Rubber Farms

chang35baht

Someone recently PM'd me regarding wanting to buy a rubber farm and indicated that they would like to buy a farm that was almost ready to start tapping. I just thought that others may like to read and consider my answer to that person. So here goes.

Hi ???. My trees are still 1 year away from tapping. But during the last 6 years From buying, preparing the land. Buying the young rubber trees and planting them,Putting the right types of fertiliser at the right time of year is another very important aspect of rubber farming. I have been fortunate enough to be able to fertilise properly. Something that many Thais cannot afford to do. Hence my trees are larger and healthier than similar aged trees around

I have gained a vast amount of experince in rubber farming over these years. Something that you will miss out on if you just want to buy a farm that is ready to start tapping.

I have not formed a business. Everthing I have is in my wifes name. We have been together for more than 12 years so trust is not a problem for us. No other family members are invoved so unlike yourself her brothers, brothers in law etc don't have any say or any input whatsoever in what goes on, in and especially OUT of the farm. Nor will they ever.

How long have you been involved with your Thai family? Do you trust them completely as I do my wife?

Even tho my farm is 1 year away from tapping I would not sell my farm(20 rai) as the guaranteed income for the next 25-30 years is more important to me.

In answer to 1 other of your questions, my farm is in Chiang Rai.

How big a farm are you expecting to buy? How much would you be willing to pay? Who has the experience in your family to look at a potential farm that you may want to buy and say that the trees have been raised properly. I think that you cannot buy the knowledge that I have gained over the last 6 years and this is something that may come back to haunt you in the future.

Another thing that you have to be wary of is why would someone want to sell a rubber farm that is almost ready to start tapping. The price of rubber at the moment is very high.

If someone told you their trees are 6 years old how would you know. I know mine are 6 years old because I helped put them in the ground.

To sum up ???. I personally would be very wary of someone who is selling a rubber farm for whatever reason, however I wish you the very best of luck in you search for such a farm.

Please don't hesitate to contact me again if you have anymore questions and I will try to answer them to the best of my knowledge

Regards,

Chang35baht.

Edited by chang35baht

Unless the seller has hit hard times maybe, or perhaps wants to get his 20-30 years earnings up front.

Yes, I would be very wary too.

I'll have to stop by and look at your rubber trees sometime. perhaps on my way out to do some rock climbing ;)

Good Post, I am currently in the same boat,with 17 rai of trees, and another 28 a few years behind. I'm getting fairly excited at the possiblities and am actually looking to grow to about 125 rai. I am looking for land that is already planted but no luck yet, and what I have found they want a premium price for. I am out in the Ubon Ratchathani area, so if there is any one north of UBON toward Trakan looking to sell please contact me. Can someone tell me what they are getting for the latex right now. I am being told 150 baht per tree a month, does that sound right or is that high, because that is a fairly profitable return on my money. Thanks everyone, Merry Christams to all!

They don't really work it on a per tree basis. More ,they sell ,either Khee Yang or sheet. Those that can afford the machinery required ,make sheet. It is much more profitable, but requires in addition to the machinery, a smokehouse,to dry the sheets

Good Post, I am currently in the same boat,with 17 rai of trees, and another 28 a few years behind. I'm getting fairly excited at the possiblities and am actually looking to grow to about 125 rai. I am looking for land that is already planted but no luck yet, and what I have found they want a premium price for. I am out in the Ubon Ratchathani area, so if there is any one north of UBON toward Trakan looking to sell please contact me. Can someone tell me what they are getting for the latex right now. I am being told 150 baht per tree a month, does that sound right or is that high, because that is a fairly profitable return on my money. Thanks everyone, Merry Christams to all!

Please see posts numbered 18, 20 and 21 on this thread,

Please explain.

Sold yesterday 122 baht a kilo for ribbed smoked sheet. Jim

• 4 weeks later...