Where Are The Best Local Food In Chiang Mai ?

healthcaretaker

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During the day the Happy Bar in MoonMuang Soi 2 serves really good Thai food, as good as anywhere according to Thais and myself. Large Chang 60bht

(Nok is the best cook but just gone on hols, but Mey is almost as good)

Pat Prik Geng Gai = Chilli curry chicken (with rice) about 50bht

Grapow Moo Sap = Minced pork with Bay leaves (with rice) 45 bht

There are many other places I like to eat where Thai dishes are 25 bht, 45 bht. I have never found that expensive = good with Thai food.

The other places are hard to describe, you just have to know where they are.

hi,

the noodle shop is next to the juice lady it's different sized noodles can choose and red or brown soup - fish based extras - very good and approx. 70 baht maybe - you can miss it behind the buda statue in the wooden enclosure walk past juice lady and shop on left - quite big and will have people in during the day, you may find the menu tricky , i usually have the largest soft white noodles and the red liquid - difficult to describe what goes into it not very fishy but worth a visit for the money and head and shoulders better than most noodle places in CM.

the chicken place is a small shop next to the gasoline garage and large bangkok bank just outside the city moat facing the moat - again very well priced and chicken and clear soup and rice etc

these two places aren't really restraunts you would go out for an evening for more just lunch time and take away also.

don't expect too much but for the money excelent food.

gf said there's good thai food on the riverside but pay more - i can ask if u want ?

we have about half a dozen different places we goto regually .

many places you also have to try different dishes on the menu to see what they do best.

chris

hi,

the places we have found are best are :

for chicken - just off the moat near chiang mai gate .

for noodle soup etc - road that leads alongside the 3 kings monument on the left behind the big budda statue.

dim sum - there's a place in kad suan kaew shopping center that's ptrety gud or the one near night bazaar - there's also a fish place opposite side of road soups etc.

shabushi sushi beffet - airport plaza or night bazaar is sometimes as good.

all these places are always busy with locals and very good value.

i can't think of the other places at the moment .

chris

Thank you very much chris but your message is unclear,

If I come out of the old city to chiang mai gate, "off the moat" means opposite ? Do I need to cross the road ? It's a shop or stall ? To the left or right ?

Is there a big buddha statue near 3 kings monument ? Shop or stall ? What kind of noodle soup ?

hi,

the noodle shop is next to the juice lady it's different sized noodles can choose and red or brown soup - fish based extras - very good and approx. 70 baht maybe - you can miss it behind the buda statue in the wooden enclosure walk past juice lady and shop on left - quite big and will have people in during the day, you may find the menu tricky , i usually have the largest soft white noodles and the red liquid - difficult to describe what goes into it not very fishy but worth a visit for the money and head and shoulders better than most noodle places in CM.

the chicken place is a small shop next to the gasoline garage and large bangkok bank just outside the city moat facing the moat - again very well priced and chicken and clear soup and rice etc

these two places aren't really restraunts you would go out for an evening for more just lunch time and take away also.

gf said there's good thai food on the riverside but pay more - i can ask if u want ?

many places you also have to try different dishes on the menu to see what they do best.

chris

hi,

for noodle soup etc - road that leads alongside the 3 kings monument on the left behind the big budda statue.

dim sum - there's a place in kad suan kaew shopping center that's ptrety gud or the one near night bazaar - there's also a fish place opposite side of road soups etc.

chris

If I come out of the old city to chiang mai gate, "off the moat" means opposite ? Do I need to cross the road ? It's a shop or stall ? To the left or right ?

Is there a big buddha statue near 3 kings monument ? Shop or stall ? What kind of noodle soup ?

In answer to your very reasonable questions I feel a burning desire to help with the following :

"If I come out of the old city to chiang mai gate, "off the moat" means opposite?" No.It was a misprint. It should read "off the boat" . Quite clear now?

"Do I need to cross the road ?" Not unless you're a chicken.

"It's a shop or stall ?" Yes.

"To the left or right ?" No. Straight up.

"Is there a big buddha statue near 3 kings monument ?" Yes, there is.

"Shop or stall ?" See above.

"What kind of noodle soup ?" That would be soup with noodles in it.

hi,

chris

hi,

chris

Sure thank you. Please ask your gf where is the place if the food is really oustanding..:)

Is anyone starting to figure out why there are so few threads on these little places? It is so difficult to pinpoint them that most people do not bother.

I think the main reason is members here are mostly farangs whose taste of local food is not as important as the ambience. Most foreigners also think cheap food in CM is not hygenic. I think compare to Malaysia and Indonesia where they still use bare hand to prepare the food, Thailand is very much cleaner; at leat it appears. And the foodcourts in BKK even provide warm water to clean the cutlery, not sure about CM.

Another reason is food is being overshadowed by the sex industry.

In times to come when more attention is being paid to the food, I think more members will be willing to contribute :)

hi,

chris

hi,

chris

In answer to your very reasonable questions I feel a burning desire to help with the following :

"If I come out of the old city to chiang mai gate, "off the moat" means opposite?" No.It was a misprint. It should read "off the boat" . Quite clear now?

"Do I need to cross the road ?" Not unless you're a chicken.

"It's a shop or stall ?" Yes.

"To the left or right ?" No. Straight up.

"Is there a big buddha statue near 3 kings monument ?" Yes, there is.

"Shop or stall ?" See above.

"What kind of noodle soup ?" That would be soup with noodles in it.

Not funny, rather silly. Anyway nice try :lol:

Edited by healthcaretaker

Is anyone starting to figure out why there are so few threads on these little places? It is so difficult to pinpoint them that most people do not bother.

I think the main reason is members here are mostly farangs whose taste of local food is not as important as the ambience. Most foreigners also think cheap food in CM is not hygenic. I think compare to Malaysia and Indonesia where they still use bare hand to prepare the food, Thailand is very much cleaner; at leat it appears. And the foodcourts in BKK even provide warm water to clean the cutlery, not sure about CM.

In times to come when more attention is being paid to the food, I think more members will be willing to contribute :)

How nice of you to stereotype "most farang".

I'm with UG on this one.

Please elaborate on Another reason is food is being overshadowed by the sex industry because I haven't a clue what you are talking about :huh:

"Fried Noodles with pock is in a league of its own."~ Thighlander

I can easily believe it. :lol:

But it is true that some delicious offerings are hard to track down. For example, the best duck soup I have found (so far) I can get from a street vendor who sets up on the outer part of the north-side canal just west of the big high Ford sign. Of course, even gps coordinates can't work because his kitchen is in a somewhat different place every night. Yellow fringe on his roof. With directions like that, the best I can do, it's hardly worth trying - until you have a bowl, and by that time, you have found the fellow.

I have to agree that I'm one of those farang for whom ambiance is important sometimes. Once temperatures arrive near 40, I opt for places like Black Canyon - air conditioned - or I don't enjoy my food. I dislike chains in principle, but their food is edible and has a certain hygienic aspect about it.

Edited by CMX

Som Tom....turn right just b-4 YMCA and go straight for about 2 km - at intersection that looks like if you go straight you will dead end, turn left (excellent noodle shop just across the street on your right) and flow to the right you will then see the a left tun with a sign on the light post in thai with bright arrow. follow this and about 40 mteres on the left is Som Tom's - best in Thailand and bring thai friend - no angrit!

Curry house "Baan Curry" all you can eat and every type for 59 bht. Includes salads and vegies and rice and deserts - all traditional thai. The curries - green- masaman-red pork- yellow and cooconust chicken....you get the picture. Turn into Wat Jed Yod and follow the right fork to the next right fork - stay right past the Tech school untill you dead end and turn right ove the bridge. This is one way and about 40 mteres down you will see Baan Curry acroos the canal. So, follow the road you are on and when is deads turn right and right again into the opposite direction you just came and on the left...cant miss it loaded with cars and bike only open to 4:00 so great lunch - sanook mak mak

Kcore

(I woke up early this morning... so I decided to enter a pointless argument on the internet!)

... members here are mostly farangs whose taste of local food is not as important as the ambience. Most foreigners also think cheap food in CM is not hygenic...

Interesting that after you insult people you usually use a smiley :) .

I have a fantastic Google map of great local food. But I didn't post it as I don't like the insults and the racism. (I also hate smileys! <_< )

There is lots of great cheap food in Chiangmai (and not all is 'sex-burgers' or 'short-time pizza'). Too bad that you are not getting the help you ask for.

Don't worry, trust me. I won't tell others about the places. I am a Asian Chinese and I won't bring other farangs along...

tsk tsk

Edited by wjmark

... the best duck soup I have found (so far) I can get from a street vendor who sets up on the outer part of the north-side canal just west of the big high Ford sign.

I love duck, and will try to find this place.

My favourite duck used to have a cart, and now is in a open-air restaurant in a big lot across from the last 7-11 on Huay Keow rd. It is near the back. It is also on my food map (see post 21 of this thread!).

(Oops - sorry. I am a farang, and don't know 'jack-shit' about food :) )

Edited by wjmark

Please elaborate on Another reason is food is being overshadowed by the sex industry because I haven't a clue what you are talking about :huh:

The rising quality of food in Chiang Mai is certainly out-pacing the quality of the local sex industry. :(

Edited by Ulysses G.

The rising quality of food in Chiang Mai is certainly out-pacing the quality of the local sex industry. :(

Best line of the year!

Kuhn Churn on Nimmahaemin 17 is an outstanding food experience. It's vegetarian, but even a meat-eater like me hardly notices.

Prices are very reasonable, and it is a buffet.

Eat as long as you like.

As for directions, I think anyone with an internet connection should be able to find it. Very close to the main road, and it's well-marked.

The thing about what is great or best is really that thin red line to cross and venture out to really Tatse and excite your experience in the local food section .

i had spoken to many people and to them the greatest Food of all will be someone there ate in their home town server at the table on the street of a Chiangmai road store . in simple , yes i want adventure and taste bud excitement but i prefer eating what i know .

one man food is another poison . the local thai love the inside or Pig . and many great dish had been done with it . while the West grind it up and pack it into a hotdog the est . cut it into small chuck and grill it . if done correctly and clean is a very nice chewy dish with the right sauces.

the best food i had local is when my wife cook for me :) and show me today menu :)

what a great wife i got :)

hm.. maybe i should start a what is great food tour in chiangmai cos i do know many great food store .

(I woke up early this morning... so I decided to enter a pointless argument on the internet!)

... members here are mostly farangs whose taste of local food is not as important as the ambience. Most foreigners also think cheap food in CM is not hygenic...

Interesting that after you insult people you usually use a smiley :) .

I have a fantastic Google map of great local food. But I didn't post it as I don't like the insults and the racism. (I also hate smileys! <_< )

There is lots of great cheap food in Chiangmai (and not all is 'sex-burgers' or 'short-time pizza'). Too bad that you are not getting the help you ask for.

Don't worry, trust me. I won't tell others about the places. I am a Asian Chinese and I won't bring other farangs along...

tsk tsk

thank you for the list wjmark.

hello again,

have asked gf and se said try a place called the riverside, i think it's a good allrounder. it's on the river on the out of city side - you have to go accross the bridge that leads away from thaipae gate road and after you cross the bridge take immediate left and there's a string of places on the left few hundred meter up - she did also say something on the menu are good and some not so.

to be honest having been in thailand for a couple of years now i wud say no meals are outsdanding when first come here thai food seemed better .

what do you liek to eat and what have you been ordering off the menus ?

forget the chicken place if your after ambience - it's just cheap and lot of thais eat there.

other option is goto the best hotels and try some food there ? shangla is it ??

good luck,

how you getting omn by the way, found anything yet ?

chris

hi,

chris

hi,

chris

Sure thank you. Please ask your gf where is the place if the food is really oustanding..:)

Have you tried The Good View , on the river side - great food Thai and farang.

Cafe de Nimman at The Rooms complex on Nimmanheaminda Road.

There are 2 Kow Soi shops in Fha Haam (drive past Good View and go thru 2 sets of traffice lights 1 Kow Soi shop is on the right after the 2nd lights the other a bit furthe rup on the left next to the temple) , both prepared a bit differently but great food.

A problem with replying is there are so many good Thai local places to eat,, drive or walk and if you see lots of locals eating at aplace its probably pretty good.. Thais normally will not go into a place with no or only few customers.

I'm with UG on this one.

I mean most tourists and foreigners paid more attention to the "sex" attractions rather than the food. It's just one of the reasons.

Have you tried The Good View , on the river side - great food Thai and farang.

Cafe de Nimman at The Rooms complex on Nimmanheaminda Road.

There are 2 Kow Soi shops in Fha Haam (drive past Good View and go thru 2 sets of traffice lights 1 Kow Soi shop is on the right after the 2nd lights the other a bit furthe rup on the left next to the temple) , both prepared a bit differently but great food.

A problem with replying is there are so many good Thai local places to eat,, drive or walk and if you see lots of locals eating at aplace its probably pretty good.. Thais normally will not go into a place with no or only few customers.

Thank you for the info but what is "Kow Soi" shops ? What are their best food ?

hello again,

have asked gf and se said try a place called the riverside, i think it's a good allrounder. it's on the river on the out of city side - you have to go accross the bridge that leads away from thaipae gate road and after you cross the bridge take immediate left and there's a string of places on the left few hundred meter up - she did also say something on the menu are good and some not so.

to be honest having been in thailand for a couple of years now i wud say no meals are outsdanding when first come here thai food seemed better .

what do you liek to eat and what have you been ordering off the menus ?

forget the chicken place if your after ambience - it's just cheap and lot of thais eat there.

other option is goto the best hotels and try some food there ? shangla is it ??

good luck,

how you getting omn by the way, found anything yet ?

chris

chris,

Sorry I lost this thread recently because I don't see it in "my topics" column.

Thank you and your gf for the info but I think this place is more for ambience and quite pricey, right ?

Maybe I mixed up with Riverview ?

I am an Asian so when I eat, the food is more important than the ambience, unlike westerners :D I prefer to eat in cheap places but order more.

Among the Thai cheap food, my favourite is the basil leaves fried with minced meat but those 25 baht portion with an egg sold early in markets is too simple and little. I prefer them freshly done. Seafood tom yam(cleaar type), and noodle with mixed pork ingredients soup are my 3 top Thai food that I have tried. I maybe missing alot since I don't kn ow how to order and I have no Thai friends to help me order :(

My new year resolution is to discover at least 1 type of new Thai food or place to eat that is really good for every future visit :lol:

My next 2 trips, I am going with some friends so I need to show off some nice Thai food to them. I brag so much to them about Thai food to convince them to come along. I will prefer a non-aircond place, shop or store that sell freshly cook food. The type of place where we can order a few different dishes to share served with rice.,

Somehow, I find Thai food and Chinese food must be served hot and taste better in a non-air-con place.

I don't like to eat in hotels, unless for buffet.

Thank you again.

This sounds good but I hope the rising demand on taste & quality of "Thai" food will also out-pace the demand for sex among the farangs. :D