Ubon Ratchathani

ricklev

I've never been to Ubon, but I decided to visit for a week over Christmas as Air Asia is selling seats for about 650 baht each way.

Any suggestions for new(ish) hotels in the 600-1000 baht price range?

Also I thought I would mail my Honda Wave to Ubon to avoid renting and transport hassles. Any suggestions for day trips?

Thanks for your help!

Edited by ricklev

Sunee Grand is the newest and best hotel in Ubon, but I think rooms start at 1500/night. Several restaurants, Supermarked, shopping mall, banks, water amusement park, massage/spa, and more in the same complex.

There are alternatively several "mansions" in town, with ok rooms, and one is Padaeng Mansion in Padaeng rd. - rooms are 400/500, just across from WrongWay Cafe (one of the expat meeting places)

For a day trip I would recommend khong Chiam, about 60 km east of Ubon, where The Moon and the Mekong rivers meet, and at the same time visit Pha Taem National park which is nearby. :D

Sunee Grand is the newest and best hotel in Ubon, but I think rooms start at 1500/night. Several restaurants, Supermarked, shopping mall, banks, water amusement park, massage/spa, and more in the same complex.

There are alternatively several "mansions" in town, with ok rooms, and one is Padaeng Mansion in Padaeng rd. - rooms are 400/500, just across from WrongWay Cafe (one of the expat meeting places)

For a day trip I would recommend khong Chiam, about 60 km east of Ubon, where The Moon and the Mekong rivers meet, and at the same time visit Pha Taem National park which is nearby. :D

Thanks, Padaeng Mansion looks good.

Yes Phadaeng Mansion is a good spot as is Pan House. Another place is called The Ratchathani. Just make sure you ask for one of the recently renovated rooms.

If you are only spending a week there wouldn't it just be easiest and about the same price just to hire a bike when you arrive? Contact Darren at this place http://memock.wordpress.com/2009/12/08/motorcycle-rental-in-ubon-ratchathani/ and he can drop a bike off to your hotel if you like. Great service and good bikes.

If you are only spending a week there wouldn't it just be easiest and about the same price just to hire a bike when you arrive? Contact Darren at this place http://memock.wordpress.com/2009/12/08/motorcycle-rental-in-ubon-ratchathani/ and he can drop a bike off to your hotel if you like. Great service and good bikes.

I second MeMock's recommendation of using Darrens "Jay Jay Car & Bike rental". They have their own website as well..... :D

I haven't stayed at Phadaeng Mansions, but recently was checking rooms for a potential Ubon visitor; Phadaeng looked very nice - clean, airy rooms, friendly staff, quiet atmosphere. Looked to be excellent value.

Elwood

No sarcasm intended!!

I didn't open your link, but remembered Darren told me about his website, so googled jayjay, found it and commented. :)

Cheers Bergen :D

Thought I would clarify because there is another poster around here who seemed to have some issues with when I posted relevant links back to my blog. Darren is indeed a good egg and he offers great service, I am sure we are both keen for him to succeed.

I also recommend the Phadaeng Mansion, stayed there twice in the last three months. Good value for 500 baht and terrific service as well.

Do a search of this forum, brings up 11 different threads with places to stay in Ubon.

Phone number for Phadaeng if you wish to book is 045-254600, 045-263263. Not sure if they have a website or not, maybe MeMock will know for sure.

Best Regards

Mr Conrad

I also recommend the Phadaeng Mansion, stayed there twice in the last three months. Good value for 500 baht and terrific service as well.

Do a search of this forum, brings up 11 different threads with places to stay in Ubon.

Phone number for Phadaeng if you wish to book is 045-254600, 045-263263. Not sure if they have a website or not, maybe MeMock will know for sure.

Best Regards

Mr Conrad

Thanks for the phone number, I have made a booking...

It's actually surprisingly easy and cheap to mail a bike. I do it all the time. In and out of the post office in a few minutes and no prep on the bike required. However its good to know that a trustworthy rental agent exists. A rarity in Thailand I think.