Australian Tourist Visa - Any Recent Experience

Artamus

Does anyone have any recent experience in obtaining an Australian Tourist visa for their wife/gf/partner.

Specifically I'd like to know about the process and if/how the application was lodged in/from Chiang Mai.

I've read all the application information on various Australian governement websites, and downloaded what I assume is the correct form (the 48R I think is the correct one).

Reading various notes it appears applications can be (should be?) made through the "Australian Visa Application Centre (info www.vfs-au.net)". According to their website they have an agent in Chiang Mai.

So, if anyone has done this recently did you use this Application Centre or deposit the application directly with the Embassy in Bangkok?

Has anyone used the Consulate in Chiang Mai? [i've not been able to talk to the Consulate as they never answer the phone). Do they process visa applications?

Any advice on recent experiences on getting a tourist visa welcome.

Many thanks

I've done this process three times for my girlfriend, the last time was in april this year. It's a doddle really, certainly compared to the european countries which make the word fortress look easy to get into.

We just did all the paperwork, then took it along to the vfs place on the hang dong road. I can't remember exactly where, but it's inside an export packing company. It's on the other side of the road to tesco lotus, and somewhere near there! I think you have to go before 2pm or something. Somebody there just checks you have all the papers and then they courier it down to the embassy in bkk. It then comes back to the company about a week later and they call you and you collect it. Done!

For me i include things like proof of my working, ie work permit, and that i am financing the trip. The key thing for them is do they think there's any chance of your wife/girlfriend not coming back to thailand.

Unless things have changed in the last few months, the great thing is you don't need to go to bkk, unlike those european countries.

This vfs company is the only point of contact for chiang mai dwellers.

It really should be pretty simple mate, good luck.

The visa agent is behind the Nissan Dealer complex on Hang Dong Rd heading south.5 minutes drive from Airport plaza.It is indeed inside a freight/transport depot with very little or no signage. Providing you have all the necessary documentation (form available from there or you can download) your approval should take no longer than 7 days.

Thanks guys. Has anyone applied for a multiple entry (we might make a couple of trips within 6 months)?

Any idea how far in advance an application can be made? 3 months?

Otherwise seems like it will be fine.

Edited by Artamus

I've done this process three times for my girlfriend, the last time was in april this year. It's a doddle really, certainly compared to the european countries which make the word fortress look easy to get into.

We just did all the paperwork, then took it along to the vfs place on the hang dong road. I can't remember exactly where, but it's inside an export packing company. It's on the other side of the road to tesco lotus, and somewhere near there! I think you have to go before 2pm or something. Somebody there just checks you have all the papers and then they courier it down to the embassy in bkk. It then comes back to the company about a week later and they call you and you collect it. Done!

For me i include things like proof of my working, ie work permit, and that i am financing the trip. The key thing for them is do they think there's any chance of your wife/girlfriend not coming back to thailand.

Unless things have changed in the last few months, the great thing is you don't need to go to bkk, unlike those european countries.

This vfs company is the only point of contact for chiang mai dwellers.

It really should be pretty simple mate, good luck.

A little of topic but I would like to add this.

You have to go to Bangkok for Canada also. You can do the US here in Chiang Mai. Both are like getting into a fortress.

Western ignorance at it's maximum.B)

I can confirm the procedures as outlined by others above.

However, one thing not memtioned is payment to VIS. I recommend you have your documents checked 1st, then go to the bank directly opposite VIS (on Hang Dong Road), they are aware of the procedure & very helpful.

Good luck

Thanks guys. Has anyone applied for a multiple entry (we might make a couple of trips within 6 months)?

Any idea how far in advance an application can be made? 3 months?

Otherwise seems like it will be fine.

Tourist Visa Sub Class 676 is the one you should aim for, multiple entry, 90days at a hit permitted, valid for 12 months. 48R THA (attached it) is the Thai version of the application. Once all the i's are dotted etc.. it's pretty easy to submit it to VFS. The visa will become valid the day it is issued, VFS suggests a 10 day issuance, I would leave it till a month before, save wasting it.

Edited by ozsamurai