Where Are The Best Local Food In Chiang Mai ?

healthcaretaker

"..., the food is more important than the ambience, unlike westerners :D I prefer to eat in cheap places but order more. "

I feel exactly the same and some places seem to worry more about the ambience than the taste/quality of their food. Of the years I spent over here in this wonderful country I've found better tasting food in the back soi restaurants around the city than in the classier establishments. Give me a choice between a 5-star hotel restaurant and a smaller side street restaurant with a black seasoned wok, I'll take the latter. (after dinner, it's the 5-star for drinks and the live music entertainment :rolleyes: ).

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"..., the food is more important than the ambience, unlike westerners :D I prefer to eat in cheap places but order more. "

I feel exactly the same and some places seem to worry more about the ambience than the taste/quality of their food. Of the years I spent over here in this wonderful country I've found better tasting food in the back soi restaurants around the city than in the classier establishments. Give me a choice between a 5-star hotel restaurant and a smaller side street restaurant with a black seasoned wok, I'll take the latter. (after dinner, it's the 5-star for drinks and the live music entertainment :rolleyes: ).

Oh..can't agree more. Good tatse !!

One of the reason those poor looking places usually have better food than the better establishments is they(the poor ones) knew their food is good and confidence about it.

Edited by healthcaretaker

Please elaborate on Another reason is food is being overshadowed by the sex industry because I haven't a clue what you are talking about :huh:

The rising quality of food in Chiang Mai is certainly out-pacing the quality of the local sex industry. :(

This sounds good but I hope the rising demand on taste & quality of "Thai" food will also out-pace the demand for sex among the farangs. :D

and yet again you stereotype "farangs" and associate them with the sex industry. Showing exactly how little you know about both "farangs" and asians (strange huh?)

Wang Tan restaraunt on Hang Dong Rd

on the left after BigC and 7/11

Has excellent northern Thai food

as well as regular Thai food and a

few farang dishes. Great lake side

setting, lovely looking friendly staff

and wine @ 59bht/glass + live music

David

Sorry I lost this thread recently because I don't see it in "my topics" column.

Thank you and your gf for the info but I think this place is more for ambience and quite pricey, right ?

Maybe I mixed up with Riverview ?

I am an Asian so when I eat, the food is more important than the ambience, unlike westerners :D I prefer to eat in cheap places but order more.

Among the Thai cheap food, my favourite is the basil leaves fried with minced meat but those 25 baht portion with an egg sold early in markets is too simple and little. I prefer them freshly done. Seafood tom yam(cleaar type), and noodle with mixed pork ingredients soup are my 3 top Thai food that I have tried. I maybe missing alot since I don't kn ow how to order and I have no Thai friends to help me order :(

The food at Riverside is always very good, both Thais and western people enjoy eating there.

The place next door is named 'Good View', the food is dire and wildly overpriced ....... someone else said it was good ..... they must be mad!

and yet again you stereotype "farangs" and associate them with the sex industry. Showing exactly how little you know about both "farangs" and asians (strange huh?)

I find that men of all races usually enjoy sex and food ...... add beer and music for a full house.

Is that a problem?

Edited by sarahsbloke

My vote for best clear Tom Yam is the restaurant (sign in Thai only) directly opposite the international terminal at the airport - accross the car park.

KhunDave,

I heard about this place too but I cannot find it during my last visit.

As I look out from the International Terminal at the entrance, I cannot see any restaurant. The area is quite big so I did not look for it. Finally, I found a restaurant more like a small food court at the right side's corner. Left side of the building if facing it.

Edited by healthcaretaker

Sorry I lost this thread recently because I don't see it in "my topics" column.

Thank you and your gf for the info but I think this place is more for ambience and quite pricey, right ?

Maybe I mixed up with Riverview ?

I am an Asian so when I eat, the food is more important than the ambience, unlike westerners :D I prefer to eat in cheap places but order more.

Among the Thai cheap food, my favourite is the basil leaves fried with minced meat but those 25 baht portion with an egg sold early in markets is too simple and little. I prefer them freshly done. Seafood tom yam(cleaar type), and noodle with mixed pork ingredients soup are my 3 top Thai food that I have tried. I maybe missing alot since I don't kn ow how to order and I have no Thai friends to help me order :(

The food at Riverside is always very good, both Thais and western people enjoy eating there.

The place next door is named 'Good View', the food is dire and wildly overpriced ....... someone else said it was good ..... they must be mad!

I prefer Good View.

Great Band :)

David

I find that men of all races usually enjoy sex and food ...... add beer and music for a full house.

Is that a problem?

True but in Thailand, I am sure the customers are mostly farangs and less locals. I wonder among the farangs in Thailand, are there more westerners or asians ?

My guess is western and asians farangs are quite equal in numbers among the tourists but but more western farangs customers in the sex industry since they are richer.

When it come to food, the western farangs care more for ambience while the asian farangs care more for the food.

That's my observation.

Is that a problem?

As long as the beer isn't Budweiser!:crying:

Edited by ThaiWx

Wang Tan restaraunt on Hang Dong Rd

on the left after BigC and 7/11

Has excellent northern Thai food

as well as regular Thai food and a

few farang dishes. Great lake side

setting, lovely looking friendly staff

and wine @ 59bht/glass + live music

David

Thank you but I guess this place is a bit out of town ? Since I dont see any BigC in CM city centre.

Do you like this place for the food or the wine and music ?(Since you prefer Riverview over Riverside because of the Great Band ?)

I am just looking for nice food, not the ambience but good music will be a bonus :)

Is that a problem?

True but in Thailand, I am sure the customers are mostly farangs and less locals. I wonder among the farangs in Thailand, are there more westerners or asians ?

My guess is western and asians farangs are quite equal in numbers among the tourists but but more western farangs customers in the sex industry since they are richer.

When it come to food, the western farangs care more for ambience while the asian farangs care more for the food.

That's my observation.

I don't think you have a clue about this country about the Thais or the farangs that frequent it. The domestic sex industry is huge compared to the that geared towards tourists and a lot more seedy. To get back on topic before this thread gets a banning, food related topics seem to be the most popular with the Chiang Mai posters.

That's my observation.

I don't think you have a clue about this country about the Thais or the farangs that frequent it. The domestic sex industry is huge compared to the that geared towards tourists and a lot more seedy. To get back on topic before this thread gets a banning, food related topics seem to be the most popular with the Chiang Mai posters.

Apparently hct has never seen the busses of asian tourists pulling up at the massage parlors nor could he spot a place geared for locals. The word farang = white westerners, so there are no "asian farang".

The Chinese, Japanese, and Korean tourists certainly have a significant amount of wealth (though there are plenty of midrange package tourists as well) and the restaurants and other places geared for them are significantly about the ambiance and they pay heavily for it.

Is that a problem?

That's my observation.

You may be right. Maybe my observations are based on only the touristy areas like Silom & Sukhimvit where I see more farangs than locals.

I have always think that the word "farang" is the Thai word for "foreigner" since it's derived from the word "farangi". So all along I refer farang as all foreigners, so no offence to the whites :)

Back to best local food, I still think the locals' opinions will suit my taste better.:)

I am so surprise there is no thread on the best local food in CM...as you mentioned food related topic is the most popular here.

Anway, I have got quite a few recommendations already ....still looking forward to someone who can recommend a place for "basil leaves fried with minced meat".

Give me a choice between a 5-star hotel restaurant and a smaller side street restaurant with a black seasoned wok, I'll take the latter.

An interesting related side note is that up in my neck of the woods, north in Mae Rim, there is a well known 5-star resort that also has longer term "residences". A few of the longer term guests have discovered the local lunch spot favored by just about everyone, the kind of anonymous roadside open-air eatery with a plank wood floor and a corrugated roof, and they have taken to be frequenting this spot for their lunch hour finding the Thai food there to be far better quality at 1/10th the price than that of the hotel's Thai food. It is always a hoot to see them dressed in their designer clothes kissing each other on the cheek in greeting at such a down to earth noodle shop.

The Jerusalem Falafel (sp?) is really good and doesn't get brought up much.. mr chan's and miss pauline's is great too. Duke's is lousy in my opinion.

Care to elaborate a bit on locations and/or how to find these places? Many who read here, even those of us who have been around a bit, are new to CM and really don't know where much is.

The Jerusalem Falafel sounds neat.

The trouble with recommending good eating places is that it is directly against ones' self interest - The good food stalls are crowded enough already!

So just look for very busy places, and you won't go far wrong. Busy with Thai & falang, that is. And experiment by going to different food stall crammed areas. It's fun too.

The trouble with recommending good eating places is that it is directly against ones' self interest - The good food stalls are crowded enough already!

So just look for very busy places, and you won't go far wrong. Busy with Thai & falang, that is. And experiment by going to different food stall crammed areas. It's fun too.

Oh no...not experimenting. I am not there for long stay..... :rolleyes:

Speaking of ambience....I find some cheap places have their owm ambience too.

Having supper along the road at one of those stalls between the morning market and the moat north of Tapae gate has ambience of its own, You really feel everyone there is seriously to eat something of their choice rather than an air-cond nice restaurant, where the customers appea like being there to accompany or entertain nsomeone instead of enjoying the food.

I like those bright and airy shops where you eat among the locals. It's so authentic. In a hotel restaurant, this authentic-food-ambience is gone.

Even better is when sharing table with some locals, they will help you to translate and the special look in their faces seeing me happy with Thai food. You can't see such happy faces from the waiters in a better restaurant.:)

Speaking of ambience....I find some cheap places have their owm ambience too.

Having supper along the road at one of those stalls between the morning market and the moat north of Tapae gate has ambience of its own, You really feel everyone there is seriously to eat something of their choice rather than an air-cond nice restaurant, where the customers appea like being there to accompany or entertain nsomeone instead of enjoying the food.

I like those bright and airy shops where you eat among the locals. It's so authentic. In a hotel restaurant, this authentic-food-ambience is gone.

Even better is when sharing table with some locals, they will help you to translate and the special look in their faces seeing me happy with Thai food. You can't see such happy faces from the waiters in a better restaurant.:)

higher class, high-so, hotel, indoor, seen to the public, maybe but not necessarily better.:)

I also enjoy the atmosphere you describe, being with your sweatheart and/or friends in one of those outdoor stalls. Plus you can have your food tailored to the way you prefer as it's being cooked at these places easier than in the bigger restaurants. I used to have colleagues come visit from abroad who ate at both of the different style establishments. After several trips over here the majority also agreed with the taste being better at the little side soi restaurants although some folks prefer their personal appearance being in a classy atmosphere 1st and the food quality/taste 2nd. My stomach comes before my thoughts of what others think. Priorities I guess. :whistling:

Edited by ThaiWx

There is a place near Grace Dental on Soi 11 Nimmanhemin that has great gai yang (grilled chicken). Head away from Nimmanhemin on Soi 11, you will pass Grace Dental on your left then there will be a place with a lot of smoke from the bbq charcoal. (Note: It is closer to Sirimunkalajarn Road). It is kind of a big place and many people eat there. We usually take it to go - one grilled chicken, one order of som tam and 2 orders of sticky rice. It's a great meal! I think they are closed on Mondays.

There is a place near Grace Dental on Soi 11 Nimmanhemin that has great gai yang (grilled chicken). Head away from Nimmanhemin on Soi 11, you will pass Grace Dental on your left then there will be a place with a lot of smoke from the bbq charcoal. (Note: It is closer to Sirimunkalajarn Road). It is kind of a big place and many people eat there. We usually take it to go - one grilled chicken, one order of som tam and 2 orders of sticky rice. It's a great meal! I think they are closed on Mondays.

Thank you. So, is it in Soi 11 or where ? What's their business time ?

Thank you. So, is it in Soi 11 or where ? What's their business time ?

Yes, it is on Soi 11 very close to Grace Dental. I'm not sure of their business hours. We have been there lunchtime to very late afternoon.

I would like to recommend a resturant called pirates cove, its just changed hands and is now run by an American guy although the cooks are Thai. The Thai food there is excellent and very well priced around 50b or so. Its on Ratchamanka road opporsite anodard hotel.

Another good Thai resturant is on Chan Klan road next to seven eleven at the end of Chiang Mai Land. It has good seafood dishes andis traditionally Thai.

Let me know what you think if either of these appeal to you. Never had any problems in either and eat there regulally. While in CM you should also try Khao Soy (a thai coconut soap with soft and crunchy yellow noodles, it comes with chicken) delicious and only available in the north.

ENJOY

Had another thought, don't miss the mukatar (thai BBQ) probably spelt wrong......there are several i Chiang Mai but I'd recommend ...

Huay Khao road behind Hillside 4 plaza.........7 days a week eat at much as you want inc prawns, squid etc for 189b inc free coke and water.

Again huge selection great food, cook it yourself, and even live entertainment on stage!

Hope this helps

Had another thought, don't miss the mukatar (thai BBQ) probably spelt wrong......there are several i Chiang Mai but I'd recommend ...

Huay Khao road behind Hillside 4 plaza.........7 days a week eat at much as you want inc prawns, squid etc for 189b inc free coke and water.

Again huge selection great food, cook it yourself, and even live entertainment on stage!

Hope this helps

Thanks, where is Chiang Mai Land and "Huay Khao raod behind Hillside 4 plaza" ? Are they in the city ?

:D I have been waiting for some recommendations on these Thai eat-all-you-can BBQ, some come with steamboats. Always see them on the way somewhere but don't know which is a good place. What live entertainment has this ?

"Huay Khao Road" - usually spelt "Huay Kaew Road". It is the road that leads from the North-Western corner of the moat up to the mountain Doi Suthep. "Hillside 4 Plaza" - located off Huay Kaew Road. "Chiang Mai Land" - a small road of shop houses, entertainment places and restaurants that connects Chang Khlan Road* with Mahidol Road* south of the city. *Mahidol Road is the multi-lane highway stretching from the Superhighway to the Airport. *Chang Khlan Road is the road that has the Night Bazaar. If you go further south from the Night Bazaar you will eventually find the entrance to Chiang Mai Land on your right hand side.

The best beef khaw soi has to be in the soi opposite Chiangmail land,off Changklan Rd.

Go down past the mosque and it's on the left opposite a hairdressers.

It hasn't changed in 11 years because it doesn't need to :D,no frills,no bells or whistles,just great food.

The best beef khaw soi has to be in the soi opposite Chiangmail land,off Changklan Rd.

Go down past the mosque and it's on the left opposite a hairdressers.

It hasn't changed in 11 years because it doesn't need to :D,no frills,no bells or whistles,just great food.

I'll 2nd that! Great taste and those little fried meat on a stick thingy's (meat kabobs?) are great there too! :D

"Huay Khao Road" - usually spelt "Huay Kaew Road". It is the road that leads from the North-Western corner of the moat up to the mountain Doi Suthep. "Hillside 4 Plaza" - located off Huay Kaew Road. "Chiang Mai Land" - a small road of shop houses, entertainment places and restaurants that connects Chang Khlan Road* with Mahidol Road* south of the city. *Mahidol Road is the multi-lane highway stretching from the Superhighway to the Airport. *Chang Khlan Road is the road that has the Night Bazaar. If you go further south from the Night Bazaar you will eventually find the entrance to Chiang Mai Land on your right hand side.

Thank you for the directions. :D I guess these places can be reached with those usual 20 baht a trip songtheaw ? Or do I need a private tuk-tuk or taxi ?