Fuji & Sushi

luudee

I really love sushi, sashimi to be presize.

I have been a Fuji customer for over 10 years, and it seems

that the last couple of years the quality of their raw fish

offerings has declined dramatically. First they replaced Yellow

Tail (hamachi) with some cheap local alternative that tastes

like crap. Now, the tuna cuts have so much tendons and other

junk, that you can barely chew it. Half of the time I return

the Tuna.

The only place that I know now that has decent sashimi, is Zen

at central. But thats a bit out of my way to go there every day.

I don't like driving down town.

Does anybody know of a decent Sushi place close to Teprasit ?

Thanks,

rudi

Hi, had a very nice shashimi lunch in the Patpong area. One of the last Soi's before the Christian Hospital ( which one I can t remember ) is lined with quite a few japanese restaurants and sushi places. It's one that has a kind of silvery/grey front with only one small door entering , a bit hard to find. Sorry I have no card from the place.

The have three types of TUNA shashimi, the most expensive 0ne however 3000 BAHT ( the highest fat tuna meat ) , they start however at 260 Baht for a nice tuna raw meat shashimi.

Regarding Fuji, believe it or not, the meat of tuna still gets imported from japan ( you can buy an occasional chunk of tuna on the local fish markets but these have been transported around and around and i would not try to eat them raw as the risk is high they have been emprinted with worms ) and the tuna catch is on heavy declline world wide. They seas are strongly overfished, and i believe the best pieces of tuna go to high paying restaurnats, and chains like fuji now tend to buy 2nd or even 3rd grade. Warehouses in Japan are filled, but all this is older catch.

Raw tuna shashimi is, as the big bluefin tunas are on decline world wide , becoming a luxury food more and more. They are on the verge of extinction, it is disputed to put a ban on catching tuna to give the stock a chance for recovering. If you believe it or not, the truth will have to be seen on customers platters before anything will happen. You are endeavouring the first glimpses of a tragedy on your food platter which has not fully reached awareness.

Is Zen at Central better than Zen at Royal Garden? I definitely prefer Zen over Fuji.

In my opinion YES ! Raw Fish seems to be really fresh, and overall

everything appears to be better prepared.

rudi

I have no problem with the tuna at Fuji being 'full of tendons' and it pretty much melts in my mouth. However, it is not a high grad and the taste is not that strong. There is another, local fish that comes with some sets that sounds like what the OP is describing, but it is not tuna.

I have no problem with the tuna at Fuji being 'full of tendons' and it pretty much melts in my mouth. However, it is not a high grad and the taste is not that strong. There is another, local fish that comes with some sets that sounds like what the OP is describing, but it is not tuna.

It is definitely tuna what they are serving - at least that's what they are selling it as.

rudi