My Girlfriends Pregnant.... What Happens?

Mrnakhonsawan

Hello everyone! Well me and my girlfriend live in nakhon sawan im 19 and shes 22 she now 4 months pregnant which we are both very happy about! What i wanted to know is, what do or will we have to do to get him/her a bristish passport? We aren't married and i read somewhere about options for me to become the legal father :S? What is the easiest and quickest route to do that? What are the prices for her to get a vip room in the hosptiol to have our baby? I know they vary but any round about would be good. Also we want our baby to have my second name even though we are not married is this doable and easy enough???

Thanks alot for any replys!

Easiest way, get married.

Get affiliation to get married from your embassy.

Translate to Thai.

Get the translation verified at ministry of foreign affairs (MFA).

Go to the Amphur and register the marriage.

Change her last name to yours and the baby will have it to.

VIP rooms in nakhon sawan?

No idea.

Edited by PoorSucker

Congratulations, that's bound to change your life :)

Registering the marriage is one option, if you do then you also accept to take joint responsibility for any debt that your wife build up regardless of if you know about and benefit from it or not

Legitimization and shared custody in the juvenile court in Nakhon Sawan is a formality more or less (since the mother agree to legitimization and shared custody) and any local layer with experience in family law can do it. I'd guess 30 to 50,000 bath up there (for a lawyer who don't speak good English), not a difficult path

Mother can decide to use fathers name if she wants, my daughter has my surname and I am not married to the mother

Good Luck Proud Daddy

VIP rooms?

Forgot, you normally take packages which include everything (but you of course pay extras anyway). 20 to 40 thousand should be a good range up there, 25,000 will buy you good service and good rooms I would think. Do what the Thais do, call and check the different hospitals - don't choose the most expensive one - giving birth is not rocket science, millions do it and doctors know how to handle it :)

Mikey

get married at Amphur office.

Have baby in hospital for the King ...... 30bht

The hospital for the king is as good as anywhere, but doesn't have the 'boasting power' of a private hospital.

Thais do love to boast ...... when it isn't their money paying the bills.

Edited by sarahsbloke

Agree with sarahsbloke, government hospitals are perfectly OK. They are cheap so staff will not have the same time to spend on consultation and advice of course, waiting times are longer and you as father will (most likely) not be allowed to join for the birth but apart from that, they're fine, they know what they are doing, knowledge is perfectly OK :)

Edited by MikeyIdea

Use your most affordable money to buy your partner and your child the best maternity services available.

If you ever skimp and should one in a million chance something should go very wrong,

would you want to regret the rest of your earthly life....

what you could have and what you should have.... but you didn't....

spurge on your own flesh and blood and your partner.... whatever you can afford.... is mho :coffee1:

Your child will be able to have a British Passport married or not! just make sure that the birth certificate is correct! the hospital well. if you are going to use a Thai. Government one, my advice would be to have the preg. watched over by a Doctor that works there and runs a private clinic connected to it, most have these private clinics and you will have to pay, but well worth it! :rolleyes:

I dont understand why people are telling me to go to better hospitals. He's 19 in sakhon nawan, he can only be a teacher(with pretty poor English.. "replys", lol) .. My advice is.. Find someone with a future/money , Get your gf to fall in love with him and get out of the picture.

Otherwise, move to england with her. Get the baby there in a proper hospital and get a job/education there. Stay with your parents as well. Your parent's second chance.

Agree with sarahsbloke, government hospitals are perfectly OK. They are cheap so staff will not have the same time to spend on consultation and advice of course, waiting times are longer and you as father will (most likely) not be allowed to join for the birth but apart from that, they're fine, they know what they are doing, knowledge is perfectly OK :)

Mrs. Speed had both our children in the same private hospital because it was close by (something to consider as babies have their own schedule) and we liked the GYN. But while I was able to be there and video the birth of our first child which was also one of the criteria we had for choosing them, the b'stards waited until the day of our second boys birth to notify us that I could not go in this time.

I was livid and it took everything I had not to go ballistic and end up spending the delivery in jail as they stole from me a lifetime event I can never get back nor share with my boy when they had 9 months to notify us of the policy change and I had already done so with my first boy :angry::annoyed: ..

They had to clear out a room that was being used for storage too as I guess there was a rush on deliveries and it hadn't been cleaned in some time and the maid came in and just wet mopped down the floor with some nasty mop and not even any disinfectant.

The bathroom had mold and stains all over it and no one took notice in spite of my mentioning it several times. The maid did manage to wipe it down with a nasty unsantized cloth though :rolleyes: ...

So, I went home and got brushes, sponges, cleaners and bleach and violated my visa by cleaning the bathroom spotlessly without a work permit while my wife was giving birth without me :angry: ..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Be aware that if you do not marry, under Thai law you will have no relation to or rights in regard to the child, at least not without going through complicated and expensive legal proceedings.

Heard many a sad tale over the years of relationships gone sour and father unable to access his child....Not that this will happen to you, but it is a risk to be aware of.

Also should understand that out of wedlock births are not as common or accepted in Thailand as in the West and in my experience a Thia woman will definitely expect you to marry her if there's a baby coming...and tend to react very badly if that doesn't happen. It puts her in a very awkward position in her society, with her family etc and many would see it as a betrayal and lack of love.

Just some thoughts...

As for the delivery, govt hospitals are fine in terms of safety but make it a provincial hosp, not a district one. Many of them do in fact have if not VIP then at least private rooms. Also, govt hospitals are much less likely to push for an unnecessary c-section while the privates are notorious for doing so.

However govt hospital will not let you be in the delivery room, so if that's important for you may want to shop around.

Mrs. Speed had both our children in the same private hospital because it was close by (something to consider as babies have their own schedule) and we liked the GYN. But while I was able to be there and video the birth of our first child which was also one of the criteria we had for choosing them, the b'stards waited until the day of our second boys birth to notify us that I could not go in this time.

I was livid and it took everything I had not to go ballistic and end up spending the delivery in jail as they stole from me a lifetime event I can never get back nor share with my boy when they had 9 months to notify us of the policy change and I had already done so with my first boy :angry::annoyed: ..

They had to clear out a room that was being used for storage too as I guess there was a rush on deliveries and it hadn't been cleaned in some time and the maid came in and just wet mopped down the floor with some nasty mop and not even any disinfectant.

The bathroom had mold and stains all over it and no one took notice in spite of my mentioning it several times. The maid did manage to wipe it down with a nasty unsantized cloth though :rolleyes: ...

So, I went home and got brushes, sponges, cleaners and bleach and violated my visa by cleaning the bathroom spotlessly without a work permit while my wife was giving birth without me :angry: ..

I'll drink to that.

More power to you, Mr. Speed.

You definitely are the Man. :jap:

If not married, no right under the thai law? I would of guess when your child has dual nationality, thais are not gonna try to start a war over it? My kid was born here, getting any thai papers for him is a pain in the ass (house registration and whatnot..? what kind of stupid crap is that) yet he has his foreign passport(used many times) and his foreign birth certificate.. My guess is if something were to happen.. His thai part would be the lesser law wise.

Foreign countries do not care about whatever happens to their adults in Thailand but child theft is something that makes governments react.

The hospital for the king is as good as anywhere, but doesn't have the 'boasting power' of a private hospital.

If you believe that you can have a child delivered for 30 Baht like this guy suggests, then go back to sleep and keep dreaming. It will never happen.

I'll drink to that.

More power to you, Mr. Speed.

You definitely are the Man. :jap:

An unexpected cheers!!!................................. I think <_<:unsure: ??

Edited by WarpSpeed

It is important for you to understand your girlfriends wishes as to where she wants to give birth as well. My situation a couple of years ago was we were in a position where we could get the best birth money can buy in the UK but chose for my wife to return to her rural village 45 mins from Nong Khai.

The reasoning for this was it would far less stressful for her than having the baby in the UK where she was struggling to understand what was happenning and she would also have felt out of her depth at a private big city/BKK hospital.

She had our daughter at the local government hospital which had all the facilities needed and handled an emergency c-section at the last minute. Since this was a well worn path that the whole family/village was used to it was far less stressfull for her and the VIP Room for 5 days after cost very little - all in it was about 2k baht for the delivery and 1200 baht a night for the room.

For our next child I will have no hesitation going the same route since, provided the medical facilities are adequate, the most important thing to me is to keep my with comfortable and relaxed as possible. The cost is a secondary issue to this along with my own needs though not being able to speak Thai at the time and being reliant on my wife for translation did make it far more stressful to me as there was nobody to explain to me what was going on!

If you believe that you can have a child delivered for 30 Baht like this guy suggests, then go back to sleep and keep dreaming. It will never happen.

I have 3 children. All born in a government hospital, no cost. I did pay for a private room at 600 Baht. The wife stayed 3 nights, total 1,800 Baht. Basically giving birth in a government hospital is free, if the wife stays in the communal ward.

Edited by sinbin

Thank you everyone for the replies. Goiod to know our baby can take my second name without marriage. My girlfriend is from Banpong and we wont be able to go up there for the birth. We are happy to do it in Nakhon sawan. We will be getting married some time next year after our baby is born, that has already been talked about with the mum. I would love to be in the room for the birth so that is something ill have to look into, thank you very much everyone!

Good Luck mrNS

Be supportive to your love during the pregnancy, do nicely tell her if/when she goes too far, always keep your patience and stay calm, suggest to your girl that she does the same. You will hear of and see a lot of mostly useless things that pregnant girls must do in Thailand, no matter how much workaround in nature they are or plain useless perhaps, let her do them if she wants to, they aren't going to hurt the child.

It's easy to go into a relationship and make a family, it's more difficult to keep it together; open communication and follow through yourself first is a very good start

Good Luck

Are babies with a farang father and Thai mother eligible for dual-citizenship? Someone told me before that such a child cannot obtain a Thai passport if they have a foreign passport and that the child has until the age of 15 or 16 to decide whether they want Thai citizenship for citizenship of another country. All that sounded kind of odd to me, so I was just hoping to get it verified.

Would have posted this question in a new thread, but thought the OP may have the same questions.

Hope you're on good terms with the maid so she doesn't turn you over to the Labor Dept. whistling.gif

Are babies with a farang father and Thai mother eligible for dual-citizenship? Someone told me before that such a child cannot obtain a Thai passport if they have a foreign passport and that the child has until the age of 15 or 16 to decide whether they want Thai citizenship for citizenship of another country. All that sounded kind of odd to me, so I was just hoping to get it verified.

Would have posted this question in a new thread, but thought the OP may have the same questions.

Depends totally on country. Thai law allows dual citizenship regardless of age, child does not have to choose "which nationality to keep" when they reach 20. Internet should have info about your country

Depends totally on country. Thai law allows dual citizenship regardless of age, child does not have to choose "which nationality to keep" when they reach 20. Internet should have info about your country

I'm American and my government has no problem with people having dual-citizenship...just didn't know if the Thai government was the same. Thanks for the information...nice to know there won't be any issues with a child having both US and Thai citizenship.