Royal Thai Consulate Brisbane

Just got back from a successful two week Visa Run/Vacation to Eastern Australia. Flew in to Gold Coast with Asia from KL arriving at 8:30am - we rented a car from Hertz and drove for about 1 hour directly to the Royal Thai Embassy in Brisbane which is on the outskirt of Brisbane in a more residential area making it easy to park your car for free. Be sure to have a GPS with your car rental as this will safe a lot of headache.

Having previously called the Brisbane consulate - we came prepared with:

Filled out form (from their website)

2 passport photos

A copy of the title to my Thailand apartment (in my name)

A Thai Bank Savings book

$225.00 (Australian)

The nice Thai ladies were very helpful and friendly - one of them checked all the above and with a smile she told me to come back in 30 minutes to pick up my passport with the completed visa :-).

We decided to wait outside the consulate as it wasn't really worth going anywhere for 30 minutes. We came back 30 minutes later, picked up the passport and all was in order - mission accomplished.

We stayed in Brisbane for a couple of nights then drove south along the Eastern Coast of Australia all the way to Sydney. Stayed in Sydney for 1 week and flew to Melbourne for 3 night. We flew Jet Star from Melbourne to Bangkok arriving at 8:30pm last night. Both Air Asia and Jet Star are quite good for budget airlines - BUT Jet Star would be my first choice.

I'm happy that next year I will be eligible for a retirement visa as the requirement for the Visa I just got seems to keep changing and the number of consulates willing to grant this visa for the above reasons are dwindling quicky.

The number of consulates willing to issue just based on having a condo in Thailand is indeed decreasing. Believe that having a condo is no longer an official reason to be granted a visa, unless it meets the requirements for receiving a visa based on investment.

The number of consulates willing to issue just based on having a condo in Thailand is indeed increasing. Believe that having a condo is no longer an official reason to be granted a visa, unless it meets the requirements for receiving a visa based on investment.

Hi Mario: Based on the content of you reply, I think you meant "decreasing" not "increasing" - lol. Here are the reasons why I said I am happy that next I will be qualified to apply for a retirement visa:

1. I used to get my Non-O on the basis of visiting friends/relative from the Royal Thai Consulate in Bali until finally they said "NO MORE" - must be married to A Thai they said.

2. Then Last year I got my Non-O on the basis of visiting friends/relative from the Royal Thai Consulate in Perth until they closed their office pernanently last October

3. Thank God for Brisbane for issuing my last Non-O on the basis of Owning a Condo in Thailand.

The number of consulates willing to issue just based on having a condo in Thailand is indeed increasing. Believe that having a condo is no longer an official reason to be granted a visa, unless it meets the requirements for receiving a visa based on investment.

Hi Mario: Based on the content of you reply, I think you meant "decreasing" not "increasing" - lol. Here are the reasons why I said I am happy that next I will be qualified to apply for a retirement visa:

(...)

:sorry: indeed I meant decreasing, so I have edited my original post to avoid confusion.

Good to see it all went smoothly for you. The drive down to Sydney has some nice stops along the way. Also by flying out of Melbourne you probably got a very good Jetstar deal back to Thailand. Good to hear a successful story.

How much money did they require in you Thai bank book and did it need to be there for any particular period of time/

No minium amount is required and no time requirement - although I imagine the more money you have in your bank book the merrier. I think they just want to make sure you're not a dead beat. The most important is The Title to your Condo in Thailand in your own name.

• 3 months later...

How much money did they require in you Thai bank book and did it need to be there for any particular period of time/

No minium amount is required and no time requirement - although I imagine the more money you have in your bank book the merrier. I think they just want to make sure you're not a dead beat. The most important is The Title to your Condo in Thailand in your own name.

How many times using this method have you extended your multi entry visa?I went to brisbane and applied for an education visa and they gave me a multi entry visa by mistake,i'm flying back to briz again soon..So can i purchase any condo of any price and they will give me another 12month multi entrant visa?

How many times using this method have you extended your multi entry visa?I went to brisbane and applied for an education visa and they gave me a multi entry visa by mistake,i'm flying back to briz again soon..So can i purchase any condo of any price and they will give me another 12month multi entrant visa?

I've been here for the past 4.5 years on multiple Non-O and here is my Visa history:

Year 1 - Bali Thai Consulate, Non-O Based on owning a condo in Thailand

Year 2 - Bali Thai Consulate, Non-O Based on owning a condo in Thailand

Year 3 - went to Bali but they said - Sorry Can't give you Non-O based on owning a condo anymore :annoyed:

so I flew to Perth and got it based on visiting friends :rolleyes:

Year 4 - (Last November) Perth closed last year in October permanently :annoyed: - thank GOD for Brisbane :rolleyes:

I will be 50 years old this coming August - so I can finally go the Non-OA route (aka Retirement Visa).

I really don't know how long Brisbane will continue giving Non-O based on owning a condo here in Thailand - but one thing is for sure, they're not going to make it any easier :jap: Good luck.

In August you can just go to immirgaiton and ask for an extension of stay based on eretirement if you than can show:

800,000 in the bank for 2 months

OR

65,000 a month income

OR

a combination of money in the bank and yearly income totaling 800,000.

There is no need to go abroad to get a new visa first.

• 5 months later...

I'm not sure of the Canberra times but this may be of help to you.

The Royal Thai Consulate in Hobart promises a 12 hour turn-around

plus postage times.

Seems like the way to go.

Regards

Will

wow! do you have a link? so express post 1 day each way plus 1 day process

Believe that having a condo is no longer an official reason to be granted a visa, unless it meets the requirements for receiving a visa based on investment.

Indeed, believe Hull was told to cease and desist, on both the 'visiting friends' and 'condo ownership' criteria.

But, the following is still on the Portland, Oregon, website:

O (Other) - Marriage certificate and proof of spouse's Thai citizenship, Letter of invitation from volunteer organization in Thailand, proof of condo or home ownership.

Hmmmm. Anybody tried this option with Portland?