Trying To Get Best Pc Sound Going To My Headphones

Lopburi99

Greetings from very chilly Windsor Canada....

I'm trying to get the best possible sound quality out of my pc for my new headphones. I found a 'Speakers and Headphones Properties' area which has an 'Advanced' tab. In that tab I am allowed to select the 'sample rate and bit depth to be used in share mode' which has settings such as '16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality)' which is the default setting, but others up to '24 bit, 192000 Hz (Studio Quality)'. Running Windows 7

Any audiophiles know what these settings mean and when to use one or the other? Also, should I consider an external device which maybe cleans up the [music] signal coming out the headset jack, perhaps with an equalizer? Do software equalizers work as well as external boxes? Thank you.

Edited by astral
Removing the bold for you :D

I can't help you with the settings because I've never tried altering them, although the type of headphones will make a big difference to the sound quality. Which ones do you have? I purchases Everyman headphones on the Skype website which I found to have excellent quality when listening to mp3s. It also depends on what you consider to be good quality sound - many wouldn't even consider mp3 to be in that category, so for the best you can get through a PC it is:

download your music in lossless format. Using more space, but maximising the detail within it.

bypass the DAC in your PC by buying an external DAC on ebay. $300 very well spent. Connect the DAC to the PC and then your headphones to the DAC.

Alternatively, if you already have a good hi-fi system....buy a Squeezebox online (very highly regarded for about $300) and connect it to your PC. The music files are then transferred wirelessly to your hi-fi system, using it's DAC. Then just plug your headphones into the amp.

Whichever one suits you.

One external device that served me well was Creative's Soundblaster Extigy (see http://ixbtlabs.com/articles/extigy/), which is an external, self-contained "soundcard" that has all the inputs/outputs you could dream of (and then some), connects to any computer via USB, but also works standalone as an external preamp with own remote for just about anything (= DVD player with digital out => 5.1 system), just add powered speakers. Now, this thing came out 2002, so don't expect any drivers for a "modern" Windows. But -- as far as I know -- it still works as an external sound device by just plugging it into the USB port (but don't take my word for it). Of course, it does have headphones-out. Used to be available on Ebay, real cheap too.

I "switched" in the meantime; reason being playing/recording music. The newer thing is Alesis' iMultiMix8 USB, and boy, does it sound good! There's a radically scaled-down new version of it too (here: http://www.alesis.com/multimix4usb). I only know the Swiss price, and that's CHF 160, which should translate to roughly as many C$. Or use the "Big Mac Index" here: http://www.oanda.com/currency/big-mac-index to "translate" the price ;) Superb audio quality, plugs right into USB, no fuss, headphone output & all.