Chong Chom Immigration - Near Surin

I was trying to get a Thai drivers liscense in Surin the other day, and the office worker told me that I needed to go to some immigration and get a statement of address (whatever it's called) but that Chong Chom immigration was closed???

I just want to extend my tourist visa 30 days.

So has anyone been there lately?

If your referring to the immigration department office it has been moved to Korat. There is only a border crossing and office on the Thai side that expats can do a 90 day report at. A€ll other business is now done in Korat.

Location for immigration.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/388983-chok-chai-immigration-relocated/page__p__3798287#entry3798287

Edited by gotlost

OP - your post is a bit confusing - says a statement of address was needed for a driving license but you then say you only wanted a visa extension. When you say 'closed', if you mean on holiday, then see below. If they meant closed as in shut for that purpose, then I am surprised they did not give you the alternative. Sounds odd gotlost if it has been closed for that purpose; Korat is a different province and as far as I know every province around this part of Issaan has its own full service immigration office. POSTSCRIPT However have just re-looked at Immigration website and there is no address given for Surin province so you must be right. Maybe OP can go to Si Saket province's Immigration office instead - it may be nearer; see below.

OP - on the tourist visa extension, if what you now have is a 30 day right of stay without visa you will only get 7 days extension if you apply at an immigration office. A 'border run' would get you 15 days. I do not know the period you would get when extending a proper 30 day visa obtained before you came to Thailand.

I wanted to get a statement of address (we normally call it a certificate of residence on TV.com) for a driver's license from my immigration office in Si Saket province (Choam Sa Ngam) and phoned this morning Monday 6th December. They are answering and giving phone advice, but are closed for three days in honour of the King's Birthday.

3 days holiday - bit of a boondoggle for civil servants here!!

Per below Nakhon Ratchasima is responsible for Surin Province Immigration matters unless there has been a recent change.

5. Nakhon Ratchasima (นครราชสีมา) - - - Buriram (บุรีรัมย์) Surin (สุรินทร์)

Its a shame, as after trying 3 times in Hua Hin to get a statement of address I gave up and was near Chong Chom, so got one there in a few minutes free of charge and then a licence renewel in Surin.

Are you referring to the the immigration office at the boarder crossing.

Its a shame, as after trying 3 times in Hua Hin to get a statement of address I gave up and was near Chong Chom, so got one there in a few minutes free of charge and then a licence renewel in Surin.

Are you referring to the the immigration office at the boarder crossing.

No, it is befor the markets and from what I remember almost opposite a Bangkok Bank.....but it was three years ago now.

Ok sorry the confusing post.

Im on the first entry of a double entry 60 day tourist visa. My first 60 is almost up and I was planning on just going to Chong Chom for the 30 day extension. Then when that was up I was going to go there to go into Cambodia and back again to activate the second 60 etc...

That was the plan until I talked to that lady at the driving office and said that they are closed. Now mind you, we were talking about the Statement of Address/Certificate of Residency and not visa extensions so maybe she just meant that I cannot go to Chong Chom for the Certificate of Residency.

I need to extend my visa for the 30 days AND get the Certificate of Residency.

So I guess Im looking for clarity on if I can do all of this in Chong Chom or not, or if I will have to go to Korat, or what.

Sadly, they closed Kap Choeng, last year. Now all the happy little punters ,including me , must go to Korat. It is an awful long way.So, anyone living in Surin or Buriram Provinces ,must go to Korat .You cannot go to SiSaKet. We do our 90 day reports at Chong Chom. It is a border crossing point to go into Cambodia, so your standard tourist visas are issued there.