Thai Driving License

I have a 5-yr Thai Driving License that will expire early next year. I believe I have to go back to Nathon Immigration and get them to write a letter verifying my visa. Five years ago it was 200B, but people tell me they charge anything they want up to 1000B. Has anyone renewed their's recently and, if so, how much was the letter? Any way to get this letter from somewhere else?

Just had a letter done,address confirmation Bht 500. It has been that for a considerable time now.The letter has to come from immigration. I also believe it's from where your visa is issued.In that case Samui immigration.

Some interesting reading Here. in particular have a look at post # 628

=============================================================================================================================

Roo, thanks. According to that thread, the blue book is not enough. You have to take your blue book to SIO and get the letter. If anyone has gotten the license with the book and not with the letter, I would like to know.

Renewed my 5 year last week. (car only). It was expired around 10 days already.

Arrived early (before 9am preferable). Produce copy of work permit (counter signed) and copy of passport with valid visa (also counter signed). Did not need immigration letter or doc cert or pic.

9.30am move upstairs to second floor. Thais first. :rolleyes:

For extensions like mine you need to do the color test (say the color of the dots the girl points out), the reaction test,(off the power on the brake within less than 1/2 sec.) a horizontal depth perception test (move the left stick per remote control that it alligns with the stationary right stick) and last was something I never had to do and its hard to explain. Put your chin on a metal frame and look at a yellow dot, then the girl presses a series of lights (red and green) which are left and right just within your frame of vision. Just repeat what colours she pressed.

Then go downstairs, pay 655 Baht.(You get a proper receipt) Sit down, get up again and have your pic taken by a high tec computer and a not so hi tec lady. Sit down. Get up again and receive your driving licence card (same like credit card, with magnetic strip and all info in Thai and in English. Valid for 6 years). Pay 10 Baht if you require a plastic pouch. Leave building 10.15am.

I have the blue house book -- the house is in my name. Is this acceptable?

If your name is in the house book yes.

I will not be able to be at Samui on the date of my license expire.......can I go earlier or how many days/weeks after without having to take the test again ??

DO NOT go later than 4 weeks after it expires, rather go a week earlier.

It mentions in the link that I have added, that they now require a medical certificate.As far as I can see Samui Coconut, didn't have to produce one. Any more info on that?

It mentions in the link that I have added, that they now require a medical certificate.As far as I can see Samui Coconut, didn't have to produce one. Any more info on that?

I needed to produce a medical last time, Work permit and Passport, no test etc. (Car and Bike):)

If your name is in the house book yes.

I will not be able to be at Samui on the date of my license expire.......can I go earlier or how many days/weeks after without having to take the test again ??

DO NOT go later than 4 weeks after it expires, rather go a week earlier.

Last time I did a driving license renewal I turned up on the Friday as my driving license ran out on the Saturday.

Rejected. Reason - old one was still valid.

I explained that as the government office was closed on Saturday, that meant that I would have to drive there on Monday - without a valid license! The lady looked at me as if I was stupid. "It's what everyone else does" said she.

Last time I did a driving license renewal I turned up on the Friday as my driving license ran out on the Saturday.

Rejected. Reason - old one was still valid.

I explained that as the government office was closed on Saturday, that meant that I would have to drive there on Monday - without a valid license! The lady looked at me as if I was stupid. "It's what everyone else does" said she.

That is correct. You can't renew your licence whilst the old one is still valid.

That is correct. You can't renew your licence whilst the old one is still valid.

Partially correct.

You can not get your first 5 year licence without having the temporary one for 1 year.

The 5 year licence you can renew before it expires.

Partially correct.

You can not get your first 5 year licence without having the temporary one for 1 year.

The 5 year licence you can renew before it expires.

PoorSucker is correct. I renewed my 5 year licence (due to expire December) in mid November.

It seems different Amphur offices have different requirements/procedures. I showed only copy of passport picture page, 1 year extension page and copy of Tabian Baan. No medical certificate required. I did only the colour test, and watched a driving safety video for nearly one hour. My picture was taken in the office, and a credit card size licence given to me. Total cost 650 Baht. A proper receipt was given

Here is one post:

Posted 2010-01-20 08:48

I,ve not read all the thread, but wish to imput the latest news re a 5 year renewal I was given yesterday for anyone who may wish to check it out at their nearest DL office.

I telephoned the local D.L. office at AEK Udonthani to check out the timing for renewal of my 5 year licence which is due while I,m back in the U.K.

They informed me I could apply up to ninety days prior to it,s expiry date or up to one year after.

I double checked what I was being told and they confirmed the above criteria.

They also confirmed they take your photo themselves and the new licence is a credit card type, which is good news and more user friendly than my last one.

marshbags jap.gif

More discussion HERE.

Here is one post:

Posted 2010-01-20 08:48

I,ve not read all the thread, but wish to imput the latest news re a 5 year renewal I was given yesterday for anyone who may wish to check it out at their nearest DL office.

I telephoned the local D.L. office at AEK Udonthani to check out the timing for renewal of my 5 year licence which is due while I,m back in the U.K.

They informed me I could apply up to ninety days prior to it,s expiry date or up to one year after.

I double checked what I was being told and they confirmed the above criteria.

They also confirmed they take your photo themselves and the new licence is a credit card type, which is good news and more user friendly than my last one.

marshbags jap.gif

More discussion HERE.

Thanks.....but the link doesnt work !

:jap:

500 baht to renew. u need your olss old and a docotor certifate get it form a clinic or bandon for no more than 150 baht and passprot and wprk permit.

if if u have anothre type of visa then u will have better to check what else u need. get there at 8.30 and bring copies of everything because that ripp off copy place out side the driver lescence center charges 10 baht a peice of paper. better to copy every page of your passport or at least the page with visa and the copy of the page with picture.

the main thing is doctor certificate i see people getting turned away because of it. actually i took a photo of the things u need hold on i will ccheck

:rolleyes: Only if the house is " Certified and Approved " by N---------. dam_n !

just pop down the transport ofice in the day time and get all the info u need direct from them. then come back the next govment day morning and once u have everthing that they asked for and handed it over then it should be plan sailing. it cost me in spetember 500 baht to re-new my bike liscence and 500 for car.

i had to produce doctor certifacte, work permet and passport. u don't need any passport photos as they take them in the tranport office. oh yes u will need to copy everything. do that before u go as that bloke out side is a proper rip off about 10 baht a peice of paper. that is about 1000 % profit per page