Where Are The Best Local Food In Chiang Mai ?

healthcaretaker

How come I don't see any threads on the best local food places ?

Is it because most members here are foreigners ? I am sure there should be many Thai members here who know where are the best places for each type of Thai food.

Those familiar with guidebooks will know that food places(especially cheap food) recommended are not really the best. Maybe those guidebooks' "scouts" are foreigners who cannot differentiate which is better in local food or are they not being well "served" ?

Taste can be very individual's but I am sure when more people recommended the same place, it should be a reliable choice.

Let me make a start........

Usually Thai food are found either in restaurants, shops, markets or stalls that cook several types of Thai dishes to be served with rice, or just a specific type of food easily recognised from display in their stall or ready cooked on display in shops, market or stalls.

So far, I heard the lady with the cowboy hat at a stall along the main road near the moat , selling stew pork leg rice with egg is good; and across the moat into a lane inside the old city, there is a shop selling mixed pork ingredients soup is very famous. Both of these 2 are well-known amnong the locals. I am no good with the raod names and directions, maybe someone can help.

I asked about these places a year ago but I don't how to find my old threads, can anyone help ?

Can anyone recommend where to eat(and what are these food called in Thai ?) basil leaves fried with minced meat, kailan vegetables fried with roasted pork, or where is the best roasted pork ?

Where to have the best clear Tom Yam soup ?

Where is the best dessert stall that sells lotus seed soup or gingko in soya bean drinks ?

My favourite place for coffee is Black Canyon in Kad Duan Keaw, unfortunately their food is limited and just so-so but presentable

Edited by healthcaretaker

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ofcourse Rattana's Kitchen on Tapa road is a good old favorite, however, my personal favorites are 2 'Thai Food - Thai Prices' eateries one at Suthep Road, when coming from the moat, pass the Wat Suan Dog temple complex (slow down here) on left side a row of shops, several hairsalons. In the middle of this block the big 'twin-place' one is green inside. Great there are 'kao pad saparot' (yellow fried rice/w pineapple, cashewnuts, chicken etc.) and 'makaroni kai' and 'tom yam kai' for 35b each or so.

The other one, when coming from Tapae gate, at Wat Prasingh go left-then right, after the + junction the roofed garden-restaurant opposite the pink walled parkinglot. Interesting, very authentic place with cages birds and exotic fish, nice there is fried makaroni style noodlen with chicken, healthy food there. If you can read Thai, don't miss the board at the entrance telling the live-story of the owner who started as a streetvendor.

Ofcourse Rattana's Kitchen on Tapa road is a good old favorite, however, my personal favorites are 2 'Thai Food - Thai Prices' eateries one at Suthep Road, when coming from the moat, pass the Wat Suan Dog temple complex (slow down here) on left side a row of shops, several hairsalons. In the middle of this block the big 'twin-place' one is green inside. Great there are 'kao pad saparot' (yellow fried rice/w pineapple, cashewnuts, chicken etc.) and 'makaroni kai' and 'tom yam kai' for 35b each or so.

The other one, when coming from Tapae gate, at Wat Prasingh go left-then right, after the + junction the roofed garden-restaurant opposite the pink walled parkinglot. Interesting, very authentic place with cages birds and exotic fish, nice there is fried makaroni style noodlen with chicken, healthy food there. If you can read Thai, don't miss the board at the entrance telling the live-story of the owner who started as a streetvendor.

Thanks. Will definitely check out those 2 places in my next visit. Are these places more popular with Thais or foreigner tourists ? What is "kai" in the 2 items you mentioned ?

Thanks. Will definitely check out those 2 places in my next visit. Are these places more popular with Thais or foreigner tourists ? What is "kai" in the 2 items you mentioned ?

I think he meant "Gai" - chicken; for some reason many transliterations use k=g and kh=k.. Kai would be egg, and Tom Yum egg wouldn't be all that great. 

If a BKK based chain store is your idea of good coffee, I think that any suggestions I would make on other things would be wasted effort.

Then your mind is very small. Contributions to a forum is not meant for one single person.

:) It is why I used the word "I". so as not to suggest that other people's efforts would be wasted :)

the reason restaurants featured in the lonely planet are generally not he greatest is because just that they are r.i.p.(recommended in lonely planet)

it will bring success-expansion and the experience that the guests keep coming no matter what.

i have friends that got the bellyache after rattanas kitchen.....

fortunately most thaiplaces in chiang mai are good ,just check that thai people are eating there.a nice recommendation would be the little eatery next to dk bookstore ,to the right when in front of the bookstore.they have some of the best phadthai and also great pad krapao moo -the pork and basil leaf . open only in midday though you can eat there locally for 25 bt.

there were quite a number of threads on that topic -rtff-as usual--:rolleyes:

There is a great Korean noodle-soup place on Nimmaenheimmen Rd, quite close to the Doi Suthep End. I know it's not Thai, but it's Thailand's most popular 'other' cuisine (or so I've been told)

Can you please give a closer description ? How is the shop like and any name ?

If you are coming from the town centre, you turn left to get onto Nimmeinhemmin Rd. Not too far down, there is an internet place on the main road (on your left). There is also an ATM/Bank on the other side of the road. It might be the first internet cafe you go past?

Next to the internet cafe is the Korean place. The noodle soup was great, and the staff we friendly. The internet cafe is also nice, and I think they do movie-rooms and stuff.

Hope your find it, and like it!

the reason restaurants featured in the lonely planet are generally not he greatest is because just that they are r.i.p.(recommended in lonely planet)

it will bring success-expansion and the experience that the guests keep coming no matter what.

fortunately most thaiplaces in chiang mai are good ,just check that thai people are eating there.a nice recommendation would be the little eatery next to dk bookstore ,to the right when in front of the bookstore.they have some of the best phadthai and also great pad krapao moo -the pork and basil leaf . open only in midday though you can eat there locally for 25 bt.

I think the reason for the lack of response, is that there are so many differing local (and very cheap) food places and as stated above most of them are terrific value. It's hard to walk anywhere in Chiang Mai without coming across a little place packed with locals. Just take a walk, park yourself in one and try what's on offer - eating and a soft drink for 40 Baht still remains one of Chiang Mai's bargains and if you don't like it you won't lose much, unlike in some restaurants.

Where is this "dk bookstore" and "when in front" to you is facing it or facing out ?

From my travelling experience I received, as well as my own country's info, in comparing all the popular guidebooks, I will give lonely planet(from a score of 0 to 5: Food(0), Accommodation(2) Places of Interests(3) Map Usefulness(4).

I think their writers are very biased for some obvious reasons or have very weird tastes. I have asked most of the best local food and "good-value" accommodations why they are not listed in lp book, their answers are mostly: 1) they have not been approached, 2) they have never contact them to be included; or 3) they have been offered with some "conditions" which they won't agree. :blink:

So, better and more reliable to share info among ourselves in forums like this :D

There is a great Korean noodle-soup place on Nimmaenheimmen Rd, quite close to the Doi Suthep End. I know it's not Thai, but it's Thailand's most popular 'other' cuisine (or so I've been told)

Can you please give a closer description ? How is the shop like and any name ?

If you are coming from the town centre, you turn left to get onto Nimmeinhemmin Rd. Not too far down, there is an internet place on the main road (on your left). There is also an ATM/Bank on the other side of the road. It might be the first internet cafe you go past?

Next to the internet cafe is the Korean place. The noodle soup was great, and the staff we friendly. The internet cafe is also nice, and I think they do movie-rooms and stuff.

Hope your find it, and like it!

Ok thanks. So it's just pass the Kad Suan Keaw Shopping ? Your descriptions sound like near to a outdoor local food restaurant store(which I asked in another thread) that I am trying to locate, I will sure look for it on a hungry day, in case I have to eat in both places, after my afternoon coffee at Black Canyon in Kad Suan Keaw.:)

I think the reason for the lack of response, is that there are so many differing local (and very cheap) food places and as stated above most of them are terrific value. It's hard to walk anywhere in Chiang Mai without coming across a little place packed with locals. Just take a walk, park yourself in one and try what's on offer - eating and a soft drink for 40 Baht still remains one of Chiang Mai's bargains and if you don't like it you won't lose much, unlike in some restaurants.

Agree, but with a visit of only 3 to 4 days and one can eat only around 3 times a day; and bringing 2 friends who are first-timner to CM, I want to give them the BEST(taste, not ambience):D

I am sure there are some places that are more "outstanding" than others. Maybe the locals are not regularly here or the regulars here are mostly not locals.:jap:

when going south on kotchasarn rd-kcoming from tha phae gate dk will be on the left after loi kroh rd-going in towards the book stores parking lot the mentioned place will be to the right.

if you really want to have a few solid recommendations on thai food places and what to order and eat there it would be better to get together with a moped and a map. send message if you want to.it will only take a couple of hrs.

nachang.com/travelmenu

http://chanchao.fotopages.com/

two links from recent blogs

Edited by uptoyoumyfriend

when going south on kotchasarn rd-kcoming from tha phae gate dk will be on the left after loi kroh rd-going in towards the book stores parking lot the mentioned place will be to the right.

if you really want to have a few solid recommendations on thai food places and what to order and eat there it would be better to get together with a moped and a map. send message if you want to.it will only take a couple of hrs.

nachang.com/travelmenu

Thanks for these 2 links but how reliable are the reviews ?

1) Can i know Chanchao is a foreigner or a Thai ?

2) The 1st page put me off and made me feel suspicious - Is he promoting for Starbucks ? In my country, Starbucks is better known as Suckbucks because their americano and freshly brewed coffee are knowned to be very light and tasteless, compared to Secret Recipe, Delifrance, Dome, San Francisco, which are all better. There are so many other cafes that sell better brewed coffee at much lower prices in Thailand or CM but yet he don't mention. He mention he has interest for cheaper places but why promote Starbucks ? I personally feel Black Canyon's coffee is better than Starbucks and muchg cheaper, especially for the ice-blendeds, nearly half the price of Suckbucks !!

3) Anyway, I went thro all the 14 pages(?) and feel skeptical on the accuracy of his previews. I don't think he know the local food well in CM. Page 8, for instance, the "pork leg" rice, the "lady with cowhat" stall was not mentioned at all.

4) There are so many food stalls selling the more popular and well-known local food, cheap but not mentioned by him. Why ? Instead, he promote some "food-courts", strange. There is a famous congee shop and another selling pig-ingredients soup not mentioned. How could a food lover know so little ? Has he stopped eating since 2004 :D

Anyway it's 2004 and i think the webmaster is no longer interested for updates; but the Suckbucks promotion is obvious.

No offence, Chanchao or anyone :jap:

hi,

the places we have found are best are :

for chicken - just off the moat near chiang mai gate .

for noodle soup etc - road that leads alongside the 3 kings monument on the left behind the big budda statue.

dim sum - there's a place in kad suan kaew shopping center that's ptrety gud or the one near night bazaar - there's also a fish place opposite side of road soups etc.

shabushi sushi beffet - airport plaza or night bazaar is sometimes as good.

all these places are always busy with locals and very good value.

i can't think of the other places at the moment .

chris

hi,

the places we have found are best are :

for chicken - just off the moat near chiang mai gate .

for noodle soup etc - road that leads alongside the 3 kings monument on the left behind the big budda statue.

dim sum - there's a place in kad suan kaew shopping center that's ptrety gud or the one near night bazaar - there's also a fish place opposite side of road soups etc.

shabushi sushi beffet - airport plaza or night bazaar is sometimes as good.

all these places are always busy with locals and very good value.

i can't think of the other places at the moment .

chris

Thank you very much chris but your message is unclear,

If I come out of the old city to chiang mai gate, "off the moat" means opposite ? Do I need to cross the road ? It's a shop or stall ? To the left or right ?

Is there a big buddha statue near 3 kings monument ? Shop or stall ? What kind of noodle soup ?

nachang.com/travelmenu

2) The 1st page put me off and made me feel suspicious - Is he promoting for Starbucks ? In my country, Starbucks is better known as Suckbucks because their americano and freshly brewed coffee are knowned to be very light and tasteless, compared to Secret Recipe, Delifrance, Dome, San Francisco, which are all better. There are so many other cafes that sell better brewed coffee at much lower prices in Thailand or CM but yet he don't mention. He mention he has interest for cheaper places but why promote Starbucks ? I personally feel Black Canyon's coffee is better than Starbucks and muchg cheaper, especially for the ice-blendeds, nearly half the price of Suckbucks !!

3) Anyway, I went thro all the 14 pages(?) and feel skeptical on the accuracy of his previews. I don't think he know the local food well in CM. Page 8, for instance, the "pork leg" rice, the "lady with cowhat" stall was not mentioned at all.

4) There are so many food stalls selling the more popular and well-known local food, cheap but not mentioned by him. Why ? Instead, he promote some "food-courts", strange. There is a famous congee shop and another selling pig-ingredients soup not mentioned. How could a food lover know so little ? Has he stopped eating since 2004 :D

Anyway it's 2004 and i think the webmaster is no longer interested for updates; but the Suckbucks promotion is obvious.

sorry for outdated information i just thought it would be a good lead to some of your own sampling also the menu might be of interest.i offered a tour already but will not post all the places and dishes here.

personally i agree with the coffee thing as i always get cafe bolan(oldfashioned) thai coffee.

You might find this recent thread useful :

http://maps.google.c...f5f6b4ae9cca40b

Thank you. Wonder who made those choices ?

I wil like to get some locals' choices. Someone's personal preferences, not a commercial website :rolleyes:

I was aware of your preference for a personal flavour to the choices which is why I pointed you in the direction of a thread entitled, "My Food Map to Chiang Mai" started earlier this year by one, "wjmark", a TV member of three years standing, who was kind enough to compile and post a list of his personal favourite, local, mostly Thai, but not exclusively so,eating haunts. At the time, it was received with gratitude by most members who realised the research that it must have taken to produce. It's strange that someone asking for exactly that information should be so blind to its merits and simply dismiss it with contempt as a commercial website. One quick glance at his map would be enough to dispell that error. I hope you are more discerning in your choice of restaurants. annoyed.gif

nachang.com/travelmenu

sorry for outdated information i just thought it would be a good lead to some of your own sampling also the menu might be of interest.i offered a tour already but will not post all the places and dishes here.

personally i agree with the coffee thing as i always get cafe bolan(oldfashioned) thai coffee.

Cafe bolan ? Where is it ?

nachang.com/travelmenu

Cafe bolan ? Where is it ?

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

i am always keen to try the `locals´ eateries but if the menu is thai-only and no-one there speaks any english then you are a bit stuck! lemontree restaurant at the bottom of Huay Kaew on the right hand side if you are leaving the centre has a full menu in thai and english and serves up consistently good thai food at fair prices