Interpol issues 'red notice' for arrest of WikiLeaks' Julian Assange

News_Editor

''Their SMS texts to each other show a plan to contact … Expressen beforehand in order to maximise the damage to Assange.''

If he purposely used no condom after being asked to, who could blame them. AIDS, Hep C, STDs and a lot of other stuff are all out there. :(

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In June 2009, WikiLeaks and Julian Assange won Amnesty International's UK Media Award (in the category "New Media") for the 2008 publication of "Kenya: The Cry of Blood – Extra Judicial Killings and Disappearances"

great journalism

:jap:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WikiLeaks

Edited by KhunAussie52

The reality is, that as with Liu Xiaobo, there is no justification for arrest and or incarceration. Both men are basically in the same boat, ie subject to being gagged by the perpetrator of generations of innocent and unsuspecting humans who simply wish to live in peace and practice openness and honesty, accountability, transparency as in deed we have all been encouraged to from the beginning of time. We are penalized for deception and deviance by those who practice it behind our backs

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1439436/US-Assange-indictment-unconstitutional

In June 2009, WikiLeaks and Julian Assange won Amnesty International's UK Media Award (in the category "New Media") for the 2008 publication of "Kenya: The Cry of Blood – Extra Judicial Killings and Disappearances"

great journalism

Pity that after realizing a modicum of success he chose the wrong path. He certainly is significantly challenged.

Edited by venturalaw

great journalism

Pity that after realizing a modicum of success he chose the wrong path. He certainly is significantly challenged.

no comment :jap:

great journalism

And now he is exposing the US government for similar things. That is a service to Americans, Amercian values and democracy. The horrific side is that the US government now shows it has absolutely no commitment to democratic values and doesnt believe in freedom

As voters and taxpayers we have the right to know what our representatives do, say and act on our behalf.

They are, and quite properly, accountable.

WHY do people keep saying this? This is only true in that one country's representatives are accountable only to their own voters and taxpayers - NOT to those voters or taxpayers from other countries.

I find it very interesting that the Vatican should lobby US diplomats with a view to obstruct the entry of Turkey into the EU.

This info only comes to light because of wikileaks and is important for all Europeans.

As citizens of the world we need to know what these people in authority are doing and what they are thinking.

Irrespective of nationality.

For those of you who are so pro Wikileaks, I ask you this: how should the person or people who originally stole the files be treated by the US government?

No takers?

your fishing expedition has failed

It seems as if no one who supports WikiLeaks can answer the question in a way that does not sound ridiculous. :D

You nailed it UG. The disturbing truth of this whole affair is that it all revolves around a crime so heinous that historically these type of lowlifes were soon up against a wall listening to the phrase ready, aim, fire!

But the bizarre aspect is that there is a loophole for journalists to openly exploit this kind of info. Right now, the news media and wiki are profiting from criminal activity.

If I stole a truck from a bad guy and gave it to some poor people who could really use it to run a business, I would still be guilty of a crime, and they would be guilty of possessing it. But somehow government secrets are the only kind of private property that once fenced become public domain. There is something seriously wrong with that.

And then you have the activist mentality that not only finds criminal activity justifiable, they celebrate it. The activist mentality is observable here in a certain poster who has no ability to enter into a reasonable debate but knows only how to spam and broadcast his point of view and poo poo any contrary evidence or idea. This is because the activist world is black and white and any effort to expand the issue is mocked. It is kind of like an old dog that farts a lot; you can't make them realize the way in which they are offensive, and they never quit, so eventually you move to the next room.

Edited by canuckamuck

For those of you who are so pro Wikileaks, I ask you this: how should the person or people who originally stole the files be treated by the US government?

The discussion is about Julian Assange

And a journalist right to publish!!

The two aren't related because Assange is not a journalist.

Yes he is.

great journalism

And now he is exposing the US government for similar things. That is a service to Americans, Amercian values and democracy. The horrific side is that the US government now shows it has absolutely no commitment to democratic values and doesnt believe in freedom

The leaked cables don't show any of what you claim above. If anything, they show how two-faced other governments are. Say one thing in public, another in private to the US who they look to for help.

Yes he is.

No he isn't. He is a computer programmer and hacker who runs a website that posts secret documents.

great journalism

The leaked cables don't show any of what you claim above. If anything, they show how two-faced other governments are. Say one thing in public, another in private to the US who they look to for help.

Clearly you missed the earlier releases

As voters and taxpayers we have the right to know what our representatives do, say and act on our behalf.

They are, and quite properly, accountable.

WHY do people keep saying this? This is only true in that one country's representatives are accountable only to their own voters and taxpayers - NOT to those voters or taxpayers from other countries.

I find it very interesting that the Vatican should lobby US diplomats with a view to obstruct the entry of Turkey into the EU.

This info only comes to light because of wikileaks and is important for all Europeans.

As citizens of the world we need to know what these people in authority are doing and what they are thinking.

Irrespective of nationality.

Even if you were right in this case, it doesn't excuse the other 250,000 cables. Sorry, but Wikileaks supporters don't seem to understand that Assange was just using a very wide net by publishing so many cables, HOPING for something embarrassing to come out that would slow down the way governments communicate (his stated goal).

It seems as if no one who supports WikiLeaks can answer the question in a way that does not sound ridiculous. :D

You nailed it UG. The disturbing truth of this whole affair is that it all revolves around a crime so heinous that historicaly these type of lowlifes were soon up against a wall listening to the phrase ready, aim, fire!

But the bizarre aspect is that there is a loophole for journalists to openly exploit this kind of info. Right now, the news media and wiki are profiting from criminal activity.

If I stole a truck from a bad guy and gave it to some poor people who could really use it to run a business, I would still be guilty of a crime, and they would be guilty of possessing it. But somehow government secrets are the only kind of private property that once fenced become public domain. There is something seriously wrong with that.

And then you have the activist mentality that not only finds criminal activity justifiable, they celebrate it. The activist mentality is observable here in a certain poster who has no ability to enter into a reasonable debate but knows only how to spam and broadcast his point of view and poo poo any contrary evidence or idea. This is because the activist world is black and white and any effort to expand the issue is mocked. It is kind of like an dog that farts a lot; you can't make them realize the way in which they are offensive, and they never quit, so eventually you move to the next room.

Exposing the hypocricy of the US facist government and failure to live up to the values of their country, people and constitution is something anyone should be praised for. If it saves Amercian lives by preventing the facist government from putting their own people at risk by their corporate led imperailist adventures that is a service to the American people. If they also expose the reality that the US military is the biggest terrorist organization on earth that kills more civilains usually women and children than any other terrorist organization that is a bonus. Etc. Manning is a hero if anyone really believes he alone leaked all this and if you talk to anyone who should know they dont believe this. However, those that exdpose the attrocities of the terrorist government of the US should be celebrated.

It had to be said even if it upsets the Amercian nationalists who worship their government and imperialist dreams rather thanh any ideal that Amercia was ever founded on. Those kind of people are traitors to their own country;)

Is the topic of this thread, “because the US government is so bad it is acceptable to do anything illegal to bring down the US government?”

That's cool if it is. I just wanted some guidelines on what was acceptable to post and not to post.

It was ion answer to a question that was posted here and not removed by moderators so I guess fair game. Or was the intention of the question to get an answer that those framing it could then use as an excuse to get a fellow memebr into trouble with board policy? As those that oppose wikileaks oppose freedom it wouldnt be a surprise.

Manning is a hero if anyone really believes he alone leaked all this and if you talk to anyone who should know they dont believe this.

A hero? is he just the kind of hero soldiers love to have alongside them when facing the enemy.

Or is he, in the context of being a soldier, a self serving weasel?

great journalism

Clearly you missed the earlier releases

No, I didn't. You apparently did - unless you are unable to post any examples that the US Government "has absolutely no commitment to democratic values and doesnt believe in freedom". You must be new to this Internet forum thing. You can post all the hyperbole you want but someone WILL call you on it to back it up - which you can't.

Edited by koheesti

Manning is a hero if anyone really believes he alone leaked all this and if you talk to anyone who should know they dont believe this.

A hero? is he just the kind of hero soldiers love to have alongside them when facing the enemy.

A hero is someone who even in the face of adversity does the right thing. A hero doesnt have to be someone who blindly follows stupid orders or is even in the military. Expsoing the lies, deciets, excesses and crimes of a government would be something that classifies someone as a hero.

A hero is someone who even in the face of adversity does the right thing. A hero doesnt have to be someone who blindly follows stupid orders or is even in the military. Expsoing the lies, deciets, excesses and crimes of a government would be something that classifies someone as a hero.

And a 23 year old private is capable of comprehending the international ramifications of releasing a quarter million classified files to hacker who hates America?

No, I didn't. You apparently did - unless you are unable to post any examples that the US Government "has absolutely no commitment to democratic values and doesnt believe in freedom". You must be new to this Internet forum thing. You can post all the hyperbole you want but someone WILL call you on it to back it up - which you can't.

Errr. Trying to prevent disemination of information is an attack on freedom. Plenty of leaks on war crimes committed by military would seem to be against democratic values. etc. Google is your friend. It is usually best for people to educate themsleves I find. So I stick by that statement and could even say if you dont sagree with it why not provide examples of how committing war crimes and trying to prevent disemination which the US government are busy at is demonstrating a commitment to democratic values and freedom. I cant see it but am open to being convinced;)

And a 23 year old private is capable of comprehending the international ramifications of releasing a quarter million classified files to hacker who hates America?

Freedom of speech if you happen to believe they all came form one 23 year old private. Exposing truth is messy but necessary.

Freedom of speech if you happen to believe they all came form one 23 year old private. Exposing truth is messy but necessary.

Regardless of who the perpetrators are, Freedom of speech is a right that needs to be protected, criminal activity and endangering national security is one sure way to have those freedoms restricted. Clearly there has been no amazing revelation here among the leaks but what this fools errand has succeeded in doing is to threaten today's standard of freedom of communication, in the same way we lost our freedom to carry a juice box or toothpaste onto an airplane, among other things.

America is not exposed or damaged in any significant way, but it will react to further protect itself, and the cost will be paid by us all.

Believe it or not citizens do not have the right to know everything, and especially citizens of other countries. If this were not so, no government could function or protect itself.

Response to Hammered.

Hammered said, “It was ion answer to a question that was posted here and not removed by moderators so I guess fair game. Or was the intention of the question to get an answer that those framing it could then use as an excuse to get a fellow member into trouble with board policy? As those that oppose wikileaks oppose freedom it wouldn't be a surprise.”

I think the crux of your argument is that because the US government is so bad that it is OK or even heroic to violate the law in order to bring the US government down.

If that is correct then it is a topic of this thread, “because the US government is so bad it is acceptable to do anything illegal to bring down the US government?”

I think that is the majority of your argument. Or am I missing something.

I am trying to understand what you are saying without getting sidetracked into a bunch of other issues.

America is not exposed or damaged in any significant way, but it will react to further protect itself, and the cost will be paid by us all.

I would say the Amercian government will react to further protect itself and its interests. That is a little different from America

Personally I do beleive in complete freedom of information and think there should be no secrets and have no problem with people in other coutnries knowing the secrets of my or any other government. I have more faith in people in general than any government of any description in any country and believe the only way any government can be restrained is by everything it does being known by everyone. But we all have different opinions.

Response to Hammered.

Hammered said, “It was ion answer to a question that was posted here and not removed by moderators so I guess fair game. Or was the intention of the question to get an answer that those framing it could then use as an excuse to get a fellow member into trouble with board policy? As those that oppose wikileaks oppose freedom it wouldn't be a surprise.”

I think the crux of your argument is that because the US government is so bad that it is OK or even heroic to violate the law in order to bring the US government down.

If that is correct then it is a topic of this thread, “because the US government is so bad it is acceptable to do anything illegal to bring down the US government?”

I think that is the majority of your argument. Or am I missing something.

I am trying to understand what you are saying without getting sidetracked into a bunch of other issues.

Simply I think that it is OK or heroic to expose the excesses, wrongs and illegal actions of any government. In this case it is primarily the US government we are talking about but which one actually is irrelevant to me. I never said anything about bringing it down. That would be up to the people of the country but having those people properly informed is critical. I also think that having people across the world aware of the true nature of any government is a good thing.

To date no charges have been brought against wikileaks so nothing illegal has been done by them. That is different for Manning although to date he has not been proven guilty. Most governments have laws to restrict information and most whistleblowing has always been a breach of law anywhere in the world. What is worse though, breaching a secrecy law to expose governmental wrongdoing and illegalities or the illegalities done and hidden by government? All whistleblowers anywhere in the world are likely breaking laws but in many cases are celebrated as heroes.