Why Is Car Hire So Expensive In Phuket? And Any Suggestions For Cheaper Options?

danh

I have spent a while checking out rental rates and emailing around and visiting a few dealers and it seems rates are insane. I mean £400 a month for the hire of a very, very basic vehicle seems too much.

Does anyone know anywhere that does cheaper hire or have a spare car/truck/jeep etc they are interested in renting out?

Im looking for a 3 month hire up front and up to a year.

Cheers

Dan

That actually doesn't sound too bad for a rental ... It works out at about £13 per day (18,000 bhat per month) - I stand to be corrected however as I have not rented long term on Phuket before.

That said - if you have the free cash you could buy a small run around and loose less than that (est less than 100 k bhat) in a year in depreciation (buying and selling are a small hassle though).

Had a car in England for 6 weeks earlier this year through Avis, and it cost me, all in, 650 quid. So, appears to be fairly similar in pricing.

The international companies may do good deals on very long term hires, so check that out. Also, if you have various cards, eg AMEX, some international renters will give you as much as 15% discount off their initial rates.

Take great care in renting from a person who'll rent you a car, but is not a proper renter. There are big, big risks with insurance and accidents if it's not done to international standard rental policies.

Had a car in England for 6 weeks earlier this year through Avis, and it cost me, all in, 650 quid. So, appears to be fairly similar in pricing.

The international companies may do good deals on very long term hires, so check that out. Also, if you have various cards, eg AMEX, some international renters will give you as much as 15% discount off their initial rates.

Take great care in renting from a person who'll rent you a car, but is not a proper renter. There are big, big risks with insurance and accidents if it's not done to international standard rental policies.

many rental cars have no insurance except for the cumpolsory, which covers nothing, except basic hospital treatment for 3rd party limited to 100k baht

Cheap to rent, expensive to crash :whistling:

At 20000 bht a month = aprox 400 pound....thats normal rental for uk or europe.. that ussually includes no 1 insurance..thats not expenive....you can get some deals for 15,000 but that would be for long term...these rentals are for ..jazz..vious etc..good luck.... phuket is not expensive...

At 20000 bht a month = aprox 400 pound....thats normal rental for uk or europe.. that ussually includes no 1 insurance..thats not expenive....you can get some deals for 15,000 but that would be for long term...these rentals are for ..jazz..vious etc..good luck.... phuket is not expensive...

while in the uk and europe you get low spec cars, manual gear, no AC, and high deductable on insurance, here you get large engine, auto, AC, high spec/top spec and excellent insurance for 20k baht. Inexpensive rentals in Phuket I d say :)

Great replies guys thanks!

My perspective was based on the fact im getting quoted what i would get quoted in london for small car hire, and yet i am in a country that, due to much lower overheads, i expected cheaper car hire. I also presumed due to the proximity to car producing asian countries with large second hand export markets there would be a lot of cheap to hire second hand cars.

This doesn't seem to be the case, but you know what they say about assumption eh?

I guess i would buy if i could but i understand thats only open to people on non-immigrant visas, and im only on a tourist visa.

As for its not expensive here try other countries, well i have hired cars all over the world as i travel a lot for work and i find Thailands prices high compared to what i expected. Surprised really, thats all. Nothing personal.

@katabeachbum - i'll PM you as im interested.

Cheers all for the feedback.

Car hire is not expensive here.

it in fact is cheaper here in Thailand than anywhere else in Asia. have u tried to rent a car for a month in Malaysia, Philippines, Indonesia ? ridiculously expensive !

DANH, you should try www.purecarrent.com

they are a small but reliable company based in Phuket City and in business since a very long time. they are not expensive and can be trusted. they used to have some Jeeps such as Caribbean and the likes. I am sure they would give you a favourable rate if you rent for 3 months. I have rent with them on several occasions when coming to Phuket.

Edited by siam2007

Just remembered - there's one that advertise every week in the back pages of the Gazette.

Sure it is called A1 Car Rent. Used to know the original owner, but he sold the business a few years ago. When the original owner ran it, he used to deal in the 'older' type cars. They weren't heaps of <deleted>, but the monthly price was very attractive if you're not bothered about having a fairly new car.

Hilarious people whining over 20k baht

Really? Is it really 'hilarious' ? People trying to get a good deal on long term car hire and discussing rates is not what I'd class as belly laugh material mate.

Perhaps 20K bt is mere pocket money to someone as financially superior as yourself, in which case I'm sure you have something better to do with your time than pour scorn on other peoples efforts to try an avoid spending 5 grand sterling a year on hiring some crap little car and trying to get a better deal.

This is a discussion forum isn't it?

There is a car rental named Cabrio Rental Phuket, and you can find it in the Phuket Gazette guide online www.phuketgazette.net

They rent out all kinds of cars, even convertibles and prices are fair in my opinion.

In every range they have only the topmodels.

I rented a top model Isuzu truck last month for 24,000 baht a month and this car was great!

Really? Is it really 'hilarious' ? People trying to get a good deal on long term car hire and discussing rates is not what I'd class as belly laugh material mate.

Perhaps 20K bt is mere pocket money to someone as financially superior as yourself, in which case I'm sure you have something better to do with your time than pour scorn on other peoples efforts to try an avoid spending 5 grand sterling a year on hiring some crap little car and trying to get a better deal.

Take no notice.

Looks like he is Canadian.So he has an excuse.

Mate of mine rents long term from a place in Chalong.10 k a month

It's just an old Nissan but it get's him from here to Nakon Si Thamarat 3 or 4 times a month.Can get you the number if you want

Take no notice.

Looks like he is Canadian.So he has an excuse.

Mate of mine rents long term from a place in Chalong.10 k a month

It's just an old Nissan but it get's him from here to Nakon Si Thamarat 3 or 4 times a month.Can get you the number if you want

Be aware of the lack of insurance on older cars. 10 years old there is no 1st class insurance available any more, even for those who want to pay for insurance. Goes for most Suzuki Caribean Jeeps

There is no labour element in a car hire. Things are cheap in Thailand if labour is a big input.

Cars are by and large no cheaper here than in the UK. Insurance ditto.

Solace yourself - petrol is half the cost of the UK (roughly) and you can service your personal needs at one tenth the cost of equivalent quality in the UK if you are into that. Oh dear that last comment is going to get me into a whole heap of trouble on the Phuket forum?:rolleyes:

Great replies guys thanks!

My perspective was based on the fact im getting quoted what i would get quoted in london for small car hire, and yet i am in a country that, due to much lower overheads, i expected cheaper car hire. I also presumed due to the proximity to car producing asian countries with large second hand export markets there would be a lot of cheap to hire second hand cars.

This doesn't seem to be the case, but you know what they say about assumption eh?

I guess i would buy if i could but i understand thats only open to people on non-immigrant visas, and im only on a tourist visa.

As for its not expensive here try other countries, well i have hired cars all over the world as i travel a lot for work and i find Thailands prices high compared to what i expected. Surprised really, thats all. Nothing personal.

@katabeachbum - i'll PM you as im interested.

Cheers all for the feedback.

Prices for rental are cheap compared to the rest of the world.......blame Gordon Brown and Mervyn King for the appaling exchange rate.....if Sterling was still at a norm you would be looking at a few hundred quid a month with Budget/Avis etc...rates here have stayed the same for many years, you just cant compare anymore

I recently hired a car in Australia - cheapest possible - for around 2000 baht per day. I ALWAYS get full insurance at another approx 1000 baht per day.

Glad the insurance was available because a small stone hit the windscreen, making quite a star...

MissChris

I recently hired a car in Australia - cheapest possible - for around 2000 baht per day. I ALWAYS get full insurance at another approx 1000 baht per day.

Glad the insurance was available because a small stone hit the windscreen, making quite a star...

MissChris

If you go to Australia again try Bayswater Car Rentals,

Car under 1 year old, Corolla hatch, about 1000 baht a day with comprehensive insurance and $50 AUD excess if you have a accident.

MissChris

Car under 1 year old, Corolla hatch, about 1000 baht a day with comprehensive insurance and $50 AUD excess if you have a accident.

I did the same. in fact, to rent a car was the only reasonable priced thing in an otherwise rip-off-country (albeit beautiful) par excellence

MissChris

I did the same. in fact, to rent a car was the only reasonable priced thing in an otherwise rip-off-country (albeit beautiful) par excellence

The Minimum wage in Australia for a 38 hour week was $500 AUD for a 38 hour week plus they get paid holidays

That's why things are more expensive there.

You can buy cars there manufactured in Thailand for less than you can purchase them in Thailand

Cars are no where near as expensive there as they are here.

Car rental is not expensive if you take that into account