Interpol issues 'red notice' for arrest of WikiLeaks' Julian Assange

News_Editor

They will probably only charge WikiLeaks for disseminating the Information in the first place. After it was exposed to the world it was legitimate news.

Yes, foreign nationals have been charged with espionage. ;)

then provide a source: :whistling:

i want hold my breath!!!

Edited by KhunAussie52
Removed irrelevant question.

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Australian Lawyers for Human Rights president Stephen Keim says accusations of criminal law breaches leveled at Assange undermine free speech principles.

“Although the Attorney-General is entitled to disagree with – even protest – the actions taken, it is a particularly objectionable misuse of political hyperbole in these circumstances to make sweeping allegations of illegality,” Mr Keim said.

Yesterday Alexander Cockburn reminded us of the news Israel Shamir and Paul Bennett broke at Counterpunch in September. Julian Assange's chief accuser in Sweden has a significant history of work with anti-Castro groups, at least one of which is US funded and openly supported by a former CIA agent convicted in the mass murder of seventy three Cubans on an airliner he was involved in blowing up.

source-

http://my.firedoglak...h-has-cia-ties/

Oh…and the “rape” charge that’s smeared Julian Assange’s name around the world? On Thursday James D. Catlin, the Melbourne barrister who represented Assange in London, wrote:

Apparently having consensual sex in Sweden without a condom is punishable by a term of imprisonment of a minimum of two years for rape. That is the basis for a reinstitution of rape charges against WikiLeaks figurehead Julian Assange that is destined to make Sweden and its justice system the laughing stock of the world and dramatically damage its reputation as a model of modernity.

Sweden’s Public Prosecutor’s Office was embarrassed in August this year when it leaked to the media that it was seeking to arrest Assange for rape, then on the same day withdrew the arrest warrant because in its own words there was “no evidence”. The damage to Assange’s reputation is incalculable. More than three quarters of internet references to his name refer to rape. Now, three months on and three prosecutors later, the Swedes seem to be clear on their basis to proceed. Consensual sex that started out with a condom ended up without one, ergo, the sex was not consensual.

Edited by KhunAussie52

then provide a source:

i want hold my breath!!!

Here is just one and he was not only charged, but convicted. :ph34r:

http://en.wikipedia....oubert_Duquesne

Have you noticed that pretty much every time you demand that I back up something that I have posted, I can do it - and with a legitimate source?

There is not a lot of that going around on your side of the fence.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Support builds for Julian Assange in Australia

By James Cogan

10 December 2010

The Australian Labor government of Prime Minister Julia Gillard is becoming increasingly isolated in its support for the US-led persecution of WikiLeaks and its editor and Australian citizen Julian Assange. Gillard has publicly labelled Assange's actions as "illegal", while figures from across a broad spectrum of the political, legal and media establishment are speaking out in his and WikiLeaks' defence.

http://www.wsws.org/.../auwi-d10.shtml

long live freedom of speech!

Edited by KhunAussie52

Julian Assange's chief accuser in Sweden has a significant history of work with anti-Castro groups, at least one of which is US funded and openly supported by a former CIA agent convicted in the mass murder of seventy three Cubans on an airliner he was involved in blowing up.

And? This kind of bizarre attempt at implication might come in handy some day for those of us who play Trivial Pursuit, but little else.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Julian Assange's chief accuser in Sweden has a significant history of work with anti-Castro groups, at least one of which is US funded and openly supported by a former CIA agent convicted in the mass murder of seventy three Cubans on an airliner he was involved in blowing up.

And? This kind of bizarre attempt at implication might come in handy some day for those of us who play Trivial Pursuit, but little else.

no comment :jap:

then provide a source:

i want hold my breath!!!

Have you noticed that pretty much every time you demand that I back up something that I have posted, I can do it - and with a legitimate source?

Frederick "Fritz" Joubert Duquesne (sometimes spelled Du Quesne and pronounced in English as "Doo-Cain'') (September 21, 1877 – May 24, 1956) was a South African Boer soldier, prisoner of war, big game hunter, journalist, war correspondent, Anglophobe, stockbroker, saboteur, spy, and adventurer whose hatred for the British caused him to volunteer to spy for Germany during both World Wars. As a Boer spy he was known as the "Black Panther", but he is also known as "the man who killed Kitchener", since he claimed to have sabotaged and sunk HMS Hampshire, on which Lord Kitchener was en route to Russia in 1916. As a German spy, he went by the code name DUNN. In 1942, he and 32 other members of the Duquesne Spy Ring were convicted in the largest espionage conviction in the history of the United States.

Having escaped from Bermuda, Duquesne landed in New York City, where he found employment as a journalist for the New York Herald. He became known as a traveling correspondent, big game hunter and storyteller whilst in New York. The Second Boer War ended with the Boers signing the Treaty of Vereeniging, and with his family dead, Duquesne never returned to South Africa. He became a naturalized American citizen in December 1913.

He was sent to Port Arthur to report on the Russo-Japanese War, as well as Morocco to report on the Riff Rebellion. By 1910, he became Theodore Roosevelt's personal shooting instructor and accompanied him on a hunting expedition. Later, he appeared in Australia, calling himself "Captain Claude Stoughton" of the Western Australian Light Horse regiment, giving lectures on the Great War.

then he is was a US citizen.................not Australian :jap:

very interesting :whistling:

Edited by KhunAussie52

then provide a source:

i want hold my breath!!!

He was arrested in 1942 in the USA. This was in WW2. Yes this was espionage.

So was William Joyce, hanged in 1946 for treason during WW2.

Julian assange is certainly NOT in the above category. His organisation has done no more that a responsible editor of a newspaper would do, publish them.

The problem would never have originated if the State Department non existant security of documents. Why was it allowed to happen? what were the motives of those so called "patriotic" US citizens?

One of these was a military person who was mentally unbalanced. Who was supervising his work? Where was the accountability?

It is employees of the State Dept that should be held accountable, including the so called "President" ( the buck stops here -Truman doctrine) and Clinton.

then provide a source:

i want hold my breath!!!

""Captain Claude Stoughton" of the Western Australian Light Horse regiment, giving lectures on the Great War.".................Many Australians died in that war.;)

Frederick "Fritz" Joubert Duquesne (sometimes spelled Du Quesne and pronounced in English as "Doo-Cain'') (September 21, 1877 – May 24, 1956) was a South African Boer soldier, prisoner of war, big game hunter, journalist, war correspondent, Anglophobe, stockbroker, saboteur, spy, and adventurer whose hatred for the British caused him to volunteer to spy for Germany during both World Wars. As a Boer spy he was known as the "Black Panther", but he is also known as "the man who killed Kitchener", since he claimed to have sabotaged and sunk HMS Hampshire, on which Lord Kitchener was en route to Russia in 1916. As a German spy, he went by the code name DUNN. In 1942, he and 32 other members of the Duquesne Spy Ring were convicted in the largest espionage conviction in the history of the United States.

Having escaped from Bermuda, Duquesne landed in New York City, where he found employment as a journalist for the New York Herald. He became known as a traveling correspondent, big game hunter and storyteller whilst in New York. The Second Boer War ended with the Boers signing the Treaty of Vereeniging, and with his family dead, Duquesne never returned to South Africa. He became a naturalized American citizen in December 1913.

He was sent to Port Arthur to report on the Russo-Japanese War, as well as Morocco to report on the Riff Rebellion. By 1910, he became Theodore Roosevelt's personal shooting instructor and accompanied him on a hunting expedition. Later, he appeared in Australia, calling himself "Captain Claude Stoughton" of the Western Australian Light Horse regiment, giving lectures on the Great War.

then he is was a US citizen.................not Australian :jap:

very interesting :whistling:

Melbourne-based lawyer Robert Stary, who has taken on Assange's case in Australia, announced yesterday that he had formally requested that Attorney General McClelland order an investigation into whether Australian criminal charges could be laid against the American politicians and journalists who had called for Assange's assassination. These included figures such as Sarah Palin, Mike Huckabee, Washington Times' columnist Jeffrey Kuhner and Tom Flanagan, former advisor to the Canadian prime minister.

Stary told journalists: “There have been serious threats made against Julian Assange and it is incumbent on the federal government to take action to protect him. In fact, they have a legislative responsibility to do so under Australian law.” Stary cited legislation making it a crime for any person, in Australia or internationally, to “deliberately or recklessly cause physical or mental harm” to an Australian citizen.

further reading here-

http://www.wsws.org/.../auwi-d10.shtml

Edited by KhunAussie52

PFC Bradley Manning

We have said till we are blue in the face - these creeps put people's lives at risk of being killed

Do you peaceniks not understand this?

Ferriners.

:whistling:

"Peaceniks" as some were named dressed with flowers in their hair and in some cases formed communities called communes Peaceniks ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Search&search=peaceniks+

Edited by KhunAussie52

For those of you who are so pro Wikileaks, I ask you this: how should the person or people who originally stole the files be treated by the US government?

No takers?

your fishing expedition has failed :jap:

It's a fair question. Is this guy a hero or criminal? You certainly are pleased with the results of his actions why not share you opinion on that?

"It appears the Swedish legal system is as much on trial as Assange himself, with claims of the failure of due process and the breaching of European human rights laws by prosecutors. Assange is in a strange legal netherworld. At no point has he or British lawyers been given access to the evidence against him in English - a requirement under the European Convention on Human Rights.

http://beforeitsnews.com/story/293/594/Wikileaks_Assange:_Swedish_Law_on_Trial,_and_when_Consentual_Sex_is_Rape.html

For those of you who are so pro Wikileaks, I ask you this: how should the person or people who originally stole the files be treated by the US government?

No takers?

your fishing expedition has failed

It seems as if no one who supports WikiLeaks can answer the question in a way that does not sound ridiculous. :D

No takers?

your fishing expedition has failed :jap:

He,she or they should be dismissed from the service of their employer. The US government should take responsibility and purge the system of unreliable emplyees and tighten up security. It is purely a US problem as our Australian FM Rudd has said publically.

Leaders could end up with a second helping of egg on their faces.

IN 1986, I represented former MI5 officer Peter Wright in his efforts to publish his memoirs Spycatcher. Margaret Thatcher was determined that no former MI5 officer should be able to write about his work, regardless of whether the information was still confidential, affected current operations or was otherwise of any real detriment to intelligence services.

further reading-

http://www.nationaltimes.com.au/opinion/politics/political-risk-in-making-a-martyr-of-assange-20101208-18ppy.html

Hear, hear!

Julian Assange should make sure that any further documents published do not contain information that would impinge on current operations and put lives at risk. We are in a global struggle with terrorism and any material that assists our opponents should not be published. Material that puts at risk the lives of those who help us should not be published and to do so is morally reprehensible whatever its legal character.

A Google search of the words ''Assange'' and ''rape'' yesterday returned 9.2 million hits.

As a result of the comments by the prosecutor's office, Assange found out through the media that he was accused of raping two women.

He released a message via Twitter that day: ''The charges are without basis and their issue at this moment is deeply disturbing.''

Assange acknowledges he slept with the women and says the sex was consensual, which the women acknowledge.

But they say a condom was not used for at least part of the sex. Under Swedish law, that may constitute rape.

Yesterday another lawyer who acted for Assange, the Melbourne barrister James Catlin, wrote in Crikey that the women ''collaborated'' and ''irrevocably tainted each other's evidence'' before going to police.

''Their SMS texts to each other show a plan to contact … Expressen beforehand in order to maximise the damage to Assange.''

http://beforeitsnews.com/story/293/594/Wikileaks_Assange:_Swedish_Law_on_Trial,_and_when_Consentual_Sex_is_Rape.html

In an online chat in May, Private Manning described having downloaded the documents from a military computer system; he described them as including "State Department cables from embassies and consulates all over the world."

Private Manning appears to have exploited a security loophole to copy thousands of files onto compact discs over a six-month period. Defense Department computers have their portals disabled to prevent the use of external memory devices, such as thumb drives, but the use of compact-disc devices was not banned.

So much for security. He had used a DoD computer to access State Dept files.

Security: In other words one must have an audit trail for all documents.

Edited by electau