiang Rai today as the Lao River rose as much as five metres and flooded low-lying areas of villages in three districts.

Villages in Muang, Mae Lao and Wiang Chai districts are largely under water. Schools in affected areas closed today due to one-meter deep waters.

Fifteen thousand residents in seven districts are affected by flooding. Over 10,000 rai of farmland have suffered severe crop damage.

Meanwhile, floodwaters in Chiang Mai began receding, but the Ping River still was one meter above its danger level today. Provincial disaster prevention and response officials are inspecting the damage and helping the victims. Ten schools were closed in Chiang Mai. Boats were used to rescue children and stranded older persons. Military trucks evacuated tourists from flooded hotels and Night Bazaar shopping areas.

Finally, Ministry of Public Health officials opened health centers to deal with the threat of water-borne disease, while medicine was distributed to the flood victims in Chiang Mai.

--The Nation 2005-08-16

Nobody wants to admit mistakes so the floods were blamed on illegal logging,

Mr Thaksin, who inspected the floods in Muang, Mae Taeng and Chiang Dao districts by helicopter yesterday, blamed large-scale encroachment on the Ping, which he said was mostly by rich people, and illegal logging, allegedly by hilltribe people, some from neighbouring countries, as two major causes of the floods.

A local source, however, said downtown Chiang Mai was quickly submerged by water because of faults in the flood warning system, releases of floodwater into the Ping river instead of irrigation canals and rainfall of 200 millimetres.

He said irrigation officials had released water from the Taeng river into the Ping instead of irrigation canals, fearing that areas at the foot of Doi Suthep mountain would be flooded, like last year.

This mistake resulted in up to 40 million cubic metres of water pouring into the Ping river, he said.

So once again someone made a big mistake and flooded Chiang Mai or so it would seem.

Seems to me Mr 'Personal Appearance' Thaksin is again trying to make political profit. I too read the article on today's Bangkok Post front page. What a load of twaddle! Blaming rich people is guaranteed to appeal to the masses though. I don't dispute the amount of ill gotten gains that are made in this country but this is just playing on the same old I'm in the poo because someone else is rich bull#### again.

North braces for more torrential rain

CHIANG MAI: -- will pound several parts of the country, including flood-hit Chiang Mai, the northern weather bureau warned yesterday. Bureau meteorologist Santhani Chaichiangpin singled out Chiang Mai’s Hot district and all of Sukhothai as areas about to receive huge amounts of rain as the result of a low-pressure ridge hovering over the Gulf of Tonkin and a seasonal storm over Thailand.

“People in flood-prone areas should keep abreast of weather forecasts,” she warned.

Government spokesman Surapong Suebwonglee announced that the Yom River in Sukhothai would overflow its banks today, as run-off from upper parts of the country reached the lower North.

Agriculture Minister Sudarat Keyuraphan also called on riverside residents in Sukhothai to move their belongings to higher ground as a preventive measure.

Meanwhile, more than 500 officials and 80 pumps were working round the clock in Chiang Mai town trying to restore the situation to normal after being submerged since early Sunday. “Once we successfully drain all the floodwater, we’ll immediately begin cleaning the town,” Mayor Boonlert Buranupakorn said yesterday.

He hoped the city would be restored to normal within a week.

As relief items were distributed among flood victims, technical students offered free repair services at four spots in inundated towns, to help people repair their vehicles and electrical appliances. More than 100 people sought their services yesterday.

Health officials said they had treated nearly 2,000 people in Chiang Mai suffering from cold, headaches and athlete’s foot. At the same time, education authorities said 53 schools were damaged in the flooding, which also killed a Prathom-3 student and left three other students missing.

Marine Department director-general Tawanrat Onsiri said officials were now resurveying settlements along the Ping River, to determine whether anyone had encroached on the river by filling it in and occupying the newly formed land. It was that type of intrusion on the river that blocked the flow and is being blamed for causing Chiang Mai’s worst flood in 40 years.

Currently, the department is taking action against 30 encroachers. Twenty have settled their disputes with the department.

Meanwhile, the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives plans to reduce flood-hit debtors’ interest rates to 1 per cent for six months.

--The Nation 2005-08-17

River of mud buries scenic Pai, but town's spirit undampened

MAE HONG SON: -- Flash floods brought on by heavy rains over the weekend buried the scenic resort town of Pai under a sea of mud.

But the weather has been unable to sink the spirit of townspeople.

Rainwater, mud and logs flowed down the surrounding mountainsides, knocking down trees, sweeping away homes and buildings, causing severe damage to more than 50 riverside resorts and submerging the entire town of Pai.

Streets are littered with logs, broken shutters, bricks and metal debris.

About 1,000 soldiers are helping with the clean-up, expected to be completed in seven days. Full rehabilitation could take more than a month.

Damage was estimated at 200 million baht. Many families are homeless and tourism businesses badly hurt.

But residents can take comfort they still have each other.

Ket Sriboontha, 70, of Ban Na Jalong, which was flooded, did not let his own struggles stop him from helping others.

Mr Ket enlisted residents in nearby Ban Na Toeng, which is on high ground, to prepare food for their ``friends'' in Pai.

``Each house can help prepare one or two boxed meals. Altogether we can have 300 boxes a day,'' he said.

Patcharee Rattanatham, owner of Tawan guesthouse on the Pai river, which was destroyed, said 20% of operators believed they could recover on their own

``We want the government to help poor, homeless flood victims first,'' she said.

About 700-800 tourists, most of them foreigners, left town after the floods receded. But about 200 have stayed to help soldiers and townspeople with the clean-up.

Ms Patcharee blamed the heavy flooding on encroachment of the Pai river, which blocked water from draining, and construction of a bypass road which flattened forests, allowing the water to carry logs from the project site to downtown Pai.

She called on the government to restore order in the resort town, dredge the Pai river and take tough action against forest and river trespassers.

Pai, with its scenic beauty, is a popular destination among foreign tourists.

--Bangkok Post 2005-08-17

FLOOD CLEANUP BLUES

No proper warning, say disgruntled northerners

CHIANG MAI: -- Survivors of the Chiang Mai deluge are angry at the lack of an early flood-warning system, as the province begins the arduous task of cleaning up.

Central Chiang Mai was covered in mud and piles of debris washed up by its worst flood in 40 years yesterday. Water had receded in the business district encompassing the famous Night Bazaar and outlying suburbs near the airport.

Businesses were counting the cost of the damage and struggling to put their lives back together. Some retail traders said the flood had left them on the brink of bankruptcy. Many residents were seen frantically sweeping away the muddy residue of the torrential rain which devastated the city for three days.

Sopit Inthasaro, 44, said her dress-making shop bore a heavy brunt. She did not have time to move her two cars and sewing machines to higher ground because the authorities issued no flood warning.

``None of this would have happened if the authorities had warned us and it's not the first time either,'' said a despairing Ms Sopit.

A hair salon owner who declined to be named said she had borrowed 100,000 baht six months ago to start her business. Now she would have to take out fresh loans to pay for repairs.

Although most of the city seemed dry, residents of some housing estates near the Ping river were still wading through waist-deep water.

The Chiang Mai-Lamphun road was still partially submerged but passable. It resembled a muddy canal during the height of the flood.

The State Railway of Thailand was fixing rail tracks near Chiang Mai station damaged by floodwaters. Train services to the northern city were expected to resume yesterday evening. The inundation continued to be a problem for several hundred houses lining the rail track in tambon Yang Nerng of Sarapee district. The Ping river was slowly returning to its normal level. It stablised at 3.39 metres yesterday and the current was less strong.

Water was being siphoned out of Sanpa Koy market and Kawila military camp. The popular tourist Night Bazaar was almost completely dry thanks to round-the-clock pumping of water and adjacent roads were opened to traffic. Souvenir traders said their inventory was gone in the flood, which brought the business to its knee. Ma Lapan, 67, said she had never experienced a flood so destructive.

At Ban Koh, Ban Chai Sathan and Ban Nong Kam in Hang Dong district, families were stranded on the second floors of their houses waiting to be rescued.

Sanitation concerns were being raised as toilets were flooded. Residents also complained they had nowhere to cook meals. Deputy Interior Minister Sermsak Pongpanich said an additional 80 water pumps were being brought in from neighbouring Lampang. Repairs to utility services were likely to take three days.

Damage to historical sites such as the landmark buried city of Wiang Kum Karm was still being ascertained. A number of important ancient ruins remained cut off. Education Minister Chaturon Chaisaeng said 40 state-run schools in Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai and Mae Hong Son provinces were affected. An emergency budget for school repairs has been set aside.

--Bangkok Post 2005-08-17

ALMOST 2,000 PEOPLE HAVE BECOME ILL AFTER THE FLOODING IN CHIANG MAI

The Public Health Ministry has revealed that almost 2,000 people have fallen ill, following the flooding in Chiang Mai.

Md. Phiphat Yingseri (พิพัฒน์ ยิ่งเสรี), the deputy permanent secretary of the ministry, revealed that most illnesses involved flu, headaches, and Hong Kong Foot. However, no epidemics have yet occurred, and the province has been working to prevent such an occurrence. Mobile medical teams have been assembled to care for both general illnesses and mental health. The prominent problem at present is the large amount of garbage, and the lack of operational toilets. The provincial public health office has therefore distributed 20,000 black bags for people to dispose of garbage and food bits, in order to help prevent contaminated water. In addition, 20,000 bottles of drinking water have been distributed.

Source: thaisnews.com 2005-08-17

The water engineers have spent more than a year hard at work trying to improve the drainage system an event like this -- new, large underground drainage pipes and extensive dredging of the river about six months ago. They carted dumptruck after dumptruck of dredged material away.

They started derdging above Woorawat Market and finshed well south around the southern ring-road superhighway.

In the latest flood, it could be that once the canals were full they thought the water could be "safely" divereted to the Ping after all those "improvements"; they could have been trying to prevent Huay Kaew Road and the Airport Plaza intersection from flooding as they always did before (and this time did not). If so, their "gamble" protected those areas but failed overall as water far exceeded the carrying capacity of the river.

Just a theory...

NORTHERN RESIDENTS ARE BEING WARNED ABOUT SUDDEN FLASH FLOODING AND LANDSLIDES

The Meteorological Centre in the Northern Region has issued a warning about sudden flash flooding, which is likely to occur in high risk areas in the northern region.

The Northern Meteorological Centre has forecast that from today until August 21st, that low air pressure will cover the TANK-KIA Gulf, and a south-westerly monsoon will pass over the Northern region of Thailand over the next week, which is likely to cause widespread thundershowers.

The northern regions are expected to experience widespread rain with medium rainfall and cloudy conditions across 60-70 percent of the region, while 20 percent of the area might experience heavy rains in north and west of the region.

The Meteorological Centre has issued a warning report to local residents who live in risky areas about the possibility of landslides and flash flooding, whereby local residents are being warned to proceed with caution.

Meanwhile, residents have been instructed to monitor the weather situations through news reports, or telephone number 0-5327-7919.

Source: thaisnews.com 2005-08-17

Chiang Mai Chamber upbeat despite Bt 1.5 billion in flood losses

BANGKOK: -- The Chamber of Commerce in this northern province estimates that damages from the current flooding, the worst in 40 years, is estmated at more than 1,500 million baht.

Chiang Mai Chamber of Commerce Chairman Mr. Narong Katanuwat estimated the economic losses from the most sever flood in decades has caused critical damage to more than 500 shop operators in the famed Night Bazaar, one of the most famous shopping areas in the kingdom.

The well-known Waroros Market and Charoen Prathet Road fronting on the high water areas--Chang Klarn Road, packed with the hotels having below ground level entertainment and shopping levels--were particularly hard hit.

Twenty hotels with flooded lobbies and reception areas were forced to close temporarily for renovations, he said.

"Normally, there's more than Bt 100 million in circulation in this busy business center," said the chairman, "but the flood has halted most of transactions."

Many homes along the east side of the Ping River were washed away, adding to the already extensive business losses, he said.

Mr. Narong said he was confident that the tourism sector will recover. He is upbeat in predicting that business will face only short term aftereffects.

Provincial authorities and other concerned agencies had rushed to help local residents clean their houses mud-and-water-damaged homes, shops and roadways to bring the situation back to normal as fast as possible.

"I expect the situation will return to normal within one week," he added.

Tax and loan measures offered by the government were effective assistance to help the public," he said. "It would be good to see private banks offering soft loans to the flood victims."

He also called on government and other concerned agencies to plan effective measures to prevent any recurrance of a flood as bad as this in the future.

--TNA 2005-08-17

The problem is that the water has to go somewhere. The government has spent millions over the last few years installing drains on most roads. The result was that the water reached the Ping faster, then came straight back when the river overflowed.

The only solution is watershed management and that ain't going to happen.

By the way it's raining again.

Update:

Flood damages in Chiang Mai reach five billion baht

CHIANG MAI: -- Deputy Interior Minister Somchai Sunthornvut revealed that damages from the recent floods in this northern province surpasses five billion baht.

Visiting Chiang Mai this morning, Mr. Somchai said that the losses to the economy were estimated at two billion baht.

He said local authorities have been ordered to allocate emergency funds to help people affected by flood, the worst in 40 years.

If local authorities do not have sufficient funds to meet the reconstruction and rehabilitation needs, he said, approval for more funds will be sought at the cabinet level.

Meanwhile, Chiang Mai municipality mayor Boonlert Buranupakorn said that Chiang Mai needed urgent cleaning after the flood and about 700 tonnes of garbage would be moved from the city within seven days.

The Chiang Mai dumpsite is located about 250 kilometres from the metropolitan areaea.

City utilities--including electricity and pipe water supplies--would be repaired within the next three days, he said.

--TNA 2005-08-18